Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Packing folders andpacking cubes are a packers best friend. May 2008 I decided to see if I coud do carryon only for 8 nights/nine days. I was able to squeeze 8 pairs of shorts and 8 thin blouses into one 18"packing folder which easily fit into one side of my Hey's 20" carry on. The other side of my carry on held a pair of flip flops, a pair of sandals, two sundresses (and a swimsuit) rolled into a medpacking cube, 8 pairs of underwear and 8 bras in two slimpacking cubes, along with a smallpacking cube that held makeup remover wipes, sunscreen towelettes and a few other odds and ends like a small solid lip balm, stick deodorant, small hairbrush, small comb, etc.
How do the packing cubes help? Can't you just roll your clothes and get them into the same amount of space?

What brand of packing cubes/folders do you buy?
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I know I will be packing different on this trip as I usually go in August...so, I do wash once I am there and take as much clean stuff home as I can, however, this time, I am cruising first, then WDW and we may need jeans/sweatshirt..so..I won't pack as light as I usually do...

noahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Packing for summer trips is so easy: shorts, tanks, sandals, flipflops, sunscreen A cold-front passing thru will never happen.

On the otherhand, I've been in NOV when Florida had an "usually cool" week of temps and all anybody had ,at best was 2 thin sweatshirts and the jeans we wore on the plane. I can laugh at it now thinking about all the people we saw that week with the same sweatshirts on that were all purchased on WDW property. Obviously the memo about the weather was never sent
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
RACHELSMOM1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizabu View Post
I'm one of those people who will wear a pair of jeans at least 3 times before washing them provided I haven't smeared anything on myself so for a week I would need 2 pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, a bathing suit and a couple T-shirts (I will probably buy more as souviners). Clean undies are a must. Throw in a stick of deoderant and a baggie with some makeup items and I'm good to go. The outfit I'm wearing counts as one outfit and I wear one pair of comfy shoes everywhere. The hotel provides the hair dryer, soap, shampoo, towels etc so you don't have to worry about any of that. Definitely do-able.

ETA- even if you forgot to bring your toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant don't worry, most hotels will give you some for free as a courtesy. Don't stress.
I could never wear a pair of any pants three days in DW, too sweaty. Even in winter having them on and walking in them all day, well they just get dirty and yucky. I don't know how you do it, wish I could pack light. Sure as I don't pack two outfits per day we will need them.

PRINCESSES CAN HAVE DOWN SYNDROME, TOO!!
RACHELSMOM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #20
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACHELSMOM1 View Post
I could never wear a pair of any pants three days in DW, too sweaty. Even in winter having them on and walking in them all day, well they just get dirty and yucky. I don't know how you do it, wish I could pack light. Sure as I don't pack two outfits per day we will need them.
I'm the same way. I don't know if my clothes are, in reality, that dirty or sweaty, but they always seem that way to me after one wearing.
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #21
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
Packing for summer trips is so easy: shorts, tanks, sandals, flipflops, sunscreen A cold-front passing thru will never happen.

On the otherhand, I've been in NOV when Florida had an "usually cool" week of temps and all anybody had ,at best was 2 thin sweatshirts and the jeans we wore on the plane. I can laugh at it now thinking about all the people we saw that week with the same sweatshirts on that were all purchased on WDW property. Obviously the memo about the weather was never sent
I would rather not purchase half a wardrobe while we're there, if I can avoid it! It could be hot or cold, wet or dry, when we go, so I need to have some of everything. What I need to do is watch the 10 day forecast as the trip gets closer and pack according to that. Or not, if the forecast is typically unreliable! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
I know I will be packing different on this trip as I usually go in August...so, I do wash once I am there and take as much clean stuff home as I can, however, this time, I am cruising first, then WDW and we may need jeans/sweatshirt..so..I won't pack as light as I usually do...
I'm sure I'd pack twice as much as I already pack if I were going on a cruise too Good luck with that! It'll be a great trip either way, though.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZo View Post
I think some of it depends on what time of year you go. Wintertime? Long-sleeve shirts and long pants take up more room than shorts and t-shirts. But in the warmer months, you get much more hot and sweaty, so you might need to change clothes more often (I hate wearing sweaty clothes!).

I know you said you don't want to do laundry, but for me, it's worth it to take a two-hour break mid-trip and pack half as many clothes. I'm an over-packer by nature (and OP, it sound like you are, too!) and love the convenience of doing laundry mid-trip. Totally worth it to me.
I may have to do laundry. I don't mind laundry at home, just not my favorite thing to do when I don't have a washer/dryer close at hand. We're going when the weather could do just about anything, so I'd need some of everything, probably. Maybe the trick for me is to make my layers mostly lightweight (cotton capris instead of jeans, for example). I might be able to take more changes of clothes in the same space, at the same weight. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #24
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSop View Post
Length of stay and time of year make all the difference.

For example, I usually go in the summer and it is HOT! My outfit pieces are very small (I wear a very small size), BUT I have to bring two outfits per day because I completely sweat through my clothing.

My last trip down was this past October - I got by with my wheeled carry-on, and a back pack as my "personal item." It was only a five day trip, so it totally worked. Didn't need heavy clothes, but it wasn't so hot that I had to worry about two outfits per day. It was perfect!

I haven't traveled to Disney in the winter, but I went to Vienna for almost two weeks last winter and got by on just a suitcase and carry-on. That's with full winter clothes, a few pairs of shoes, some nice clothing, and my music. (I was there to work on music at the opera house.) I made sure to re-wear my two pairs of jeans over and over and I wore my heaviest items on my body when I was on the plane.
Thanks! By the way I just read and enjoyed one of your trip reports! You have a great writing style and great pictures.

When we go, the weather could do anything, so if I watch the forecast when the trip gets close, I think I can pack more efficiently. I love jeans and jean shorts, but I should probably try to bring something else because they take up so much room and are heavy (and they don't dry after a water ride!). Thank you!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #25
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Packing folders and packing cubes are a packers best friend. May 2008 I decided to see if I coud do carryon only for 8 nights/nine days. I was able to squeeze 8 pairs of shorts and 8 thin blouses into one 18" packing folder which easily fit into one side of my Hey's 20" carry on. The other side of my carry on held a pair of flip flops, a pair of sandals, two sundresses (and a swimsuit) rolled into a med packing cube, 8 pairs of underwear and 8 bras in two slim packing cubes, along with a small packing cube that held makeup remover wipes, sunscreen towelettes and a few other odds and ends like a small solid lip balm, stick deodorant, small hairbrush, small comb, etc. My personal item was a small barrel shaped duffel bag which held my camera, cell phone, folder with itinerary and tips, chargers in a small Vera Bradley makeup bag, another small Vera Bradley makeup bag that had a few brushes and tiny screw together jars of mineral makeup, and my 3-1-1 bag. I had travel size bottles of my own shower gel, lotions, body sprays, etc in my 3-1-1 bag. My 3-1-1 bag also held three small screw together jars that I had put moisturizer, night cream and eye cream in, a tiny travel size mascara, and a couple of tiny travel size lip glosses. I carried makeup remover wipes and sunscreen towlettes so I didn't have to waste space in my 3-1-1 bag. It was tight but doable.
I'm impressed! I could do that, right? I love the idea of the packing cubes, it would make me feel so organized (never tried them). Thank you!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyontheLake View Post
DH can do a two week trip to China with only carry-on luggage, but then again he is expensing laundry and dry-cleaning service.
Now there's an idea I like! Not an option, though! Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
I am able to go with 2 suitcases for a family of 4 (2adults, 2children) and 1 carryon. Shorts get worn multiple times.
That's along the lines of what I'm thinking, but I like having my own suitcase so I'm not sure I'd like it. Maybe we could check 2 suitcases, but I pack most of my own stuff in a rolling carryon so I don't have other people rummaging through my stuff! Thanks

Just realized I read and enjoyed your trip report too! Hope your next trip was less stressful!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessasMom View Post
We have a family of three and use three carryons for Disney. For dh & I, we pack two pair of shorts, four tshirts, eight pair of undies and socks, one pair pj's and a bathing suit. For dd, we pack the same but increase shorts and shirts to eight pair because she always goes thru more outfits per day than one and I make custom ones for her. I usually do a load of laundry halfway thru and find it quite relaxing. I use space bags for our clothes. We also pack the minimum size toiletries and get double use out of some things--like we share a razor and dh uses hair conditioner as shaving cream (he says it actually works better as a moisturizer). We use one carryon for gifts from tink, toys, and snacks.
This inspires me to just pack light and do a load of laundry. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytripsandraces View Post
I usually go for a long weekend, so packing light to get there isn't a problem. My problem is not buying so much stuff that I can't get it all back!
Good point! I'll have to watch that, thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyHead09 View Post
It is but the trick is to not stress out!!! Make a list of essentials dont over analyze and just bring the basics! Clothes, shoes, phone, phone charger, camera, money, makeup, bandaids, papers for check in or magical express.
I need to reconsider what I think is essential! I always fail miserably with the shoes and clothing (I bring too much, although I do tend to wear what I bring). Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: