Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Chefs De France

We walked from Hollywood Studios back to Epcot instead of taking the friendship boat. It was a nice enjoyable walk. We made it just in time for our reservation at Chefs De France.

We weren't hungry at that point. When DH and I are very active, we don't eat that much cause we just aren't hungry. When we sit around on computers all day, we eat way too much cause we are starving. I would think it would be the opposite. Anyway, we decide to just get soup and appetizers.

The French onion soup was awesome but I totally made the wrong choice on the appetizer.

Assiette Campagnarde (french pates). OMG, they were awful. DH is trying not to laugh at me while I force down most of the pate. He finally has mercy on me and says "I know you don't like it so quit eating it." My DH knows me too well. I really should just let him start ordering for me. The waiter notices I don't like the pate and offers to take it off the check. I refuse because technically there was nothing wrong with the pate and I don't think it is right not to pay for an item just because I made a wrong choice in ordering.

After dinner, we walked back to our hotel to grab our swimsuits. My sis and her family drove to Florida so they picked us up after their dinner to take us back to their room at the Caribbean Beach so we can see their awesome Pirate Themed room and go swimming with the girls....Hmmm...did you catch that? Yes we pool hopped. We were trying to see how many Disboard "sins" we can commit this trip.

We lasted in the pool for about twenty minutes. It was way too cold for me and DH. The girls could have swam all night but darn it was cold. Disney says the pools are heated but I don't believe it. Actually the water isn't bad. It is the walk from the pool to the lounge chair that is killer.
missj1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #32
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bette View Post
Hi! I just love your trip reports! Your room at the Beach Club is awesome! Jealous!!! Sorry about your camera - what a bummer! But what a sweetie your hubby is! I don't think you and your sis look like twins, but def. sisters. How fun to have her fam with you - very special! Okay, now we want more from you on your trip!!! Please!
Thank you for the compliments.

We are identical twins. We looked exactly alike until about age seven and then we just started looking different. I think our looks have to do with our personalities too because we have completely different personalities. My DH comments a lot that he didn't know twins could be so different.

My nieces are two years apart but the oldest likes to tell people they are twins. It is quite funny because most people just nod and agree when it is obvious there is an age difference.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #33
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=missj1975;39972601]We walked from Hollywood Studios back to Epcot instead of taking the friendship boat. It was a nice enjoyable walk. We made it just in time for our reservation at Chefs De France.

We weren't hungry at that point. When DH and I are very active, we don't eat that much cause we just aren't hungry. When we sit around on computers all day, we eat way too much cause we are starving. I would think it would be the opposite. Anyway, we decide to just get soup and appetizers.

The French onion soup was awesome but I totally made the wrong choice on the appetizer.

Assiette Campagnarde (french pates). OMG, they were awful. DH is trying not to laugh at me while I force down most of the pate. He finally has mercy on me and says "I know you don't like it so quit eating it." My DH knows me too well. I really should just let him start ordering for me.

Hungary or not, there is NO way I could eat that plate of "food"!!! Sounds like something I would do!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #34
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Love is Magical Pin Event

My sis and her family have breakfast at the Beach club. We meet up afterwards and walk to Epcot together. They are driving home today after the pin event. DH and I have been to a pin event before but not Sis or her family. The girls love pin trading so we thought they might enjoy it.

The pin event was nice but the majority of time was spent waiting in line for the pin trading boards. No big deal for me because I have games on my Ipod to keep me entertained. We tried to keep the girls entertained but after a couple of hours they were going bonkers. There were about 450 people at the event and the majority of them were adults. I thought there would be more kids but nope it was mostly adults. The one event DH and I went to had lots of activities for the kids. This event had absolutely none.

Disney did decorate the pavilion very nice.

Pin trading game.

Pin trading game.

The event had special pin merchandise to purchase, pin trading games, a pin trading area, and a dessert buffet in the afternoon.

There was also a silent auction. I really loved the Duffy items so DH gave me a budget and I bid like crazy...well not too crazy cause a silent auction you just write your bid on a sheet of paper but one bidder and I went back and forth until the very end. I won the auction way below the budget so I was so excited. We got the items to the left of the picture: the bear, the six bear pins, and an awesome framed sketch of the original artwork for the bear.

We also met a very nice lady and college aged daughter. They wanted another lot but kept getting outbid. DH was interested in that lot too because (I didn't realize at the time) he wanted one of the items as a Valentine's present for me. He worked out a deal with the lady to buy the item he wanted if she won the lot. She won, DH got the item at a very fair price, and we made two new friends. We exchanged facebook info and look forwarding to seeing them at future events.

Since it is now past Valentine's day, I can share what DH bought (I forgot to take a picture). It is a Beauty and the Beast Crown with six Beauty and the Beast limited edition pins inside. It is hard to describe but think of it like a beautiful jewelry box shaped like a crown. It is awesome and kind of big. I love love love it.

After the event, we headed back to the Beach Club in the rain. Apparently it rained most of the day but since we were inside for the event we never noticed. Sis and her family had left a couple of hours before the event ended to get started on their long drive back to Missouri.

Our silent auction wins were unexpected and big...no room in the luggage. We stopped by the Convention Center shipping center and had the items shipped home. The items were actually waiting for us a week later when we arrived home after vacation with no breakage. yeah.

We then just relaxed in our awesome room for the rest of the night... Ok I didn't relax, I played on the internet. I had to get my fix in cause I knew I would have no internet access for the next four days.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #35
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bette View Post
Hungary or not, there is NO way I could eat that plate of "food"!!! Sounds like something I would do!
LOL, yeah it was pretty awful. I am so bad about ordering something I think I will like but end up hating. I always like what my husband orders so I am just going to start asking him when in doubt.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #36
missj1975
DIS Veteran

The Disney Dream

I am going to post a much detailed report about the Disney Dream later but I just wanted to say a quick summary....The Dream exceeded all of our expectations.

Sometimes reading the disboards can be a bad thing. After reading about the crazyiness of the Maiden voyage, the long lines, poor service, blah blah blah, I was frankly freaking.

None of that happened. Our service for breakfast, lunch, and dinner were awesome. We visited the gifts shops a lot and never waited in line. The Dooney and Burkes did not sell out. I bought a wristlet the last night with no issues. We even managed to buy some of leftover RSP merchandise from the Maiden Voyage.

In all fairness, our cruise was not sold out. I heard that our cruise only had 2700 guests compared to the 4000 on a sold out cruise. Maybe that had something to do with the awesome service.

The only line we ever had to wait in was for character signing. We rode the aquaduck twice, swam in the adult pool alone, and even enjoyed a hot tub alone.

Overall, we had an absolute wonderful cruise. I will share all my pictures and adventures but you might finding it boring because I have nothing bad to report on cast members. I've got a couple of good stories on bad guests but overall our experiences were awesome!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #37
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

Can't wait to hear details from the cruise.

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
missj1975
DIS Veteran

To the Ship...

We had Happy Limo pick us up at the Beach Club at 8:30 am. We decided against the Magical Express transfer because we wanted to board early and heard Magical Express doesn't get to the ship until after 1pm.

Our driver was Carlos and he was very nice...very chatty...but very nice. DH and him talked the whole drive there while I just zoned out.

We arrived early but there were still people who arrived there earlier then us. I can't remember the exact timing but I think we arrived at 9:50 and they started letting guests into the waiting area at 10:00 am.

We were checked in pretty quickly and was given boarding group 4. I just looked at the lady and said "What?" I was like are these assigned randomly or what because we arrived at 11:30 last time and had group 3. She was nice but said they were assigned randomly by the computer. Hmmmm....I don't buy that...I also don't see a reason to arrive before 1pm anymore. We arrived early because we were trying try get Remy and Palo reservations so our travel agent suggested get there as soon as possible. *Sigh* We found out the cruise doesn't make or change reservations until 1pm. We had plenty of time to kill.

Thank goodness for Trivia Pursuit on my Ipod. It seemed like in no time at all we were getting ready to board. I was even recognized by a disboarder while waiting to board. **Waving at Denise**. It was so cool to meet our first disboarder.

We started boarding the ship and handed our cards to the first checkpoint when their computers crashed. We had to stand in line for 10 minutes while they rebooted the system. No biggie but I am sure there were some impatient people waiting to board.

Wow, the ship just seemed so big compared to the Wonder. We loved it!!!

We headed to Cabanas and had a nice lunch. Lots of guests didn't get the whole freestanding-buffet-no-waiting-in-line concept so we did have to stand in line the first day. By the end of the cruise everyone was old pros and the buffet moved a lot smoother.

Shots from Cabanas...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #39
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

Just found your report... signed up to hear the rest of it!!
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Signing on...loving your trip report so far. Needing a Disney fix...will be needing a cruise by 2012...Dreaming!!
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

I'm so glad you started your TR. Sounds like a pretty decent trip so far.
I don't think you and your sister look like twins at all. But do look sisters.
Did you end up getting your camera fixed when you got hone?
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #42
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I'm so glad you started your TR. Sounds like a pretty decent trip so far.
I don't think you and your sister look like twins at all. But do look sisters.
Did you end up getting your camera fixed when you got hone?
Canon is being a pain in the butt. They want us to return the entire camera even though we only need a new battery. DH found a replacement battery with a 1 year warranty for $19.99. After we pay for certified delivery with insurance to Canon, we might as well just buy the new battery ourselves instead of expecting Canon to fulfill their warranty.

I also didn't get my waterproof camera bag in time before we left for the cruise. Ended up being ok because we had High Tide at the adult beach during our Castaway Cay day so I wouldn't have been able to take underwater pictures anyway. I will just try the bag out this summer in a swimming pool.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #43
missj1975
DIS Veteran

Exploring the Dream

During lunch, I constantly checked my watch. We really wanted to book Remy and Palo...reservations started at 1pm in the D Lounge. So at 12:45, I told DH to put the fork down and lets go...ok so maybe I told myself to put the fork down but we grabbed our stuff and bolted out of there.

We found the D Lounge with ten minutes to spare but of course there was already a line, probably about 10 people in front of us. I started talking to the lady in front of me...small world...it turned out to be DisYoda!!! We chatted for a bit but the line moved relatively quickly so in no time at all we were booking our Palo Brunch and Remy reservations.

Just a note: if you plan on booking Remy, make sure your bf, husband, male companion, etc brings a suit jacket and you have nice shoes (not flip flops). We came prepared because we love dressing up on cruises but later in the cruise when we arrived for our Remy reservation, we did see the Remy staff turn away a very unhappy couple because the husband didn't have a jacket. When we made the reservation, they asked us if we had appropriate clothing (not exact words but they were very nice about it).

Since it wasn't quite 1:30 yet we decided to explore the ship. Somehow we ended up around more food...imagine that.

We also checked out the adult pool.

I liked the adult area but I agree that the location sucks, it is too close to elevators so it doesn't really feel like an "adult area" when you constantly have kids walking through to get to their pool area. The area is also very shaded but that didn't bug me because I prefer the shade. Sunbathers would have to go up to deck 12 to get any good sun.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #44
missj1975
DIS Veteran

We also checked out the adult club area: The District. It was very cool but kind of confusing. All of the clubs are connected so you walk thru one to get to another and then somehow it loops around. It is like a freakin maze, a very pretty looking maze but still a little confusing when you have had one too many cocktails .

I do recommend checking out the clubs after lunch because it was so cool to walk thru the empty clubs, especially if you like to take photos.

So after walking thru the empty clubs we decide to see if our room is ready but it still wasn't 1:30 yet. We waited near the stairs with 50 other impatient guests. I recognized Disboarder Denise's husband and one of her children. They had been riding the Aquaduck since boarding...very smart of them by avoiding the crowds but also very brave because it was kind of chilly out.

DH and I were still debating whether we were even going to ride the Aquaduck or not because DH is not a big water person. I use to be a big time swimmer when I was younger (swimteam, lifeguard, etc.) but now all I can think about what a pain it is to get my hair wet in a pool. I would have to take another shower, re-do my hair, blah blah blah...I am such an old woman, LOL.

So about 1:35 we were finally allowed to our rooms. So after walking the hallway forever, we found our room, at the very end of the six floor, Aft. Yep we were at the back of the boat. At first we were like what the heck but by the end of the cruise we loved our room and the exercise involved getting to our room, LOL.

Our room, which pretty much looks just like our room on the Wonder with a few nice differences...plenty of room under the bed for the suitcases...and no annoying ticking clock...instead the annoying ticking clock is replaced with an annoying bright night-light clock. I resisted the urge to throw the brightest- clock-I-have-ever-seen overboard, instead I just wrapped him up in a towel.

The closet had plenty of hangers...plenty of wooden hangers....Question for you...what do empty wooden hangers sound like on a rocking boat?...Answer, they sound like bones rattling in the closet. It took me awhile to realize Sully wasn't hiding in our closet. Disney...if your reading...may I suggest padded fabric hangers...it might cut down on nightmares.

Our deck...notice it is wet. Yep it was pretty dreary outside at the Port. Chilly and slight drizzle most of the morning.

Awww, the benefits of spending way too much money with Disney... a free bag, waterbottles, key chain (a key chain that I quickly put my keys on before DH could grab it), and rice crispy treats. I love love love the bag..well I should say the replacement bag. When I was putting stuff in the bag the next day I noticed two huge razor cuts on the bag. Apparently a cm got crazy when opening a box and totally ruined my bag. I called guest services to get a replacement and the guy on the phone said no problem...as soon as you return the first one...I'm like sure no problem I will be right down to exchange it...and the guy on the phone is like no we don't have them at the front desk. I'm like what? you want me to walk down to return this bag but yet you don't have a replacement bag. He is like no housekeeping has them and will bring you one later on. And I'm like no problem, housekeeping can take the old bag when they bring me my new one. This stumped the guy on the phone. He is like housekeeping can't take the old bag and you have to return the old one before getting a new one. At this point I am trying to figure out why I am having a five minute conversation over a stupid ripped bag that apparently guest services keeps close tabs on. I do my best Veruca Salt impersonation and basically say, I want a new bag...I want it now...and I am not walking my tired a@@ to the front desk to return the bad one. Guess what, ten minutes later, a Castaway Club rep is at my door with a new bag, we exchange bags and pleasant small talk. As I start putting my stuff into the new bag, I notice another key chain in the bag. Score for my DH!!!

So guess what happens the last night. Our steward comes to our room and asks me to sign a paper saying that I received our castaway club bag of goodies. I was like seriously? Either they have a problem with cm's keeping the goodies or guests trying to score extra goodies because they sure do keep close tabs on this stuff.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #45
Mom2CJ&Kitty
Mouseketeer

Yay! You are back with another awesome trip report. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for the information - love your style.

Our 1st Trip - June 11-15 '07 POFQ
Aug 2011: 4 days POFQ & 4 days on the Dream

Mom2CJ&Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: