Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #31
LIDisneyFan
Older, yet for some reason not much wiser
I get by with a little help from my friends
 
LIDisneyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Gulf Coast of Florida
Posts: 2,070

Crucial resource for any college bound student

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre.../best-colleges

there is good free information - but if you subscribe (or buy their printed version) you get all info about each college (avg scores, acceptance rates, population diversity, costs etc)
LIDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
allison443
DIS Veteran
 
allison443's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
For a list of resources that's more comprehensive than random individual impressions about schools, see http://www.library.illinois.edu/edx/...s/rankgen.html
Great site!

I also suggest collegeconfidential.com, they have a discussion forum labeled "colleges" and each college has their individual board...usually it attracts people who have gone there/are considering it/current students etc.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #33
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???
 
golfgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 33,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's m View Post
U of MN is out, way too big. Carleton sounds interesting other than the plane ride which is over 700 weekday round trip. I wonder how much extra for holidays?

50,000 and up seems like the norm around here for the better schools. Princeton is 52,180. I can't imagine what the price will be by the time he graduates.
Are you flying him first class??? I just did a search from Newark to Minneapolis for "spring break week" and the flights are coming in around $300. We can usually get flights in the $200 range, round trip out east.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
bballmom56
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 2,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post

I also suggest collegeconfidential.com, they have a discussion forum labeled "colleges" and each college has their individual board...usually it attracts people who have gone there/are considering it/current students etc.
Agree. The Parent's Forum is also very helpful. Lots of people with lots of experience with most of the colleges named so far.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #35
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 5,957

For me, one big thing is the % of students who returned for their sophomore year, it says a lot about the school overall. Acceptance rate and test scores say a lot to me too. All of these things can be found on http://www.collegeboard.org/.
__________________



WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #36
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,439

I agree with lacrosse lady that the retention rate is very telling. I think the acceptance rate can be leading, however. Kids don't want to be turned down so they only apply to schools they have a chance of getting into. Harvard's acceptance rate is 7%, but that certainly doesn't mean 7% of high school students could get in there. The real figure is way lower.

I looked at the rates for some schools I'm familiar with. I'm intrigued by Western Carolina's 39% acceptance rate, UNC Charlotte's 71% acceptance rate and Davidson's 29% acceptance rate. UNC Charlotte is a decent middle-of-the-road state university. Western is a favorite safety school for kids who messed around in high school. Davidson is small and extremely, extremely selective and one of the hardest schools to get into in the country. Unless it's changed, you get to write six essays, half of which are on the "second step" application you receive after you submit the first one. There's no way those three schools can be measuring the same thing.

This illustrates how hard it is to research schools you don't know much about.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #37
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
I agree with lacrosse lady that the retention rate is very telling. I think the acceptance rate can be leading, however. Kids don't want to be turned down so they only apply to schools they have a chance of getting into. Harvard's acceptance rate is 7%, but that certainly doesn't mean 7% of high school students could get in there. The real figure is way lower.

I looked at the rates for some schools I'm familiar with. I'm intrigued by Western Carolina's 39% acceptance rate, UNC Charlotte's 71% acceptance rate and Davidson's 29% acceptance rate. UNC Charlotte is a decent middle-of-the-road state university. Western is a favorite safety school for kids who messed around in high school. Davidson is small and extremely, extremely selective and one of the hardest schools to get into in the country. Unless it's changed, you get to write six essays, half of which are on the "second step" application you receive after you submit the first one. There's no way those three schools can be measuring the same thing.
Davidson's applicant pool is extremely self-selecting. Only students who are extremely serious will apply there. Western Carolina probably has an enormous amount of unqualified applicants. You are right the numbers conceal completely different phenomena.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #38
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???
 
golfgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 33,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkin View Post
Davidson's applicant pool is extremely self-selecting. Only students who are extremely serious will apply there. Western Carolina probably has an enormous amount of unqualified applicants. You are right the numbers conceal completely different phenomena.
Davidson is that school that paid for all their students to go to the NCAA basketball tournament, right?

I just looked Davidson up on CollegeBoards-it says that they have replaced student loans with grants so all of their students graduate debt free-that's probably why they get so many applications.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #39
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's m View Post
U of MN is out, way too big. Carleton sounds interesting other than the plane ride which is over 700 weekday round trip. I wonder how much extra for holidays?

50,000 and up seems like the norm around here for the better schools. Princeton is 52,180. I can't imagine what the price will be by the time he graduates.
Keep in mind a lot of the numbers regarding U of M included their subsidiary schools. I graduated from there and while it is large, it can become very small once you get going there and start getting involved.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
sunshine1178
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 510

Marquette alum here. It was a great school for me. Not as many choices of majors as a huge state u, so some of my friends transferred when they switched majors. Very well respected business, engineering, nursing, and physical therapy programs. Being downtown Milwaukee, there are lots of opportunities for internships. Community service is emphasized, but not required. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my kids' friends. (No way they'll go where their uncool mother went!)
sunshine1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg
 
punkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Davidson is that school that paid for all their students to go to the NCAA basketball tournament, right?

I just looked Davidson up on CollegeBoards-it says that they have replaced student loans with grants so all of their students graduate debt free-that's probably why they get so many applications.
I don't know. I know almost nothing of athletics. Their academics are top notch though.
__________________
“You don’t want coon dogs chasing squirrels!” Justice Antonin Scalia.
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
tw1nsmom
I'm glad I took the plunge
The kids call him Chippy the Wonder Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFFYCAT View Post
Anyone know about York College in PA or College of St. Rose in Albany?
We're also on a budget so the SUNY schools may be the way to go if my DD doesn't receive enough merit awards.

My older DD goes to SUNY Cortland and loves it. Seems to be pretty good.
St. Rose is a good school. They have a good education department. I've taken DS there for speech and reading therapy and they have some great professors and clinics that allow the students to get hands on experience.

It really depends on what your DD wants to major in. I graduated from SUNY Geneseo. It's an excellent small school with a great education department. There are other good departments there as well. It's difficult to get in now. It's probably the most difficult SUNY to get into.

SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook are two really good places to go if you want to study Chemistry. What does she want to do?
__________________
"Just keep swimming,swimming. Just keep swimming swimming..."
tw1nsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #43
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Davidson is that school that paid for all their students to go to the NCAA basketball tournament, right?

I just looked Davidson up on CollegeBoards-it says that they have replaced student loans with grants so all of their students graduate debt free-that's probably why they get so many applications.
Yes, no loans at Davidson. It's a very special school for the right kid. Everyone lives on campus four years, they use Myers Brigg to match roommates and virtually all live together four years. Needless to say, they have virtually no students leaving early either. With two kids finished/through college, it's the single most impressive visit we've ever had. It has to be right for the kid, though, as it's sometimes listed as the school with the heaviest workload in the country, something they were very sensitive about.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
mom2travel
DIS Veteran
 
mom2travel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 2,407

First, great idea for a thread golfgal!

Our DS is a sophomore and we've started reading through the college books, combing through the mail and emails that have been coming in, and talking about where he might be interested in going. So far, he is mostly looking at either big schools or schools that are well-known (at least to us).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Yes, no loans at Davidson. It's a very special school for the right kid. Everyone lives on campus four years, they use Myers Brigg to match roommates and virtually all live together four years. Needless to say, they have virtually no students leaving early either. With two kids finished/through college, it's the single most impressive visit we've ever had. It has to be right for the kid, though, as it's sometimes listed as the school with the heaviest workload in the country, something they were very sensitive about.
I didn't realize this about Davidson. DS did a tennis camp out there last year and really liked the people and the campus. He has a friend attending there next year as well (whose brother is currently enrolled). His hesitation was that it is really small and from his week there (on campus only) he didn't feel like there was much to do in the town/area (ignoring of course the nice big lake and outdoor activities you drive past!). I keep reminding him that he can't compare everything to UNC Chapel Hill. It is on his list right now, but I imagine that list will change a lot over the next year.


Drexel - I have family members and friends who went there for undergrad and/or grad school. All but one of them are engineers (the other a graphic designer). Good school. Very immersed in the city, not much of "campus life" as PP said.

Champlain - as a PP said, in a very pretty area. Burlington is a fun little city (although I thought someone told me the crime rate is higher than you'd think). Crazy high taxes in VT relative to income, which would only matter if someone stayed up there after graduation. I know several people who attended and all have some type of business/accounting background.
__________________
Me, DH, DS, DD

CR Poly GF ASSp DLR
WL BWI AKL YC POFQ
mom2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #45
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags
 
MUFFYCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Polynesian
Posts: 31,133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1nsmom View Post
St. Rose is a good school. They have a good education department. I've taken DS there for speech and reading therapy and they have some great professors and clinics that allow the students to get hands on experience.

It really depends on what your DD wants to major in. I graduated from SUNY Geneseo. It's an excellent small school with a great education department. There are other good departments there as well. It's difficult to get in now. It's probably the most difficult SUNY to get into.

SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook are two really good places to go if you want to study Chemistry. What does she want to do?

History/Social Studies Education.That's why St Rose came up as one of the choices through the collegeboard search. I know Geneseo is an excellant school but she ruled that out because it's too far away and I know it's extremely hard to get into. She's looking at 3-4 hour commute- we live on Long Island.
__________________
Joanne
MUFFYCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: