Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

DeAnna's Wish Trip

I want to introduce us while we are waiting to be contacted through MAW.

After several years of marriage and no children, my husband and I decided to adopt a girl from China. Adrianna came home to us as at 9 months old. We adopted Caleb from Cambodia, he was 15 months. In 2004 we learned of a toddler in China who had a Cleft lip and needed a forever family. So after careful consideration (we had not considered having more than 2 children), we decided there was room in our hearts and family for another beautiful girl. DeAnna came home to us as a 3 year old. We were then a forever family of 5.

However, shockingly in 2007 we were give a surprise when we had a biological son. So there you have it we are now the Garrity 6!!!

DeAnna's wish - In September of 2010, DeAnna's teacher said she was having a hard time keeping up in class and she began having seizures and headaches. I immediately took her to the pediatrician. A CT scan found a tumor located directly in the center of her brain, separating her two halves of her brain. After an MRI and a trip to a neurosurgeon, they decided it was most likely benign but she also had 4 tumors on the outside of her skull. The intracranial tumor was the greatest concern so focus was placed on it. There was significant blood involvement with multiple vessels and therefore it was determined that it was too risky to operate or radiate. That lead us to a surgery to try to block the blood vessels in the tumor. This would be a long and tedious processes. In November of 2010, she had the first surgery. Two weeks post surgery the seizures stopped!! We had a great Christmas and beginning of the new year until DeAnna began to have visual disturbances. We progressed to surgery 2 to try and block a few more vessels. In the mean time, MAW called us in March to tell us that DeAnna's doctor had recommended her to MAW. Next week we are having an MRI to check on the tumor, hoping that it has shrunk some.

If you did not know that she had a tumor you would never guess.

When I told DeAnna that she was going to get a wish she asked if she could meet Lilo and Stich on a Disney Cruise and a few days in Disney. At this point we are waiting on contact from our wish granters so that DeAnna can make her wish and we all are getting more excited each day!!

Our Pretrip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post40707717

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

Last edited by sgarrity; 04-12-2011 at 06:44 PM.
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
angeque143
Mouseketeer

Welcome!!! You have a beautiful family much like the one I grew up in!! My middle sister was adopted as a 6 week old and 1 year laterI was adopted as a 6 1/2 year old...My youngest sister was a suprise 5 years later!!

Keeping my fingers crossed that you hear soon!! the wait is so hard!

Angie (41) Carissa 18 Anthony 6 and Eva 3 (wish child)
Miss Eva's GKTW/MAW PTR
Eva's Caring Bridge
angeque143 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
xanphylus
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!! Gorgeous kiddos you've got there!!! Great strat to your PTR- hope she gets all she wishes for and more- she deserves it!

Trip Report: Davys in Wonderland- A baby's View of Disney
PTR: Come on kids- we're going to DisneyWorld!!!

xanphylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
billwendy
DIS Veteran

What a beautiful family!!!! I hope she gets her wish!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
jj0plin
DIS Veteran

Welcome!! You have a beautiful family! I noticed you are in Kentucky, have you always been here? I am in Louisville, born and raised!
jj0plin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj0plin View Post
Welcome!! You have a beautiful family! I noticed you are in Kentucky, have you always been here? I am in Louisville, born and raised!
Yes we have. We live in Western KY. We are closer to Nashville than Louisville so that is where DeAnna is being treated.

I read you family trip, trip gave me the idea to post my pretrip here. I also noticed you were from KY also. I was very curious about your time line. It has been 3 weeks since we heard that DeAnna was referred and granted a wish from MAW and we are still waiting to hear from the wish granters. How long did it take you to hear from them?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
HeatherSP
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the Disboards! You have a beautiful family. I also have 3 adopted children. I have 2 biological kids too. I can't wait to hear all about your daughter's wish!
HeatherSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
tinytreasures
DIS Veteran

You have a beautiful family
So glad DeAnna is going to get her wish. I can't wait to hear all your plans
We are a adoptive family too.
tinytreasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
jj0plin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
Yes we have. We live in Western KY. We are closer to Nashville than Louisville so that is where DeAnna is being treated.

I read you family trip, trip gave me the idea to post my pretrip here. I also noticed you were from KY also. I was very curious about your time line. It has been 3 weeks since we heard that DeAnna was referred and granted a wish from MAW and we are still waiting to hear from the wish granters. How long did it take you to hear from them?
I can't remember exactly, but I think I posted as soon as I heard from them, maybe go back to my first page and check the table of contents? I think we met with them a month after the start of everything but don't quote me on it Are you all going out of the MAW greater Ohio chapter? I am thinking no....
jj0plin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
cogero
DIS Veteran

It is wonderful that you are getting a wish trip.

Your family is beautiful

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Welcome aboard!!! You have a beautiful family!

I so hope that you guys hear back from your wish grantors soon! DeAnna sounds like she has had a rough time of it and deserves to meet Lilo and Stitch and do some cruising! We're still waiting and we submitted the paperwork at the end of February--but I'm in Canada, so things may be different here. Hang in there!
mom2pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

We're still waiting and we submitted the paperwork at the end of February

Wow, I thought 3 weeks was a long time. Have you been told your child qualifies for a wish? I am not sure of the process, but my doctor told us she was referred back in Jan. We received a call in March stating her wish was approved and that we should hear from our wish granters in 2 weeks. They must be very busy granting wishes as it has been more than 3 weeks now. I do not want to bug the agency as I know they are very busy. But I am curious about how long does the process take, if any one knows. Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
angeque143
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
We're still waiting and we submitted the paperwork at the end of February

Wow, I thought 3 weeks was a long time. Have you been told your child qualifies for a wish? I am not sure of the process, but my doctor told us she was referred back in Jan. We received a call in March stating her wish was approved and that we should hear from our wish granters in 2 weeks. They must be very busy granting wishes as it has been more than 3 weeks now. I do not want to bug the agency as I know they are very busy. But I am curious about how long does the process take, if any one knows. Thanks
I am not near you but we were referred in November...we got a call in February that we were approved and then they met with us in March. The wish granters are volunteers so perhaps they are waiting till after the holiday? Our wish granters drove 2 hours to meet with us...Our local MAW covers 17 counties!!!! I would just call if you dont hear by Monday and just say that you are following up. I hope that you hear soon!!!

Angie (41) Carissa 18 Anthony 6 and Eva 3 (wish child)
Miss Eva's GKTW/MAW PTR
Eva's Caring Bridge
angeque143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #14
revrob
A Custom Fairy

from one Disney loving, adoptive mom to a China princess to another, WELCOME! I pray she gets her magical wish!
revrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

I posted this on MAW site but thought someone here might see and have suggestions.

We go back for an MRI tomorrow to check on DeAnna's tumor. She is going to be wearing her Lilo and Stitch T-shirt. She said she wanted to thank the doctors for giving her a wish and to let them know what she is going to wish for.

Another thought, I know that some of you wonderful people sew. Do any of you know of someone who sews for pay? I would pay someone to make DeAnna a Lilo- style dress. That way as we wait for our wish she can pretend to be Lilo. She wanted to dress her brother (3 yrs old) as stitch and he is happy to play that part so we orded him a costume online but could not find one for her. Any ideas?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: