Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

OP, I strongly agree with the other advice you've been given. You know your baby and if you're radar is going off you should listen to it. You need to get a second *or even third!* opinion. Something doesn't feel right. I wouldn't wait. I think you can make your own referral to your county's Early Intervention program. They will come to the house and evaluate your child. They don't make a diagnosis but they can determine if your baby could benefit from services such as PT or OT or Speech.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

Minky is exactly right. It can take several months here to get into see a developmental pediatrician. In the meantime, EI, can take a look, and if your child meets the criteria, begin therapy. Their assessment is free, compared to the $$$ for a dev ped. All you have to do is call and they will come to your home, or if that's not a good option, they'll meet with you elsewhere.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Eeyore5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlenhum View Post
Hold him in front of you with him facing away. Tip him like you are going to drop him on the floor. Does he put his arms out in front as if to break his fall?

I personally would call a developmental pediatrican. Your regular pediatrician should be more aware and proactive especially with the rate of autism and other developmental delays just sky rocketing.

Call your county health department and ask them for a phone number for their early intervention program.

Better to worry and panic over nothing than to wait it out and let months go by when you could be getting him help he needs that can make a HUGE difference at this age. Trust me, I know from experience. I questioned odd things about my son from 13 months old. The county early intervention put me off (make them come evaluate your child, do not take "he sounds okay" for an answer), his pediatrician put me off and all my friends told me I was a paranoid first time mother. My son didn't get diagnosed with any issue until age 2 and got no therapies until then. I always wonder what difference could it have made if therapies would have started at 13 months instead of 25.

It's always better to error on the side of caution. Ease your mind and have him evaluated
I am an ECSE Teacher (early intervention). The one problem we run into when parents have concerns is sometimes the delay isn't enough to qualify them for services. In MN, children under three years need to show a delay at or below the 6th percentile or have a diagnosed condition known to have at least a 50% chance of affecting development. It is frustrating as a teacher not to be able to help families when they are concerned.

OP: I second the suggestion to call the early intervention program. If your child doesn't qualify, they might be able to give you ideas to help your child then check back in with you. We can also talk about options in the community. In my state we can't refer or make recommendations for private services since we are through the school district. But I will tell parents what options are out there. In MN all EI services are free.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: