Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #1531
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsksomeday View Post
Such a great MK no plan morning, sometimes it is great to just go with the flow. We haven't done the MK Bakery, Bill would love the pastries, we will have to try it. I hope your evening went as planned.
Oh you should definitely try the bakery on your next trip, it's wonderful! It was good to just roll with things, it was absolutely lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Laid back mornings at the Magic Kingdom are great!

Love your view of Main Street while you enjoyed your breakfast! Sigh! It looks so relaxing!
It was the perfect start to the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Okay, you are a braver woman than I am -- Connor and I got to the top of Astro Orbiter, took one look, and left. I am iffy about heights -- that ride is one that I can't stand!

Now the Jungle Cruise, on the other hand, is one of my favorites!!!
LOL! I couldn't admit in front of the E's I really didn't want to go on it. Thankfully I was behind them so they had NO idea I wasn't going up and down at the rate they were.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #1532
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Sounds like it's a perfect start to a great morning at MK!! How funny that the CM on the Jungle Cruise used the Laugh Floor jokes?! I've never heard that before! Our last guide was a bit odd too...maybe they are attempting to change the script? Who knows!

I skipped a lot of the chatter while catching up, but I did see your note about Hawaii! What a wonderful trip that will be! Of course you plan to do a mini-TR here, right????
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1533
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Sounds like it's a perfect start to a great morning at MK!! How funny that the CM on the Jungle Cruise used the Laugh Floor jokes?! I've never heard that before! Our last guide was a bit odd too...maybe they are attempting to change the script? Who knows!
It was really odd to say the least. The rest of the boat thought it was really funny though so if you hadn't heard it, it'd probably be good. Who knows!

Quote:
I skipped a lot of the chatter while catching up, but I did see your note about Hawaii! What a wonderful trip that will be! Of course you plan to do a mini-TR here, right????
I can't wait. I am SO tired of rain and cold. Although the fact that I just returned from a soggy, windy cold soccer game probably has something to do with it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #1534
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

In the tiki tiki tiki tiki room

It was 10:30 and had been a productive morning so far. The gang was up, Jeff and &K were actually at the gym working out. The rest were doing whatever it was they did.

We had a VERY clear mission on where to go next. A place the E’s assured me they’d never been and were dying to visit. I’m not sure if we did go there in 2004 or not. To me, this is a classic and is a very strong childhood memory of Disneyland with my parents. It has a special place in my heart. Would they think it was cool? While there is a lot to be said for a “whatever” day, there is a lot to be said for proximity. We were very lucky in that both were present in our next never done.

Where could that be?

Nowhere but my favorite treehouse in the world!

Honestly, just looking at it makes me happy. I don’t know why, I mean it’s not an attraction you hear everyone waxing on and on about and yet, for me somehow, it captures it all. I imagine I was grinning like an idiot during the entire time, hoping the E’s would feel the same way.

We had a wonderful engineering conversation about this marvel. Perfect for the boys who want to be an architect and engineer respectively.

Time to head up!

Looking down on now familiar waters

More engineering

A nice view of my nemesis

A lovely lookout

Loving the details, use of the “ship”

We LOVED it! In fact, since returning home, both boys have read the book 
The item next on our list was to go get some Splash FP’s. Our window had opened. Yep, despite being stuck on splash, emergency exit and wanting to shoot the bear and not really laughing at the laughing place, they wanted to go on it.

So we set off. And immediately were distracted by…

Ok. I know a LOT of people complain that the DL version is better and to be honest, I’m not sure I’d ever been to it at all before as it really seemed new to me. The E’s certainly never had. It was cool (we were HOT already though it was only 11 ish) and more importantly, very entertaining to us all. Of course, I have no pictures to show for it. There was literally no wait and we walked right in. Just in case you need a refresher…a song for you. As looking at the Treehouse makes me smile…so does a mental visit to the Tiki room, via this song.

Sufficiently cooled off and entertained, off we went to grab our FP’s for splash. Which we did and then proceeded to our next never done.

The boys had been wanting to do this for a LONG time. I am almost positive we did it in 2004 but they say no. I know we did in 2001 in DL, but of course they don’t remember that. One of my very favorite DL memories is from here, from a CS location that doesn’t exist in the FL version. I was nervous about this one. The reason I know we did it in 2001 in CA is that it was miserably hot during the visit to the attraction. As Animal Kingdom seems to run warmer than all the other parks, this one to me (at least in my mind) ran warmer than any other MK attraction. We weren’t hurting for heat on this day already but…I confess, I wanted to go too!

Continued in next post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #1535
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Where?

Why to try and find Injun Joe!

Let me tell you. It’s a short ride but on that exposed heat absorbing raft…a hot one! You can definitely see the haze in my pictures.

Eric didn’t seem to mind a bit

Evan, on the other hand was less thrilled about my picture taking

Upon arrival, we set off to explore!

We checked out the Liberty Belle from afar. Sadly, she wasn’t open. She wasn’t open in 2009 either but someday I’ll ride her again!

It was time for some caves and mystery mines. Tip. If you are overheated on TSI, head to the mines! Yeah, it’s dark and tiny and people may run you over but it’s cool, AND cool.

We didn’t run into Injun Joe. Guess that’s a good thing.

Gotta love a good rope bridge!

And the view

We hoped we’d be visiting that mountain later!

Next up, the Fort!

Aka…little boy paradise

Why?

I think the pictures speak for themselves

I have to tell you, poor Eric really needs some upper body strength, he could barely lift that gun!

What’s a boy to do after some good gunfighting?

Play checkers of course!

What’s a mom to do while boys play checkers?

Check out the BEST women’s bathroom in the MK. There is a small one tucked inside the fort. Pristine and so very very cool (A/C cool that is) it was like an oasis to me.

It was about noon. Miracles of all miracles (no, not really) Jeff had herded the cats and they were actually on their way to the park, relatively on time for lunch. We headed down into the underground caves again for a little bit, chasing each other in the dark and then caught a raft back.

It was a GREAT morning. To this day TSI ranks as one of Eric’s all time favorite places and the Treehouse, one of Evan’s. Both boys were inspired to read some classics I’d been nagging them to do, Evan in particular latching onto them. To be honest, this spur on the classics has led both, but especially Evan, to be more open to trying some of the great “boy” classics that he might not have otherwise considered as they don’t have the “newberry award” sticker or the buzz from his friends. I can’t tell you how rewarding it was, about a month ago, when he was home sick. I was able to download a bunch of things for free to the Kindle and he tucked into Treasure Island and Gullivers Travels.

All that said, we’d been going pretty hard since 7:30 am and were ready for a break and I, in particular, was VERY excited about our lunch plans.

Anchors Away! Aweigh

Last edited by eandesmom; 05-09-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #1536
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

What a fun morning! Now I'm really curious where you're going to lunch?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #1537
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

We haven't been up the tree house in years! The boys have never been up there - I think the last time I visited was in 1997 when DH & I went to WDW - after we got married, before kids. Back in the day when we just headed left at the top of Main Street & made our way around the park clockwise! We'll definitely have to check that out soon!

Thanks for the Tiki Room link - I'll have that song in my head for the rest of the day! I think Zach would really get a kick out of that show - it was closed when we were there in March from the fire. It's been MANY years since I've been in there!

By the way - a couple of your photo links don't work...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #1538
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I really need to go to Tom Sawyer's Island on my next trip!!! I have been meaning to do that island for so long now! I am just always deterred by the raft trip... Seems so much waiting involved.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #1539
em36
Mouseketeer

Tom Sawyer Island

I know that lots of people find TSI boring, but my family loves it. After standing in lines and being surrounded by people all day, it is nice to take the raft over to the island and have some room to explore. My dd's get to run around and burn off some energy. They love the rope bridge and the escape tunnel. I am enjoying your trip report and looking forward to your next update.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #1540
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great updates, Cynthia. We've not done Swiss Family since our boys were both with us last (back in 2000 ). I may attempt it myself this trip (Mark can't handle all of those stairs). Although we prefer the OLD Enchanted Tiki House, we enjoy the cool air in the new one and it kind of grows on you after awhile (the song sticks in your head all day like It's A Small World). Believe it or not, we have NEVER done Tom Sawyer's Island. Thanks for the pictures...I'm not even sure I've seen many pictures.

You and the E's had a great and productive morning.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #1541
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How funny that the CM on the Jungle Cruise used the Laugh Floor jokes?!
I commented earlier that we liked Blake, the Jungle Cruise driver a lot.

Maybe that's why we thought he was so funny. We haven't been to the Laugh Floor in a few years, so the jokes were new to us!

Last edited by natebenma; 03-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #1542
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

AWESOME update, Cnynthia!! How incredibly cool that a visit to TSI and the Treehouse has inspired such great reading! I love that the boys have some new favorites and that it was a morning that proved wonderful in every way!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #1544
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Great update Cynthia! How fantastic to share some of the classics with the boys. My boys love TSI (mostly shooting the guns at the Big Thunder trains) and Swiss Family Treehouse, too. Great photos! We saw the Tiki Bird show in 2004, but haven't been back since.

Looking forward to hearing what your exciting plans for lunch are!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #1545
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

That was a great morning at MK. Hitting new stuff and spending time with the E's.

I will have to check out that bathroom at the fort. Never knew it was there.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: