Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #31
Pooh&OurHunny
DIS Veteran

joining in...great start and can't wait for more yummy reviews...

Grand Floridian (son 1st Disney Trip) May & October2007
Swan Feb 2008
AKL May 2008
Swan & CSR December 2010
Pooh&OurHunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #32
scootert
DIS Veteran

subscribing.....
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #33
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

Subscribing! Can't wait to read more!!

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!
disneydreaminA115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #34
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

subbing! So sad you didn't have a great meal at AP- that was my last signature restaurant to try, and I really felt like I saved the best for last- that salmon is TDF, I hope you go back and try it (and the mussels...OMG, they are amazing!!!).
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #35
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Booze Time!

After our breakfast in the ASMu food court, we headed over to Epcot. We spent the morning in FW before heading over to the WS for some imbibing at La Cava del Tequila, a charming little tequila bar tucked in to the Mexico pavilion.

We had gone on our last trip and loved the place. This time would be even better because we had a mini DIS Meet with a lady I met on a thread from the community board, Robin.

Mark and I went a bit early and were able to snag a table, which is sometimes quite difficult to do since La Cava has such limited seating.

In La Cava, you seat yourself and a server will come to you. We didn't have to wait long before friendly little Maria greeted us.

I had been thinking about what kind of margarita I wanted to have well before our trip. La Cava (or 'The Ditch' as it's sometimes known), has amazing specialty margaritas. They are really creative and interesting - like the one I had last year, the Pepino - El Mayor Blanco Tequila, Triple Sec liquor, caramelized pineapple juice, cucumber and agave nectar syrup,served on the rocks with a cactus-lemongrass salt rim.

For this visit, I went with the featured special, a Pomegranate Margarita - El Mayor Blanco Tequila, pomegranate liquor, pineapple juice, lime juice, and agave nectar served on the rocks with a Hibiscus Himalayan salt rim.

This was a great margarita but it was just too sweet for me that day. I guess for some reason I wasn't expecting it to be so sweet, but it was. I still liked it and drank the whole thing (couldn't let good tequila go to waste now could I?), but I would not order it again. Next time I think I'll go with the Blood Orange.

While I had my margarita, Mark drank a Patron Café, a tequila-based coffee liquor, which I seemed to have missed getting a photo of. I don't like to drink straight liquor, but this smelled amazing and Mark enjoyed it.

The appetizers in La Cava are quite good as well, so since it was lunch time, I had an order of Tostadas de Jaiba - seasoned blue crab meat tostadas, with chipotle mayo and Valentina sauce.

These were very good. There was lots of real crab meat and it tasted great with the spicy sauces. I think I prefer the chicken version though (Tostadas De Tinga - roasted tomato and chipotle pulled chicken tostadas, with avocado, black refried beans, Valentina sauce, topped with queso fresco and sour cream).

While I was eating my tostadas, Mark finished his drink and decided to go for a shot of tequila. He asked Maria for a Patron Silver, but she suggested he try something more unique and recommended the Partida Blanco tequila instead. Mark wisely took her advice and had a shot of it:

The shots at The Ditch are served in the authentic Mexican style with sangrita, a spicy juice chaser. Mark liked the Partida a lot and agreed with Maria, it was better than Patron Silver.

Another lovely visit to La Cava! I highly recommend stopping in if you can can find a seat. It's a nice rest in the AC with great drinks and food!

Grade: A
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #36
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Ooh just caught up with your wonderful reviews

We have an ADR at AP for our next trip but I have already decided I want the Salmon

I can't wait to try La Cava for the fist time

Looking forward to reading more
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #37
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Ahhhhh, the Ditch! LOVE that little place and those crab tostadas!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #38
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far! Your tostadas at La Cava look great! And I agree with you, I would have been disappointed if that Pomegranate Margarita was too sweet...when I was reading the description it didn't sound like it would be! Can't wait to read more
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #39
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

I love that ditch!! Best attraction in WDW!! FWIW, the blood orange rita is another very sweet one- ask the bartender, sometimes they will give you a little sample if they are making it for someone else, so you can try before you buy. The jalepeno, cucumber, habanero, and avocado are the savory ones, I think.
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #40
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Great review of 'the ditch'! May have to check it out on our trip
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #41
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Foodcourt breakfast! Tell me about it!

I am so with you on the "Bounty Platter". Tried it ......... no thanks!
But if they have to make something fresh it is quite good - we had waffles at the Pop foodcourt and they were pretty good!
Never tried an omlette, but I have made a note that it is something to seriously consider at the food court!
I always want waffles the night before, but when I get up in the morning I end up wanting something with protein. You need a lot of fuel for Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
In response to your question: I had the pork loin something or another....it wasn't that great. What was even worse was the bland, no flavor barley side dish.... I would order anything but that again!

Anyway....looking forward to more of your review!
Sorry the pork wasn't good either. AP seems to get mixed reviews.
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Great start! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh&OurHunny View Post
joining in...great start and can't wait for more yummy reviews...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootert View Post
subscribing.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreaminA115 View Post
Subscribing! Can't wait to read more!!
Thank you for reading everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
subbing! So sad you didn't have a great meal at AP- that was my last signature restaurant to try, and I really felt like I saved the best for last- that salmon is TDF, I hope you go back and try it (and the mussels...OMG, they are amazing!!!).
I do want to try AP again, and I'm definitely getting the salmon next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Ooh just caught up with your wonderful reviews

We have an ADR at AP for our next trip but I have already decided I want the Salmon

I can't wait to try La Cava for the fist time

Looking forward to reading more
Probably a smart choice on the salmon.
La Cava is amazing, I just love it in there. You'll be hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Ahhhhh, the Ditch! LOVE that little place and those crab tostadas!
Don't all the friendies love The Ditch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Great reviews so far! Your tostadas at La Cava look great! And I agree with you, I would have been disappointed if that Pomegranate Margarita was too sweet...when I was reading the description it didn't sound like it would be! Can't wait to read more
I like sweet drinks, but I prefer my margaritas on the not too saccharine side. I would definitely go with the Pepino (cucumber) for a less sweet choice.
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I love that ditch!! Best attraction in WDW!! FWIW, the blood orange rita is another very sweet one- ask the bartender, sometimes they will give you a little sample if they are making it for someone else, so you can try before you buy. The jalepeno, cucumber, habanero, and avocado are the savory ones, I think.
Oh what a good idea about asking for a sample!
I heard the avocado is sweet now - they added Midori to it and made it a frozen margarita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Great review of 'the ditch'! May have to check it out on our trip
Thanks! You should DEFINITELY make some time to check out The Ditch! It's a not-to-be-missed 'attraction'!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #42
cbg1027

Bring Me Some CARAMEL!

After our drinks and my light lunch, we decided to head over to the Germany Pavilion for some treats with lots of butter and sugar - aka CARAMEL!

I had heard many good things about the new Karamell Kuche (Caramel Kitchen) and couldn't wait to try it!

The place is somewhat small so there seems to always been a line out the door. Even though the crowds were light that day, there was still a long line. I didn't mind though because it gave us lots of time to drool over the selection of treats and decide what we wanted! You can also watch them making some of the treats. The easiest thing to watch being made is the fresh caramel corn, which smells absolutely intoxicating!

When we finally got to the front of line, we placed our order and came out of the Karamell Kuche with significantly lighter wallets.

For our first indulgence, Mark and I shared a large bag of Caramel Corn:

We watched as this was made so it was still hot and super fresh. I will never eat a Cracker Jack again! This was AMAZING! Light fluffy popcorn coated with super buttery, still slightly soft and warm caramel...what's not to love? If you go to buy some of this, wait until they make a fresh batch before you get any...it is a wonderful food experience!

Mark also went for a Dark Chocolate and Caramel Coated Strawberry:

This looked amazing as well, but I didn't get to try it. The berry was huge, ripe, and fragrant. Mark thought it was excellent.

We got a couple more treats we ate later too!
Dark Chocolate and Caramel Coated Apple

This was my pick. I love a caramel apple...but throw on an extra coating of dark chocolate? Oh my..... This looked prettier when it was in the case, but they cut it for me so I could eat it without too much trouble. The apple was a crisp and tart green variety which went really well with the sweet, buttery, and chocolate flavors around it. I ate a quarter for a snack over the next few days and even though the apple turned a bit brown, it was super delicious!

Mark got a Dark Chocolate and Caramel Coated Marshmallow Kabob:

I didn't taste this since I don't like Marshmallow, but Mark enjoyed it.

Karamell Kuche is a DO NOT MISS 'attraction' while you're in Epcot!

An enthusiastic grade A+!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #43
phabric
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed reading your reviews with the pictures.
phabric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #44
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Yeah...Karamell Kuche snacks!! Have seen many pics and every time they make me hungry! That chocolate covered strawberry looks lush and as it includes fruit it's still healthy, right?
TanzUnited99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #45
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by phabric View Post
I enjoyed reading your reviews with the pictures.
Thank you for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
Yeah...Karamell Kuche snacks!! Have seen many pics and every time they make me hungry! That chocolate covered strawberry looks lush and as it includes fruit it's still healthy, right?
Hey, as far as I'm concerned, it's completely healthy. A strawberry gives you some fruit and dark chocolate has lots of antioxidants.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: