Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #376
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Sorry I digress! I was meant to write about your phenomenal Chinatown trip. What an awesome thing to be able to show your son! I have to admit that somehow, we always gravitate to visit the Chinatown of the cities that we visit. Its almost like a homing beacon.
So I know this isn't really the place to do this, but I couldn't figure it out. Shushh, I'm really enjoying reading your blog of your trip, especially the DC part...if you couldn't figure it out, I'm going there is a little over a month and doing a lot of research on the Smithsonian. I can't wait to see the lunchboxes!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #377
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Still in Chinatown

Cheap Eats #2 and catching up with my cousin

It was now lunchtime. And I had been anticipating this lunch because we were catching up with my cousin. She had been ill all week – turns out that she pretty much had her head in a barf bag and was surfacing just to see us.

We arranged to meet at the corner of Stockton and Broadway. My cuz knew a place on Broadway that served rice porridge.

For those that have not have the pleasure of experiencing rice porridge or congee, when you’re not feeling well, this dish is to the Chinese what chicken soup is to the Caucasians. Cuz figured that congee was about the only thing she would be able to keep down.

I wish I had taken note of the name of the restaurant…but I was too busy yapping with my cousin to notice.

Whilst she ordered the congee, I had a long look at the menu. It was your typical Chinese menu – loads of options and far too many choices. Still, I persevered to almost page 10 before I finally saw what I did not know I was looking for…..another one-pot meal of rice in claypot.

There were about 10 claypot rice options to choose from, all with a variety of proteins. I ordered the chicken and Chinese sausage option and decided that it was probably going to be plenty big enough for DS and me to share. Plus, we were still a little stuffed from the Dim Sum.

Whilst we were waiting for lunch to arrive, we took lots of pictures together and heaps of her with DS.

I haven’t asked her permission to post her picture….so here’s a view of her corduroy jacket.

She figured that she had a bug or a parasite and was heading to the doctor after lunch. And because she hadn’t eaten solids for a while, when her lunch appeared, she pretty much inhaled it in and I didn’t have the heart to stop her for a picture.

But here’s my lunch.

This dish was more than plenty for DS and me. In fact, we even had some rice left over. The price? A whopping $5.50 for the claypot rice! Even cheaper than the hole-in-the-wall Dim Sum place.
My cousin’s dish was $4.50 and our bill came to about $11.

Here’s the crux. I don’t think I will be heading back to this place in the future. The food was tasty – but the service was lousy! Our server was rude and unhelpful and – I know I may get flamed for this – I only left a tip of $0.25 to show my displeasure.

You see, when I was ordering my claypot meal, I had originally picked a pork and salt fish option. Turns out that from the 10 claypot options on the menu, only 3 were available for lunch. And there was no where on the menu that stated it. She was pretty rude and surly about the whole thing and made it seem like it was my fault for not knowing.

I changed my order. But I asked if it was possible to add salt fish to the dish. I figured they would have some in the kitchen and it would just be a matter of sprinkling a little bit over the rice during the cooking process.

“No!”

No explanation, no checking with the chef….nothing. AND she rolled her eyes at me!

She also plonked down our food when it was ready and we never saw her again for the rest of the time. We had to get another server to get some Chinese tea and water for us.

That’s two strikes…and if she was providing a service for tips, there was nothing worth tipping her for.

Still, aside from the service, I had a great time catching up with my cousin and finding out about family matters. We also experienced another great cheap eat.

But she had to head to the doctors and DS and I had to keep moving. So, we said our goodbyes and parted company.

Walking, walking, walking

It was still fairly early in the afternoon and I’d decided that there was plenty of time for DS and I to walk down towards Market. I wasn’t sure how far we would get as DS has an aversion to physical activity….but it was worth a try.

Given our experience down Stockton that morning, I figured we were safer keeping to the alleys….

….and towards the Heart of Chinatown.

Portsmouth Square is considered the heart of Chinatown because Chinatown originally started down one side of the square.

And the Square also has an appropriately designed restroom for Chinatown!

It has one further attraction for DS….

We spent some time just enjoying the sunshine and the playground.

I managed to push DS out of the playground and we headed down Grant Avenue.

The lanterns were out and it made for a pretty shot.

Going down Grant was probably more touristy than I had wanted, but DS was happy. There were plenty of shops selling Pokemon cards! And I strategically made sure we picked up a pack at the midway point. For any Aussies out there wondering…..no, the Pokemon cards weren’t anything special and they were definitely more expensive than the ones we get in Australia at the Asian $2 shops.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #378
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Yerba Buena Gardens

By the time I got down to Market, I had one very whiney little boy. It had been a long’ish walk. He was tired and wanted a rest. So, I headed to another one of my favourite parts of town for a brief stop.

Yerba Buena Gardens lies between 3rd and 4th Street, and Mission and Folson. It is a wonderful open space with a front yard…

….the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Waterfall.

The setting has been used in various movies and I can’t remember anyone of them right now! But I just love walking behind the falls.

There is also fantastic artwork throughout the garden…

…and views of the wonderful architecture that make up San Francisco.

We headed to the upper terrace and the playground.

There is also a carousel and the Zeum Children’s Museum in the upper terrace.
DS was content to stay and play on the slide.

I was happy to sit in the shade and watch…

Now you see him….

Now you don’t!

Now you see him....

Now you don't ()

There are a heap of things to do at Yerba Buena!

You might have noticed the building behind the slide...I certainly did...because it houses the Ice Skating Rink. I was very happy to see the Ice Skating Rink open. And I managed to charm my way in for free….

For the Not Zamboni but rather an Olympia shot for the scavenger hunt…

…plus a shot of winter sport.

We also found a spot on Mission for our afternoon snack…

…before heading down to 4th Street and getting a No 30 Muni back to the 4th and King Caltrain Station.

(Continued in Next Post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 03-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #379
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Easy Afternoon and Night

Cheap Eats #3

I was conscious that this was my last full day on this holiday and I had yet to get my all-time favourite food on this trip.

So, when we got off at our station, I made a bee-line for a tried and true bakery where I picked up….

DS also indulged…

The Pie, 2 donuts and a pot of tea came to about $8.

I also admired the gingerbread on display....

...before we headed on home.

DH was not joining us tonight – he had a work function to attend. So, we were on our own again.

I had thoughts of shopping for this last night but DS firmly wanted a night in front of the television. Given that I had started the day screeching at him and then made him walk all the way down from Broadway to Mission, I decided that it was probably wiser to let him have his way. So, we opted to have a very lazy night in….well, DS had a very lazy night. I ended up packing the majority of our clothes and shopping!

And we were both asleep long before DH even came home.

Cheap Eats #4

In case you’re wondering, we didn’t go hungry this night!

This is the menu for the ‘social hour’ at the hotel….and this is what DS and I ended up having for dinner.

Not quite what I had planned but given how much we had already eaten today, it was sufficient for our needs….and it was FREE!

A really fabulous day in the downtown area! And, even more enjoyable was all the Cheap Eats we had enjoyed this day.

Up Next – Our last day!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #380
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I can't believe how you got behind the scenes! I want to go to Chinatown with YOU! That's so cool, they won't give us round eyes such a warm welcome. We used to go to all kinds of places in Chinatown when I was in HS and we would get pork buns and all sorts of stuff, I don't know how many restaurants we tried, but we loved them all. I wonder how many were actually authentic. I have never had Dim Sum, but have always wanted to!
So true about the round eyes LOL my mum got chased out of a shop in Chinatown S.F no idea why LOL

I must say though we go to Yum Cha in Springvale in Melbourne and the people there are very warm to us, they love our kids LOL
And they were pretty surprised when we asked for the chicken feet LOL

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #381
shushh
DIS Veteran

It was good of your cousin to make it considering she was unwell. And mmmm...claypot rice! Your DS also did well considering how much ground you covered. The amount that you fit into your trip always astounds me. Or maybe its just that actually remember to take the photos and post them! The shot of the lanterns is just beautiful. Did you find it decorated differently with the New Year coming up?

Oh and hurray for free food!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #382
shushh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So I know this isn't really the place to do this, but I couldn't figure it out. Shushh, I'm really enjoying reading your blog of your trip, especially the DC part...if you couldn't figure it out, I'm going there is a little over a month and doing a lot of research on the Smithsonian. I can't wait to see the lunchboxes!
Thanks for reading along on my blog! I'm sure princess won't mind us having a private chat on her territory...

I think you are very lucky as a Nation to have such a wonderful Institution as the Smithsonian. It is simply incredible. I loved it.

My husband had to drag me away from the lunch boxes because I was taking a photo of every single one! They were so cute!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #383
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

I am back and all caought up...WOW you sure can pack alot into a short time! Loved the tips on Chinatown eats and I have to get to that fortune cookie factory someday Colton would LOVE it! Maybe we should drive down for the October trip and hit SF or maybe the summer 2012 trip hmmm have to think on that more sea lions in the summer so maybe that is the ticket.

Beautiful pics as always!

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #384
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I love all the pics. I really like the waterfall. Everything you eat looks so good and sounds like you found a great price for it as well. I hope your cousin is feeling alot better. Keep it coming. Hope you get a tag
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #385
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
So true about the round eyes LOL my mum got chased out of a shop in Chinatown S.F no idea why LOL

I must say though we go to Yum Cha in Springvale in Melbourne and the people there are very warm to us, they love our kids LOL
And they were pretty surprised when we asked for the chicken feet LOL
Me, on the other hand, they get pretty surprised when I DO NOT ask for the chicken feet. It was one of those things I never quite worked out how to eat...or maybe it had to do with the fact that we had chickens in our backyard in SE Asia...and I kept thinking about them

Quote:
It was good of your cousin to make it considering she was unwell. And mmmm...claypot rice! Your DS also did well considering how much ground you covered. The amount that you fit into your trip always astounds me. Or maybe its just that actually remember to take the photos and post them! The shot of the lanterns is just beautiful. Did you find it decorated differently with the New Year coming up?

Oh and hurray for free food!

That claypot rice was pretty good. Maybe after some time all I'll remember is the rice; and not the service.

DS did very well that day. I kept thinking that I was going to need to walk to Stockton and catch the bus; but he was happy to meander down. Once he got to Market...that was a different story.

The lanterns are normally up. I was a little disappointed that there weren't any extra decorations up for CNY...but then there was still one week to go.

Quote:
Thanks for reading along on my blog! I'm sure princess won't mind us having a private chat on her territory...

I think you are very lucky as a Nation to have such a wonderful Institution as the Smithsonian. It is simply incredible. I loved it.

My husband had to drag me away from the lunch boxes because I was taking a photo of every single one! They were so cute!
Go right ahead! I don't mind at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
I am back and all caought up...WOW you sure can pack alot into a short time! Loved the tips on Chinatown eats and I have to get to that fortune cookie factory someday Colton would LOVE it! Maybe we should drive down for the October trip and hit SF or maybe the summer 2012 trip hmmm have to think on that more sea lions in the summer so maybe that is the ticket.

Beautiful pics as always!
Welcome back "grandma". How are the baby chinchilla's?

October is a nice time to be in SF. But I'm partial to summer. It is warm enough for proper sea swimming; but not too warm that you boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I love all the pics. I really like the waterfall. Everything you eat looks so good and sounds like you found a great price for it as well. I hope your cousin is feeling alot better. Keep it coming. Hope you get a tag
My cousin is feeling better, thank you.

Tag? As I said in another thread, I was always LAST to be picked at playground Tag.
And now that I know that the Tag Fairy is REAL and, in actual fact, is an all-powerful Tag Queen (and not some Moderator in Drag), I don't think I'll be picked for a tag anytime soon.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #386
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

Love the free food.
Homeward Suites do that too with varying quality depending on the location and quality of the hotel.

Is that cherry pie?
More of a curiosity thing than anything...me likey like the Gingerbread men
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #387
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Love the free food.
Homeward Suites do that too with varying quality depending on the location and quality of the hotel.

Is that cherry pie?
More of a curiosity thing than anything...me likey like the Gingerbread men
YES ....my favourite....CHERRY pie

The free food is always a bonus. I'm always amused at how the hotel calls it "snacks" for happy hour. They usually put out the item on the published menu, garden salad, fruit, cheese, cold cuts and biscuits, red and white wine, soda and coffee/tea for happy hour.

More than plenty!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #388
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
Love the free food.
Homewood Suites do that too with varying quality depending on the location and quality of the hotel.
We love this chain! I'm staying there on my next trip and all of them we have stayed at so far have been great! Our only problem is that we miss the evening snacks because we are still out and about. We stayed at one in Texas and they had a waffle maker that made waffles in the shape of Texas! The best part is that we use our Hilton points to stay and get the rooms for FREE!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #389
QuirkyButterfly
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you are still enjoying your time in chinatown. All the food that you are eating looks so delicious. It is a pity that your cousin wasn't feeling well, but it is still good that you got to see her. I love the pictures of the lanterns, so pretty.
QuirkyButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #390
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Great pics as always!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Still in Chinatown
We arranged to meet at the corner of Stockton and Broadway. My cuz knew a place on Broadway that served rice porridge.
Yum! I love congee with pork, chicken & ginger! I add a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil. It's great comfort food.

Quote:

The lanterns were out and it made for a pretty shot.
Do they not have WIND there? I'd be afraid the wind would tangle up all the lanterns.
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: