Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #916
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

PHXscuba,

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

The pool slide is not that important. They would love the poolside games though. The boat to DTD is nice but we have our car so driving to DTD is fine also. The bedroom for mom & dad with a door would be something my hubby would love. With the car we could also bring bars & cereal for breakfast too..saves time & money.

The 2 tv's & 2 bathrooms would be great for getting showered at night...& since my oldest is a 15 year old girl that extra bathroom is priceless now that I think about it.

No FD for me so we are going for the Allstar suite with 25% off. We don't end up eating that much in the heat of August.

Disneymarie,
Thanks for the ideas.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Pop Century *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #917
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone. 1st time poster but have been reading this thread for a few weeks now. My wife and I have booked our 1st family Disney vacation for late August 2011 for 8 days/7 nights.

We are taking our three kids and they are super excited.

I really have to thank the folks at Disney for thinking of families on a budget with the creation of the ASM resort especially the family suite. It gives us the ability to stay on Disney property and to really get the whole Disney experience vs having to stay off property (not that there is anything wrong with that).

I remember the huge difference in my past Disney experiences when staying at a Holiday Inn on International Drive vs staying on the grounds:

World class customer service

I am looking forward to staying at ASM.

Like any other guy I am all about the food. We are getting into Orlando at 8 PM on our 1st night and by the time we get checked in and everything it will be late. So my wife and I are thinking we'll all grab a bite to eat at the ASM food court. Any recommendations or warnins on what to get or not get?

Many thanks!

Past Disney Trips
-June 1989: Hotel Royal Plaza
-July 1989: One day Trip to MK from Port Richie
-August 1989: Holiday Inn (International Drive)
-July 1990: Swan
-June 1993: Port Orleans
-June 1994: Port Orleans
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2011: One Week at All Star Music
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-February 2013: Art of Animation
CaptainAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #918
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

The steak sandwich was really good. It was a "weekly" special so I'm not sure they'll still have it but we liked it so much we got it twice!
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #919
lamb616
DIS Veteran

we just got back from ASMU. It was our first trip and first time on Disney property (well, first time in 25 years). We loved the resort and loved the suite. There are 4 of us and the original plan was for the 2 kids to sleep in the bedroom and DH and I sleep in the living room. However, DD (3.5) gets up a lot at night so after the first night I moved into the bedroom with her and DS to the living room with DH (so I could get her back to sleep at night without her waking everyone else up). We easily moved the ottoman sleeper into the bedroom for her (not sure why, but someone posted on this thread a while back that it couldn't be moved into the bedroom ???) so DD slept on that and I got the bed to myself. Anyways, the suite was perfect for us. We ate breakfast in the room on the mornings we didn't have a character breakfast booked.

As for the food court - we found all the food really good EXCEPT the pizza. It was nasty, gross bad Pizza Hut pizza. Even DH wouldn't have a 2nd slice and he eats about anything. Burgers were really good, quesadillas were really good. Eggs & home fries & waffles were good. the only thing in our case is we were back at the hotel every night for supper since DD is young and is still a napper so with her not taking a nap while we were at the parks, she was really out of control overtired by 3-4:00ish every day so that's when we'd leave the parks and end up back at the hotel around 5 and have to think about supper. Since we didn't have a car, we had no choice but to eat at the hotel. Although the food was all pretty good, by day 3 I really had had enough of that food court and didn't want to see it again -- but we still had 5 more days of it to go! There's not a huge dinner selection. There are 3 different counter sections for lunch/dinner - the first was the Specialty area and had baked chicken, quesadillas, a couple different sandwiches, and salads. The second was the grill which had burgers, hot dogs, etc. The third was the pizza/pasta. And there was usually a "special" each day at each counter. I really only ate the burgers, quesadillas, and salad. So you can see how 8 nights of those 3 items could get tiring, lol. A couple nights I just didn't eat at all b/c I couldn't bring myself to eat any of those things again.

April, 2012 ~ Impromptu mother/son trip ~ Caribbean Beach Resort!
lamb616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #920
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb616 View Post
we just got back from ASMU. It was our first trip and first time on Disney property (well, first time in 25 years). We loved the resort and loved the suite. There are 4 of us and the original plan was for the 2 kids to sleep in the bedroom and DH and I sleep in the living room. However, DD (3.5) gets up a lot at night so after the first night I moved into the bedroom with her and DS to the living room with DH (so I could get her back to sleep at night without her waking everyone else up). We easily moved the ottoman sleeper into the bedroom for her (not sure why, but someone posted on this thread a while back that it couldn't be moved into the bedroom ???) so DD slept on that and I got the bed to myself. Anyways, the suite was perfect for us. We ate breakfast in the room on the mornings we didn't have a character breakfast booked.

As for the food court - we found all the food really good EXCEPT the pizza. It was nasty, gross bad Pizza Hut pizza. Even DH wouldn't have a 2nd slice and he eats about anything. Burgers were really good, quesadillas were really good. Eggs & home fries & waffles were good. the only thing in our case is we were back at the hotel every night for supper since DD is young and is still a napper so with her not taking a nap while we were at the parks, she was really out of control overtired by 3-4:00ish every day so that's when we'd leave the parks and end up back at the hotel around 5 and have to think about supper. Since we didn't have a car, we had no choice but to eat at the hotel. Although the food was all pretty good, by day 3 I really had had enough of that food court and didn't want to see it again -- but we still had 5 more days of it to go! There's not a huge dinner selection. There are 3 different counter sections for lunch/dinner - the first was the Specialty area and had baked chicken, quesadillas, a couple different sandwiches, and salads. The second was the grill which had burgers, hot dogs, etc. The third was the pizza/pasta. And there was usually a "special" each day at each counter. I really only ate the burgers, quesadillas, and salad. So you can see how 8 nights of those 3 items could get tiring, lol. A couple nights I just didn't eat at all b/c I couldn't bring myself to eat any of those things again.
You should have walked over to ASMovies a few nights to try out their food court. They have a few different things there.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #921
lamb616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
You should have walked over to ASMovies a few nights to try out their food court. They have a few different things there.
I thought about that!!! And even mentioned it to DH but we thought they probably had the exact same food.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #922
3redhedgirls
Mouseketeer

In the family suites will my DD20, DD23 find the pull out beds comfortable?
88 Hilton DT
90 Yacht Club
95 Hyatt Cypress/CBR
98 Swan
97 Wilderness Lodge
00 Hilton DTD
04 Allstar Music
06 Port Orleans Riverside
08 POP Century
12 AllStar Music
3redhedgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #923
packofprincesses
Mouseketeer

Just switched my ressie from POR to ASMu Family Suite! I'm very excited! We are family of 6 and the more I thought about cramming all of us into one room...the more I started researching!

I was able to book using the Kids Stay/Play Free package. It expires soon so I was suprised there was still availability!

I was sad to give up my free dining but happy to have a bit more space!
packofprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #924
lamb616
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3redhedgirls View Post
In the family suites will my DD20, DD23 find the pull out beds comfortable?
DH slept in the pull out sofa (full size) and I didn't ask him how it was - but he never complained once about it, so I know it must have been fine. I slept one night in the pull out chair (twin). It was perfectly comfortable, did not feel like a sofa bed at all (you know, with the bars sticking in your back, etc.)

Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #925
Pikester
DIS Veteran

For anyone who stayed at the suites over the last week of Feb 2011 into the first week of March what was your daily room rate? Can't check for Feb 2012 yet and that particular week is what my kids will be having off during the school year.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #926
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Here is the link to Mousesavers, which shows "rack rate for the resort in 2011.

It looks like your trip would fall into "regular season", which is $245 weekdays, $275 weekends. Check for discounts as you go along!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #927
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
Here is the link to Mousesavers, which shows "rack rate for the resort in 2011.

It looks like your trip would fall into "regular season", which is $245 weekdays, $275 weekends. Check for discounts as you go along!

PHXscuba
Thank you.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #928
mantysk8coach
Proud member of the DIS chapter of NKOTB Anonymous!

Thrilled to find this thread! We are planning on going in June next year with my mom, and our best friend, who is practically a brother to us (him and DH have known each other literally since birth).

Anyway, the suites will be perfect for us! I haven't read the whole thread yet, but will catch up as I have time.

One question that hopefully someone doesn't mind answering, even if its already been addressed. Do I remember hearing that if free dining is offered when we go, Family Suites don't qualify for it? But there could potentially be other discounts?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #929
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't hold your breath for free dining in June...Disney doesn't need to drum up business in the summer However, with the free dining promo that was offered last fall for free dining does allow for free dining with the Quick Service dining plan, and could be upgraded to the regular dining plan.
July '89--Fort Wilderness; Feb '93--Dolphin, POR; Feb '95--Marriott World Center; Feb '97--Marriott World Center, POR; Feb '99--Marriott World Center; April '02--AS Movies; Feb '03--Gaylord Palms, Hard Rock Hotel; Feb '04--Dolphin, Hotel at Florida Mall; Feb '06--POR, Dolphin; June '06--POP; Sept '07--AKL (a dream come true!!!); Feb '08--Coronado Springs Resort/Marriott World Center; Sept '08--Beach Club/Disney Wonder (our first Disney Cruise!!!); Feb '09--Disneyland; Sept '09--Beach Club; Sept '10--Beach Club (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '11--All-Star Music Family Suites (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '12--Art of Animation (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers)
wvdislover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #930
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantysk8coach View Post
Thrilled to find this thread! We are planning on going in June next year with my mom, and our best friend, who is practically a brother to us (him and DH have known each other literally since birth).

Anyway, the suites will be perfect for us! I haven't read the whole thread yet, but will catch up as I have time.

One question that hopefully someone doesn't mind answering, even if its already been addressed. Do I remember hearing that if free dining is offered when we go, Family Suites don't qualify for it? But there could potentially be other discounts?

Thanks!
We had Free Dining with the suites.
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: