Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

The Disney Grump is taking me on a DREAM vacation! TR Link, pg 30

That's right, the SoonerGirl clan will soon be embarking on another Disney vacation, and this one will be totally unlike any we've had before. Those of you who know me, know that I suffer from a terrible affliction, I live with a Disney resister! Our last family trip to WDW was in December 2009 and at that time DH said, rather emphatically, NO MORE DISNEY TRIPS!!!! Of course, I tested the waters and tried to get him to agree to one, but he was firm, the answer was NO.

So, how was I able to convince said DH to agree to a Disney vacation? Honestly, I don't really know. Pure determination on my part I guess! Like I said, this Disney vacation is much different than the ones we've taken before, we are going on our first ever cruise. When discussing our vacation options for this year I threw out the possibility of a cruise. The entire family really liked that idea. I immediately started talking about the new Disney cruise ship, The Dream. I showed the boys the video of what the ship was going to look like, and the AquaDuck alone had them sold. DH wasn't so easy to convince, he went into his anti-Disney mode and demanded that I check out other cruise lines. I'm embarrassed to say that I may have acted like a bit of a diva, or a spoiled brat, or I may have even gone into full on melt down mode. Regardless of my method, it worked and the Resistor agreed to let me book the Disney cruise!

It got even better when I suggested we stay at the Hilton in DTD the night before the cruise. DH reluctantly agreed, as long as I promised that I would not try to drag us into a theme park. I could live with that, I'd be on Disney property after all, and I could spend the day shopping in DTD, yippee, pull out that credit card!!

THEN, I got a PIN code in the mail for 40% off deluxe resorts for the time that we would be in Orlando, I was very tempted to grab the phone right then and there and make a reservation, but I didn't. I sat on that code for a few days, trying to figure out the best way to approach the subject with the Resistor. I waited until he was in a really good mood, and then I sprung it on him. I also threw out there that maybe we should arrive in Orlando two nights before the cruise, you know, just so we wouldn't be rushed. Miraculously he agreed, and then he sat there and shook his head, trying to figure out just how he had gotten himself roped into another Disney vacation. Anyway, we are booked for 2 nights at AKL before the cruise, one of my dream resorts, so to say that I am excited is a big understatement! We'll arrive at AKL on June 1st, and on the morning of the 3rd we'll head to Port Canaveral for 4 glorious nights on board the Disney Dream.

Now, I guess I've babbled enough and should probably introduce the cast.

First there is me, Michelle. I'm a SAHM to two boys and I keep myself busy running them back and forth to all of their commitments. I also do lots of volunteering at my younger son's school and with the booster clubs for my older son's high school sports teams. There is always plenty to keep me busy. When people find out that you don't work they automatically assume that you have nothing to do, so you get volunteered for everything. I really don't mind though, I quit working so that I could be fully involved in my kids activities, and quite honestly, I enjoy it. Here's a picture of me taken last May during a trip I took to WDW with my mom.

Next we have DH, Don, aka, the Disney Grump, aka the Resistor. As you have learned, he is not a Disney fan. He doesn't like the crowds, or the lines, or the fact that he feels like all of his vacation dollars are deposited into Disney bank accounts. Honestly, he is beyond ready to go someplace else, and NEXT year I will go along with that. He does work long hours and he travels a lot, so he deserves a trip that he will enjoy as well, NEXT year. (I'm actually keeping my fingers crossed that he loves the laid back style of the cruise so much that he'll want to do it again) Here's Don

We have two boys, our oldest, Justin, will be turning 15 next month. He is a Freshman in high school and loves sports. He plays both basketball and baseball, and I must say, he is pretty good at both. Yes, I am biased, but really, he is. Justin has always enjoyed our Disney vacations, but unfortunately, he has jumped onto the 'let's go someplace else' bandwagon with his dad. He is very excited about the cruise, but wants to try a different type vacation next year, he wants to go to Hawaii, which is ok by me, because maybe we can stay at the new Disney resort there!

Last, but not least, we have Jared. He is 10, and what a mess he is! He is kind of Jekyll and Hyde because on the one hand he is fearless and is a thrill seeker, making me old before my time! And on the other hand, he can be a bit timid and shy when faced with new people or new situations. How one person can be both cautious and fearless is baffling to me, I'm still trying to figure him out! Like his brother, Jared loves sports. He plays basketball, baseball and football. I try every year to get him to quit football, but so far I'm not having any luck. Jared is the one family member that is firmly in my Disney corner. He is a firm believer in the annual Disney vacation. In fact, he is a bit up in arms over the fact that we will be in WDW for 2 days and won't be stepping foot in a park. He can't imagine being so close and not being able to go on his favorite rides!

Here are some pictures of the boys I took a few months ago. We went down to the University of Oklahoma campus (home of the Sooners! ) so that I could try and get some decent photos for our Christmas card. I was pretty happy with the results.

So that's us in a nutshell! Hope you'll stick around and join me in planning our adventure!

Link to my updates:

Getting There is Half the Fun!
Busy Week & Orlando Day 1
Cruise News
A Day With no Real Plans
Newcomer of the Year!
To Cabana or Not to Cabana, That is the Question
Life Stuff & We head to the Port!
Baseball, Countdowns & Shopping
Mother's Day

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 06-14-2011 at 07:08 PM.
SoonerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
njtinkmom
Mouseketeer

Hi I followed you over from Wigd... I am along for the ride - I am hoping for a "Dream" cruise next year - so this year I we have to settle for a week in Disney - lol! Can't wait to hear your plans and how the cruise is!! Congrats on the pin code and AKL - we were there last year and it was great!!

njtinkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

jumpin on board. Glad the Grump said yes to another disney vaction.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS19/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm here; now back to read.

Great start, Michelle. The introduction is great and the boys get more handsome every time I see them.

Maybe you'll still be able to talk Grumpy into one day at a park (if not, you and your youngest son could go).

Last edited by KatMark; 03-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

on getting your cruise and convincing DH to stay at AKL!! Am looking forward to hearing all about your plans! My first dis post was on your May 2010 TR and I have also managed to convince my partner to a trip in September!!
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

Michelle! I'm soooo happy for your cruise & stay at AKL!!!!

You will absolutely AKL! It is so beautiful there! Make sure to take some time to sit outside to just relax & watch the animals! There are alot of viewing areas outside as well as covered areas on patios with giant rocking chairs! So comfy even though they don't look it!

Your boys will LOVE the pool & make sure they try out that water slide! I've never been on it but I hear its great!!!

And of course don't forget about the gift shop! I found alot of "different" items in the AKL gift shop, some stuff that you wouldn't typically find in 500 gift shops across WDW! LOL They even have some resort-specific merchandise for the lodge which was a nice souvenir!

I can't wait to hear about your cruise & see pictures of it!!!! I want to cruise so badly...hopefully in a few years after Luke is potty-trained & we recover from our Beach Club extravaganza

I love how you mentioned that you want to stay at the Disney's Aulani Resort if you go to Hawaii...because I just mentioned that to my DH the other day! I said that I am open to visiting an island, Hawaii perhaps, but only if I can stay at the brand new Disney resort!

I seriously think that you & I should start a support group!

My husband has also been mentioning that there are "other places to go" other than Disney!!! He even said that we need to go other places in Florida other than Disney...what?!? I agreed to the beach or Universal as long as I can have at least 1 day at Disney, even if its just a few hours on the way there. He claims that he really likes Disney & he says that he supports "my hobby" as he calls it, but he really wants to explore other options. I know he must have a deep-down love of Disney because he bought me a gold Mickey charm for Valentine's Day! (or maybe that's just part of "supporting my hobby" ?? )

I have also been working on brain-washing Luke which doesn't take much because he LOVES Disney as much as I do!!! *I think* that I have them both convinced that we need to take a Disney cruise in the next 2-4 years, but my DH has also mentioned other cruise lines. I just keep mentioning how fast Luke is growing up & I want him to experience Disney as much as possible while he's still my little baby!

Oh well...at least you & I both know that we have someone else who understands what we're going through & we can support each other!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
disneyfan61
DIS Veteran

Since I read Jackie & Anita's reports I thought I would hop on board.

Great news on AKL & a cruise.

I know how it is with boys in sports. Mine are 22 & 18 & my 18 year old is in High School & plays soccer (year round). If it is not for school it is spring & summer travel, & then in the winter it is indoor soccer. He has us on the go year round but we will miss it when he is done.

The boosters tried to get me to run the whole thing this year but I have a stressful full time job so I really cannot run the whole thing but I do go to meetings & am really involved with the year end banquet & fund raising. You are right though they always looks for the mom that does not have a full time job.

I am lucky that our boys & my DH like going to Disney still. We love the theme parks & ride everything together. I think DH really goes for the food!! We are going the last week of May as my oldest DS graduates from college on 5/21 & we leave 5/22. We are staying 1 night at Universal & then heading over to POFQ.

I am looking forward to reading more of your PTR.
disneyfan61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #8
MEK
DIS Veteran

Marking my spot. I'm really looking forward to this one!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
999ghostslover
DIS Veteran

Hi SoonerGirl! We are going on a 2012 cruise. As soon as dates are released for October. Can't wait to read your TR. I'm trying to focus on this year's trip but my mind keeps wandering to next year.
999ghostslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
kschafer
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear all about it

June 2008, WDW with the entire family, May 2010, Girls only...woohoo!
June 2011, Two week blowout, December 2013, Christmas with the Mouse
kschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Following you over from Jackie's PTR. I have never been on a cruise so I am curious to see all the planning and ,of course, the trip.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

I'm In.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

YAY for a new PTR!!! I'm very excited to hear about your cruise. I want to eventually go on a cruise with Howard. Of course, the obvious would be to do a Disney cruise, but we're also very interested in an Alaskan cruise. I'm excited to hear about your trip because I love your TR style, and I know you'll be detailed! What are your dates?

And oh man, I can't believe that within just a short amount of time, Justin and Jared look even older!!!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Woo hoo, joining in! Thanks for the heads up.

So exciting about the cruise!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
uncw89
DIS Veteran

I'm in too! I'll try to keep up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: