Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #256
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugnmama View Post
ok I have read the entire thread (great info ) but I still don't know whAT a fish extender is. We are booking our first cruise and I have heard the term come up a lot on here but I still don't know what it is ?
On the Wonder and Magic, outside your stateroom door, there is a message clip in the shape of a fish. If the crew needs to leave something for you, this is where they leave it. (On the Dream they are seahorse shaped.) DIS cruisers have developed a game of leaving small presents for each other, but the fish clip is not conducive to this type of thing, so a fish extender was developed. The fish extender is a fabric hanging pocket system personalized with specific Disney favorites or cruisers' names. Picture a wooden dowel with ribbon for hanging the dowel, from the fish or seahorse clip, parallel to the floor. From the dowel extends a piece of fabric (with interfacing to make it sturdier) onto which pockets are fused/sewn. DISers leave the small gifts in the pockets. How many gifts and how often they're left are things folks in each FE group decide together. Sometimes it is just left up to your own discretion. We've been in groups where the gifts centered on things from your home town, homemade items, silly bandz, pirate items, candy, tissues, Shout wipes, emergency kits, koozies, embroidered items, Disney gifts, etc... It is a lot of fun to participate!

tikimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #257
Snowwhitebelle
Fantasy Oct 2013, Magic Oct 2014, as a B2B2B2B

I LOVE all these ideas

thank you so much for sharing them
Snowwhitebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #258
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Sooo wonderful!! I just enjoyed reading the entire thread and took lots of notes.

I agree with those who mentioned becoming active on your particular cruise thread and participating with the activities they may decide to do as a group. On our last cruise, we had 100 people for an excursion and about 60 on another. Such fun and wonderful memories with folks we hope to cruise with again. Even had a meet for dinner and a drink at the port the night before. We had 3 groups for FE since there were so many of us. Several of us were in all 3 groups so as not to miss ALL the fun.

Don't forget to check out Cove Cafe late afternoon when wine is available. DH and I met up with another Dis couple and shared a glass of wine along with the free offerings of cheese, olives and crackers. Great way to relax before getting ready for our late dinner seating.

Last edited by sssteele; 02-21-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: oops
sssteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #259
dovbniak
Mouseketeer

A little while ago someone posted on this thread that you can make coke floats.

Great idea!

I also like them with root beer.

Tip: If you are going to try one and have never made one before, put the coke or root beer in first and then the vanilla ice cream.

If you put ice cream in a glass and then add the soda, you might end up with froth all over yourself.
dovbniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #260
Disney Magic Girl
Mouseketeer

Exclamation

Can anyone tell me more about the "hidden mickey challenge?" I would really like to know!! We love searching for hidden mickeys and this sounds just perfect! ...Even though I have no clue what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JV3j6AEpc
Disney Magic Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #261
tiggerb
Mouseketeer

My mind i s swirling w/ ideas right now... as for "Thank You" treats for the CM... how about gum since that is a "RARE" (ok, no where to be found) commodity anywhere in the parks, much less the ships. I'm sure some of them miss this item

Avid gum chewer... love my Orbits bubblemint gum . Kills two birds w/ one stone... heartburn (yes, chewing gum cures it, plus mint is a coolant for it) and the need for gum.

Love the photo ABC challenge, may be using it for us...
tiggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #262
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Magic Girl View Post
Can anyone tell me more about the "hidden mickey challenge?" I would really like to know!! We love searching for hidden mickeys and this sounds just perfect! ...Even though I have no clue what it is!
We went to the Guest Services desk and asked for the Hidden Mickey list. They had to hunt for it themselves, but said they were able to get it from the kids club CM's. So I'd check with either the kids club or Guest Services.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM   #263
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Secret Mickey

On my upcoming cruise, we are trying to put together our SM group. HELP! I need ideas for what kind of things to give. And if there is 1 person organizing it, will that person know who their SM is? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #264
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
On my upcoming cruise, we are trying to put together our SM group. HELP! I need ideas for what kind of things to give. And if there is 1 person organizing it, will that person know who their SM is? Thanks.
Just curious why you're choosing SM over FE?

tikimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #265
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimimi View Post
Just curious why you're choosing SM over FE?
One doesn't have to cancel out the other. We actually had both on a cruise and folks would just sign up to whatever they felt like. Most did the FE and a smaller group did both FE and SM. Nobody decided to do SM but no FE.

Susie; if you use the simple "assigning" of Secret Mickeys then yes you'ld know your SM if you'ld be organizing things. You could also use online features especially designed for secret santas and people not living together. It's basically like drawing papers with names on them, but you just do it online. Nobody knows anything.

On formentioned cruise, I organized the SM. I decided to go with the "assigning" way. I'ld rather spoil myself out of not knowing my SM than make it more difficult on the others. You see, we had more info gathered that needed to be exchanged. Like likings, allergies, personal info and more so a SM could have somewhere to begin thinking about the gift(s) for said cabin (we did it per cabin). As a group we didn't want that info laying around and ended up going with me "assigning" and then forwarding that info to only the SM. It actually turned out easier this way as I could help trouble shoot for some little problems that occured onboard. If I hadn't known all of the combinations of who's whose SM, it would've needed some ruining surprises to smooth over that little bump.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #266
nlginny
Mouseketeer

We have 218 days left until we cruise the dream. I LOVE this thread! Thank you so much for the little tips.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #267
Queen of Oakville
Mouseketeer

So here's a silly question, that probably does not belong on this thread, but i'll ask any way

I've noticed that signatures (plate picture posted above) are almost identical to the onces I got at the world. Are the characters taught how to sign?

Also, for the pillowcases/place mats/plates etc. .... does one person sign all the signatures or is each character siging? The reason I ask, is if you are going to put in, say a box of candy .... who gets it? The person at GS or the first person to sign ...?

Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Queen of Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #268
Erickson99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
So here's a silly question, that probably does not belong on this thread, but i'll ask any way

I've noticed that signatures (plate picture posted above) are almost identical to the onces I got at the world. Are the characters taught how to sign?
My guess is that this is part of the Disney consistency thing and yes they probably would have to learn the "right" way to do a signature.

We are heading BACK to the Western Caribbean on the Fantasy on 2/16/2013!!!
We set sail on the Disney Magic on 4/16/2011 to the Western Caribbean!! Cabin #7052
Our favorite CM's were: Raymund (cabin), Jose & Marco (our Server/Asst Server), Sylvester (Palo) and the entire Kids Club Staff!!!

Erickson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #269
pollyanna1022
Earning My Ears

Love this thread!

Thanks so much for all the great ideas-- keep 'em coming pelase! I'm making a list for our cruise. Cannot wait for our cruise next month!!
pollyanna1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #270
tastefullyjenn
Mouseketeer

mY niece was "friends" with Cinderella, Snow White and Mary Poppins and in the beginning Pluto--YES they are trained in many things and signature is one of them!
tastefullyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: