Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #1531
nedac
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise View Post
Ok on the same lines as this question....

how do I transfer the pictures I have taken on my iphone to my computer? I looked at itunes while my phone was connected and it only says to sync the pics from my computer TO the phone. Nothing for the other way...any help or suggestions? (oh and my pictures are of the dog too!!!)
You can open your iPhone files just like you would a digital camera. When you plug it in to a pc, it should ask if you would like to open a folder and view the files. From there you can simply drag and drop into another folder.

You can also import the pics with most picture editing software. I use picasa. It's the best free picture editing software out there. The software should recognize your phone as a camera and import pics accordingly.
February 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
April 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek
October 2011 - All Star Music
October 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2009 - All Star Movies
November 2008 - POP Century
October 2007-POP Century
November 2006 - All-Star Movies
May 2000 - Off-site
July 1997 - Off-site
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #1532
worldfamous
Mouseketeer

RideHeights

Try RideHeights - Orlando. It's not fancy but it comes in handy. My son is 5. Every trip he's typically tall enough to ride another new ride. However, he's still too short for some. It also has Universal and SeaWorld.

worldfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #1533
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

I'm starting to stray. I've fallen in love with the Atrix Android phone with lapdock. That iPhone 5 better be really something to keep me in the collective.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #1534
GSLand
Mouseketeer

Finally got an iPhone.
Favorite apps so far (I have seen several on this thread I want to try):

Dictionary
Bejeweled
Daily Show
Flashlight
Gas Buddy
Scrabble
UNO
Local News (WRAL)
GSLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #1535
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

I can't believe what might be happening!

My guy has become a real fan of Apple products. He has had four iPods, the most recent an iPod Touch. He has a Mac computer. He bought the first iPad, sold it when he got the iPad 2.

Now, he wants to go to the Apple store in Boston to talk about the iPhone and phone contracts. It seems being connected only in WIFI land with the iPod Touch and having Verizon data plan for iPad is not enough.

He thinks he needs (wants?) an iPhone!!!
This is someone who talks to people on a phone maybe two hours per year!

I think what he really wants is an inexpensive data (not phone) plan for the iPod Touch. Will that be coming soon?

Last edited by mainegal; 04-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #1536
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegal View Post
I can't believe what might be happening!

My guy has become a real fan of Apple products. He has had four iPods, the most recent an iPod Touch. He has a Mac computer. He bought the first iPad, sold it when he got the iPad 2.

Now, he wants to go to the Apple store in Boston to talk about the iPhone and phone contracts. It seems being connected only in WIFI land with the iPod Touch and having Verizon data plan for iPad is not enough.

He thinks he needs (wants?) an iPhone!!!
This is someone who talks to people on a phone maybe two hours per year!

I think what he really wants is aninexpensive data (not phone) plan for the iPod Touch. Will that be coming soon?
I don't talk on the phone much either, but wouldn't give up my iPhone. Having a data connection all the time is great.

I think it is highly unlikely that we will see an iPod touch data plan. I guess never say never, but it's nothing I've ever heard of in the rumor mill.

If he wants to have data on both an iPhone and iPad, he might consider getting an iPhone with a tethering plan and cancelling the data plan for the iPad. Then he can share a data connection between both devices. At least that way he's only paying for one data plan.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #1537
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsar View Post
I don't talk on the phone much either, but wouldn't give up my iPhone. Having a data connection all the time is great.

I think it is highly unlikely that we will see an iPod touch data plan. I guess never say never, but it's nothing I've ever heard of in the rumor mill.

If he wants to have data on both an iPhone and iPad, he might consider getting an iPhone with a tethering plan and cancelling the data plan for the iPad. Then he can share a data connection between both devices. At least that way he's only paying for one data plan.
I have heard that iPhone monthly fees are around $70. True? That seems like a lot of money.

The data plan for the iPad is $15 - $20.

If he does get an iPhone, can it also tether to my iPod Touch? No, I guess that would not work.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #1538
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have heard that iPhone monthly fees are around $70. True? That seems like a lot of money.

The data plan for the iPad is $15 - $20.

If he does get an iPhone, can it also tether to my iPod Touch? No, I guess that would not work.
I'm not sure whether you are AT&T or Verizon? But the fees will of course depend on what kind of phone plan you need (number of minutes, texting, etc.) Both require a minimum voice plan. That $70 minimum estimate probably includes data.

We are on a family plan, which works well for us because I use very few minutes and my husband uses a lot more, but we share the minutes so it's more economical for us. If you are both low minute users, you may find family plans to be a good deal. You don't both have to use iPhones of course.

Regarding the iPhone data plans, I don't know about Verizon. But on AT&T they have a $15 plan that gets you 200 MB and a $25 plan for 2 GB. If you want tethering, it's $45 and you get 4 GB which you can share among any devices that have WiFi - so yes, your iPod touch can tether to it, as can the iPad, as well as laptops or anything else that can use WiFi. I think the limit is 5 devices at a time. I'm not sure what the Verizon plans cost, but I think they are in the same ballpark, though they vary a bit. The tethering basically makes the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot, so connecting to it is like connecting to any WiFi hotspot. You can also tether with USB or Bluetooth to devices that have that.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #1539
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The tethering basically makes the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot, so connecting to it is like connecting to any WiFi hotspot. You can also tether with USB or Bluetooth to devices that have that.
If his iPhone is the WiFi hotspot and he goes out of the house with his iPhone, does that mean that I no long er have internet access for the notebook computer or the iPad at home?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #1540
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If his iPhone is the WiFi hotspot and he goes out of the house with his iPhone, does that mean that I no long er have internet access for the notebook computer or the iPad at home?
Yes. The hotspot has to be relatively near to what's using it, just like any kind of wireless router (i.e., if you took your home wireless router out of the house, nothing could use it).
Old 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #1541
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes. The hotspot has to be relatively near to what's using it, just like any kind of wireless router (i.e., if you took your home wireless router out of the house, nothing could use it).
Could the hotspot be attached to something more likely to stay home, such as the apple notebook computer or the apple iPad?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #1542
sarahsar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Could the hotspot be attached to something more likely to stay home, such as the apple notebook computer or the apple iPad?
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking - the hotspot feature goes with the iPhone. Unfortunately, they haven't made it available for the iPad, and I don't think they have plans to (although I'm sure it's possible with jailbreaking). Do you have internet access in your home like cable or DSL? If so, your best (as well as cheapest and fastest) option is to get a wireless router that stays in your house. Then that would serve as a hotspot for any wireless devices you want to use at home.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #1543
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

"Hotspot" is just another (relatively new) term for a wireless (wi-fi) router, although there is am implied meaning of it being related to mobile devices.

If you want a permanent hotspot in your house, get a wireless router - don't depend on a phone to do it.

The hotspot feature of the latest phones is a convenience allowing you to use the phone as a router for other devices, and therefore allow use of the 3G/4G network for laptops, etc.

If you have internet service at home, you'd likely find that performance would be far better with a standard wireless router than using the phone's hotspot feature.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #1544
mainegal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
"Hotspot" is just another (relatively new) term for a wireless (wi-fi) router, although there is am implied meaning of it being related to mobile devices.

If you want a permanent hotspot in your house, get a wireless router - don't depend on a phone to do it.

The hotspot feature of the latest phones is a convenience allowing you to use the phone as a router for other devices, and therefore allow use of the 3G/4G network for laptops, etc.

If you have internet service at home, you'd likely find that performance would be far better with a standard wireless router than using the phone's hotspot feature.
We do have DSL internet at home with wireless router through Fairpoint phone company. But it is not very good. The iPad with 3G from Verizon sometimes works better.

We were hoping we could drop the $27 a month we pay Fairpoint for telephone and internet if we have to start paying $70 - over $100 for iPhones.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #1545
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
We do have DSL internet at home with wireless router through Fairpoint phone company. But it is not very good. The iPad with 3G from Verizon sometimes works better.

We were hoping we could drop the $27 a month we pay Fairpoint for telephone and internet if we have to start paying $70 - over $100 for iPhones.
Was that the iPad bundled with the "MiFi" device or whatever they called it? If that is the case, the MiFi could stay home and give you another option. You should be able to "tether" to that as well (it is basically like a hotspot-enabled phone, without the phone part...)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: