Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Annoyed...Can I still get AP discount?

Okay, I know I should have known to ask when I booked but this is a little annoying...

I just booked the Wild Africa Trek as a pre-wedding gift for my brother and his bride-to-be. After listening to one of the Dis podcasts today I had this "duh"/smack myself on the forehead moment and realized I didn't ask for the AP discount when I booked their tour.

If I call back with the reservation number, will I be able to get the discounted price? I've already pre-paid the full price, so will they refund the percentage discount I should have had since I'm an AP holder? I assume it's not a problem that I'm booking for them but I'm not going on the tour since they both have APs also....but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm also a bit annoyed that CMs aren't trained to ask if you have an AP when you book these things. I don't have an issue with the CMs (they are pretty much always great), but this is a Disney-induced annoyance. I know it's ultimately my responsibility to make sure I get the best price I can, but it just seems like Disney doesn't do a great job of promoting the (limited) discounts associated with having an AP. This is my first year having an AP so it's all a bit new to me.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I talked with the Trek dept several days ago, the CM said there were currently no discounts, none. The usual being AP, DVC, AAA and Disney Visa. If they did have a discount, you would for sure be able to call back and get your AP discount. You might check back with them a few days before the Trek, to see if they have added any discount possibilities. If they have, you will get it.

And a current AP discount listing.......

http://allears.net/pl/apass.htm#2011

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

If there is a discount, I would be surprised if they would give it to you when the reservation is not for you.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Eljay
DIS Veteran

Location: Lounging around the Royal Assante Suite at the AKL in my leopard pajamas, drinking Champagne! (In my dreams!!!)

Might not be a bad idea to call them and ask, even though you know the answer, it might encourage them to offer the discount on this tour, if enough people continue to ask.
Eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
2010_Bride
DIS Veteran

I booked the EPCOT Segway tour and forgot to ask about the AP discount as well
I paid the full price, and then about a month later I remembered and called to see if the discounted amount could be put back on my credit card. I was told "no" that I had to ask for the discount at the time of booking. This was just a month ago.
I agree with the OP that Disney does hide the fact that they give discounts for AP holders. I only remembered to ask in about half of the stores we went into for the 10% discount. You are so busy thinking about a hundred other things!

2010_Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Bride View Post
I paid the full price, and then about a month later I remembered and called to see if the discounted amount could be put back on my credit card. I was told "no" that I had to ask for the discount at the time of booking. This was just a month ago.
I agree with the OP that Disney does hide the fact that they give discounts for AP holders. I only remembered to ask in about half of the stores we went into for the 10% discount. You are so busy thinking about a hundred other things!
I don't think Disney "Hides" the discount, why should a cashier/booking agent ask EVERY person all day long if they are an AP holder,Disney Visa card holders etc.....most people are NOT, so they may hit 1 out of 1,000 (estimate for sake of discussion).Thenm where do you draw the line...should they also ask if we have a gift card, many times i forgot to use my gift card for purchases until nearly the end of the week. It's not the cast members fault. As a consumer You and I have a responsability to protect our dollars not the business. Would it be nice, YES, is it hideing NO.

OP- aren't tours still able to be cancelled within so many days (like 2) of the tours. We cancelled one last year and got a full refund. Why not just cancel the original booking and re-book.
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I guess I'm going to be the dissenting voice here...but I don't think it is Disney's responsibility to 'alert' us to the fact that an AP discount is available for something. It is up to us to know what perks we are entitled to. The AP holder has the most current perks/discounts. You can also go the AP site and refresh your memory.
Disney has a lot of things that have applicable discounts...if you are entitled to a discount, you should be aware of it. I tend to confuse my DVC perks and my AP perks. But, I always ask when purchasing something or booking something...just to make sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Bride View Post
You should call and cancel it...then when the person on the phone asks if there is anything they can help you with today, say yes, you would like to book the segway tour and have the AP discount! Just cancel and rebook in the same phone call.
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
You should call and cancel it...then when the person on the phone asks if there is anything they can help you with today, say yes, you would like to book the segway tour and have the AP discount! Just cancel and rebook in the same phone call.
"Hello, this is Jasmin, how can I help you?"

"I'd like to cancel my tour for 4 on April 31st."

"Sorry to hear about that...let me take care of that...hold on...done. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Yes, I'd like to book a tour for 4 on April 31st with an AP discount."

"Umm....I don't see any availability on that date..."

"But I know for a fact you just got an opening..."

4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

"Sorry to hear about that...let me take care of that...hold on...done. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Hahah! Exactly!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is exactly what I did for two of my ADR's...I forgot to ask for the TIW discount for Spirit of Aloha and CRT...the CM has to cancel and then rebook..
the only thing that happened is that I was moved back in the booking line for Cat 1 of the Luau...so I may get a table a little farther back.
But I would hope that if you book the Trek when there is no discount being offered, and then they decide to offer one, they would allow you to apply it after the fact..as long as it's before your actual tour date...

Anniversary May 2013 at the Swan
: Mommy & Me July 2013 offsite
The Whole Gang August 2013 AKL
1st Family trip to UO August 2013 RPH
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Quote:

Yes that's what I would imagine happening. Don't think I want to risk it.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Suellen
DIS Veteran

I think I'd call. Book the new tour ~ then cancel the old. That way you don't lose your reservation. Although I am not sure that you can use your AP discount for a third party.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

They are not offering the AP discount on the Wild Africa Trek. I'm an AP holder and I DID REMEMBER to ask, but no go.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Dan Murphy
We are family.

I just did similar last week. I had booked a tour with AP discount back in early March. I recently picked up the Disney Visa (actually applied for it after I got off the phone booking that tour, specifically for the various discounts, typically a bit better than AP). The card came last week. I called the tour office, rebooked it with the Disney Visa, saved another 5%, 20% rather than AP's 15%. Very easy, seamless.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net
April 26-May 3, see you there?

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annual pass, discount, tour

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: