Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
DisOrBust
Tag Fairy does tags only, the Avatar Fairy must have done that one!

Help leave wed hwy 1

The plan was Monterey to Cambria via Hwy 1 then the road washed out now I figure we would take N. Ferguson road to hwy 1 and go up to J. Pfiefer state park But now there is a slid 3 miles south of Gorda. Can I not go south on hwy 1 form the N. Fergeson road to Camvbria? Otherwise I need to take 101 and that ruins the whole idea of driving Hwy 1.

This just sucks!
DisOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

So sorry for your disappointment. Yes, your alternative is 101. As of this weekend, there is a big slide at Alder Creek that will take at least a month to repair. This is in addition to the slide at Rocky Creek that will take at least until mid-May to repair.

http://www.mercurynews.com/central-c...nclick_check=1
http://www.oldwestnewwest.com/201104...-problems.html

If it were just one or the other, you could use Nacimiento Road to cross over from 101. But there are now slides both north and south of Nacimiento.

Again, sorry for your disappointment. But people don't always realize how geologically unstable this whole section of Highway 1 is. There's generally some kind of slide that closes the highway nearly every winter (rainy season). Usually it's just a couple of days. This winter, though, was unusually wet, causing an abnormal amount of sliding. Sorry.

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
GrandBob

Good news! The local news just reported that CalTrans intends to open the northern section, at Rocky Creek, this Thursday! They'll install a traffic light to allow traffic through one direction at a time, because they've only fixed one lane. But it's open. The southern slide at Alder Creek will still take a month to fix.

So first, yes, you'll need to take 101 north from San Luis Obispo; or at least, from Paso Robles. You can, if you wish, continue on 1 up to Cambria and then take CA 46 across to 101. But I'd go ahead and just take 101 from SLO.

After that, you could cut back to the coast on Nacimiento Road. From just north of Bradley, take county road G18 (Jolon Rd) toward Jolon. At Jolon, you'll be in Fort Hunter-Liggett, and you'll need to make a couple of turns to find Nacimiento Road. You'll need a GPS or a good map. Be warned - Nacimiento Road is a beautiful drive, with killer views of the coast as you descend. But it's also a slow road. It will take you a while to get back to Highway 1. If you have plenty of time, it's a great drive.

But if you don't have that much time, then if I were you, I'd just take 101 to Salinas and CA 68 to Monterey. Then take a day trip south on Highway 1 to Big Sur and Pfeiffer State Park. The town of Big Sur is only 26 miles south of Carmel; this will be a lot quicker than the Nacimiento route. Stop for lunch at Nepenthe's Restaurant, just south of the town of Big Sur. Killer views! You can continue as far south down the coast as you like (until Alder Creek), and then head back north to Monterey.

This plan gets you most of the scenery of the Big Sur coast, but avoids the long drive down Nacimiento Road.

In any case, have a great trip!

-Bob

Last edited by GrandBob; 04-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
DisOrBust
Tag Fairy does tags only, the Avatar Fairy must have done that one!

LOVE YOU BOB!!

I heard at Rocky creek its open only till 8am. WE are in Carmel and hope to hit that area before 8 but now thats not a worry right? Then go down hwy 1 to N. Ferguson road cut over to hwy 101 and get to Cambria that way. Am I good to go??

We are spending the day at Point Lobos on Friday and Saturday hopefully at Pfeifer. Hiking at both if you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear. Since i'm from the midwest do I have to worry about being run over on the hwy,lol?
DisOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
GrandBob

Glad to help, DisOrBust. I have to admit, at first I was confused about your reference to Ferguson Rd. Never heard of it. I had to look at a map, and see that the correct name is Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. But everyone just calls it Nacimiento Rd. Yes, you can go down Highway 1 through Big Sur and take Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd over toward 101. It climbs quickly over the Santa Lucia range, giving great views of the Big Sur coast and the ocean. But it is kinda slow. When you get into Fort Hunter-Liggett, you'll want to go through the village of Jolon, and then take Jolon Rd toward Bradley (to the right; if you turn left, you'll still get to 101, but all the way back at King City).

There's so much to do in Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur, it's hard to advise. Yes, Point Lobos is one of our jewels, and a favorite of mine. Great day hikes. You are going to the aquarium, right? It's one of the best in the country, even if I am biased (I work for the sister organization, MBARI). Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is a good choice, with more good hiking and a redwood forest. While there, ask for directions to Pfeiffer Beach. It's a little hard to find, down a one-lane road; but it's a real jewel, also. So picturesque, you'll think you're in a movie -- indeed, The Sandpiper with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton was shot there.

And have lunch at Nepenthe's. Killer views. Food's a little pricey, though.

Have a great trip!

-Bob

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: