Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #211
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyButterfly View Post
Wow, those pictures of WOC were really brilliant. I wish I could go there to see it. I think I might head to youtube and have a look at a video of it. Do you ever think they will move a version to WDW? If so where would they put it?

I think that your accent sounds very normal it has been a while since I have gone overseas and I know it is going to be quite a culture shock to be surrounded by American accents
Thanks QB.

I don't know if they will move a version to WDW. They sure need a big water space for it and a wide promenade area for guests to view it from. It made sense at DCA because of the 'lake' in the middle; and I remember seeing the lake completely drained and under construction in 2008. There was some MAJOR plumbing that needed to be done for this show.

Your accent sounds normal to me too....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #212
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Wow, those pictures of WOC were really brilliant. I wish I could go there to see it. I think I might head to youtube and have a look at a video of it. Do you ever think they will move a version to WDW? If so where would they put it?

I think that your accent sounds very normal it has been a while since I have gone overseas and I know it is going to be quite a culture shock to be surrounded by American accents
There have been a lot of discussions on a WoC for WDW. Honestly I don't think anyone within Disney is talking about a duplicate show over there. But they are getting a bit of it in the new Tokyo Disney Seas water show.

What I find makes WoC so photogenic is MFW and Screemin behind it. Without those enhancements it may not look quite the same.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #213
PrincessInOz
in

Final Moments at DLR

We’d just spent the whole day enjoying our time at DLR, capped off by a first time viewing of WoC for our family.

For me, the World of Colour did not disappoint. The wall of water created by the jets and fountains is just amazing and has to be seen. It provided the perfect screen to project all the various Disney movies on it, all set to the appropriate music. I thought it was an amazingly technological achievement for a water, laser, sound and light show. But then, I am a Disney tragic.

I lingered around after the hazy mist (and I mean the water) died down to soak in my last views of a Disney park for a while.

I reasoned that the crowds would all be crushing out at the same time and we would be at the back of the pack so we might as well stay to enjoy the dimming lights.

Truth be known – I do not know when I will be returning and wanted to take some time to make some lasting memories.

Turns out that there is a whole perspective of Disney at Night that most of us miss out on or just fail to consciously register.

After most of the crowd had gone, I noticed a group of CM standing in a pack waving us goodbye. I turned to take a shot and sadly, with the lights all dimmed, it was way too dark for me to get a decent image.

So, I decided to do something that I had yet to do at DLR! And because I told the CMs that I was going to “Flash”, most of them laughed and turned in my direction for this classic. The one and only time I’ve FLASHED at DLR for this trip! Look at them all - waving at me!

Far too often, we forget that what makes Disney…well…Disney, is the service, smiles and care that the Cast Members provide. Way too often, I read about Dis-sers complaining about this Cast Member or that ‘ruining’ their holiday because of poor customer service.

Cast Members are people too…and at the end of a long shift, I think we forget that they might be tired and cranky or just plain beat from standing on their feet all day, day after day. I think we all can associate with the feeling….

And as one shift finishes and our perfect Disney moments end, another starts….so that the Park is pristine again for us the next day.

The boys and I made our way out of the park. By this time, we were the LAST people around and there was only one way to head…towards the Grand Californian side of DCA.

As we turned the bend, we all stopped to take a look at the Grizzly Peak, headstrong against the moon light.

Against the darkness of the night, poor Grizzly definitely looked rather high and dry.

By this stage, our thoughts were turning towards the Hotel…

We kept walking towards the promenade entrance..

…enjoying the solitude of a pretty empty park…

…and turned our thoughts towards the next part of our adventure.

As I left, I sure hoped that these words would be true.

Post Script. For anyone who thinks that we just headed back to the hotel on this night – think again!

We had one final thing to do…and a promise to keep to DS.

We were advised that this was “just like BaB; only better!” by the server.

If price is anything to go by, it better well be.

And whilst DS is enjoying his toy at home, our poor cats are in complete disarray by the new addition.

[Up Next – Day 3]

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-11-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #214
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Great pictures! You really do a great job. Do you find though that you "miss" the shows? I used to videotape a lot of stuff on our trips, but cut back a lot when I realized I was paying more attention to the camera than the actual show...

Great pix of the CM. I think the same thing...they have a difficult job that involves making my (and others) family happy. That's why I always try and approach CM with a smiling attitude and feel that's partly why I always get one in return.

Also, what was your opinion of world of color? I'm curious to see it, but I can't say it's driving me to get out to DL. The reason: The first time I saw Fantasmic @ DHS, while I enjoyed it, I got really tired of the water screens. They were an effect that when it first started, I thought "that's pretty cool" but after 15 minutes of watching film on a water screen I was getting really bored. In fact, while I like Fantasmic, it prevented me from really loving it. (I only really, really like the last 5 minutes of it.) Between that and DD hating it, and them dropping to twice a week when we go, we haven't seen F! in a few years.

So, I look at WoC and think: "OK, maybe a little fancier, but isn't it just pretty colors and water with movies projected on fountains? I didn't like that at Fantasmic, why would I like it better here, when I can't even sit?"

So, just curious as to how it compares...

Looking forward to your SF reviews...One of my 3 favorite North American cities. (Boston and Toronto being the other two.)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #215
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So, I look at WoC and think: "OK, maybe a little fancier, but isn't it just pretty colors and water with movies projected on fountains? I didn't like that at Fantasmic, why would I like it better here, when I can't even sit?"
Although my family does like Fantasmic esp my DS6, I kind of feel the same way about world of color. Fantasmic has scenes projected on water which I did not like as much as the rest of the show. So a bunch of lights and water, a little fire and not even a storyline just a series of movie trailers and the amount of time it would take away from other things we can do while at DLR just doesn't seem worth it. Our last trip was Christmas and didn't want to brave the crowds for this but we are considering it for our Oct 2011 trip if the arrangements for getting a seat or the crowds for it change before then. So PrincessinOz convince me since you obviously love this show why it is so special?

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #216
Mum from oz
DIS Veteran

Wow! World if Colour looks amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing your photos. I think you got fantastic shots!
2013 - Vegas Wedding, Western Caribbean Fantasy Cruise, WDW 1st time onsite!!
Mum from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #217
QuirkyButterfly
DIS Veteran

How great that the CM's wave you goodbye at the end of the night. What a wonderful touch. Smart idea not to leave with the crowd but wait until everyone has gone, it seems like a good photo opportunity.
QuirkyButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #218
JH87
DIS Veteran

Awww I love the picture of the CMs waving!!!

JH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #219
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Great pictures! You really do a great job. Do you find though that you "miss" the shows? I used to videotape a lot of stuff on our trips, but cut back a lot when I realized I was paying more attention to the camera than the actual show...

Great pix of the CM. I think the same thing...they have a difficult job that involves making my (and others) family happy. That's why I always try and approach CM with a smiling attitude and feel that's partly why I always get one in return.

Also, what was your opinion of world of color? I'm curious to see it, but I can't say it's driving me to get out to DL. The reason: The first time I saw Fantasmic @ DHS, while I enjoyed it, I got really tired of the water screens. They were an effect that when it first started, I thought "that's pretty cool" but after 15 minutes of watching film on a water screen I was getting really bored. In fact, while I like Fantasmic, it prevented me from really loving it. (I only really, really like the last 5 minutes of it.) Between that and DD hating it, and them dropping to twice a week when we go, we haven't seen F! in a few years.

So, just curious as to how it compares...

Looking forward to your SF reviews...One of my 3 favorite North American cities. (Boston and Toronto being the other two.)
Dang! I was trying to do the very PC thing and not compare WoC to anything. And I find between you and ColtonsMom that I'm going to have to do something about this!

If you don't like the water show component of Fantasmic!, then this is not the show for you.

DS does NOT like the last 5 minutes of Fantasmic! Until last year, he wasn't very good in dark places and he didn't like loud noises. So, DH and I used to have to do the tag team thing in order to experience the live entertainment/shows at Disney. Fireworks are my most favourite thing in the world to see - and we even have to make sure we bring earplugs for DS so that we can stay for the show at Disney. I'm sure DS is going to need therapy before he turns 30 about how cruel his mum was dragging him to every fireworks event around!

DS has gotten a lot better in the last year; so we thing we no longer have an issue with live shows at Disney.

WoC is the first show where he thoroughly enjoyed it, didn't want to leave halfway nor bug us about anything. Whilst there is scary music and scary scenes in the middle, because there is so much colour and motion with the rest of the fountains, he was able to enjoy it all. Maybe it is a sign of maturity on his part as well.

For me (and this is my personal opinion), fireworks are THE major drawcard for me. Unfortunately, because I was there in winter and midweek there was no fireworks at DLR. I also love live musical shows - and yes, I have seen Aladdin before - and would have loved to be able to go back and see Aladdin. But winter and midweek - it wasn't on either. In fact, the only night show that was on was WoC.

I'm also a Disney tragic...and the thought of there being a show out there that I hadn't seen - particularly at DLR - well.....good, bad or indifferent, I was going to get there to catch it one way or the other...sooner or later. It just turned out to be a lot sooner than I thought.

Part 2 below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
Although my family does like Fantasmic esp my DS6, I kind of feel the same way about world of color. Fantasmic has scenes projected on water which I did not like as much as the rest of the show. So a bunch of lights and water, a little fire and not even a storyline just a series of movie trailers and the amount of time it would take away from other things we can do while at DLR just doesn't seem worth it. Our last trip was Christmas and didn't want to brave the crowds for this but we are considering it for our Oct 2011 trip if the arrangements for getting a seat or the crowds for it change before then. So PrincessinOz convince me since you obviously love this show why it is so special?
Let me just say that this is my personal opinion here....but I'm not sure I'm going to convince you either way to go see WoC or not. I think you should see it when it is convenient for you and your family to see it and make your own mind up.

Yes, WoC is a bunch of lights and water, a little fire and no storyline....with a series of movie trailers projected on a moving water screen. And there are no seats. Plus...given the hype, in order to get a decent spot, you pretty much have to queue up for about 30 minutes before the CM let you; and then spend another 45 minutes waiting for the bunch of lights and water. Then the 25 minutes for the show. All of this from a standing position.

I mentioned in Pete's response that I'm a Disney tragic.

One of my earliest childhood memories is from growing up as a child in South-East Asia, developing nation, where television did not launch in the country till the 70's (compare this with when TV started in the US). And when it did launch, broadcast was only available from 5 pm to 11 pm during the day.
With not many program options available, one of the only shows that I remember running in to watch every week was Disney's Wonderful World of Colour. The water show could have been absolute c%$p for all I cared.....the name itself just brings me back to my childhood and strongly connects me with the inner child inside me. For me, that is pretty much the initial allure and the magic of Disney.

But I also happen to love a bunch of lights and water, with a bit of fire thrown in. The geek in me thinks that the effect of this is pretty cool and the Disney tragic in me can watch a whole bunch of Disney trailers and be mesmerized by it all. Heck - I can even watch the kaleidescope that used to play at the start of Disney's World of Colour TV show on the water screen and be happy!

Is it the best thing that Disney has ever produced? Again, this is debatable and everyone will have their own personal opinion. I love fireworks and given the choice would have gone to see fireworks over the castle anyday over any show; no matter how brilliant. In fact, I'm one of those people that have NEVER seen the early show of Fantasmic at DL because, for me, it just doesn't compare with the fireworks.

But I knew before I left Oz that WoC was going to be the ONLY night show available on the one day that I had. And as I mentioned in response to Pete - I just couldn't stand the thought of there being a Disney show out there that I hadn't yet seen....particularly at DLR.

Hope this answers your question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
Wow! World if Colour looks amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing your photos. I think you got fantastic shots!
Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and sharing in my TR. Not long for you now...

Quote:
How great that the CM's wave you goodbye at the end of the night. What a wonderful touch. Smart idea not to leave with the crowd but wait until everyone has gone, it seems like a good photo opportunity.
It was a very "quirky" touch. And I loved that most of them looked my way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH87 View Post
Awww I love the picture of the CMs waving!!!
Thanks! So do I!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #220
TheColtonsMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm also a Disney tragic...and the thought of there being a show out there that I hadn't seen - particularly at DLR - well.....good, bad or indifferent, I was going to get there to catch it one way or the other...sooner or later. It just turned out to be a lot sooner than I thought
We will prob see it sooner or later for just that reason I just hope by next trip the hype will have died down some or a lot. If not then we will wait another year after all they did to create it I doubt it will go to the archives any time soon. It just didn't seem to be amazing enough to spend half a day getting FPs then waiting in line for hours (and it would have been hours for the FP and the actual line it was Christmas week)

My 2010 Christmas TR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2613318
My 2011 Halloween PTR is at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....613318&page=29
Me Sherri , DH Brant ,DS6Colton
TheColtonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #221
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColtonsMom View Post
We will prob see it sooner or later for just that reason I just hope by next trip the hype will have died down some or a lot. If not then we will wait another year after all they did to create it I doubt it will go to the archives any time soon. It just didn't seem to be amazing enough to spend half a day getting FPs then waiting in line for hours (and it would have been hours for the FP and the actual line it was Christmas week)
I wouldn't have queued up for a FP to see the show at Christmas either. When you do see it, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it....

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #222
PrincessInOz
in

Day 3 – Road Trip

On the Road to Solvang

After the long day at DLR, I was deep in DreamLand. There was NO alarm rudely waking me up this morning as DH and I banned it last night.

So, when we woke, it was way past 8 am and we were in a mild state of panic about it. We had planned to get up and have an early start, catch up with Alison before heading out of the LA area towards our destination for the night, Solvang.

I got ready and headed out for breakfast. One of the main reasons we had picked the RI was for the cook your own waffles. Okay…it may not be Mickey Waffles; but they were fresh and delicious.

I’d texted Alison to let her know that we were up and we eventually ended up arranging to meet in Long Beach, near the corner of 7th Avenue and Bellflower Avenue. Aside from wanting to spend a bit more face time with Alison, the reason for the meet was to hand over a bottle of Disney contraband. I had brought a bottle of Aussie port with me and I knew that if I even went anywhere near the bag inspectors at the gate, the bottle was going to disappear before I could even say Mickey Mouse.

After a minor detour of heading down the wrong street towards 7th Avenue (and thanks Alison for the correcting directions), we made it to our destination by about 10 am.

Alison was already there and enjoying these snacks….

I ended up ordering this bubble tea drink…

…and there were lots of options from the menu.

And yes, I did remember to take a picture of Alison as well….eventually.

We spent some time chatting and I wish I had more time to spend with her and Fran; but not on this trip. Maybe next time.

I was conscious that the day was getting later and it was time for us to push North on the 405, and then the 101. Traffic was reasonable at midday.

We managed to make it to Camarillo before DS spotted a Game Stop from the Freeway. Plus, he was hungry.

Us? We were pretty pleased with the stop. It was at the Camarillo Outlets!

Whilst I had been busy doing research on choice places to visit and stop in the US, DS had been researching his favourite topic….Pokemon. Turns out that there was a free WiFi gift event for a brand spanky, sexy, shiny Entei at the Game Stop this week and DS was anxious to get it. Well, he was anxious for ME to get it as I had brought my gaming machine with me whilst he chose to leave his behind because he didn’t want to chance losing it.

I bet you didn’t know that I’m a closet girl-gamer, did you? Well, you know now.

So, I’m the proud owner of Entei on both my Pokemon Soul Silver and my Pokemon Platinum. DS wants me to trade an Entei to him….I’m still thinking about it. I might relent when Black and White come out.

And for anyone that hasn’t understood about 50% of the words above, don’t worry. Head on over to the Old Fogies thread in the CB and you’ll fit right on in.

After the dinner last night and breakfast this morning, the last thing we needed was a heavy lunch. So, we were very pleased to find this place…

And the soup and salad meal was exactly what the doctor ordered.

DS ordered the mac and cheese, of course. This is the kid’s serve.

Everything was tasty and fresh; as well as healthy……

…..and needless to say, we counterbalanced the health food in style.

Sadly, the caramel apple was way too sticky and gooey; but it was still lovely.
But it turns out I’d picked the wrong caramel apple. The boys really wanted the multicoloured sugar coated apple with Mickey ears!

And the choc coated marshmallow didn’t last long at all!

After lunch, DH and I did the mad dash through our favourite shops – BR, Coach, Diesel, J Crew – the prices were fantastic. But we didn’t have time to linger too long and it was past 3.30 pm when we left….we hit pre-peak hour through the Santa Barbara stretch.

Getting to Solvang before sunset was going to be a challenge!

A quick check of the map resulted in us making a snap decision to detour via the 154…and what a great decision that turned out to be.

The route took us up on the mountain ridge and to the top past Lake Cachuma. The views were spectacular but we couldn’t stop for pictures. If I ever have the time to pass this way again, I think a stop on Lake Cachuma will be in order.

It took us a surprisingly short time to get to the 246 using this route and we found that we were only 5 miles away from Solvang.

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #223
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Solvang by Night

Solvang Gardens Lodge was our residence of choice for the night. I'd found it on the internet and booked it for it's location, price and on-line reviews. We had two queen sized beds in the room..

...and DS was pleased because he wouldn’t need to sleep on a sofabed for the night.

This little gem of a boutique hotel exceeded my expectations. Our room was charming and cozy and it was remarkably clean.

Despite our longer than planned stop at Camarillo, we got there at about 5 pm and our check-in lady was remarkably efficient. She was also really knowledgeable about the local area.
When she realized that we had wanted to see the local waterfalls, she told us that we had sufficient daylight left (just) for us to visit the Nojoqui Falls.
She also recommended a place for dinner that turned out to be just as a unique experience as Club 33 – more on that later.

So, we didn’t bother to unload our bags and headed straight out to the Falls. We had been advised that it was a 7-mile trek out on windy roads and from the car park to the falls was a ¼ mile walk. The car park would shut at sunset.

Light was fast fading when we arrived and knowing that I had a very short window of opportunity to take some shots, I bolted for the falls.

I was to find out later that DS did NOT enjoy the short walk out. I had totally missed the signs advising to beware of Mountain Lion and the little Aussie was really scared. This was his first time in the great US outdoors and I’d been totally oblivious to the fact that the US warnings on animals were different to those in Oz. We only have to deal with snakes, spiders and the occasional Dingo.

I also found out that he was worried that I might meet a lion on my trek out and be attacked by one. But because I had already bolted off, he bravely persisted….and really, the only cat we saw that night was the scaredy-cat walking next to us.

The falls? Well, I just managed to get there in the dim fading light…

I cranked up the ISO settings manually to get some of these shots…

And it was a beautiful, thin spindly fall. The boys caught up with me at this stage. So, we spent some time posing…

Look at how close you can get to the bottom of the falls!

We didn’t have much light left at this stage…and I hope this conveys how dark it was by this time…

We walked as quickly as we could to the car. It would be a shame to be locked in for the night. Thankfully, the ranger had obviously done a round in his off-road vehicle and he was waiting for us at the gates. He must have been impatient to end his workday because we hardly got through the gates when they slammed shut behind us.

We headed back to town in the twilight, and back to our hotel room where we unloaded the bags and relaxed a bit.

I took a walk around the gardens and to admire the night stars.

I guess it goes without saying that the stars are always brighter in the country than in a city.

Somehow…I think I managed to capture a shooting star!

And if you know it was ET or a UFO, I don’t want to know.

Our stomachs started growling after a while and we wandered into town in search of dinner.

In the words of Arthur Conan Doyle, “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Solvang is one of those quirks of California that in any sense of the word is improbable! The truth of the matter is that it is a stinkin’ pretty kitschy town in the middle of Central California that, if you suspend reality for a while, makes you feel like you are in the middle of Europe.

It is predominantly of Danish architecture and culture…

…as these window scenes clearly demonstrate.

And just look at this wonderful Valentine related window scene – a double score for the Photography Scavenger Hunt.

It was as if it was waiting for me to come along to practically trip over it without any effort on my part…

…to find Love – in the form of Cupid’s Arrow.

With these shots in the can, the boys urged me (I still have the bruises from this night) towards dinner.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-11-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #224
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Another Culinary Experience: Root 246 – Organic and Local

Our check-in lady had recommended a restaurant and she described it as “High End with No need to dress up, Kids Welcomed!”. And with this introduction, it ticked all the boxes for us.

After our lunch at Club 33, DH and I were not expecting to hit another “High End” restaurant so soon but were intrigued to go when we found out that the restaurant had a reputation for sourcing organic and/or local ingredients wherever possible.

So, go it was.

The restaurant is located on Alisal Road, which was very pretty lit up at night...

…so it was only a short drive away from our hotel. Really, we could have walked, but it was cold! The outside façade looked old/new world Danish.

I was pleased to see an open fireplace, with a crackling fire in the outdoor alfresco sitting space.

We walked in through the doors and found that our check-in lady at the hotel was right. This was indeed a high-end establishment, if the black suit on the maitre d’ was anything to go by.
But within minutes of discussion, I quickly realized that the second part of the description was also right. This place was high end without being fussy and there was no need to dress up; plus the maitre d’ displayed a very practical touch with DS and us. He was very accommodating; and despite not have any reservations, we were seated within minutes. No need for buzzer or taking our name or anything!

We were shown through to the dining room, passing by at least 2 other rooms in the process. Aside from the outdoor alfresco area, I saw a wonderfully chic room with the bar and a living/sitting space. I had thought to go back to take pictures, but other matters took over and I never got back to that thought. The dining room was also partitioned into two areas and we were seated in one of the areas.

Our service for the night was one of the best of this trip. Our server, Janet, was informative, friendly and completely attentive to our needs. In fact, all the other servers seemed to keep a watchful eye over every table; not just the ones they were assigned to and at times, we had our needs taken care of by another server, when Janet was busy elsewhere. We had our water glasses topped up regularly and DS’ needs taken care of really well this night. DS even had a meal specially provided for him…off-menu!

Janet noticed me taking a picture of the menu….

…and I asked if it was okay for me to take pictures. The answer was most unexpected. Not only could I take pictures; but I was also asked if I would like to meet the chef and visit the kitchen. Janet told me to take my menu into the kitchen.

What a pleasure and unexpected surprise this turned out to be. The chef is Bradley Ogden.

This Blunder from Down Under hadn’t quite realized it yet and I had to come home to google…but Bradley Ogden is one of those celebrated US chefs. If you don’t know who he is, you go google him and see what I mean. Without knowing it at the time, we had obviously been recommended one of those Destination Dining locations!

At the time, I thought him very gracious and accommodating. He was more than happy for me to snap away and even signed my menu for me.

The kitchen was full of chefs/people at work

Janet showed me around the back kitchens and the refrigerators and I snapped away to my heart’s content. I was just overjoyed to have been able to have this special and personal culinary/cooking experience.

But what about the food?

After I got back to the table, Janet took our orders. As there was no kid’s menu, there wasn’t anything on the restaurant menu that took DS’ fancy. So, we asked if they would make plain pasta for him with some sauce. Janet checked with the chef and we were in luck – turns out the kitchen could provide one of his favourite meals for him and it wasn’t listed on the menu.

Whilst waiting for our meal to arrive, we were served with the delicious and dense homemade whole wheat bread.

The darker bread at the back was a surprisingly sweet dark rye and blueberry. It was almost muffin like, only with a bread texture. I’m not sure I liked it – somehow bread should not be that sweet.

Those of you that have been around my PTR will know that I had the pleasure of dining at Gordon Ramsay’s Maze restaurant in Melbourne. Whilst the food was great, it wasn’t completely outstanding; and one of my complaints was the lack of an Amuse Bouche that seems almost compulsory when fine dining.

No such complaints here!

The lovely smoked salmon nugget was served on rye and teamed with a delicious vinaigrette (it was either olive or caper, I forget which now). I just love seafood with dill; so the dill garnish was just the perfect topper for me.

We were still full from yesterday’s lunch, so DH and I decided to split an appetizer. We chose the Organic Caeser Salad.

The very accommodation kitchen even split the salad for us on two plates. I’m glad that they stopped the splitting line when it came to the poached egg.

Even DS liked the balance of flavours in the dressing. But he can’t fool me… I know it was the Parmesan Cheese that he loved in this dish!

DS had been offered his favourite Parmesan Cheese, with a side of homemade Parpadelle Bolognaise. Definitely not on the menu but available on the night.

It was superb.

DH is a pescatarian vegetarian and he chose to order the parpadelle with local Santa Ynes Valley grown mushrooms and spinach for dinner.

If you’ve followed my previous recommendation and googled Chef Bradley Ogden and/or Root 246, you may have come across a review by the LA Times. The reporter ordered a tagliatele mushroom and asparagus dish that was described as “bland and too greasy.” DH didn’t order this particular dish but it sounded close.

I don’t claim to be a good food critic; nor do I claim to be a critic in any sense of the word and certainly not like a newspaper food critic…I just claim to be a foodie, critical for good food.

So, I was surprised to read the tagliatele review when I got home. Perhaps the kitchen had taken the comments on board or had just been a little off that day; but the winter version of this dish – the parpadelle, mushroom and spinach – was neither bland nor greasy.
For my money, the dish that was presented to DH on this night was full of deep earthy tones from the mushrooms and there was definitely no sign of anything greasy about the meal. I particularly liked the combination of the earthy mushrooms with the iron afternotes from the spinach in the barely there cream sauce. And the silky parpadelle was perfectly al dente and slipped down my throat!

I ordered the scallops, clams and Dungeness crab with pasta.

The seafood was perfectly cooked and the tomato-based sauce was spicy and full-bodied. My only slight and incredibly minor issue was with the tomato paste garnish; which was piped into empty clamshells. For me, the tomato paste turned out to be more of an inconvenience than an enhancement for the dish. I found it hard to mix the paste into the sauce and at times had the harsh acidity of the dense tomato paste to deal with against the tender and delicate seafood. Perhaps a pesto may have worked better in its place.

We argued over dessert. Originally, the thinking had been that we would share one dessert between the three of us….but that was before the dessert menu arrived at the table!

DS took one look and declared that he wanted Banana Split. Is he for real???
I tried to push him in the direction of something else and in the end given the choice we had, we settled on 2 desserts.

I should have known that this was not going to be any ordinary Banana Split.

So fun!

And I ended up with the organic Apple Sorbet with grapefruit and a butter cookie, fresh and warm from the oven.

Both desserts were wonderful and so full of flavour.

And after we settled the bill, we all rolled ourselves out into the cold air and back into the car, drove down the road and collapsed into bed.

[Up Next – Day 4]

Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #225
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I am loving this whole TR I hope I can only do as well as you. You are the closet way I will see WOC. I love it. I love all the pics in solvang. Its been a long time since I was there. I will have to try the bakeries sometime. It is hard when you want to do so much and not enough time and exhaustion sets in. But there is always next time. Cant wait to read more.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: