Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #11
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern

This was our only TS meal inside the Magic Kingdom. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in Australia so we chose the LTT on the basis that we would get to experience some American culture and continue the tradition of making reasonable value out of each credit

We went to the restaurant at about 7:30pm for our 8:00pm reservation, just as a way to get inside and escape the cold. Unfortunately they were very busy and couldn't seat us until our ressie time. In the meantime they had a large waiting area (one of the largest I had seen outside of the hotel restaurants) so we just sat around and waited. The LTT had a colouring in area with special LTT pictures to colour in. It's a good waiting area for the children. DS embraced her inner child and coloured in a picture too!

Eventually we were seated. Our server was Sebat from Turkey, although he went as Sebastian. He wasn't a terrible server, but he definitely wasn't a great server. Sebastian seemed to treat his other tables better than us. It's a small thing, but just one example of this was how he warmly greeted every other table with a "Happy Holidays!" while for us he just said hello and gave the usual spiel about what he would serve us. This was just one of the few little things that we missed out on. I wouldn't go as far as to say that he was rude to us and he did the basic duties of a server fairly well, it's just that by comparison our treatment was not as good as the tables around us.

Anyways, I suppose I should move onto the menu! The LTT is a family style restaurant, ie. all you can eat brought to you by the server. Below is a picture of the menu. I believe this one is newer than the one on DisneyWorld.com, because the price has changed. Now it is $35.99

So as you can see a few things are included on the menu. DS and I had chocolate milk to drink, and I think DM and DD had sodas.

We were started off with a bowl of bread

The bread was quite nice and the soft whipped butter served with it was good too. Plenty of rolls were provided, although we didn't eat too many because we didn't want to fill up before the Patriot's Platter!

Shortly afterwards the Declaration Salad was served

The salad itself was just your average garden salad, but the strawberry vinaigrette dressing was quite nice.

After this was the Patriot's Platter.

The meat (turkey, beef and ham as well as some herb bread stuffing)

The Mac and Cheese

And the Mashed Potato and Seasonal Vegetables (sorry about the flash on the mashed potatoes!)

A gravy boat accompanied this stuff.

I'll go through the dishes separately. On the meat platter the only thing that was pretty good was the turkey. The beef was a bit rare (that piece on top was one of the better cooked ones!) and it was clear that from the taste that the ham had been manufactured and frozen, rather than being fresh off-the-bone ham or something like that. I usually eat my meat medium-rare and the beef was probably a little rarer than what I am used to but it was alright for me, however DM, DD and DS usually eat their meat medium to well done so it was too rare for them. As for the Mac and Cheese this one seemed to have a lot of cheese sauce, more than we are used to. Also, it definitely needed some salt or something to pick it up because it just tasted a bit dull. The mashed potatoes were not too bad, they were nice and fluffy. And the beans, well, they were as good as beans can be . I think we asked for more turkey, beef, mash and macaroni. However, I think the chefs must just be plating sets with everything on it because Sebastian just brought out a plate with all the meats as well as the stuffing rather than just the specific items we asked for. On this second plate the meat was even rarer than before, to the point where only the rim of the meat appeared cooked.

Another slightly strange thing that happened. We had barely made a dent in our drinks (not even halfway!) when Sebastian decided to bring out another round of drinks. For those who haven't been before, they are served in large tavern-style mugs so the drinks aren't exactly small! I'm not sure if he was just trying to offer us good service or trying to fill us up on cheap drinks

Also concerning drinks, the LTT, or anywhere else in MK for that matter, does not serve alcohol. This is not a criticism of the LTT, and did in no way affect us, but some people may prefer to dine at a nearby resort in order to grab a alcoholic drink with their meal.

Anyway by this point we had sufficiently warmed up to the point where we were happy to have our dessert, apple crisp with ice-cream.

Both parts were pretty good - the apple crisp here was better than the one at CHH. We ordered an extra serve of ice-cream, which was brought out without the apple crisp as requested . I think that this was probably the highlight of the meal.

So that concluded our meal. This is perhaps the most difficult meal I have had to rate so far. The meal was alright, but it wasn't the type of meal that makes memories. When I look back on the trip so far I think of things like the strawberry soup at 1900PF, the Cape May dinner and our awesome Maya Grill experience. In fact, all of us agreed that so far this had been the biggest let down. Individual components were good, some components were bad, and when it all came together it was just a mediocre experience, alright but not very good. This is the first TS place so far that we wouldn't visit again.

Now time for the recommendations. Personally, I think that the only groups I would recommend this restaurant to are foreigners like us who are searching for a cultural experience in the form of a traditional thanksgiving meal (although the food is quite similar to our Christmas meal) or to people who are visiting at Thanksgiving or are just desperate to have a Thanksgiving meal for some reason. At $35.99 I think it is overpriced for those that aren't on a dining plan, although obviously cost is not such a big issue for those on the DDP. You could probably get a good meal for less elsewhere in the park, or even a better meal for just a few dollars more! Basically, if someone were to ask my honest opinion on this meal, I would say to go elsewhere. I'm not sure what the park offerings are like, but if you're looking for all you can eat, go to one of the resorts around the MK. I can vouch for 1900PF and Whispering Canyon Cafe (went to the WCC three times on our 2006 trip, when we stayed at the WL!) and from what I've read about Ohanas and Chef Mickey's they also sound pretty good. If you're just looking for a TS meal in the park, perhaps Crystal Palace, Tony's or the Plaza will be better options for you. Honestly, it can't be that much more mediocre than the LTT.

Cost:

4 TS credits used - 8 remaining
Bill Total - $153.32 (avg. $38.33ea)
Running Total - $2109.42

NEXT UP: Lunch at the Animal Kingdom!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-09-2011 at 05:32 AM.
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter service, dining plan, holidays, snacks, table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: