Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes! View Post
Anyone out there know anything about Drexel? Or American University?

If you're getting a lot of glossy brochures, you can check and see if your kids' counselors need any extras...sometimes what they have on file is waaaay out of date .

So...Drexel or AU anyone?

agnes!
My ds graduated from AU and we all LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!
The campus is in a really nice area in D.C. - In fact many of the Ambassadors residences are right down the street and the kids used to go trick or treating there.

There are some really good programs there and ds had no trouble graduating in four years.

We can't say enough good things about AU!

My nephew graduated from Drexel and while he liked it just fine we felt that there was a lot less school spirit there as the campus is spread out in the city and not a regular campus.

Good luck in choosing!

DH and I really miss going down for Parents Weekends - they always were done really well.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeafl View Post
I would love some input on Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Marquette, University of Iowa and Valparaiso. My son is currently trying to decide between these. He got accepted at all of them, but is still waiting on the financial packages from a couple of them before making his final decision.

On the other hand, I know lots about Augustana since my daughter is a senior there. So if anyone needs info about that, I'm your girl!
I remember this thread about Purdue:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....due+university

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

Quote:
I would love some input on Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Marquette, University of Iowa and Valparaiso. My son is currently trying to decide between these. He got accepted at all of them, but is still waiting on the financial packages from a couple of them before making his final decision.
Purdue -- the only thing I can offer is an observation from my brother, who is a mechanical engineering grad from Purdue. He currently is a consultant, and goes to many college campuses to meet with their engineering departments. He doesn't feel that the Purdue engineering program is very good -- says it doesn't work toward real-world experience, and that the director of the program told him that what they actually do is prepare the students to go on to grad school rather than to get an actual job after a 4-yr education. We looked at Purdue for acoustic engineering -- one of the few programs in the country -- and were very impressed. For ME, though, my brother recommeded U of Colorado Boulder.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #19
sharbear
DIS Veteran

We have visited Purdue and Carneige Mellon. I'm suspecting that your S is looking at engineering?

Had a bad weather visits at both places which probably ruled both of them out which is not fair at all. Of the places you've mentioned, these two have the best reputation in engineering by far. The other two, I don't know there rep's but I would expect that they are good regional u's. I know Iowa has some really good programs and are respected in the midwest. If he wants to get a job somewhere else, Pudue and CMU have national and international name recognition.

Purdue is in a small town which is dominated by the campus. All red brick building. Thought that they engineering department was very competitive. It seems like you take your core classes Freshman year and then apply for your major. Not everyone is able to major in what they want and some disciplines are hard to get into. They only took the top 50% in their co-op program. But if your S is a very good student he could really thrive here. It wasn't the right fit for our S.

CMU is very techy, very diverse, lots of internationals from what we saw. It's big. I am sure it's very competitive. My D is at a school comparable to CMU and it's very, very competitive. The kids there are so smart and so capable. It's very hard for her, she works very very hard to stay in the middle of her class.

Oddly the thing my D did not like at CMU was the food plan. It was very odd and it seemed to have a strange system of dorms and food. Don't ask, sometimes a school goes off the list for the strangest things. She wanted a school with more of a social scene and thought that CMU might be a bit more techy than she wanted at the time. Also we heard from sources that financial aid was not as good as some of the other places she applied to. If she was to go to a private university, she needed a good financial aid package.
sharbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #20
AshleyW
Can't wait to go back!
A fish pedicure would be like my own personal hell!

Quote:

On the other hand, I know lots about Augustana since my daughter is a senior there. So if anyone needs info about that, I'm your girl!
I went to the U of I for a while and lived in the dorms my first year and I loved it! I' ve always lived within 25 minutes of campus so I was already familiar with it, but its a beautiful campus and so easy to get around. The school has tons of opportunities and there is always something to be involved with. I was also a little surprised at the diversity there, having grown up in iowa.. they get a lot of international students, especially from China and Kenya.

Iowa City is also a really great small-ish town, lots of fun stuff to do.. and lots of bars.

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

AshleyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

my son has gotten accepted at several ohio schools then got a brain storm about Arizona State for their business program....2 time zones away! I am having a hard time with this as it is only a recent interest....seems too spontaneous to me. anything you can tell me about ASU to help me see things his way. I

don't mind him going away. I don't mind him going several hours away, but this means every visit is a plane ride. Is their business program that more outstanding than anything on this side of the US? i am trying to be open minded but also practical.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by j's m View Post
My DS is a junior and took the PSAT last year and this year. Since he did better this year, our mail and e-mails this year are for different schools. The paper is staggering, our mail person must hate us. It doesn't help I'm POA for DM and DMIL and get tons of mail for them too.

He's received from Carleton College and University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. We've decided it's a no because too far and too cold. But can you tell me anything about them and why they want him? He's looking for accounting/business/economics and then a law degree.

It is so hard to decide, there's too many choices and too little merit aid around here.
Carleton is a very good feeder program for law schools. It is very highly regarded. It is an Ivy Caliber school. Acceptance rates are probably a bit higher then most Ivy's because it isn't as well known and they don't get as many applicants. It's expensive $50K range. It's in a smaller town, BEAUTIFUL campus. Also a good feeder school for medical school.

U of MN is the largest Big 10, one of the largest State Universities (maybe the largest even) at about 45,000 students. It's a good school, not overly great but the Carleton Business School is well regarded as is the Law School. They have a pretty good Technical program (engineering, etc. too). Most kids in our area apply as their safety school. Football team isn't very good, hockey is great ,

Quote:

A friend's son is a Junior at Purdue and loves it. He stared in the pharmacy program but has since switched to biology. His parents aren't sure what exactly he will do with a degree in Biology but.... He is pretty much on a full ride there through various scholarships. It is a little remote for getting places out of state if you will need flights, etc.

Which Augustana?--I am assuming not the one in South Dakota.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

[QUOTE=golfgal;40073907]

U of MN is the largest Big 10, one of the largest State Universities (maybe the largest even) at about 45,000 students. It's a good school, not overly great but the Carleton Business School is well regarded as is the Law School. They have a pretty good Technical program (engineering, etc. too). Most kids in our area apply as their safety school. Football team isn't very good, hockey is great ,
QUOTE]

Isn't Ohio State University still in the Big 10 and still the largest university in the United States?
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

[QUOTE=tar heel;40073989]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

QUOTE]

Isn't Ohio State University still in the Big 10 and still the largest university in the United States?
Yes, you are right-Ohio State is 2nd largest overall, U of MN is 4th, so 1 and 2 in the Big 10 (which will have 12 teams next year ).
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #25
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

agnes!
I earned my Master of Public Administration at American University. I did not have many interactions with undergraduates. AU has several "big names" in the fields of public administration, policy, and political science, but the top professors usually do not work closely with undergraduates. The facilities are good and many of the buildings have been renovated to include the latest technology. From reading the student newspaper, I gathered that AU undergraduates do not have as strong a sense of school spirit as the administration would like. The student body tends to be worldly, with many international students---especially from the Middle East---and many students pursuing international work and study.

I'm now an HR director for a DC nonprofit and among local private universities, AU students tend to have the strongest resumes right out of college. We have hired several interns from AU and they have exceeded our expectations.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
dejr_8
DIS Veteran
PhD - Who wants Pizza?
Pretty far out is a relative term

Beyond the name recognition of the school some additional things to consider are:

What is the career path? - Some "no-name" schools may actually have an outstanding record of preparing students for Med or Law school.

What is the degree? - Some well-known schools can actually have some pretty poor academic departments.

I'd rather be approximately correct than absolutely wrong.
Ick and Yuck
Russell Hantz: Sole Survivor and Winner of Survivor Samoa
SHEEPLE: my new favorite word.
dejr_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you're getting a lot of glossy brochures, you can check and see if your kids' counselors need any extras...sometimes what they have on file is waaaay out of date .

So...Drexel or AU anyone?

agnes!
I got both of my degrees (B.A. in Communications, M.A. in Political Science) from AU. Let me know if you have any questions.

Incidentally, it had been my last choice school. Once I was accepted, we went to visit and I fell in love with it. I loved the campus and the fact that it was a campus in a city. The opportunities afforded me (internships, etc.) were priceless.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
j's m
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Carleton is a very good feeder program for law schools. It is very highly regarded. It is an Ivy Caliber school. Acceptance rates are probably a bit higher then most Ivy's because it isn't as well known and they don't get as many applicants. It's expensive $50K range. It's in a smaller town, BEAUTIFUL campus. Also a good feeder school for medical school.

U of MN is out, way too big. Carleton sounds interesting other than the plane ride which is over 700 weekday round trip. I wonder how much extra for holidays?

50,000 and up seems like the norm around here for the better schools. Princeton is 52,180. I can't imagine what the price will be by the time he graduates.
j's m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #29
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsoccermom View Post
I got both of my degrees (B.A. in Communications, M.A. in Political Science) from AU. Let me know if you have any questions.

Incidentally, it had been my last choice school. Once I was accepted, we went to visit and I fell in love with it. I loved the campus and the fact that it was a campus in a city. The opportunities afforded me (internships, etc.) were priceless.
So true about the internships!

Also ds got his undergraduate degree in poitical science from AU and had no problem getting accepted at several law schools.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #30
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

For a list of resources that's more comprehensive than random individual impressions about schools, see http://www.library.illinois.edu/edx/...s/rankgen.html
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: