Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #76
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I'm so glad I found this, i'll def be going here on my upcoming trip.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #77
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Hi all,

We're planning a trip in March. I'm wondering how the tickets work. What does the timed entry mean? When I went online to see about ordering tickets, it said the 10am was good for all day. Do we have to be there by 10am? Sorry, clearly I'm missing something here.
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #78
ter-moo
Just hand me my Oscar and no one will get hurt...
There are some things that not even the Tag Fairy can delete
You want to lick my keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTink View Post
Hi all,

We're planning a trip in March. I'm wondering how the tickets work. What does the timed entry mean? When I went online to see about ordering tickets, it said the 10am was good for all day. Do we have to be there by 10am? Sorry, clearly I'm missing something here.
They time the tickets so that it's not overly crowded at any point during the day. You need to arrive close to your ticket time, but you can stay as long as you want. There's so much to read/look out/play with that you wouldn't want to have hordes of people all in there at once.

Does that make sense???

I would plan to spend AT LEAST 4 hours there.

Disneyland~12/69, 6/75, 5/82, 11/90 (DLH), 1/96, 11/97 (Desert Inn), 1/99, 8/01 (DLH), 12/02 (CCI), 12/03 (Carousel), 9/04 (GCH), 7/06 (CCI), 1/08 (CCI), 12/08(GCH), 4/09 (ParkVue), 8/09(DLH),
8/10 (Carousel), 12/10 (Anabella), 8/11 (PPH), 11/11 (BW Stovalls), 12/11 (PPH), 1/12 (Anabella), 2/12 (Leap Day!) Candy Cane...lost count since then!

Walt Disney World~7/71(day trip), 11/05 (POFQ), 11/07 (POR and BC)
ter-moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #79
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

When you purchase your tickets online you'll be given a choice of times to enter the museum. (You get a few minutes' slack on either side of your arrival time. It's 10 or 15 minutes, but I forget.) No matter what your entry time is, your ticket is good until the museum closes at 6 p.m. You also can buy tickets at the door. I volunteer there and I've never heard of someone being turned away at the front desk. (Has anyone else heard otherwise?)

And ter-moo is correct about giving yourself a lot of time to see the exhibits. The museum also shows a different movie every month. In March it's "Mary Poppins" so build in time in your schedule if you'd like to see Mary Poppins in the museum's beautiful theater.
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #80
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Our tickets had a 15 minute window. The fine prints said that if we failed to arrive within our window we could be denied entry. Now, I don't know if they have ever actually denied anyone entry but keep in mind they could if you are late.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 PM   #81
AustinTink
Gonna dye till the day I die

Thank you all so much for the information. I can't wait to see the museum!!
AustinTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #82
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to let everyone know that the museum no longer has timed entry. If you buy tickets online, and this is a little confusing, they only offer the 10 a.m. option, but you can arrive anytime between 10 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. (Museum closes at 6 p.m.) You can also buy tickets at the door between those times.
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #83
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss SD View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that the museum no longer has timed entry. If you buy tickets online, and this is a little confusing, they only offer the 10 a.m. option, but you can arrive anytime between 10 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. (Museum closes at 6 p.m.) You can also buy tickets at the door between those times.
I think that was a good call. The 15 minute window was very intimidating and I know the City fairly well. I can't imagine how a tourist with no experience getting around etc. would feel and I am sure it detered some people from visiting.
Thanks AidensMom
Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #84
ScooterL
DIS Veteran

We will be on the Disney Wonder's repositioning cruise from L.A. to Vancouver at the end of April - and we'll have two days in San Francisco. I really want to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum one of those days. We'll be there Friday and Saturday, so I assume Friday would be the better day?

The excursions offered by the ship are (in my opinion) too short - only 3 hours or so - which doesn't seem like nearly enough time, so I'd like to do it on my own. Do any of you have suggestions on the best way to get from the cruise ship terminal (I think it's Pier 35) to the Museum? And how long it might take? It looks like there's readily available public transportation (and we also don't mind walking a bit), but the directions on the Museum's web site about transportation seem a little daunting to someone not familiar with San Francisco.

Thank you!
ScooterL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #85
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterL View Post
We will be on the Disney Wonder's repositioning cruise from L.A. to Vancouver at the end of April - and we'll have two days in San Francisco. I really want to go to the Walt Disney Family Museum one of those days. We'll be there Friday and Saturday, so I assume Friday would be the better day?

The excursions offered by the ship are (in my opinion) too short - only 3 hours or so - which doesn't seem like nearly enough time, so I'd like to do it on my own. Do any of you have suggestions on the best way to get from the cruise ship terminal (I think it's Pier 35) to the Museum? And how long it might take? It looks like there's readily available public transportation (and we also don't mind walking a bit), but the directions on the Museum's web site about transportation seem a little daunting to someone not familiar with San Francisco.

Thank you!
Cab - its not that far, I bet it would be under $15. You could possibly take Muni also, that looks to be 2-3 buses depending on how much walking you want to do and approx 45 minutes each way (I'd take the cab) but here is a link with the trip planner I used - it didn't copy the destinations - start at pier 35 end at Disney Family Museum (it found it without issue)

http://tripplanner.transit.511.org/m...?#tab1Selected
Thanks AidensMom
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #86
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

The museum is much too far from the Embarcadero to walk and public transportation can take a while. I strongly recommend you call a cab so you can get to the museum quickly. There is a lot to see and experience at the museum and the time will race by.

Be sure to check the museum calendar to see if there are any special events on the weekend you plan to go. If there is a special presentation, purchase the reasonably-priced tickets for the event, because it will be well worth it. Although Friday may be less crowded, I've never seen the museum overly-crowded even on a weekend.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to San Francisco!

Michael
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:30 PM   #87
emmawebb
Earning My Ears

The Walt Disney museum is american museum. It is located in San Francisco. this museum feature is walt disney life and legacy. This museum have three historical buildings. This museum was opened on 1 October, 2009.
emmawebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #88
lucygraee
Earning My Ears

The Walt Disney is famous and popular museum in all over the world. Walt Disney museum located in San Francisco. In this museum have all information about Walt Disney life. This is very beautiful and family museum.
lucygraee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #89
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

I'm going to be visiting California in August, the week leading up to the D23 Expo. I've never been to the west cost before so it's all new to me, but I really want to take in a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum. I do realise that it'll involve a flight from LA, but as I don't know if/when I'll be back in CA I don't want to miss the opportunity.

My ideal day would have been the Tuesday (shoot, closed!) so I guess it'll now be Weds 17 Aug or Thurs 18 Aug. Any tips and advice on how to plan my day would be very much appreciated - a one-day Disney fan's whirlwind trip to San Francisco!

So far, I expect to get the 7:24am flight from John Wayne airport in LA, which will get me into SFO just before 9am. I'll try to get the 8.35pm flight back to LA. As time is tight, I'm assuming a taxi would be my quickest option to/from the airport, but any idea how much that would cost - or is there a better/quicker choice?

Assuming I manage to arrive at the WDFM near opening time, and if I'm done there by (say) mid-afternoon, what suggestions would locals have for other things to do in a few spare hours - touristy areas are fine as I'll be a tourist!

I know I can easily walk over to the waterside and see the bridge which is a must-do, but any other ideas? Historic locations or buildings to see, a must-visit shopping area (not really interested in expensive or designer clothing type shopping though) or iconic scenic views? I don't mind taking a taxi to somewhere else before heading back to the airport, but I've no idea what I could plan within this rather tight timescale and still make sure I allow enough time to get the flight back.

So, over to you San Franciscans...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #90
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I'm going to be visiting California in August, the week leading up to the D23 Expo. I've never been to the west cost before so it's all new to me, but I really want to take in a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum. I do realise that it'll involve a flight from LA, but as I don't know if/when I'll be back in CA I don't want to miss the opportunity.

My ideal day would have been the Tuesday (shoot, closed!) so I guess it'll now be Weds 17 Aug or Thurs 18 Aug. Any tips and advice on how to plan my day would be very much appreciated - a one-day Disney fan's whirlwind trip to San Francisco!

So far, I expect to get the 7:24am flight from John Wayne airport in LA, which will get me into SFO just before 9am. I'll try to get the 8.35pm flight back to LA. As time is tight, I'm assuming a taxi would be my quickest option to/from the airport, but any idea how much that would cost - or is there a better/quicker choice?

Assuming I manage to arrive at the WDFM near opening time, and if I'm done there by (say) mid-afternoon, what suggestions would locals have for other things to do in a few spare hours - touristy areas are fine as I'll be a tourist!

I know I can easily walk over to the waterside and see the bridge which is a must-do, but any other ideas? Historic locations or buildings to see, a must-visit shopping area (not really interested in expensive or designer clothing type shopping though) or iconic scenic views? I don't mind taking a taxi to somewhere else before heading back to the airport, but I've no idea what I could plan within this rather tight timescale and still make sure I allow enough time to get the flight back.

So, over to you San Franciscans...

Andre
Others have said to take a taxi, I guess the San Francisco BART does not get you close enough. Another option is to go on mapquest.com, key in the airport and museum address, select the "use public transportation" button and see what that gives you. We rented a car. Driving and parking at the museum is super easy. Then, late that afternoon, we drove across the Golden Gate Bridge to Muir Woods National Park to hike the giant redwoods! If you are taxi-ing, you may want to get to Fisherman's Wharf area and ride a cable car, hopefully ending up somewhere where you can get a BART/subway back to the airport.

Enjoy the museum! I absolutely loved the Walt Disney museum, it's like living inside "the Art of Walt Disney" book.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: