Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #841
disney1474
DIS Veteran

Finally got caught up with your TR. We might have to try WPE when we're down there in May..the food looks yummy.
Thanks for answering the PM's I sent you...you've been a great help

DVC MEMBERS AT AKV SINCE MAY 2007
disney1474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #842
kid-at-heart
DIS Veteran

Hi Ellen,
I can see your tickers now. I guess they took a vacation for a short while.

What is the name of the restaurant Loni likes in St. Augustine?

What only 7 (or is it 8) trips planned? My spouse says we travel twice as much as he likes and half as much as I like. He is wrong, I would be traveling every month if I could.

kid-at-heart is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #843
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

yay for getting laptop back but boo for him being odd. Yup added that to the do not call list.

I am having a crisis here. I'm leaving for Atlanta in 11 days ( okay just planned the trip today--sis is in ATL) I soooooo want to drive on down to Orlando for a day. What's 8 hours when you have driven 20 right? LOL. Tim thinks I am NUTS.

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #844
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

I am surprised that Vero is designed like BCV on the inside - I guess alot of them are like that really -
Your lunch looked delicious - have to try the veggie melt
I'm glad you got your computer back - I can't believe the nerve of that guy - the reason he had to make the trip was because he gave you lousy service to begin with!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #845
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Wow I've seen EoS busy but never like that. I can't even imagine. You lunch looked good too though.

Glad you got your computer back. I think $20 was generous considering his attitude.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #846
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Well at least you got the laptop back, hopefully he didn't use it.

WPE is one o fthose places that we haven't tried, but is on my list to try in September.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #847
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wait - didn't the limo driver drive away with YOUR computer. Shouldn't he be checking his work space. Idiot. Then demanding a tip. But, you are right, he could have sold the computer or kept it, so I guess you were pretty lucky.

Those CM's at OKW are so cute! That resort is still on my "must-stay" list. How great of them to check your luggage and print your boarding passes. That is awesome.

Lunch looks pretty good, too. Of course you were starving. You ate like crazy for a week. It's hard to go back to normal eating after that.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #848
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1474 View Post
Finally got caught up with your TR. We might have to try WPE when we're down there in May..the food looks yummy.
Thanks for answering the PM's I sent you...you've been a great help
WPE is a GREAT counter service- it feels like a TS in a lot of ways, and the food is delicious. Next time I need to try the meatloaf...

No problem on the PMs! I hope I did help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid-at-heart View Post
Hi Ellen,
I can see your tickers now. I guess they took a vacation for a short while.

What is the name of the restaurant Loni likes in St. Augustine?

What only 7 (or is it 8) trips planned? My spouse says we travel twice as much as he likes and half as much as I like. He is wrong, I would be traveling every month if I could.
Loni loves the Columbia Restaurant- it has been in business since 1905, and she had a cookbook with her the last time we were hanging at the pool at AKV in September- there is also a Columbia in Celebration. I think it's pretty pricey, but she loves it and wants to go with me someday.

My DH feels the same way about vacations, I think. And I feel the same way you do! And yea....I guess that's alot of planned trips, but I need something to look forward to always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
yay for getting laptop back but boo for him being odd. Yup added that to the do not call list.

I am having a crisis here. I'm leaving for Atlanta in 11 days ( okay just planned the trip today--sis is in ATL) I soooooo want to drive on down to Orlando for a day. What's 8 hours when you have driven 20 right? LOL. Tim thinks I am NUTS.
8 hours each way for a DAY????? Is there a night involved?? Because that really sounds a little ...ummm...and I mean this in a nice way...CRAZY Laura!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I am surprised that Vero is designed like BCV on the inside - I guess alot of them are like that really -
Your lunch looked delicious - have to try the veggie melt
I'm glad you got your computer back - I can't believe the nerve of that guy - the reason he had to make the trip was because he gave you lousy service to begin with!
I thought the same thing when I first saw it- it's like the BC, but, why wouldn't it be? It IS different, though- the colors are different, it is more tan and green with the blue coming from the Ocean outside.

Are you still thinking about May 6th?????
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #849
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
Wow I've seen EoS busy but never like that. I can't even imagine. You lunch looked good too though.

Glad you got your computer back. I think $20 was generous considering his attitude.
Thanks- I thought $20 was appropriate, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Well at least you got the laptop back, hopefully he didn't use it.

WPE is one o fthose places that we haven't tried, but is on my list to try in September.
He couldn't use it- it has a security lock, so I don't think he could have logged on (which provided me with some comfort) unless he had someone hack in. Definitely try WPE- Pods LOVES it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wait - didn't the limo driver drive away with YOUR computer. Shouldn't he be checking his work space. Idiot. Then demanding a tip. But, you are right, he could have sold the computer or kept it, so I guess you were pretty lucky.

Those CM's at OKW are so cute! That resort is still on my "must-stay" list. How great of them to check your luggage and print your boarding passes. That is awesome.

Lunch looks pretty good, too. Of course you were starving. You ate like crazy for a week. It's hard to go back to normal eating after that.
Yes...he did...and yes...he was an idiot...but an honest idiot all the same.

I really want to go back to OKW, too- I was planning to next year, but since we bought the BW points, it will actually be LESS points to stay at the BWV in a standard room....so that's what we'll be doing, I think!

And we were starving because we had not had any real breakfast, we just packed up & threw some food at the kids, and then we waited for the idiot for so long that by the time we could eat, it was actually 2 pm....I would ALWAYS be starving in that scenario!!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #850
karajeboo
DISmom by land and by sea!

OK Ellen (and Jen), Jeff wants a list of Must Eats.... yes, that's what he is researching and planning right now..... because his MAGICal eating adventure begins in just 22 days..... And to see his little chicken legs you'd never know he could eat so much!

Check out my TRs: DISmoms 3! If the Tiara Fits..... May, 2011
The McSparklesons are BACK! And they are CRUISIN! March, 2011
DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,
Yes, I AM the Upgrade Queen May, 2009, DISmoms Gone WILD!!!! , May, 2009
A Joint TR with "podsnel" and "Camster0307"

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
karajeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #851
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
OK Ellen (and Jen), Jeff wants a list of Must Eats.... yes, that's what he is researching and planning right now..... because his MAGICal eating adventure begins in just 22 days..... And to see his little chicken legs you'd never know he could eat so much!
Oh my gosh we are there during F&W so much that I haven't had many eats around the pavilions. But here go my faves...

1) Cheddar Cheese soup/pretzel bread (Le Cellier/Canada) No ADR? No problem (so I've heard..... we haven't tried this ourselves yet) but word around town is if you ask at the hostess desk you can get some of this to go. We'll be trying it out in May for sure!

2) School Bread (Kringla Bakery/Norway) Not just a creme filled coconut donut. Oh no...this is much much more! If you get some to go at night they make a killer breakfast the next morning!

3) Eclairs (or anything at: Boulangerie Patisserie/France) Best during illuminations snack. Unfortunately the entire park knows this and the lines are killer. Get em a little early and let them thaw out, yums!

4) Kaki Gori (kiosk/Japan) Tasty relief on a hot day! Love this variation on a snow cone!

(yes, I have a sweet tooth!)

5)Fish & Chips (Yorkshire(?) stand/UK) Love this for lunch when we do not have ADR's anywhere!

I have not visited Karamel Kuchen (sp?) yet, and even though i think it is more of a shop than a restaurant per se, but I know choclates and caramels are right up my alley (heard the caramel apple is KILLER)!

Not a lot of advice for DAK and MK but at DHS I LOVE the carrot cake cookie at the Writer's Stop, that has to be the biggest value on property too, $2.95 for a cookie that serves like 2 or 3 ppl!

Hope that helps Kara! We're going to MK this weekend, I am so stoked even though it is supposed to rain all day Sunday! Boo!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #852
karajeboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Oh my gosh we are there during F&W so much that I haven't had many eats around the pavilions. But here go my faves...

1) Cheddar Cheese soup/pretzel bread (Le Cellier/Canada) No ADR? No problem (so I've heard..... we haven't tried this ourselves yet) but word around town is if you ask at the hostess desk you can get some of this to go. We'll be trying it out in May for sure!

2) School Bread (Kringla Bakery/Norway) Not just a creme filled coconut donut. Oh no...this is much much more! If you get some to go at night they make a killer breakfast the next morning!

3) Eclairs (or anything at: Boulangerie Patisserie/France) Best during illuminations snack. Unfortunately the entire park knows this and the lines are killer. Get em a little early and let them thaw out, yums!

4) Kaki Gori (kiosk/Japan) Tasty relief on a hot day! Love this variation on a snow cone!

(yes, I have a sweet tooth!)

5)Fish & Chips (Yorkshire(?) stand/UK) Love this for lunch when we do not have ADR's anywhere!

I have not visited Karamel Kuchen (sp?) yet, and even though i think it is more of a shop than a restaurant per se, but I know choclates and caramels are right up my alley (heard the caramel apple is KILLER)!

Not a lot of advice for DAK and MK but at DHS I LOVE the carrot cake cookie at the Writer's Stop, that has to be the biggest value on property too, $2.95 for a cookie that serves like 2 or 3 ppl!

Hope that helps Kara! We're going to MK this weekend, I am so stoked even though it is supposed to rain all day Sunday! Boo!
Oh, silly girl, I feel so bad that you went to all this trouble..... We KNOW where the good eats are at WDW.... I'm talking about the MAGIC!!!!! This will be our first cruise and all Ellen told me was "the chocolate stuff." Yeah, that Ellen, she can really elaborate!

Oh, and next time you are in Norway, try the almond pretzel instead of school bread..... 2DIE4!!!!

DISmoms Round Two: Don't Axe, Don't Tell May 2010 - A joint TR with my fellow DISmoms!
On the 1st Day of Christmas, Walt Disney Gave to Me...... December 2009; Belly Up at the Dolphin September, 2009 ,

Upgrades, Underwear, and Upside Down Fun - a TR full of "new" adventures! , March, 2009
5/2012 DCL Dream (DISmoms 4) 3/2012 DCL Magic Western Caribbean 12/2011 BWV (Mom/Dad's 50th Anniversary) 5/2011 BWV (DISmoms Gone Wild III) DCL Magic Eastern Caribbean (First family cruise!) 5/2010 BCV (DISmoms Gone Wild Part II) 4/2010 CSR (Mother/Daughter Trip12/2009 VWL (Family Christmas Trip) 9/2009 Dolphin (Mother/Daughter Trip) 8/2009 ASSP (Mothers/Daughters Trip with Neighbors) 5/2009 AKL (DISmoms Gone Wild Trip), 5/2009 AKL (Family Trip), 3/2009 CSR (Mother/Daughter Weekend), 11/2008 CSR (Mother/Daugter Trip), 9/2008 Yacht Club (Anniversary Trip), 5/2008 POP (Grand Gathering),3/2008 POR (P&PP), 5/2006 POP (Family Trip), 5/2000 CSR (Business), 5/1998 BWI (Honeymoon), Multiple offsite adventures!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #853
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Oh, silly girl, I feel so bad that you went to all this trouble..... We KNOW where the good eats are at WDW.... I'm talking about the MAGIC!!!!! This will be our first cruise and all Ellen told me was "the chocolate stuff." Yeah, that Ellen, she can really elaborate!

Oh, and next time you are in Norway, try the almond pretzel instead of school bread..... 2DIE4!!!!
I was wondering.....LOL!!!!! Silly me, that makes much more sense! It was no trouble though, I love blabbing about WDW!

So the Magic...let's see...Onboard is quite different from the parks as there really aren't a whole lot of options, especially for snack type items.

I'm a hog for the chicken strips at Plutos, they are the same ones that used to be served at WDW CS until they cheaped out for the nuggets a few years ago. The strips taste much, much better!

There's the midnight buffet at Lumiere's on the second Formal night, that's where the chocolate fountain is. All these cruises and i have not made it to that yet!

Of course Palo..chocolate souffle is the best food item onboard IMHO. But any and everything Palo at any chance you get is always a good choice.

The pastries at Cove Cafe, they are free and are the same ones from Palo brunch.

Of course as you may have heard they will revoke your Disney Fan card if you do not order Mickey Bars, either at dinner or from room service! (free)

When we have time (which we didn't last cruise) we like to order a set of Mickey Bars and then take them to the theater for the shows. There are snack bars by the theater but those goodies have an additional charge...The big island cookies from room service are also good snacks to take to a movie or show.

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #854
karajeboo

THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD OF A MIDNIGHT BUFFET!!!! Jeff will be so happy! Since we've never cruised, but have heard about midnight buffets on cruises, that was what he was most excited about and then it didn't look like DCL did that. So now we have to stay up late for that! And yes, I'm also excited about Palo. We love us some good eats......

Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #855
podsnel

For Kara & Jeff

Quote:

Silly me... I thought 57 pages of elaborations was SOMETHING...but it's never enough, APPARENTLY, so here are MORE DINING SPECIFICS!!!

Oh- and I can't WAIT for the BIG Florida-DISGIRL-GEEK-OFF....happening on Sunday, May 15th, at an EPCOT near you... not that I won't be competing, too.... pretzels, school bread- I have yet to try EITHER!!! But V&A's ROCKED!!!! I CAN say THAT!

But PLEEEEEEEZ make sure I try them both this time!!! I feel so ASHAMED!!!! And hungry!

ANYWAY....MISS KARA....here's what I really liked-

Breakfast-
I love the fruit already cut into sections (like grapefruit) and any of the sandwiches. Hopefully the REAL grapefruit cutter will please stand up on your cruise, he was missing on ours- but still nice to have the fruit.

Animators-
Ahi Tuna Tartare & the Veal Chop were our faves

Palo-
Get the Pomegranate Whosee Whatsis Martini- TDF! And please remember to order it JUST THAT WAY!!!!!
ANY pizza- you MUST!!!!!!
Lobstah & Mascarpone Ravvies- another TDF, we got them in between other courses (as I believe I mentioned on page something or another.....)
Of COURSE, the chocolate souffle....
Don't get the gnocchi- if you want pillow light truly amazing gnocchi, you're gonna have to pay a visit north, and I will join you at PO in the west Village in NYC...their gnocchi makes you shun all others....

Lumiere's- best menu, best night of rotational dining IMHO (and in Gabor's HO, too)
Escargot- order LOTS! if you like snails, why skimp? Have as many of those slimy critters as you can slide down your gullet, I say! They are garlic-a-licious!!!
Lamb Shank was VEEEEEEERRRRRRRY tender and yum....
Sea Bass- Pods LOVED this!

Pirate night-
I'm not gonna lie...not our favorite meal- but the crab cake is very good, and the macadamia nut mahi is totally yummy!! Is there a shank that night, too? That might be good as well.

LOBSTAH night- aka- semi formal night and night of the hidden magical midnight buffet.
Well, my best advice is to order 2- to start. After hearing Jen's teeny tiny tale of tail I say- TAKE NO CHANCES!!! order 2 OR 3 from the start! Then order more!!! Our server said that her highest ever was 7 tails- TOP IT!!!! Nothing will make darling Ally (aka, TBP- The Beverly Pusher) more proud than to see Mom & Dad gourging themselves on FREE FOOD!!!!!

If you can get her outta that club long enough to see it happen....just sayin....

Wow...this Chardonnay I'm havin is pretty good....

Okee Dokey, what's left....Til we Meet Again...

Sesame Tuna Sashimi- now, I KNOW it's the last night, and it's FISH- RAW FREAKIN FISH....but settle down, it's all good! I make a LOT of tuna tartare, (as I'm sure you do too, Miss Kara aka Paula Dean)(aka, Miss Kara-there's-a-kitchen-in-this-house??????????)but, as I'm sure JEFF knows, alot of sushi grade fish is flash frozen, and that must have been the case here, because it was DEE-LISH-US!

Lamb Loin- Pods had this, it was very good-

Room Service-

HAVE to get (as Jen Said) Mickey bars- OMG!!!!! They are FREE!!! Well, they are a tip (we make sure to have an envelope of singles for this purpose in a drawer for the cruise....but I'm sure you already know that, Miss Disney!) or...they are at dinner EVERY night- never mentioned, but if you ask, you shall receive......)

Tuna on Brioche (REALLY, REALLY yummy)

Steak Sammie- that's the sandwich that was too far for me. I couldn't eat a steak sandwich after a cheeseburger- can you imagine?????

Cheese Tray- Ok...I have never had the pleasure. On this cruise, I went on old info from our last cruise, and passed. BIG MISTAKE!!! I saw a pic the other day- I think it would be the purrrrrrr-fect thing for happy hour on the balcony!

Go to every fast food option on the pool deck- all good ( but not PIZZA! DUHHHHHH! not.... WINNING!)

OMG, Charlie Sheehan is SUCH a ...well, you know....

Cove Cafe- GET THAT FREAKIN CARD THE FIRST DAY!!!!!!!! Pastries are FREE (whether you get the card or not- but they make a mEAN buncha coffee drinks in that place, and don't MAKE me say, "I TOLD YOU SO" when you get off that ship one punch shy of a freebie)! Sleeping over ( I mean drinking coffee) is OPTIONALLLLLLLLL!!!!!

Love the little sammies at Goofy's Galley- and I hope you know I have a fond, fond affinity for a cheeseburger from Pluto's- you DID read this TR, right???

Hmmmmmmmmm....what did I forget???? AH! My two most FAVORITE things!

Pods says, "Kara! Don't be askin no stupid questions!!!"

TB Cont'd.....You know...for Kara's enjoyment....

Last edited by podsnel; 03-04-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: