Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #1291
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debranator View Post
as for the gift card thing...
if you know of a way to get thousands of dollars in gift cards..
on a regular basis..
that is not slightly shady...[I did NOT say "crooked"..I said..shady]
then..I want to shake your hand..
you probably never again need to work a day in your life.
as for the "shady" gift card thing...
I did it for a couple of years...
as part of being a professional couponer.
I made my living...
as a pro cvser and couponer.
You CAN get gift cards that way...
all kinds of them..
but..it requires a lot of hard work.
It is not illegal....
it is shady..
as you have to dodge store rules...
in turning your hard earned store money into gift cards.
Another way..is to buy items with the 50% holiday discount[at Disney]..
and..return them for the full amount without a receipt.
again..not illegal..but..shady.
and..if it is done too often...
your CM discount will go the way of the dinosaurs.
but..a completely legal ..
totally above board..
way of attaining limitless amount of gift cards without hard labor...
[if the labor was hard..the price would not be that cheap]
if that is possible..my hat is off to you..and to her.
I appreciate your clarification of what you deem shady practices. I just want to clarify that I didn't purport being able to acquire thousands of dollars worth of gift cards in any fashion. Maybe I live in a fairytale world, but my first assumptions about the seller in question were not ones of theft, dishonesty, or shady activities when discussions started about this seller.

I get gift cards on a regular basis through various rewards programs...I hear of people who take hundreds (if not more) of dollars in Disney rewards dollars on vacation with them...another poster on a different board talked about a gift card promo where you purchased $100 and got $10 free. My point was simply that there were a lot of conclusions drawn about how this, that, or the other activity was carried out and I personally found it all a little presumptuous...especially since this person's ebay ID is out there for all to know.

I still appreciate what I have learned from this thread, but accusations, allegations, and assumptions that seem to be relatively unfounded just leave a sour taste in my mouth. It is a concern I had previously expressed to pixiewings and one that remains today.

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #1292
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
Do you mean D Street? The Vinylmation store?

Was she a CM? I have seen a pin book at a cart/stand near D Street in the past. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not ... I think it is a CMs personal book.

Yes.,.she was a cm..
and..she was supposed to be there...
she was behind the cart...
they have a big electrical box or something there.
her book was on top of it.
she had plastic bags filled with pins...
the plastic bags were on the side of the book..
I asked if I could look through em and she said that they were just duplicates..to refill the book with.
It was around 10 PM Thursday night.
The book has some Les and nicer pins..
I actually found 5 that I took.
[I had my girls with me]
debranator is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #1293
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh88 View Post
I appreciate your clarification of what you deem shady practices. I just want to clarify that I didn't purport being able to acquire thousands of dollars worth of gift cards in any fashion. Maybe I live in a fairytale world, but my first assumptions about the seller in question were not ones of theft, dishonesty, or shady activities when discussions started about this seller.

I get gift cards on a regular basis through various rewards programs...I hear of people who take hundreds (if not more) of dollars in Disney rewards dollars on vacation with them...another poster on a different board talked about a gift card promo where you purchased $100 and got $10 free. My point was simply that there were a lot of conclusions drawn about how this, that, or the other activity was carried out and I personally found it all a little presumptuous...especially since this person's ebay ID is out there for all to know.

I still appreciate what I have learned from this thread, but accusations, allegations, and assumptions that seem to be relatively unfounded just leave a sour taste in my mouth. It is a concern I had previously expressed to pixiewings and one that remains today.
and yes...
I do see your point..
but, mine is...anyone can get a few free gift cards or a few hundred dollars worth of them..
and..anyone can sell a few things below cost or very cheaply..
I do it all the time with certain items.
but, only a few of em...
To have MANY of the same items..
and have a variety..
and..they are all brand new..
for WAY below any profit margin..
is still..suspicious to me.
once again..this is my own opinion...
and many people have put down sellers names for the world to see...
and accused them of outright theft.
that is what..feedback is.
Whether it is put in a feedback thread or a thread on a board.
this is America..we can have our own opinions.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #1294
ajh88
DIS Veteran

Quote:
and many people have put down sellers names for the world to see...
and accused them of outright theft.
that is what..feedback is.
Whether it is put in a feedback thread or a thread on a board.
this is America..we can have our own opinions.
I guess the difference for me is that feedback is based on an actual transaction between a seller and a buyer. (And is not always truthful at that, but that is a debate for a different time). The person making the claim of thievery has some sort of basis for that claim - again, first-hand experiences with that seller.

However, when people who have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of the practices of a seller make outright or implied accusations, I have a problem with that. This isn't a question of feedback...these are public accusations in an anonymous forum not linked to specific buyer-seller transactions. And of course everyone is entitled to their opinions (I don't need a lesson on American liberties), but there are also protections for people against baseless accusations (like slander and libel).

I will concede your point on the acquisition of inventory...I don't know how it's done either. I hope it is all legitimate and above board. I know it is difficult to believe that people would purchase so many of the same item to re-sell and it certainly doesn't seem like a sustainable business venture if you're losing money on every one. But I know people who do it...it's like an illness with them. They become obsessed and can't stand the thought of not purchasing every item on the shelf even if they end up just sitting in their garage for years (not talking Disney pins but a different breed of collectible).

ETA: Some people are willing to sell loss leaders to get more customers...big chains do it all the time. That may not be what's going on here, but perhaps some sellers feel that if they sell an item at cost (and take a loss on the fees), they may cultivate future customers for profit-generating merchandise. That may be more of a devil's advocate position, but it could still be plausible. If the items were purchased with the 50% discount, they are being sold at cost (but at a negative profit margin).

I can agree to disagree on this issue...I've said my piece and have gotten it off of my chest.

ajh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #1295
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree with you about assumptions and sellers getting their items in a totally decent and legal way

I don't think it's appropriate for posts about what sellers *might* be doing on this thread. It hurts the good sellers on eBay that are questioned, and the folks trying to read this thread and learn about pins, and buying pins on eBay.

This thread was originally started to discuss personal experiences with sellers on eBay pertaining to scrappers, but lately has been about personal opinions and speculation.

I know personally, and I will NOT elaborate on this subject, that people can get new pins and Disney items for a super, duper, decent price. Cheap enough to buy and resale for a cheap price and make a profit. I know someone who I met at the pin trading nights who does this. I would like to be able to do it to, but the quantity you have to buy, and the minimum order is such an outrageously large amount that I could not.

So, maybe we should focus more on our personal experiences here, and not judge so much.

No one knows how these pins were obtained, and for us to guess and assume it was in a shady way is just a waste of our time, unless we're purposely trying to make other eBay sellers look bad.

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #1296
debranator
earless

Quote:
I guess the difference for me is that feedback is based on an actual transaction between a seller and a buyer. (And is not always truthful at that, but that is a debate for a different time). The person making the claim of thievery has some sort of basis for that claim - again, first-hand experiences with that seller.

However, when people who have absolutely no first-hand knowledge of the practices of a seller make outright or implied accusations, I have a problem with that. This isn't a question of feedback...these are public accusations in an anonymous forum not linked to specific buyer-seller transactions. And of course everyone is entitled to their opinions (I don't need a lesson on American liberties), but there are also protections for people against baseless accusations (like slander and libel).

I will concede your point on the acquisition of inventory...I don't know how it's done either. I hope it is all legitimate and above board. I know it is difficult to believe that people would purchase so many of the same item to re-sell and it certainly doesn't seem like a sustainable business venture if you're losing money on every one. But I know people who do it...it's like an illness with them. They become obsessed and can't stand the thought of not purchasing every item on the shelf even if they end up just sitting in their garage for years (not talking Disney pins but a different breed of collectible).

ETA: Some people are willing to sell loss leaders to get more customers...big chains do it all the time. That may not be what's going on here, but perhaps some sellers feel that if they sell an item at cost (and take a loss on the fees), they may cultivate future customers for profit-generating merchandise. That may be more of a devil's advocate position, but it could still be plausible. If the items were purchased with the 50% discount, they are being sold at cost (but at a negative profit margin).

I can agree to disagree on this issue...I've said my piece and have gotten it off of my chest.
Yes girl..you sure have.
so..let us agree to disagree on this.
and..at another time..
let us have the loss leader on Ebay debate..
as..ir sure has never worked for me.
i have learned to stick with the buyers..
that do not count every penny...
as..they treat me better than the ones i have given out 99 cent deals to..
Old 03-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #1297
debranator
earless

Quote:
I agree with you about assumptions and sellers getting their items in a totally decent and legal way

I don't think it's appropriate for posts about what sellers *might* be doing on this thread. It hurts the good sellers on eBay that are questioned, and the folks trying to read this thread and learn about pins, and buying pins on eBay.

This thread was originally started to discuss personal experiences with sellers on eBay pertaining to scrappers, but lately has been about personal opinions and speculation.

I know personally, and I will NOT elaborate on this subject, that people can get new pins and Disney items for a super, duper, decent price. Cheap enough to buy and resale for a cheap price and make a profit. I know someone who I met at the pin trading nights who does this. I would like to be able to do it to, but the quantity you have to buy, and the minimum order is such an outrageously large amount that I could not.

So, maybe we should focus more on our personal experiences here, and not judge so much.

No one knows how these pins were obtained, and for us to guess and assume it was in a shady way is just a waste of our time, unless we're purposely trying to make other eBay sellers look bad.

oh..come on..elaborate...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #1298
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Pix,I too once got a decent trade out of them..
and..I was once almost terribly ripped off at a trading event.
but, would NEVER go buy them a pin..on principle.
They are really shady and should never be encouraged.
It is not us that I worry about..
it is what they do to young families that gets me really annoyed.
I have seen it and it is penny pinching and disgusting.
I have handed the kids free pins to trade when I see that they are about to get their parents suckered.
and..if they keep up their bull...they will be banned from epcot also.
they already got the pin board..
that was always there..
all day long..
removed..
and now it comes out twice a day..
why?
Because they stalked it.
I just believe that you can make money without..suckering folks.
I have seen 2 of em..
heavy couples in those motorized wheelchairs..
stalking the DTD pin store..
just last week..
and pulling out tourists..to sucker.
I've been almost ripped off as well....plenty of times, and I HAVE been very ripped before, more times than I care to admit. But I will say that as an adult I am smart enough to figure out who's trying to swindle me and who isn't. The lady who wanted the HM LE for the JR LE, that was a good trade! DBF bought 1 lady about $150 in HM LE pins because she had a ton he wanted/needed, when people tell the girls to do that they know to get us, we talk to the trader regarding what they have, what they want and the end cost to us, we aren't stupid when it comes to this. I know other's are not aware of this type of thing so when I am trading and see it happening I try to talk to the parents to let them know to be careful, but it's a learning process and honestly, everyone needs to learn. I help those I can and hope those that don't hear from me don't hold the "sharks" against the "good" traders out there, because we do exist and we do want to make the best trade possible for BOTH parties, not just for one. But that's MY opinion and how we handle it as a family, everyone will be different.

Quote:
I steer clear of the sharks, ever since we moved here, and my son got taken advantage of by one.

I did buy about 75.00 worth of Flower and Garden Festival pins for a trader last year visiting from Disneyland. She had a few complete sets of REAL Disneyland Hidden Mickeys, and she wanted about 25.00 worth of pins (or 2 LEs) for each set.

I did not get taken advantage of, and was glad to help her get the pins she wanted, for pins I wanted

You can tell a shark...

I bought fantasy pins on eBay that show a picture of a spray can, with a shark on it wearing a pin lanyard with pins, and big teeth, and it say's "Pin Shark Repellent" It's awesome, my kids and I wear them to every pin trading event

I love the pin shark repellent pin....in fact I'm going to see if I can find any of those to buy for our trip, I just wonder if I can get them in a week's time...LOL

Quote:
Hi there....
as for 99. cent auctions..
that is different..
I LOVE 99 cent auctions...
it is the sellers that sell them cheaply with "buy it nows" that concern me.
as for the "we" thing...
that is my personal opinion...
I do not buy from sellers that say.."we"..
unless..it is as you said...
there is a reason for the "we" and it is spelled out in the listing.
Too many sellers on the bay act as if they are giant businesses...
and..that is the "we" that bothers me..
not the spouse.
as for the gift card thing...
if you know of a way to get thousands of dollars in gift cards..
on a regular basis..
that is not slightly shady...[I did NOT say "crooked"..I said..shady]
then..I want to shake your hand..
you probably never again need to work a day in your life.
as for the "shady" gift card thing...
I did it for a couple of years...
as part of being a professional couponer.
I made my living...
as a pro cvser and couponer.
You CAN get gift cards that way...
all kinds of them..
but..it requires a lot of hard work.
It is not illegal....
it is shady..
as you have to dodge store rules...
in turning your hard earned store money into gift cards.
Another way..is to buy items with the 50% holiday discount[at Disney]..
and..return them for the full amount without a receipt.
again..not illegal..but..shady.
and..if it is done too often...
your CM discount will go the way of the dinosaurs.
but..a completely legal ..
totally above board..
way of attaining limitless amount of gift cards without hard labor...
[if the labor was hard..the price would not be that cheap]
if that is possible..my hat is off to you..and to her.
It's really not all that hard....I have a bunch of rewards cards we are taking to DL with us in a week, we have 3 or 4 credit cards that give rewards for every dollar we spend, it's very feasible that people get these rewards cards and combine them with sales/discounts and are able to sell the pins for less that way. Disney doesn't limit how many pin sets you can buy so the quantity that someone has really doesn't flag anything for me. It isn't shady, I haven't dodged ANY store rules, in fact I follow the rules to the letter. I'm not getting thousands of dollars in rewards, but I could if I used my card for everything....heck yes, I could have paid in full for my Disney vacation next week if I'd used the card for everything....lol and it wouldn't be shady or illegal at all....

Quote:

Which is why I always say "this is MY opinion and I have NOT used this seller, but this is why I would avoid them." or only comment on sellers I have personally used. I'm not out to hurt anyone or slander anyone, I'm only out to help new buyers use eBay in the BEST way possible.

I have received notification that my order from pinpros has shipped, I have not received any communication from postcards altho I paid last week. I will come back to report on those when I receive them.

And yes, I agree that this thread has become too much with regards to finger pointing, it's not the point and we really need to get back on track....

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #1299
DISMiss85
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the great advice!!!
DISMiss85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #1300
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I received my pins from pinpros today...very very fast!!! They are in FL, we are in CA, the orders were won on Friday, paid on Saturday and received today!! Insanely fast!!!! But I am sad to say that out of 31 pins only 8 are legit, 5 are questionable and the rest are either scrappers or have missing paint....I would be willing to buy from them one more time but if the end result was the same I would not, could not suggest using them in good conscious. Again, these are MY findings, someone else's may be different.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #1301
dissybroad
MNSSHP 2014

This is really a newbie question but could there be said to be a difference between true collectors and kids/adults who just trade in the parks for fun?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #1302
breagirl
Earning My Ears

I am active collector of Disney pins (as are 3 of my children) and I occasionally sell extras on the bay. I've read this thread with great interest for a while and thought I would throw out my experience with buying pins and how some people are able to sell them so cheap.

Since the economy hasn't been the best the last few years, I have noticed more and more people dumping collectibles to help pay for necessities. When I first started trading and collecting, I also bought the too good to be true crap lot on ebay. As my collection grew and I realized there were fake pins on the market, I was sick to think about what I had traded at the parks and resold on ebay (the ones we haven't traded) Since then, I refuse to support anyone who sells the scrapper lots on ebay and I have focused more on buying collections from people who just need extra money/stopped collecting. Just in the last 6 months, I have bought two huge collections. Some included pins that are not that old.

Our rule of thumb, we typically add it to pinpics and let them sit for a while. After a trip to WDW or if we've had no interest in trading, it goes in one of my lots on ebay. Yes, I know my lots could potentially raise some red flags based on pricing, but by the time I dump them on the bay, I REALLY don't want them anymore.

Because of the scrappers issue, I only sell new on card lots on ebay. I stand behind everything I sell 100% and I can promise you nothing of mine is stolen. I'm posting this because I think everyone shouldn't be so quick to judge. Maybe there are others just like me who are trying to dump extras? I am lucky to list 50 pins a month, but when I do sell them, I price them to go. Matter of fact, most of them go to the same repeat buyers as they know I am selling legit pins and I find that most of them turn around and resell them on ebay.

I guess I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm very thankful that this thread exists...I wish I had found it prior to buying all those pins from one of the red listed sellers on this list, but I also learned from that experience and not try to teach anyone that will listen about scrappers and how to avoid them
Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #1303
debranator
earless

[QUOTE=breagirl;40506917]I am active collector of Disney pins (as are 3 of my children) and I occasionally sell extras on the bay. I've read this thread with great interest for a while and thought I would throw out my experience with buying pins and how some people are able to sell them so cheap.

Because of the scrappers issue, I only sell new on card lots on ebay. I stand behind everything I sell 100% and I can promise you nothing of mine is stolen. I'm posting this because I think everyone shouldn't be so quick to judge. Maybe there are others just like me who are trying to dump extras? I am lucky to list 50 pins a month, but when I do sell them, I price them to go. Matter of fact, most of them go to the same repeat buyers as they know I am selling legit pins and I find that most of them turn around and resell them on ebay.

You are right...
of course..everyone dumps their stuff now and then..
it is the major amounts of the same items..
with very low buy it now pricing that is the problem.
not auctions.
finding a deal from small sellers...
is the reason that ebay thrives.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #1304
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I received my pins from pinpros today...very very fast!!! They are in FL, we are in CA, the orders were won on Friday, paid on Saturday and received today!! Insanely fast!!!! But I am sad to say that out of 31 pins only 8 are legit, 5 are questionable and the rest are either scrappers or have missing paint....I would be willing to buy from them one more time but if the end result was the same I would not, could not suggest using them in good conscious. Again, these are MY findings, someone else's may be different.
girl..what are you saying?
You bought a bunch of pins...
[I will NOT say..I told you so]
and almost all were fake.
and you say..
you would be willing to try therm again as they sent them so fast?
Who cares how fast scrappers send their stuff?
and...
you are so worried as to what folks think..
that...
if someone else did luck out and get a real pin from them..
after you got mostly fakes...
they may not be crooked?
I must be reading wrong..
get your money back...
you do not have to buy from every scrapper on ebay..
to realize that they are scrappers.
pinpros pins are obviously scrappers..just by the pins they sell.
I do hope they gave you a refund.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #1305
Jessica527
Dreaming Disney Every Minute :)

Marketplace32 - Sent great pins!! Got 10 from him in somewhat of a grab bag. Send a lot of Disneyland rare pins and some hidden mickeys. There wasn't one pin I did not like, no scrappers here!

2009: All Star Sports - Dad's First Disney Trip
2007 Part 2: Off Site - HS Trip

2007 Part 1: All Star Music
2005: Off Site - HS Trip[
1998: All Star Sports
Jessica527 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: