Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
mkmommy
DIS Veteran

Cinque Terre on your own

Since everyone has so many great ideas and tips for Villefranche own your own, how about a similar thread for Cinque Terre on your own.

I have read lots but it sounds like the hardest part is finding the train station in La Spezia, anyone have tips they care to share?

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
amackay
And they call him, Sandy... Clawssss...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmommy View Post
Since everyone has so many great ideas and tips for Villefranche own your own, how about a similar thread for Cinque Terre on your own.

I have read lots but it sounds like the hardest part is finding the train station in La Spezia, anyone have tips they care to share?
Agreed, the hardest part is finding the train station. Once you disembark there are local tourist information staff with free maps who will give directions.

Also, don't believe the station staff when they give you a platform number for the Cinque Terre train service. They gave us the platform for a Pisa service.

You will love Cinque Terre, Monterosso & Vernazza are the 2 I absolutely would not miss. I'd recommend trying the Cinque Terre wine, it's very good and reasonably priced.
April 30th 2011 - 2 weeks Beach Club Villas(first DVC trip)
Sep 10th 2011 - DCL 14 night WBTA & 7 nights Bay Lake Tower
Oct 20th 2012 - Las Vegas (wedding), 5 nights Villas at Grand Californian & 7 night DCL Mexican Riviera
Nov 12th 2013 - Grand Floridian Villas, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West
Oct 22nd 2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West
amackay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Oh count me in for ideas too!! We are planning to use romeinlimo for Rome & Naples but they really want a lot more euro for this port so I am torn about doing Cinque Terre or Pisa / Lucca.

But stay tuned….2nd trip report coming soon for Disneyland and Aulani 2014.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
DisneyGirl421
Future Broadway Star!
Singing is *my* anti-drug!
My nickname is Braids

Cinque Terre is gorgeous, I would definitely recommend trying to see it.

I hiked to 4 out of 5 towns. The last one is the hardest, and me and my friends didn't feel up to that. But its totally worth it. The views along the hiking paths are spectacluar and amazing. I would also recommend eating there, as that region is known for their pesto sauce. Delicious!!
Go for your dreams, you can live it, Reach for the sky, there's no limit
~ Having the time of my life living the dream in WDW, swimming Under the Sea with Ariel and going back to the day Belle & Beast fell in love
MK Fantasyland Attractions <3
DisneyGirl421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
gatzsd
Mouseketeer

The train station is a bit of a walk - but it isn't too hard to find. You can always take a cab to save a little time. Once we got there we just missed the train and had to wait an hour for the next one - so that really ate into our time as well - but the walk there is nice . Rick Steves has a guide book on Cinque Terre and found that to be quite helpful. Wish we had several days to spend there not just a short day- didn't get to spend near enough time there.
gatzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
mickymania
Mouseketeer

Someone told me that you can take a boat, instead of the train. Has anyone ever tried or heard of that option?
mickymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatzsd View Post

. . . Rick Steves has a guide book on Cinque Terre and found that to be quite helpful. Wish we had several days to spend there not just a short day- didn't get to spend near enough time there.
We spent several days in the Cinque Terre, and loved it.

I recommend Rick Steves guidebook on the Cinque Terre no matter how long the stay. It was in our copy of Rick Steves "Italy".

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
kakop
Earning My Ears

We had planned to use a combination of boats and trains for the cinque terre, but the day we were there the seas were too rough so the boats weren't running. We took the train to Monterosso (the furthest town from La Spezia) and worked our way back, hiking some routes and using the train for others. It was a great day, and I'd love to do it again. The hiking trails weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be and the views were spectacular!
kakop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakop View Post
We had planned to use a combination of boats and trains for the cinque terre, but the day we were there the seas were too rough so the boats weren't running. We took the train to Monterosso (the furthest town from La Spezia) and worked our way back, hiking some routes and using the train for others. It was a great day, and I'd love to do it again. The hiking trails weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be and the views were spectacular!
How long of a day is it to do it this way??? Did you head out super early? Did you have plenty of time left at the end of the day to get back to the ship with time to spare before all aboard??

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickymania View Post
Someone told me that you can take a boat, instead of the train. Has anyone ever tried or heard of that option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
How long of a day is it to do it this way??? Did you head out super early? Did you have plenty of time left at the end of the day to get back to the ship with time to spare before all aboard??
La Spezia was by far our favorite port. We walked to the train station by following the map a local gave us at the port. It is a good half an hour walk. The train runs much more frequently than the boat so if you're planning to see more than 2 towns, I'd recommend doing it by train. It took us 6 hours to do all 5 towns but we had to keep close tabs on the train schedule. We took the 11 am train to Monterroso and made our way back. Vernazza was our favorite! We got back around 5 and took the taxi back to the port because there was a LOT of walking and everyone was exhausted.

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We spent several days in the Cinque Terre, and loved it.

I recommend Rick Steves guidebook on the Cinque Terre no matter how long the stay. It was in our copy of Rick Steves "Italy".

Woody
I second the recommendation for Rick Steves' Italy. I always have one or more of his guidebooks with me when I visit Europe. http://www.ricksteves.com//books/update/update_menu.htm
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
kakop
Earning My Ears

I don't remember what time we started out, but I'm guessing it was early. We walked both to and from the train station in La Spezia. We had plenty of time as the stop in port was a long one. The most important thing is noting the train schedules so you can plan your time in each village. We loved Vernazza too, and also vote for Rick Steves' guide. He spells out the "how-to's" in great, easy-to-follow detail.
kakop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
Anal Annie

OK, so I just looked at our itinerary & see we have from 7:30-7:30 for this port. I am assuming there are trains that start running earlier than 11:00?! And if we WANTED to we could take longer than 6 hours?! How much does the train and / or boat cost to do it on your own? Anybody remember? Looks like from last years prices still on the website that DCL charges $129 pp (adult) for a boat tour (that would be switched to a bus tour if they can't operate the boats) and it says 4.5 - 5 hours duration. I don't see an option for the train thru DCL...

Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
amackay
And they call him, Sandy... Clawssss...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
OK, so I just looked at our itinerary & see we have from 7:30-7:30 for this port. I am assuming there are trains that start running earlier than 11:00?! And if we WANTED to we could take longer than 6 hours?! How much does the train and / or boat cost to do it on your own? Anybody remember? Looks like from last years prices still on the website that DCL charges $129 pp (adult) for a boat tour (that would be switched to a bus tour if they can't operate the boats) and it says 4.5 - 5 hours duration. I don't see an option for the train thru DCL...
If you are doing the train on your own it's €8,50 per person for the Cinque Terre Card with train travel or €19,50 per person with Boat & train travel

http://www.cinqueterre.com/eng/information/card/
April 30th 2011 - 2 weeks Beach Club Villas(first DVC trip)
Sep 10th 2011 - DCL 14 night WBTA & 7 nights Bay Lake Tower
Oct 20th 2012 - Las Vegas (wedding), 5 nights Villas at Grand Californian & 7 night DCL Mexican Riviera
Nov 12th 2013 - Grand Floridian Villas, Beach Club Villas, Old Key West
Oct 22nd 2014 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West
amackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

FYI. Taxi was 10 Euros including tips from the train station back to the port.

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: