Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #391
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

You get the BEST pics of your family!!! They just LIGHT UP in front of the camera!!!

Love the braids on Sarah- so funny she fell asleep!!

So the frienship rocks thing was new last time? We were the cruise after you in '08, so I guess we were the first show? Timmy got a teal shirt- but he wouldn't perform. Which is VERY un-Tim like, he loves to be on stage and was really excited about it before we went on our first cruise. But in dress rehearsal, some CM scared the crap out of him saying not to touch something on the stage or it would kill him or something....and being 9, he took it literally and wouldn't go back on the stage. When all the kids came out for the show is when we found out about Tim not participating- he was back in the cabin! I was soooo sad!!

Your family looks great in their dress-up clothes- Brendan, too!

Whata shame about the size of the tails....we had big ones, we were pretty impressed by ours.

And that dessert...mmmmmmm....I think it reminded me of pudding skin- something about the consistency of it...it was sooooooooooooo good!!

Oh, and DREA- at paying the CMs to pack for you when you win the lotto- ROTFLMAO!!!!
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #392
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Don't know why, but I never saw your updates - Bad DISfriend!
LOL! It's OK, I don't always get the email notifications and sometimes I get behind too!

Quote:
I'm up to the Beer tasting - Looks like you're having a great time - can't believe all the work you went to - Lanyard lady AND TOT Queen! You are so sweet!
Aw thanks, it was wonderful and a whole lot of fun!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'll ave to think of something creative since we are not on a holiday cruise next time. Hmmm....

Quote:
Your KW day sounds like our quest to get to DTD from AK one time I'll be back to read - Happy Valentine's Day!!!
LOL! Thanks Tammie, hope you and Jim had a wonderful V day too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingis2me View Post
You know it's really not fair that Shutters takes photos like this. How am I supposed to stay within our photo budget? :

Another great update!

Ron
So you freely admit here for all to see that it's not just ME buying out Shutters...!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundasDad View Post
Wow - the Shutters pics are fabulous! (of course the subject matter(s) are pretty darn cute too ...)
Aww thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
[COLOR="red"]OH CANT WAIT FOR THIS!????!!
LOL, the HM list, I do have it and it was very comprehensive for the Magic. As far as the dream goes....that would be a big undertaking! that thing has so many HM's onboard it makes my eyes cross! Love it!

The funny thing about the ship with the Mickey sunset background...If you look closely when there is nobody in front of it you can tell the photo of the ship was "flipped" horizontally. Look at the "Wonder" on the side...LOL! You can see it in the pic with just the kids!

ITA about the graduation hats- those are the BEST! I have several of them around, if B has a 5th grade graduation ceremony this year I will be sure to remind him he can wear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
You get the BEST pics of your family!!! They just LIGHT UP in front of the camera!!!
Awww...thanks hun!

Quote:
Love the braids on Sarah- so funny she fell asleep!!
SO not what I was expecting. Ron and I just stood there looking at each other thinking "Really?!?!?"

Quote:
So the frienship rocks thing was new last time? We were the cruise after you in '08, so I guess we were the first show? Timmy got a teal shirt- but he wouldn't perform. Which is VERY un-Tim like, he loves to be on stage and was really excited about it before we went on our first cruise. But in dress rehearsal, some CM scared the crap out of him saying not to touch something on the stage or it would kill him or something....and being 9, he took it literally and wouldn't go back on the stage. When all the kids came out for the show is when we found out about Tim not participating- he was back in the cabin! I was soooo sad!!
Yep we had one of the very last DSeaU's in '08. This story is very fresh in my mind because I was bored recently and wanted something good to read so I reread your old trippy. I agree that is very un-Timmy like, but heck I don't blame him a bit! Getting told that would freak me out too! Such a shame that had to happen.

Quote:
Your family looks great in their dress-up clothes- Brendan, too!

Whata shame about the size of the tails....we had big ones, we were pretty impressed by ours.
Yeah, under normal circumstances he wouldn't have hesitated to ask for a second one, but Sarah was just ballistic by then. The lobster tasted delicious though (so the boys said. I've never been huge on lobster but I wish I had ordered it too, or at least chicken strips..ha!)

Quote:
And that dessert...mmmmmmm....I think it reminded me of pudding skin- something about the consistency of it...it was sooooooooooooo good!!
Oh so I'm not the only pudding skin conosseiur? I don't make pudding too often but when I do (and I'm not making it from scratch where I can jack up the chocolate content) it has to be the cook & serve so it gets a nice thick SKIN! I think I may have been the pudding skin bandit back in the day, ask Ron if he ever came home to scraped pudding cups in the fridge. LOL!

Quote:
Oh, and DREA- at paying the CMs to pack for you when you win the lotto- ROTFLMAO!!!!
Oh I am so there with you, D! I am totally surprised they don't offer this service to the concierge in the Walt & Roy at least. My Aunt & Uncle one were on a RCCL cruise in one of their top of the line suites and they had a butler that would do that sort of thing.

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #393
nenner1

Taking the Plunge!

Somehow we have found ourselves on the last full day of the cruise!!

Friday dawned partly cloudy and significantly cooler than when were last in the vicinity of Florida on the previous Sunday. As per our routine, Ron and the older kids were up first and headed down to breakfast, bringing back a tray for me and Sarah. When they awoke we were still on approach to Castaway Cay:

We weren’t really in a hurry to get onshore, but we still managed to disembark obviously fairly early. The cool winds were really cranking up, you can tell in thie picture how windy it was, and there was a briskness in the air, less humidity for sure.

We have a bunch of pics like this but who was to know this would be among the last?

As we left the ship there were towels being provided, but instead of a big bin to grab out of for yourself, there were CM’s counting out the numbers in your party and handing a strict one towel per person. We aren’t greedy or anything but we do like to have one or two extra, for instance one to fold up and use as a pillow while you lay on another in a lounge chair, and to just always have at least one dry one. I think because Ron took from the CM on the left and I took from the lady on the right, we managed to get one extra.

Things have changed substantially at Castway Cay since our last visit. The expansions to the island to better accommodate the Dream and Fantasy’s increased passenger loads were now complete and fully operational!

These expansions included a whole new family beach area (past the Heads Up bar where the Teen Beach used to be), the Pelican Plunge waterslides and water play platform, Spring-A-Leak kids splash zone, the private beach cabanas, and a second lunch buffet pavilion Cookies Too, among the new offerings.

I had thought a lot about how and where to set up on the beach. We had decided that most folks would flock to the new family beach area, given its’ proximity to Pelican Plunge (and we were right). So our plan was instead to stay to the far end of the old family beach, near the Heads Up bar, but still close to the new beach and Pelican Plunge. So we hopped a tram and headed for the Pelican Point Tram Stop.

The tram had even changed up it’s stop order, instead of the closer Scuttle’s Cove stop first, it went directly to Pelican Point, much to the delight of all of the passengers who were heading to that part of the beach.

As soon as we disembarked the tram, we grabbed a wagon. These are so great, not only will they tote around your crazy kid for you, also all of your towels and stuff. They are free for your use and are available near where the tram empties out!

The first stop was at the new gift shop near the expansion beach, aptly called “Buy the Seashore”. I needed to get more batteries for my larger camera. After doing that, we headed right off into the expansion area to check it out. When we saw it we threw away all of that research and decided since there were still plenty of good spots here to just snag one, and we did get a convenient spot on the end by the pathways right by Pelican Plunge.

Our first spot (the orange umbrella right behind the family you see in this picture)

The problem was, this area of beach isn’t too pretty. It is just an expanse of sand, not many palms or foliage. It seemed flat, exposed, and well… barren and got VERY crowded VERY quick. Ron decided we made a mistake by not going with our pre-determined plan , and on his own he went over to the other side- the original family beach and scoped out a great spot, even with a hammock. Problem was I didn’t realize he was doing this, and he couldn’t leave the spot or else it would get claimed. The kids were off running around so unfortunately he ended up leaving the spot to find me and tell me, and sure enough we did lose it. But we spotted another one we liked, the only problem was it didn’t have an umbrella. It did have a palm tree though and seemed shady enough (it wasn’t a very sunny day anyway)

There’s an old Buffett song with the lyric “Under my lone palm” and that’s what both of us thought about our new nice spot on the very sparsely populated older family beach. It was still right across the path from Pelican Plunge and right next to restrooms, and of course just steps from the Heads Up bar. I totally recommend going to this area if you want to be so close but yet so far from all the activity.

This was our closest neighbor:

Our very own private crab race!

We spent a little time relaxing on the beach. The water seemed SO cold at first. We had a front row seat for a wedding taking place on the beach. It looked very beautiful, I wish we had realized there were options like this when we got married way back when.

We wanted to go check out the new kids’ water splash area Spring-A-Leak before it got too busy. So after buying Sarah a red castle sand pail (yeah we’re suckers) we took her over to S-A-L. She absolutely LOVED it!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #394
nenner1

Taking the Plunge! (Part 2)

We didn’t spend too long at S-A-L, just long enough to get a little taste. The big kids were on Pelican Plunge, over..and over again! They loved it, even if the water was extrememly frigid. The line was not too terrible, about 5 minutes wait. It probably got to 10 minutes at worst.

And from one splash area to another. You know what I'm talking about- Pelican Plunge!

There are two slides, you have to be able to swim out to the platform to get to them. The water is not too deep where you swim over, but the area where you get deposited by the slides (depending on the tides) can be very deep. Of the two slides the enclosed tube one is faster and by all accounts more fun, but you have to watch out for that plunge at the end, it can send you flying into the water and the water flying up your nose. Here is a video of Savannah flying out:

(Video: click to play!)

Now it was time for one of Castaway Cay’s must do’s... a Konk Kooler! We headed out to enjoy the sights and tastes of the Heads Up bar!

It's worth the walk out here just for the spectacular views!

Ron got a Konk Kooler, but I was in the mood for something sickeningly, cloyingly sweet so I chose a Raspberry Colava! Yummy!

We saw what looked like some nasty looking clouds moving in from our vantage point out on the boardwalk, so we decided to head in and grab some lunch!

Up next: Ribs to the left, ribs to the right…

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #395
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Actually the line did get pretty bad at Pelican Plunge after awhile. I tried to go back to try the other slide and it was about a half hour wait. So I recommend doing it as early as you can to avoid crowds. Also, if you keep your KTTW card in your pocket you will most likely lose it when you plunge from the slide. Seems obvious, right? Guess who didn't think about that...: me... In case you are wondering, they will not leave you behind on Castaway Cay if you don't have a KTTW card to present to get back on the ship. Darn!

Ron
Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #396
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Awesome update!

Last edited by livingis2me; 02-18-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
livingis2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #397
podsnel

We were sitting not too far away from you- a little more towards the ship. It was soooo crowded on that new beach when we arrived, but it really made the old beach so much better!! I wonder how CC is on the Dream?

I agree on the water slide time with Ron- it got VERY busy, which is right after we arrived- the kids waited about half an hour for their ride. So go early, or go late- late was great, too! And I DEFINITELY got shot outta there like a canon- totally got my clocks cleaned!

Loved all your pelican pics!!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #398
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You know it's really not fair that Shutters takes photos like this. How am I supposed to stay within our photo budget? :

Another great update!

Ron

Awe, so cute. Ron, you are going to have to budget bigger with those pretty girls to take pics of!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #399
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Okay, now I'm up to speed. I'm loving your report, Jen!

Random thoughts:

I like chunky peanut butter better than..Oh! I mean thoughts about your updates!

Sarah's braids are so cute - How cute she fell asleep - must have been relaxing.
Great interaction with Mickey for semi-formal night.
Beautiful pics of the kids! Shutters really does do a great job

Nachi Cocum looks like a great day! After reading your report and Ellen's, I am sure I would love to spend our next Cozumel day there! Could you snorkel there, too?

I love the way your own personal room service brought you Mickey waffles every day! I'm going to see if mine will do that!

Even though your day at CC was a little cooler, looking at the pics is warming me up on this snowy day! Thanks for keeping the updates going!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #400
knewton64
If it is "5 o'clock somewhere," does that mean it can be 5 o'clock anywhere and all the time?

Smile Well.......with 1922 songs on my I-pod -

I finally loaded up the last one (I also have my Disney pics on it as well).

The name of the song??

What else but:

"Video killed the Radio Star"

It was fun reading your tr and look forward to many more fun reading from you and your family.

P.S.

WOW! Love the pics from CC and am impressed w/all the changes out there!!

T.T.F.N.
My "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE N KEY WEST, COZUMEL & G CAYMAN DCL TRIP REPORT; JAN'12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N NEW YORK CITY" TRIP REPORT; SEPT '12 (w/pics & video)http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N SAN FRAN, ROSE BOWL, ROSE BOWL PARADE & COASTAL CALIFORNIA" TRIP REPORT (w/pics & video)- DEC '13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&referrerid=0
MY "ADVENTURES N ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES" TRIP REPORT - August '14 (w/pics & video)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....errerid=208040
MY "ADVENTURES N DISNEYLAND, CATALINA ISLAND & OTHER ASSORTED SO CAL STUFF" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT; CHRISTMAS / NYE 2014
MY "ADVENTURES N WALT DISNEY WORLD & NASSAU BAHAMAS OVeR CHRISTMAS /NYE 2015" PRE-TRIPPY REPORT
knewton64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #401
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

Those white background photos are stunning.

Chocolate lava cake ... yum .... my favourite DCL dessert ( well a tie with the creme brulee )
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #402
nenner1

Quote:
Actually the line did get pretty bad at Pelican Plunge after awhile. I tried to go back to try the other slide and it was about a half hour wait. So I recommend doing it as early as you can to avoid crowds. Also, if you keep your KTTW card in your pocket you will most likely lose it when you plunge from the slide. Seems obvious, right? Guess who didn't think about that...me... In case you are wondering, they will not leave you behind on Castaway Cay if you don't have a KTTW card to present to get back on the ship. Darn!

Ron

Yeah...it was weird when I went mid-day that there was virtually no wait. I guess it was a lunchtime lull I caught!

Quote:
We were sitting not too far away from you- a little more towards the ship. It was soooo crowded on that new beach when we arrived, but it really made the old beach so much better!! I wonder how CC is on the Dream?
Oh ITA, it was so nice to not be basically on top of your neighbors. That's how the new beach was, and the biggest reason we decided to move spots. It was so nice on the old beach. And we almost got a hammock too, sadly someone ran up to it first and dumped all of their stuff in it (and of course walked away. In fact we never saw them actually in it, but we did come and go a lot)

On the Dream, I have a feeling it is going to be just as busy as it used to be on the Magic and Wonder. IDK. And if there were lines that bad for PP on our cruise, wow...they msut get really bad for the Dream when they are sailing at full capacity! I'll be interested to hear how it goes with some of the prime time sold out cruises this spring break and summer!

Quote:
I agree on the water slide time with Ron- it got VERY busy, which is right after we arrived- the kids waited about half an hour for their ride. So go early, or go late- late was great, too! And I DEFINITELY got shot outta there like a canon- totally got my clocks cleaned!

Loved all your pelican pics!!
Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead on the wait times. I got really lucky!

I love the new additions. Don't get me wrong, it was great before but having more stuff for the kids to do is great!! (oh and for us to do too! LOL!!!)

Quote:
Awe, so cute. Ron, you are going to have to budget bigger with those pretty girls to take pics of!
I keep warning him!

Quote:
Okay, now I'm up to speed. I'm loving your report, Jen!

Random thoughts:

I like chunky peanut butter better than..Oh! I mean thoughts about your updates!

[quote]Sarah's braids are so cute - How cute she fell asleep - must have been relaxing.
Great interaction with Mickey for semi-formal night.
Beautiful pics of the kids! Shutters really does do a great job[quote]

They do. Our pics on DCL are WAY better than our pics from RCCL. And they were WAY cheaper too! I totally <3 Shutters!!!

Quote:
Nachi Cocum looks like a great day! After reading your report and Ellen's, I am sure I would love to spend our next Cozumel day there! Could you snorkel there, too?
Yes, it was great!!! You could shore snorkel but honestly there isn't much to look at there (sandy bottom). They do have a little charter at the watersports area that will take you out to Palancar Reef. IIRC it was VERY reasonably priced. IMO it would be worth looking into, we really loved Nachi!

Quote:
I love the way your own personal room service brought you Mickey waffles every day! I'm going to see if mine will do that!
Aw, yes he is better than a butler any day!

Quote:
Even though your day at CC was a little cooler, looking at the pics is warming me up on this snowy day! Thanks for keeping the updates going!
Thanks girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewton64 View Post
I finally loaded up the last one (I also have my Disney pics on it as well).

The name of the song??

What else but:

"Video killed the Radio Star"

It was fun reading your tr and look forward to many more fun reading from you and your family.

P.S.

WOW! Love the pics from CC and am impressed w/all the changes out there!!

T.T.F.N.
Kris, love it! I do get the song stuck in my head when I look at the title...hope it doesn't do that to everyone else!

Yes they did find a way to make the best even better with Castaway Cay! It is really great!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
Those white background photos are stunning.
Thanks Sarah!

Quote:
Chocolate lava cake ... yum .... my favourite DCL dessert ( well a tie with the creme brulee )
oooh creme brulee...yummmmmm!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #403
podsnel

Let's all make a pact- the next time we see some LOSER dump all their stuff in a hammock and run away for the day and never even sit in the hammock, let's help them with their stuff and DUMP IT OUT onto the ground where it belongs. I HATE it when people are that selfish. It is a BIG pet peeve of mine.

Ok. Rant over.

Hey- I'm stuck on level 9. WooHoo!!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #404
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Quote:
Let's all make a pact- the next time we see some LOSER dump all their stuff in a hammock and run away for the day and never even sit in the hammock, let's help them with their stuff and DUMP IT OUT onto the ground where it belongs. I HATE it when people are that selfish. It is a BIG pet peeve of mine.
Totally agree with you on this.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #405
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Quote:
WOW, wonder if the happy couple paid extra to get the dude in the TIGHT RED SHORTS into the pics?

Quote:

Ok. Rant over.

Hey- I'm stuck on level 9. WooHoo!!
Im in!, that urked me too ... along with needing a lounge chair on deck to put all your crap when no one was sitting there. A table ok I can see that but not a lounge chair in the sun where im trying to work on my GTL.. minus the G & L.

Jen your camera takes some awesome ZOOM shots! I could almost see the nose hairs on B while on PP. LOL.

Hmm wonder has anyone read about the new wave phones? Wonder if you take them on CC if they work...idea for someone to try next time they are on a Dis cruise! That way you can keep track of who finds the better spot, lol. Or find the rest of your family when someone goes to find the best CM ever if their KTTW card is lost.. just saying.

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: