Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #76
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Joining in. It'll be interesting to see your perspective on the same cruise we were on.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14 ~ 6/14 ~ 11/14
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #77
gunghomom
Mouseketeer

Yay, I'm so excited you're writing this. We really wanted to meet you guys on the trip after reading everything before - even hoped to see you on the dolphin thing. Looking here I don't think I saw you, but my daughters think they did. We're writing one, and hope to put it up soon. So excited to follow yours!
gunghomom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #78
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
Joining in. It'll be interesting to see your perspective on the same cruise we were on.
Hi Shay!! Thanks for joining!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #79
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunghomom View Post
Yay, I'm so excited you're writing this. We really wanted to meet you guys on the trip after reading everything before - even hoped to see you on the dolphin thing. Looking here I don't think I saw you, but my daughters think they did. We're writing one, and hope to put it up soon. So excited to follow yours!
Hi!!! I was kind of looking for you then too, but I couldn't figure out for sure if I ever saw you or not. I'm pretty sure we weren't in the same group. I can't wait to read yours as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #80
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I forgot to mention that I did call Skip when we landed and told him of all the delays in the air, etc. Of course he laughed again at me. He knows how I get when things don’t go right. I usually get panicky and uptight. But since we didn’t HAVE to be anywhere tonight, (like a park), I was actually doing fine. The only things we had to do was get checked into our hotel and get something to eat. The rest of the night was for relaxation.

Now things get a little stressful when we leave the airport. I think we were on the road somewhere between 6:30 and 6:45. I have printed out various maps/directions for our trip. I hand the paper to Dad as he is riding shotgun. I basically say, “where to” as I am driving. I did the directions from the actual airport address, rather than the Alamo lot. This confuses Dad. He tells me to find a certain road. I tell him we just turned off that rode, what's the next direction, and he just keeps saying find “this” road. I finally just ripped them out of his hands and handed them back to mom. I tell her I just need the route to get to and I can follow signs. It takes a minute to figure it out and by this time I have turned again, but not sure if it was right, so I go and make a U-turn and wait for Mom’s reply. Dad is having a fit that I am doing this. Mom finds the route and we make another U-turn and are basically back where we were a few minutes ago, but now I KNOW we are heading in the right direction. Again Dad is having a fit that we wasted time. I told him we had no where to be tonight and we’ll be just fine.
I started to worry a bit then. Dad was going to be alone for 3 days and he couldn’t even find his way out of the airport. I sure hoped this wasn’t going to lead to another “mishap”.

We made great time traveling to the port area. We saw the damage left by the storms as we drove. There were trees uprooted everywhere. Though I must add, though it looked bad, you could tell that the roots are not very deep on these trees.
As we approached the Port Area you could see a Carnival Ship docked and all lit up. It was very pretty.
I think we got to Residence Inn in just over an hour. The route is pretty empty, with not many exciting looking exits. It is a toll road, and I had brought a little change bag full of quarters. Dads job was to fish them out to me as we approached a booth. Of course there were a few arguments about which booth to go to at times.

We arrived at Residence Inn around 7:40. I ran in to check us in. Mom was starving and told me to find a place to eat. Check in was a breeze. I noticed that we had just missed the “free” supper they had offered that night. It closed at 7:30. But that was fine. I think it was just burgers.
The desk clerk told me to go to Fish Lips. I had read about this place and the reviews seemed good. He gave me a map, and drew a line for the route.

Looks pretty easy, doesn’t it?

I ran back out to the van and told everyone which direction our room was, but we decided to eat first. Here is another “mishap” that I am so happy didn’t turn out bad. This van had the gear shift on the dash….really? the dash? This was very weird to me. When I got out, I had never put it in park. The van was STILL in drive when I got in. Thank goodness it didn’t move an inch. My Dad was amazed that it had just sat still the whole time.
I found this gear shifter thing to be a pain the whole trip and this isn’t the only incident I had with it.

I hand the map to Dad and take off without really reading it myself. I ask Dad which road I need to turn on. He can’t see. It’s dark, and we can’t find the light to turn on for him. Mom says she can’t see in the dark either. I could see it, but not drive at the same time. It was kind of comical. I just kept saying, give me a name of the road, and no one could. I was sure I had past it as we got into a very unpopulated area about 2 miles down the road. I pulled over. Looked at the map and sure enough it was the road I thought it was and had passed a ways back. So we turned around and made our way there.
There were several places lined up along the water, but we eventually found it and found a parking space NOT too far away.

We were seated right away.

Our table was right next to a big window and we could look out and see the water and the big Carnival ship.

After we ordered Claire and I walked outside to look at the water. Our table was right next to the door. It was fairly warm out, but very windy.
A server was walking by out there and offered to take our picture. I said sure and switched the settings on my camera and handed over the SLR with a little uneasiness.
I smiled while he tried to put the Carnival ship in the background. I wanted him to just hurry up. I didn’t want him to drop my camera. I knew the ship wouldn’t really show up anyways. A couple of older gentleman walked by and one told the server he would take it because he was a former professional photographer. That made me a feel a little more at ease. He actually held the camera safely.
He asked me what settings I use, and I told him usually manual, but I had set it to auto for the other guy. He set it to P and turned the flash on and tried a couple of shots. The pictures weren’t that great, but it was still nice to get a picture taken with Claire.

We talked a bit about photography and he gave me some of his opinions. It was a nice chat. Claire and I then went back in and our food still hadn’t come.
I decided to walk out to the van and get my phone that I left out there. On the way in I took this picture of Claire on my phone and texted it to family and friends.

I’m not to good with the camera phone. I can’t figure out how to make the flash work, so this picture is pretty awful.

Last edited by jenseib; 04-17-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #81
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Yikes on the having a hard time getting around.

Glad you found your hotel and the restaurant safely. Looks like you and Claire were having a nice time outside the restaurant, can't wait to see how the rest of your evening pans out.
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #82
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
Yikes on the having a hard time getting around.

Glad you found your hotel and the restaurant safely. Looks like you and Claire were having a nice time outside the restaurant, can't wait to see how the rest of your evening pans out.
We made it and thats all that mattered at the time!! Dad seems to get stressed over really dumb stuff.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #83
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Nice update. We've done that in the past...we'll get directions from the airport and not the car lot which can throw you off a little because you do go out a different street (thankfully, we know Orlando like the back of our hand now and have no problems).
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #84
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I see that you have started your TR. I was waiting for it, but I see I arrived a few pages late. I was in Holmes county OH. for a few days with no computer!

Anyway, here I am enoying the trip!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #85
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Nice update. We've done that in the past...we'll get directions from the airport and not the car lot which can throw you off a little because you do go out a different street (thankfully, we know Orlando like the back of our hand now and have no problems).
I can usually find my way ok. And I did that part, but I just needed the route to find, and Dad wouldn't even read the next sentence to tell me what was up. LOL! He was set on finding a road that we had already been on, and he was being stubborn about it. I knew I wasn't going to get any further with im, so Mom had to take over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
I see that you have started your TR. I was waiting for it, but I see I arrived a few pages late. I was in Holmes county OH. for a few days with no computer!

Anyway, here I am enoying the trip!
No Internet! The horror!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #86
stinksmom
Friends are the family you choose....

I love your trip report so far. I've seen your signature line in other TR's and I love Claire's pirate outfit. Did you order it online and if so what website (if you don't mind me asking)? We cruise in June on the Dream and I need to order something for DD (9). Thanks! Can't wait to read more of your TR
stinksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #87
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinksmom View Post
I love your trip report so far. I've seen your signature line in other TR's and I love Claire's pirate outfit. Did you order it online and if so what website (if you don't mind me asking)? We cruise in June on the Dream and I need to order something for DD (9). Thanks! Can't wait to read more of your TR
I did order the top part, which is actually a dress at a costume shoponline. I can't remember the name because I bought it a few years ago on clearance. BUT, it was actually too small for her now to be a dress, so we took some pants we had and added it to the outfit, and I think it looked great.
Just google pirate costumes and you will find lots of sites. Many are starting to clearance stuff out too now.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #88
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Map reading with my DH used to be like that. I got a TOM TOM GPS last year and now I don't have to listen to him guessing which road to take anymore

I'm uneasy about letting anyone touch my camera too. I've only let a few, and they had to have the neck strap on before anything.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #89
bubba's mom
Proud Redhead
DIS Cast Member
The Tag Fairy knows you as more than just "Wife of Eric Roberts--XM Spy"

....and now you know why you DON'T fly the day OF your cruise! I don't know what's worse...being stressed STARTING the trip...or the stress of airline stuff on the way HOME?? But...better late than never...glad you made it!

Sux to find out about the rental car taxes AFTER the fact at the airport ugh..live & lesson learned I guess. I woulda been ticked too...but, like ya said...whatcha gonna do? I'm betting for not much more $, you coulda hired yourselves a car and just relaxed on the ride to the port area. At least that's what we do because my DH would probably shoot himself if he had that stress of driving to the port AFTER the airline stress...

But pretty soon you're boarding... Lookin' forward to reading about it
bubba's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #90
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

joining the trip report! Luvin the pics. Sorry bout all the mishaps though
petals is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: