Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #136
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Quote:
DH had a meeting Tuesday and they told him if they are furloughed he will not get back pay. He is full-time National Guard
Is he a federal tech or title 32 (AGR?) im guessing from this state hes a federal tech-basically a DOD civilian in a job that requires reserve member ship. AGR soldiers are active duty and will get back pay.
To the poster who's husband just returned from deployment-post deployment block leave is not "chargeable" leave-i.e its rather like a pass meaning the soldier is still considered to be 'working" so its possible it will be unaffected-im not sure about that.
Im a DOD contractor but i work on a firm fixed price contract that is already funded thru the 30th of June so i will keep working. DH is an M day NG soldier-he wont be paid for his last weekend drill and his annual training will be canceled or moved to a later date but we will still have income from his civilian job and we have a good emergency fund so we will be okay but im worried about my friends-and the guys i work with who are AD army and who wont be getting paid and wont be going on leave.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #137
pepperderr
DIS Veteran

Will Shade of Green close?
pepperderr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #138
auralia
DIS Veteran

another military spouse here we could go 3 months maybe 4 before I got really worried. But DH has been in a long time... I'm so worried about those people living pay check to pay check there are lots of e1-e3 out there with a kid or two who barely find enough to make it through the month with all their pay. Also if they are on a base at least they wont be kicked out... i have a mortgage to pay personally. Also the military currently owes us about 13000$ beyond his regular pay check. We shelled out a great deal for a 2 month tdy we are still awaiting payment for and his bonus payment is due right now... technically he "earned" that 3 years ago when he reenlisted. Also i worry about our medical insurance my dd has a doc appointment on the 11 of april hope it's covered! I havent heard how it will effect our medical coverage or if it will but i believe tricare is a "government program" and not insurance but it also said that things related to health wouldn't be affected. Also retired military get paid but active duty doesn't.... WTH? I realize the money is coming from different places but they "say" they will pay us in the end so why not just pass the bill that gets the military their pay.

as for federal employees i feel bad about that but those soldiers putting their lives on the line (not my husband presently) its SOOOO WRONG.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #139
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

I also worry about my neighbors. We are in a neighborhood heavy with Federal employees. Most of them would be furloughed. Also all the local businesses that depend on them to spend money will be devastated as well. Things will not be fine around here if there's a shutdown. People who don't even work for the government will be hugely affected.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #140
SunnyP4Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperderr View Post
Will Shade of Green close?
No, SOG are not run with appropriated funds. Exchanges will remain open, however, commissaries may close since they rely on appropriated funding.
Self appointed resort guru! Since I was a wee thing I've stayed at Contemporary Resort (including Presidential suite), Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge (opening weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Coronado, POR (honeymoon), POFQ, Carribbean Beach, Pop, AOA Cars Suites (Cast Preview), ASR, Fort Wilderness Cabins, Disney Inn (now Shades of Green), Grand Floridian, Treehouse Villas, Fairway Villas (RIP) and Boardwalk, Disneyland Hotel, Davy Crockett Ranch (Paris), Hotel Santa Fe (Paris), & Sequoia Lodge (Paris)! Now, I make the magic for others!
SunnyP4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #141
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
I also worry about my neighbors. We are in a neighborhood heavy with Federal employees. Most of them would be furloughed. Also all the local businesses that depend on them to spend money will be devastated as well. Things will not be fine around here if there's a shutdown. People who don't even work for the government will be hugely affected.
Same here. Most of my neighbors are Fed employees. I know one will probably be essential (CIA) but the rest will be furloughed. Our local economy will surely suffer and it doesn't need that.

I just read that employees can't even use their Fed issued Blackberries during the shut down. That is how my husband gets his work emails when he's not in the office. I wonder how he will know to return if he can't get on the Blackberry. I'd hate for him to have to rely on the "news" to know.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #142
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimalie View Post
Same here. Most of my neighbors are Fed employees. I know one will probably be essential (CIA) but the rest will be furloughed. Our local economy will surely suffer and it doesn't need that.

I just read that employees can't even use their Fed issued Blackberries during the shut down. That is how my husband gets his work emails when he's not in the office. I wonder how he will know to return if he can't get on the Blackberry. I'd hate for him to have to rely on the "news" to know.
Actually from what I hear, furloughed employees are not even allowed to check their work emails. That would be against the law too.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #143
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

This would/will be bad for my area too ~ IRS is huge here and we have an Air Force base.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #144
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually from what I hear, furloughed employees are not even allowed to check their work emails. That would be against the law too.
I know. So they will waste money having someone call each employee. They could start saving by just sending an email!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #145
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think it will be widely known when the employees can return to work.

And, yes no access to any work informaiton. They are saying to turn off the phones/blackberries as well.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #146
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Quote:
This is exactly why eveyone should be concerned about a pending shutdown. It does not just affect federal workers. It will affect everyone.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #147
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I think it will be widely known when the employees can return to work.

And, yes no access to any work informaiton. They are saying to turn off the phones/blackberries as well.
My husband travels a lot for work. He will need to know more than just when he can return to work. He has a trip coming up soon and will need to contact the other parties to cancel if necessary. This would require him to access his work email and use his blackberry to call them. Hard to do if he's not supposed to use it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #148
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My husband travels a lot for work. He will need to know more than just when he can return to work. He has a trip coming up soon and will need to contact the other parties to cancel if necessary. This would require him to access his work email and use his blackberry to call them. Hard to do if he's not supposed to use it.
A lot of people are in that position. There really is no easy answer except to pay attention to the news. His superiors will probably find out that way too. Virtually everyone will know at the same time.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #149
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
A lot of people are in that position. There really is no easy answer except to pay attention to the news. His superiors will probably find out that way too. Virtually everyone will know at the same time.
The news won't have his travel plans. That's the problem he will run in to very soon. He just got back yesterday from Montana and the next trip is already scheduled and booked.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #150
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The news won't have his travel plans. That's the problem he will run in to very soon. He just got back yesterday from Montana and the next trip is already scheduled and booked.
I guess I'm not explaining myself very well. No one will know when this is over until it is actually over. 90% of the people I work with travel and they are all in the same boat. No one will know anything until it is over. Until it is over, EVERYONE in that position is in limbo. Best to try to get as much worked out and plan for contengincies before midnight tomorrow night because after that everyone will be in the dark. Technially, he won't even be able to call and canel his plans while the furlough is ongoing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: