Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but you are doing the right thing. You have to take care of yourself.

Does your employer offer an Employee Assistance Program? My employer has one. I've only used it once and it was a while ago, but they had counselors available to talk over the phone. I was going through a rough patch myself and used it to get me through to my appointment with my counselor.

Hang in there. Things will get better.
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
mommy-on-the-move
DIS Veteran

How frustrating that your mother chose to do that! Please don't for one second feel bad about voicing your disapproval at them going directly against what you'd all discussed was right. Your mom may think she is doing what is "right" for your sister but enabling irrational and unwise plans/ideas may seem like it's solved things and made it all better but it's a "quick fix" which is really not in your sisters best interests in the long run. So please don't feel like you shouldn't have voiced that opinion- when I am in good phases and medicated I really do appreciate the family who are brave/resiliant enough to say things and do things I might not like at the time but are in my best interests (no matter how much I think they are whilst in a manic state)

Your husband is right- you need to think of you as well, one of the things I hate most about having BP is the strain I know it puts on my family when I'm unable to moderate my behaviour (which is what keeps me on my meds and attending my sessions- the fact they all do their part so it's only fair I do mine) You need to take care of yourself and I think counselling for you will really help.

I think your mom would really benefit from something similiar too as enabling your sister is really not going to help with her condition.

Om a sidenote would a way of alleviating the immediate stress for you over the fear of the friend going to your mothers to be to contact the shelter, make them aware of the situation and have them put a note on the file that they should not release any personal information about the adoptee? I am fairly sure that information should be kept confidential anyway but would it help with your fears to actually hear them say they can do that?

Planning our next Disney Vacation!!!!

Me - SAHM of five
DH - Patience of a saint
"The Tribe" - DD (13) DS (8) DD (7) DS (4) and DD (11m)

Last edited by mommy-on-the-move; 03-17-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: major typos!
mommy-on-the-move is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
brat
DIS Veteran

Tink

Glad your DH and Kids are there to wrap you in their love.

One of the challanges of mental illness that is not treated is that it can set not just the person who lives with it into a life spining up ended but also those around them.

Praying your pet shelter seals its adoption records( Your DH can call and ask them to Please not give out your Moms name and address).Of course we will also pray for your extended families safety.

I do not know where you are so I do not know what services are close to you.There is a national org for the mentally ill and they offer help to family and friends.They would be able to tell you about services in your area and they would have information to help you understand more.

Tink
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
brat
DIS Veteran

Mommy-on
brat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: