Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Talking My first time as a "Grown Up!" March 2011

Before I begin, have to admit, I've been dragging my feet about doing this TR.

It was actually my sister who was like, "when are you going to do a report?" I guess the reason why I've been hesitant is because I just know that at the very end of the trip report, I'm going to feel a bit depressed. It seems like most everyone here on the DIS is fortunate enough to go at least once a year if not more. For me however, I know I'm not going to be able to get back to the World until at least 2014. That makes me sad. In fact, it was that very reason why I didn't complete my last TR. Once you're done reliving the memories,...what else is there? If I didn't complete my report, then my reliving of the trip would never end. Dumb mentality I know but it is what is is.

Alas, sharing my memories with people at home is only so-so exciting. If you aren't super into Disney or at least been to Disney World, how are you supposed to get excited or even care about what I have to say? So I turn to you DISers, since I know at least a few of you out there will actually be interested in the tale of my vacation.

I am kind of equating writing this TR to having a pet dog or something. When you get the dog, you get it knowing full well in the back of your mind that in a decade-ish or so, it's just going to die and you'll feel sadness but you still get the dog anyway because of all he happiness it'll bring you until that time comes. I realize the depression of the end of writing a TR does not even begin to compare with the dog but it was the only analogy I could come up with. I apologize profusely if anyone was offended by it but oh well.

So anyway, let me begin! I'm going to slightly tweak my introduction from my PTR.

On the left of the photo is me, Kellie. I am a 23 year old from Hawaii. After this past trip, I've been to Disney World 5 times so far; 1992, 1997, 2001, 2008, and now 2011. Wayyyy less then most of you Dis folk out there but kind of a lot compared to most people here at home. What can I say, when you are traveling over an ocean and across a continent, airfare can get super expensive! Anway, I am a HUUUGE Disney Freak, always have been. I love the parks, the movies, the music...everything! I think I've memorized almost every Disney movie song that came out after Oliver and Company. I am always frequenting random Disney sites, looking for the latest info on Disney. My room is decorated with Disney posters and figurines...even my trash can has Minnie and Mickey on it. Obsessed much? The only thing Disney I don't care for at all is the Disney Channel. I guess I'm just not the target market for the current shows...they irritate me somehow. Anyway, as you can see from my current avatar, my favorite character is Mulan. I think it's awesome that she risked her life for her family and ended up saving an entire country.

On the right of the photo is my sister Kristina, but I usually just call her Kris. I may refer to her by both those names. I apologize in advance if this confuses anyone. She is a 20 year old student. She's been to Disney World 3 times now; 2001, 2008, and now 2011. She's a fan of Disney too but not as much as me. However, I don't think being a bigger fan of Disney than me is possible. Her favorite character is Ariel because she likes her rebelliousness for some reason.

Our trip was from March 15-26. 3 of those days were travel days though. We spent 9 days total in the parks.

Now you may be wondering, why did she title this TR "My First Time As a Grown Up?" Well this was our first ever vacation where we were in charge of ourselves. Not mom, not some band trip chaperones, none of that. It was just us. That alone made for a really cool experience, just trying things out on our own, making our own mistakes, doing whatever we wanted to do.

Last edited by jelloarms; 04-12-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Table O' Contents

March 15-16 Days 1 & 2.1
March 16 Day 2.2
March 16 Day 2.2 continued.
March 16 Day 2.3
March 16 Day 2.3 continued

March 17 Day 3.1
March 17 Day 3.2
March 17 Day 3.3
March 17 Day 3.4

March 18 Day 4.1
March 18 Day 4.2
March 18 Day 4.3
March 18 Day 4.4

March 19 Day 5.1
March 19 Day 5.2
March 19 Day 5.3
March 19 Day 5.4

March 20 Day 6.1
March 20 Day 6.2
March 20 Day 6.3

March 21 Day 7.1
March 21 Day 7.2
March 21 Day 7.3
March 21 Day 7.4

March 22 Day 8.1

Last edited by jelloarms; 12-21-2011 at 08:34 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Day 1 & Day 2.1

Day 1 & Day 2.1

March 15-16, 2011

Kristina and I left the house at about 09:50 a.m. to meet mom at our grandma's. From there, she was to going to take us to the airport. Mom was super stressed out. She kept calling practically every 5 minutes wondering where the heck we were. She was in a huge panic that we were going to be late. Our flight wasn't even until 1:00 p.m! In all the rush, I ended up forgetting to take the quesadillas she had made me to eat on the plane. Oops! Eventually we made it to grandmas and from there, we left for the airport and got there by 10:20 a.m. Mom had gotten worked up for nothing.

Kristina driving to grandmas.

After getting dropped off, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. I had never flown without an "adult" before! Kristina however, seemed to know what she was doing so I just followed her around to wherever we needed to be. Interesting, since she herself had never done the airport by herself but I guess she just has a more "grown up" instinct than I, ha ha! We got through check in and security and such by 11:00. Mom called the exact moment we passed through security, just to make sure we got through okay. I know she meant well but what a worry wart!

Kristina in line waiting to get check in.

We had a little over an hour to kill before we could actually board the plane so we walked around for a bit. Bought some bottled water. It was $2.00 but what else could we do? Kristina wanted to find the Pinkberry yogurt place so we looked for that. I was disappointed. I was expecting it to be one of those self serve things but alas, it was not. I guess they modified it for the airport? Anyway, I decided to just get some chicken nuggets from Burger King. I actually only intended to order something to eat before the takeoff but they accidentally gave me two orders so I saved one for the plane. Don't give me that judgemental look! If I had taken it back they would probably only throw it away anyway.

Kristina and our table-o-crud.

8 Pieces of Awesome-nosity.

After eating, we went to the gate, sat around for a bit, boarded, and were off the ground by 12:45. We almost had a slight delay though. This older man would not turn off his iPad. He claimed it didn't power down. The flight attendant was having none of that madness. She told him that if he wouldn't turn it off, she'd have to inform the captain. That would mean a DELAY! Luckily, she was able to find someone who knew how to turn it off. She looked super pissed off when she gave the iPad back to him.

Our plane

The flight was pretty junk. The kid sitting in the aisle seat across from me kept coughing and wouldn't cover his mouth. At least his mom understood how unsanitary this was and covered his mouth for him. The kid's younger sister was clearly too big to not have her own seat but the parents insisted on carrying her on their lap so I think that made her fussy. She would not stop fake crying. I say fake crying because it didn't sound like a legit cry to me. It sounded more like an attention getting wail. The little girl in the row in front of us also cried at random times. Mostly I just drifted in and out of consciousness with a break in the middle to gorge myself on nearly an entire bag of mustard pretzel nuggets. At first I was self conscious and worried about the people around me, thinking they were staring at me and thinking badly of me as I shoveled nugget after nugget into my mouth without an end in sight but then I stopped caring. Ha ha ha!

Found this image from the Google. Pure deliciousness.

Err...showing off the Sprite?!?!

We arrived in Los Angeles at about 9:00 p.m. PST. The layover was very short, and we were back off the ground by 10:30 p.m. I sat in the middle of my sister and this older woman. There were no crying babies on that flight, thank goodness.

Found La Brea Bakery in the LA Airport and Kris just HAD to get a picture with it. We ate there ONE time in Disneyland's Downtown Disney and she swears it's the best bakery ever! She was all like, "we have to go back to Disneyland so I can eat at La Brea Bakery!" I then proceeded to remind her that mom brings home La Brea french bread from Costco every few months but she still insists on going back. I dunno, Disneyland is cool and fun and all but it just doesn't compare to Disney World!

After drifting in and out of consciousness (with a break in between to gorge myself on the remains of the pretzel nuggets), we finally arrived in Florida at 6:00 a.m. EST.

Random thought: I never got up to pee at all on both flights. CRAZY! But I'm not complaining. Having to pee on the plane sucks.

That's right, I wore socks with slippers on the plane. Quite the fashion DON'T but I don't like wearing shoes on the plane because they're so confining. Yet, my feet always freeze. This was the only solution. So if you ever one day are looking at the Fashion Don't s section of one of those magazines and you see a blurred out face of a girl with a black jacket, jeans, and socks with slippers, it might just be me.

Me on the fake Monorail that takes you to baggage claim. It's not the real Monorail. The real one is only in Disney.

Anyway, after getting our bags, we hightailed it over to the Magical Express desk. After a little while, the bus arrived. There was a man sitting in front of us that reeked heavily of cigarettes. This annoyed me but what could I do? I overheard him talking. He sure had come a long way! He had flown from Japan, to Hawaii, to California, and finally to Florida. That's a whole 9 hours more of flight time than we had. That must have been awful! Unless of course, he was in first class. Or rode JAL for the first leg. Japan Air Lines is awesome. Then maybe it wasn't so bad. The earthquake in Japan had just happened too so he was telling some other woman about his experience. That was cool to overhear.

On the way to the hotel, we passed a gas station and were in awe at how cheap the gas was. $3.49! At home, it was about $3.70-something. By the time we got home though, it had already surpassed the $4.00 mark.

Anyway, we made it to the Pop Century Resort at about 7:15 a.m. The check in process went smoothly. I have to admit, I was just a smidge worried that somewhere along the line, our reservation went missing and we weren't going to have a room. Alas, that was not to be. While sitting down in the lobby getting our bearings, the song "Missing" came on. You know, the one that goes ..."and I miss you...like the deserts miss the rain..." I must admit though, up until I Googled the song about 15 minutes ago, I thought the words were ..."like a desert's mystery...". Anyway, I thought to myself, how 90s! Awesome! I must have heard this song at least 5 times during our trip. Random factoid, I am a huge 90's geek. It was definetley the best decade ever!

Just me and the paperwork.

Me and my favorite shadowbox. Hooray for the 90s!

Last edited by jelloarms; 04-12-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #4
ChattaAlley
DIS Veteran

Yall are too cute. Can't wait to read more.

With a little bit of PixieDust anything is possible . . .
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Goofy442
DIS Veteran

Wow, love all the pictures. You are doing a great job on this TR. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and it was a long flight from Boston, Ma.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
janiejake
Mouseketeer

Popped over here from the March 2011 facebook group. Enjoying your trip report~good thing you stopped writing, so I can go to bed!

šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš šOš
Past visits:78,81,90,92,96,97(all off site), 5/99DxL, 2/00DxL,3/00DxL&CSR,3/03POR&Swan,12/03POR, 1/06POR, 3/09 POR, 3/11 POR 1/12 POR/POFQ 12/31/14-01/02/151/13 ASSp
Old 04-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
katoot
DDC
And OWNAGE
I'm up for revealing on both

Our flight from Korea back at the end of January was so-so. But we went from Seoul to Detroit. Then again, I'm used to long flights like that, having gone to and from Korea/Japan-America countless times in the past 10 years.

I look forward to reading more about your trip.

DIS Dad Member #598
(me) (DW) (DS) (DS)
Runs:
04/07/12 Gyeongju Cherry Blossom 10k (first ever run): 59:11
06/10/12 Pohang Marathon 10k: 1:01:37

Past visits:
WDW: March 1987 & 1988
Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea: March 2006
WDW/Unversal: January 2011

A Magical Journey...Bookended by Some Airport Troubles

Last edited by katoot; 04-13-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
PoohGal05
DIS Veteran

Good start! I'm in!!! I love the pictures alreay!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Found your link on the March facebook page. I remember your PTR too. Great start! This looks like it's going to be a fun trip! Love the pictures so far.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Vwdiva93
DIS Veteran

I was hoping you would do a TR!! I'm definitely in
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
I'll have one of what ever the tag fairy is drinking tonight
Chocolate is a girls heaven

My sister and I went on a Disney vacation by ourselves many years ago. That was also our first grownup vacation without our family. I'm sure you and your sister made some wonderful memories together. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy442 View Post
Wow, love all the pictures. You are doing a great job on this TR. We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon, and it was a long flight from Boston, Ma.
Thanks for reading! I imagine that flight must have been about 8ish hours or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoot View Post
Our flight from Korea back at the end of January was so-so. But we went from Seoul to Detroit. Then again, I'm used to long flights like that, having gone to and from Korea/Japan-America countless times in the past 10 years.

I look forward to reading more about your trip.
Wow, that sounds like a SUPER long flight! I went to Korea back in 07 and I remember the flight being about 9 hours. I imagine going all the way to Michigan must have made the flight at least 15 hours? Wow, super long! I think if I was on Korean Air though it wouldn't be too bad. They're pretty up there when it comes to good airline service. And I loved their food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwdiva93 View Post
I was hoping you would do a TR!! I'm definitely in
I am definitley in for your TR as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
My sister and I went on a Disney vacation by ourselves many years ago. That was also our first grownup vacation without our family. I'm sure you and your sister made some wonderful memories together. I'm looking forward to reading more.
We definetley did make some great memories. I thought at some point we would get into an argument what with the 24/7 only us togetherness but we never did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattaAlley View Post
Yall are too cute. Can't wait to read more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohGal05 View Post
Good start! I'm in!!! I love the pictures alreay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
Found your link on the March facebook page. I remember your PTR too. Great start! This looks like it's going to be a fun trip! Love the pictures so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I'm from the March facebook group too. Can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Subbing, also from the March FB group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiejake View Post
Popped over here from the March 2011 facebook group. Enjoying your trip report~good thing you stopped writing, so I can go to bed!

Welcome welcome welcome everyone! It's cool to see some of you from the March 2011 FB Group. To those of you who found this report here on the DIS, I'm glad to see you guys here too!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #15
jelloarms
DIS Veteran

Day 2.2

**this entry is divided into 2 posts because of the amount of images**

Day 2.2

March 16, 2011

So after checking in, looking at all the Pop shadowboxes, and leaving our luggage with the luggage dudes or whatever they're called, we went to Everything Pop and bought our mugs. Kristina also got a yogurt parfait. I ate the leftover Chewy Bar and Special K Protein Bar that I didn't eat on the plane.

Cute pens, but not really practical for everyday use methinks.

I seriously for reals thought about buying this Mulan playset. Mulan is my FAVORITE Disney character ever and there is hardly any merchandise featuring her. Throughout the trip, everytime I saw something with Mulan on it, I HAD to take a picture of it. Anyway yeah, I almost bought this playset but then I realized that it would probably just wind up in my closet, taking up space and collecting dust so I decided against it.

Kris and her yogurt thing.

After eating, we went to the arcade. When we booked our vacation, one of the coupons we got was a voucher for 100 arcade points. Kristina played some Pirate Pinball game worth 50 points. She didn't like it. We ended up not using the rest of the points because there was no other game we felt worth playing. I don't know, I guess we are just not big arcade people. Kris suggested we leave the card with the 50 remaining points in front of some random person's door to make a kid happy but we never did.

Kris before the crappy game

Kris after the crappy game

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: