Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #181
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,191

Chapter 41 - You're in Morocco

Day 7 - Part 6

First, I promised to give you the Epcot pay phone numbers I jotted down. They are:
  • UK 407-827-9861 (the booth closest to the “road”)
  • Morocco 407-827-9747 (back by Restaurant Marrakesh)
  • Germany 407-827-9662 (at the restrooms near the model railroad)
Let’s see…where’d we leave off last time? Oh yes, Marlene had completed her mission to purchase a beret and we were hanging out in France hoping to catch Serveur Amusant. Well, we waited past the 12:45 time that my pre-trip planning said he was due to perform, but he never showed. Drat. I was a little disappointed, but we needed to move on for a little mission of my own…in Morocco. I needed to find the Fez House and its famous (infamous?) “fountain” in order to get a picture in tribute of DISer Winkers. As an example, here’s a post from Winkers’ last trip report where she took a picture of her husband D.Jay and friend Jordan. D.Jay and Jordan

As we walked to Morocco, I explained to Marlene that I needed her to take a picture of me in front of a particular fountain, and kind of left it at that. We found the Fez house without too much difficulty, but there were already a couple of people in there looking at the tiled walls, so we kind of milled around too. :

They started to take a picture of one another in front of the fountain and I offered to take one of the two of them, partly to be nice, but partly to get them moving along. After the picture was taken, the guy asked, “Do you want me to take one of you two?” I said “sure”, but that wasn’t exactly the pose I had in mind.



Oh my gosh, I can’t believe how hot and sweaty I look in that picture. I look like I’m about to collapse. Did I tell you that it was realllly hot and humid on this trip?


Okay, with the nice and innocent picture out of the way, and our company in the Fez House gone, it was time! I handed my camera off to Marlene and turned to the fountain. She looked through the viewfinder and exclaimed, “DAD!” After her initial shock, she dutifully but reluctantly played along.



If I haven’t already destroyed your opinion of me with that picture, go back and read my title for this chapter about five times fast, and that oughtta do it.

With the relief that comes from a mission accomplished <ahem>, we could now look around Morocco a little bit. I confess, I had no idea there was so much to see back in there. We had always just kind of zipped past Morocco and never explored beyond what touched the “main road” around the lake.

We walked toward the back of the “alley”, toward Restaurant Marrakesh, and saw another pay phone so I entered the number into my phone’s contact list. Then we walked beyond the restaurant and saw another neat mosaic tile design with a photopass photographer standing beside it with nothing to do. She offered to take our picture and we gladly accepted.





Again, we tried to get someone to pick up the phone, but the only taker I got was Marlene doing her “THIS IS SO COOL!” bit.



We looked around the bazaar. So much to see!



Then I looked at the Epcot entertainment times listing I had (remember from my pre-trip report that I shrank these down to nearly microfiche-size and carried them in my wallet) and noticed that we could catch Voices of Liberty at 1:15 if we hurried. So, we booked it over to the American Pavilion and grabbed some floor.







Wow! They were fantastic! While we listened, all I could think was how Judy would love to hear them, so they rocketed to the top of the “must do” list for if/when the rest of the family made it to the World Showcase.



The last song they sang was “You’ll Never Walk Alone” and they featured one of the male singers. Part-way through I thought, “Oooo, Marlene’s camera can take video. I should record some of this.” I got her camera and started shooting. It filmed for about a minute, while the song was building up. Then, just before the guy went into an amazing finale that I didn’t think he had in him, the camera gave me an error message that the memory card was full.


Remember that memory card of Marlene’s that I found a while ago, with some Disney pictures on it, but a lot of pictures of her doing fashion shows in her room and her doorknob and other exciting things. Yeah, it was that memory card.


When we came out of Voices of Liberty, the clouds looked really threatening and we were a long way from the bus stop so we decided to skip a few countries.

Our next stop was China, another country that I hadn’t explored much before this trip. We walked into the Temple of Heaven replica and saw that Mulan was out, greeting park guests. I asked Marlene if she wanted to meet Mulan, but she didn’t. I guess she’s gotten too old for that kind of thing. <sniff>

Of course I took the requisite picture of the ceiling.



Then we walked back to see the terra cotta soldiers.



We especially liked this smiling guy. He must have been the joker of his platoon, singing “Do Wah Diddy” on forced marches and what-not.



“There she was just a-walkin’ down the street, singin’…”

(Good luck getting that out of your head now!)

Marlene liked this guy in a display on the wall and struck his pose.



I said that she needed to look meaner, and it looked like I needed to use the flash, so we tried again. Here’s her mean face.



We couldn’t leave without taking one more picture of the terra cotta soldiers, they’re so cool.



We stepped out of the temple and I took a picture of the scenery.



Uh oh, I see at least one poncho. We’d better get moving to the bus stop or it’s going to be a wet walk.

I really enjoyed spending some time with just Marlene on this particular afternoon, even though the circumstances (Lauren feeling sick) were not what I would have wished for. Although unplanned, I was able to spend some one-on-one time with each child at some point during the trip: James at DHS getting Star Wars autographs, Lauren at DHS and our coconut run to the Polynesian, and now with Marlene in the World Showcase. I’m beginning to realize how quickly the time goes as I watch my children grow, and I hope that when they’re older they’ll look fondly back at moments like these.
....I know I will.


Up next: On safari from our balcony and air conditioned locations
Link to next chapter

Last edited by glennbo123; 02-24-2011 at 11:27 PM.
glennbo123 is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #182
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
 
3prettyprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,307

1 Judy!
__________________
3prettyprincesses is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #183
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
 
3prettyprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,307

OMG Glenn, this update has me rolling! And I get it, the title...you're in Morocco real fast (urine Morocco!) No wonder Marlene looked horrified, I think Disney has some sort of policy about urinating in public areas. I cannot stop laughing!

Apart from you relieving yourself in the fountain, this is such a cute update. It looks like you and Marlene had a wonderful time together and I love that she's wearing the beret she purchased, she's adorable Glenn. Love this pic of you both, minus your sweat stains of course!


What a special time for you and Marlene. And I love what you said about those special one on one moments. So true! I'm sure they'll have great memories of this trip, if they don't, just have them read your TR!
__________________
3prettyprincesses is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #184
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
1 Judy!
Aw, you spoiled my fun...I was hoping to snag somebody who would just post "0" knowing that Judy wasn't with Marlene and me on this afternoon. And I went through all of that photoshopping effort and everything.

Well, good for you -- actually reading (probably scanning) the chapter before you posted!

Congratulations on two in a row!
glennbo123 is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #185
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
 
3prettyprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,307

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Aw, you spoiled my fun...I was hoping to snag somebody who would just post "0" knowing that Judy wasn't with Marlene and me on this afternoon. And I went through all of that photoshopping effort and everything.

Well, good for you -- actually reading (probably scanning) the chapter before you posted!

Congratulations on two in a row!
I can edit it out, so long as I get proper credit for it!
__________________
3prettyprincesses is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #187
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
OMG Glenn, this update has me rolling! And I get it, the title...you're in Morocco real fast (urine Morocco!) No wonder Marlene looked horrified, I think Disney has some sort of policy about urinating in public areas. I cannot stop laughing!
Glad you liked it! See why it took me a little longer to work on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Apart from you relieving yourself in the fountain, this is such a cute update.
I'm glad you qualified that statement Molly, so I know what I need to work on.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
It looks like you and Marlene had a wonderful time together and I love that she's wearing the beret she purchased, she's adorable Glenn. Love this pic of you both, minus your sweat stains of course!
Aw thanks! Oh, and thanks for qualifying that last statement too.

How come Marlene looks fresh as a daisy, I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
What a special time for you and Marlene. And I love what you said about those special one on one moments. So true! I'm sure they'll have great memories of this trip, if they don't, just have them read your TR!
Right now, no one in the family is reading it -- which is a good thing, I think!! They're in for a treat when they find it some time in the future.
glennbo123 is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #188
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,850

I thought that picture by the fountain looked a little suspect and then I realized you were actually going for that look (aka urine Morocco). Poor Marlene!

Great pictures! I never seem to take long enough in Morocco to capture all the great details.

I love the terra cotta soldiers. And I love the Voices. They are so wonderful!

So you mean I get to pick a spot for a DIS meet (like I know any places in PA?) But I do know how to follow a GPS. So I'm thinking spring or early summer maybe?
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #189
marvali
DIS Veteran
 
marvali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 5,349

0 Judy's and one very lame attempt to doctor a picture, which is NOT finding Judy somewhere in the confines of a scene captured by the photograph!

Judy posing - yes! Judy somewhere in the crowd - yes! Reflections of Judy in a glass table top - yes! Judy in a video game - yes! Judy parts somewhere in the edge of a picture - yes!

All of these actually occurred because Judy was present when the picture was taken! Edited into a picture that Judy was nowhere near is NOT finding a Judy!

SHAME on YOU!!!
__________________

AKV - since 2007 DIS Dad's Club Member #174
Me DW DS24 DS21 DS17
Link to 2011 AP Trips: Rides, Slides, Eats & Meets...It's an ANNUAL Pass after all!
Link to Dec 2010 Trip Report: Snow to 80 in 8 days–A spoonful of Holiday Cheer
Link to OKW Trip Report: OKW Trip Report
marvali is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #190
CreightonsMomma
Mouseketeer
 
CreightonsMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anniston, AL
Posts: 394

That was so sweet of you to recognize the importance of spending one on one time with your kids. Your last few lines brought a tear to me eye. They definitely will remember times like this!
__________________
Me - Jen DBF - Mike DS - Creighton (10/31/2009) DS2 - Cooper (07/31/2013)

2011 - March 13th-18th - AKL (Creighton's first trip) Pics ~ June 4th - Day Trip - SWW ~July 9th-11th - Offsite : Oct 12th-15th POP
2012: Feb 28th-Mar 2nd - ASMu
~ May 23rd-25th - SSR
CreightonsMomma is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #191
englishrose47
DIS Veteran
 
englishrose47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara Falls N.Y.
Posts: 27,915

Well I have tooomuch to catch up on to quote !!Loved the Dis Meet report and BUBEES!!!The Traditional Ur in Morocca pix is hilarious !! Credit must be given to the originators Winkers and her boys !!!! Of course Jordan got in on the act with DJay at a later date !!!Unfortunately I can't add it to my reportoire !!!
__________________
April/May 07 Pop Feb 08 Pop May09 POP Sept 09 POP Feb 10 Pop Oct 10 Pop Aug 11 Pop Oct 11Pop Oct 12 Pop Oct 13 &Dec 13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post49995478 Where's my Suitcase ???
A PTR: [
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #192
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
 
brookelizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I’m beginning to realize how quickly the time goes as I watch my children grow, and I hope that when they’re older they’ll look fondly back at moments like these.
....I know I will.
You made me tear up!!!!!

It's so the truth though.

Sigh.

And Henry is only three.

Great update though Glenn. I am certain Marlene will NEVER forget the time her Dad did "the pose" in Morocco!
__________________
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 AM   #193
Millie12591
DIS Veteran
 
Millie12591's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas!
Posts: 3,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Would a Chuy Margarita make it dejavu?

I can figure out way more Spanish than I claim to be able to speak.
I'm thinking you've hit the tail on the donkey!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Camille and I were fortunate enough to have dinner together while I was in Houston in Oct. We ate at Chuy's ( Mexican) and surrounded by all the Spanish influence it came up. I always put the disclaimer out about me not being able to speak Spanish because I look as though I should know how to speak the language. Yet I am spaz and can only fake "spanglish" Knowo whato I meano?
It was actually in San Antonio oeoeoooo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm finally back to respond (work has been awful and my brother is having major surgery tomorrow).
I hope he's feeling better Ms. Kat. Prayers have been coming your brothers and your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Chuck Norris does not get brought into conversations. Chuck Norris breaks into them and beats them into submission.
It's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm always embarrassed to buy them, so I grab some other stuff also and just throw them all on the checkout counter....sunscreen, lawn chair, keyboard condoms.
Sounds like what we gals do when we buy "feminine products," except the women who check us out never blush like the guys do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Sheesh Glenn, your thread is over run with man talk! What is going on here? Chuck Norris and prophylactics??
I just girlied it up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Thank heavens someone's pulling in the estrogen!


This girlie enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The Boys are flexing their muscles with all this BOY TALKAnd Kathy is not ODD she thinks jus like me so that proofs it !!!!
Hey! No Proofing allowed, this is a respectable TR...............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
We especially liked this smiling guy. He must have been the joker of his platoon, singing “Do Wah Diddy” on forced marches and what-not.



“There she was just a-walkin’ down the street, singin’…”

(Good luck getting that out of your head now!)
Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka BOOM!
__________________
Camille~Mom of the greatest kiddos a mom could be blessed with~

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Millie12591 is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #194
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I thought that picture by the fountain looked a little suspect and then I realized you were actually going for that look (aka urine Morocco). Poor Marlene!
Yeah, Winkers' family takes a picture there every trip. Marlene was shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great pictures! I never seem to take long enough in Morocco to capture all the great details.

I love the terra cotta soldiers. And I love the Voices. They are so wonderful!
There are a lot of neat details in Morocco, and I had no idea! World Showcase can be a lot of fun to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So you mean I get to pick a spot for a DIS meet (like I know any places in PA?) But I do know how to follow a GPS. So I'm thinking spring or early summer maybe?
Early spring or summer works for me. We'll keep talkin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvali View Post
0 Judy's and one very lame attempt to doctor a picture, which is NOT finding Judy somewhere in the confines of a scene captured by the photograph!

Judy posing - yes! Judy somewhere in the crowd - yes! Reflections of Judy in a glass table top - yes! Judy in a video game - yes! Judy parts somewhere in the edge of a picture - yes!

All of these actually occurred because Judy was present when the picture was taken! Edited into a picture that Judy was nowhere near is NOT finding a Judy!

SHAME on YOU!!!
This all sounds like a bunch of sour grapes from someone who was just plain too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreightonsMomma View Post
That was so sweet of you to recognize the importance of spending one on one time with your kids. Your last few lines brought a tear to me eye. They definitely will remember times like this!
Thanks. Hopefully it made it up for the low-brow humor that was prevalent earlier in the chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Well I have tooomuch to catch up on to quote !!Loved the Dis Meet report and BUBEES!!!The Traditional Ur in Morocca pix is hilarious !! Credit must be given to the originators Winkers and her boys !!!! Of course Jordan got in on the act with DJay at a later date !!!Unfortunately I can't add it to my reportoire !!!
Oh I know -- credit goes to Winkers! I tried to find the one of all of her boys that she has in her avatar, but the only post I could find had it really small, almost avatar-sized, so I just linked to the post with D.Jay and Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
You made me tear up!!!!!

It's so the truth though.

Sigh.

And Henry is only three.
Aww! I confess I may have had a speck of dust in my eye while writing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Great update though Glenn. I am certain Marlene will NEVER forget the time her Dad did "the pose" in Morocco!
Yeah, probably not. It's a story she can tell her children. And therapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
It was actually in San Antonio oeoeoooo.
Now I'm thinking it's a wonder that Pat found you. Hopefully she didn't have to ask for directions-o from any Spanish speaking people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Sounds like what we gals do when we buy "feminine products," except the women who check us out never blush like the guys do.
That's fine, just don't ask us to buy that stuff for you! Or hold your purse for you in a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
I just girlied it up a bit.




This girlie enough?
Oh brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Hey! No Proofing allowed, this is a respectable TR...............................
We're "respectable"?! Hey thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka Boom! Chucka-lucka-lucka BOOM!
That's a fact, Jack!
glennbo123 is offline  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #195
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy
 
All7OfUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Salem, OR; formerly from Crapistan- Really!!
Posts: 13,089

I love, love, LOVE the Morcco Pav!!! I think I spent nearly a half hour in there last time wandering around. I'll be back later----- after US round number 2.
__________________

All7OfUs is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: