Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #1306
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
All this bag talk has me thinking... I LOVE the way handbags and purses look, sure. But carrying them around drives me absolutely batty! I did enjoy the few days I went without mine last year... With a three year-old I'm fairly certain that's an impossibility!
Well the good news for you is... you have a stroller to put it in! I loved that.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #1307
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

OMG I missed your update !!I would have been with you at the Bakery !!!I did not care for the Tangerine cafe , don't get me wrong some of the food was very tasty but the meats were awful !!! I can't resist the Raspberry Schluss at the bakery !!! It's my choice every time !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #1308
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
OMG I missed your update !!I would have been with you at the Bakery !!!I did not care for the Tangerine cafe , don't get me wrong some of the food was very tasty but the meats were awful !!! I can't resist the Raspberry Schluss at the bakery !!! It's my choice every time !!!
I think Tangerine is very hit or miss for a lot of people. I'll need to check out the Raspberry Schluss next time, that sounds yummy!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 AM   #1309
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I think Tangerine is very hit or miss for a lot of people. I'll need to check out the Raspberry Schluss next time, that sounds yummy!
I am stuck at workSo am doing some Dissing between cleaning !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 02-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #1311
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Ditch em!

All finished up, we wandered out of Tangerine Café. It was about 1pm so we are actually doing pretty well all things considered. Did I mention how HOT it was? Did I mention that Paul does not do well in the heat? We’d known this going into the trip but now that we were here, on the heels of a rather big scare the previous morning we just didn't want to take any chances. And so we began a type of touring I’d never done before, albeit one we’d planned to employ when the time was right.

I call it the AC slide. Where you “slide” as much as possible from one AC attraction, to the next. In and of itself this would be a change. We are outdoor people and don’t do a lot of indoor attractions. Jeff and I were kind of excited about it actually, an “excuse” to see new stuff that maybe the kids wouldn’t have chosen were it not for the heat and the need to keep grandparents cool (literally and figuratively). It might mean waiting in lines we’d typically try to get a FP for, but that was ok too!

We slid back…to France! And, to Impressions of France. A new indoor attraction! None of us had ever any the WS movies so this was a big first.

This looked tempting but…not now

While we were waiting, Evan met a new friend, and we had a fun gargoyle discussion.

What can I say about Impressions of France? It impressed us! 18 minutes of air conditioned bliss. It really was gorgeous and we all left wanting to go, or for me, wanting to go back, NOW!

We did have a little fun on the way out

Sufficiently cooled it was decided that a FP run was in order. Test Track was on certain people’s minds. I mean Jeff’s. And mine. And Eric’s. I’m not sure anyone else got a say. According to my trusty android app, the return times seemed good and the better choice given a short wait (still) at MS. Sadly, as expected, the FP's for Soarin' had a return time that was well into our dinner ressie.

Jeff, K&T decided to sprint ahead and get tickets and then we’d text on where to meet from there.

Bye Bye France, see you in May!

We were strolling by and saw a Photopass photographer. So of course I had to get Sandie and Paul into a few shots!

Continuing our stroll, we saw these guys! You can see the steam on my lens.
If we were hot, imagine it in kilts!!!!

So had Jeff and Taylor and so they’d stopped in their tracks to hear them for a bit, we enjoyed listening to them together. So much for the sprint.
We listened to 2 or so songs and enjoyed them as much as before. But time was a wasting, the day was heating up and so the sprint started again for some, the stroll for others.

As we sauntered…or slid really, we were a bit slimy and getting slimier by the second we received a text that FP’s had been gathered and to meet at Spaceship Earth.

Perfect! SE had been our first ride of the 08 trip and was such a fun intro to Epcot! With a 5 minute wait we slid….into air-conditioned bliss
I admit, I didn’t get any pictures of the ride itself. Not because I’m a rule follower but because my camera sucks at indoor shots. Case in point. I did attempt a few redneck photos after.

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 02-08-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #1312
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I did get our videos though

These are weird. Evan did not ride solo, pretty sure he was with Paul and my hair kills me, I have a pull top head or something! Which makes no sense at all as it was in a low ponytail bun type thing. Weird

It was a huge hit all around and I really enjoyed the changes since our last visit.

Continuing our journey, it seemed appropriate that Mission Space would be next.

Some very crummy queue pics just to prove we were really there

With Paul’s blood pressure, green was chosen for some of the crew and for the rest of us, yes…another date with Orange! Honestly I can’t recall who all went on which, I’m pretty sure Sandie, Paul and Kendall did Green, I know Jeff and I did Orange. One of the other kids did green but whom, I’ve not a clue.

As usual, it was a hit. And, as usual, our postcards home never seemed to show up. Honestly I’m still surprised that the SE ones actually did. By now we were approaching our FP time for TT. So that’s what we did.

This picture cracks me up! It is the exact expression that Kendall gets on this ride, and for that matter when she is really going for it in soccer. I just downloaded a bunch of soccer pics from last week’s game and she looks just like her grandma! I don’t think I’ll tell either of them that as well, it’s not a flattering look, but it sure is funny!

Somehow I didn’t get the other car onto my card. Bummer.

The verdict? They loved it!

It was 4pm by this point and we’d done a few of the big ones. We had a 7:20 dinner reservation, it was hot, everyone wanted to swim and we had 4 Soarin’ FP’s from the morning.

There were 8 of us.

What to do?

Ok what I wanted to do was to go on Soarin’. I admit it. But there were others who needed/deserved it more, others who hadn’t gone on it in April (at DCA) and so, with more than a little sadness from some of us, we did the right thing and gave them to Sandie, Paul, Kendall and Taylor.

Since we had made such a huge personal sacrifice, Jeff decided we deserved a reward. One that involved sprinting. I kid you not. That man MOVED and we were just scrambling trying to keep up. He had a mission.

A very special, adult only, mission.

To

Here

Yes, it’s true. We ditched our family (well most of them), gave up the coveted Soarin’ FP’s to go to…

The Ditch.

Except I didn’t know people were calling it that then, it was still pretty darn new at that point. It was actually a little hard to find for some reason, it hadn’t occurred to us that it was actually INSIDE the pavilion so we walked around the exterior looking for signs to La Cava before somehow we were directed or just decided to go in and see if it was there.

Our CM greeted us with what was becoming a familiar greeting anytime Jeff had his hat on.

"What can I get you Dr. Jones?"

Oh it was hard to choose! But, after much debate while we enjoyed the air conditioned bliss, it was determined that the Clasico was calling our names. One with, and one without, salt.

Our amazing CM , whose name I don’t recall because I suck at ever remembering any of the CM’s names, finished making the drinks and stepped away. We took a healthy first sip. Ahhh….Pure heaven. Just then he came back. And uttered some words I honestly never expected to hear.

“You ordered these strong, right?”

We looked at each other, looked at him, nodded mutely with grins on our faces and watched dumbfounded as he completely topped off what we had just sipped and then some with a VERY healthy splash of tequila.

Ah…now this is a Cave we could hang out in!

Except really, there was nothing for the E’s to do in there. We weren’t eating, or buying them drinks so sadly we left, hoping to make it back someday.

The plan had been to meet back in Canada. We’d all been ok leaving Off Kilter early as we knew with the show times we might make it back to see another one on our way out. And sure enough we did!

Jeff was enthralled

The drink was easing the pain felt by a missed soar

It was HOT. And the drinks were melting fast.

These two were less than thrilled with the waiting, the fact they didn't get to go on soarin', the heat, and the band (and the fact that they didn’t have drinks). It wasn’t so much that they didn’t like the music as I know they do, the other stuff was getting to them and me, being the mean cheap mom that I am, didn’t want to waste snack credits on drinks when we were 10 minutes away from our room and our own refillable mugs.

Finally, the rest of the group arrived. They were not moving quickly

Paul and Sandie enjoyed the show

Now. During this Sandie decided everyone else needed a drink. And attempted to get them at the Canada coffee kiosk nearby. They all ordered, frozen cappuccinos and some bottled drinks. Sandie went to pay.
Their machine wasn’t working.

They couldn’t take the DDP for snack credits. Even though I’m almost positive they had the little purple box there to indicate they could.
They couldn’t take a credit card.

All of a sudden it was a scramble for cash while the drinks sat there and the blended ones melted and weeped, kids eying them longingly.

I’ll admit. I hardly ever have cash. Heck, I’d been making the E’s wait to just use their refillable mugs and save the snack credits for something more worthy than a bottle of powerade. If a place only takes cash (or their machine is down so that’s all they can take) they sure as heck ought to tell you before you are ordering 6 drinks! We were not happy about it. All they needed was a little hand written sign that said cash only! Thankfully we scraped enough together, the heated kids were cooled off and we headed out, having done all that anyone could handle in the heat.
Arriving back, we found these!

Rufus and Snowy, Eric's animals had gotten on the bed! They know better.

We wanted to go the pool. Sandie and Paul wanted to rest and Paul wanted to get on his laptop to work on a Sermon. I poured them each a glass of wine and we took off, knowing that we really only had about an hour to get wet and cool off before we’d need to get ready for dinner. As we left we determined that a cab was really the only way we’d manage to squish the pool time and Sandie agreed to make the arrangements while we were out cooling off.

All in all, a great first afternoon and one where we’d survived being split up, finding CS for 8 in the WS, hitting some of the key must do’s, and a bit of melting, all with relatively good grace, moods and minimal issues. We had done a lot of never dones. Grey Goose and Grand Marnier Slushies, the Ditch, Captain EO, lunch in France, Impressions of France, ORANGE, and we at least went IN to Innovations even if we didn't find SOAT. SAB was definitely in order for all! I’m not sure I’ve ever changed and thrown a glass of wine at someone so fast.

I’ll admit, I have no pictures of our dip in SAB but can say it felt great, and the rum and coke in my refillable mug, was equally refreshing!

So refreshing that a new concern arose. Could we get them out of the pool in time to make it to Ohana? The menu that had single handedly won the top spot in our stack ranking menu review by every single member of my family? Would it live up to the loft expectations we all had? Would it really feel like “family”

Most importantly…would I finally drink out of a pineapple?

Last edited by eandesmom; 02-08-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #1314
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

You are making some serious headway in cranking out a great trip. I love your EPCOT day, especially a dive into the Cave. Great place, eh??

Minimal issues is always a nice bonus! I was worried there for a minute about having a cranky kid meltdown moment while you were watching Off Kilter.

AND YIKES, that was something I'd have very little patience with-the drink stand fiasco. I think I would have been tempted to say something. I NEVER had cash (a whole ugly story in itself for my trip), and would have had to walk away without my drink.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1315
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

I had to pull up D-Cot and take a "Walk In the Irish Rain". Kudos on catching Off Kilter.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #1316
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I had no idea that there was an actual word for going from one AC attraction to another -- the AC Slide. Almost mandatory in that the brutal summer heat.

Jeff was a very smart man to reward you with a drink from the Cave -- giving up Soarin' FPs deserves nothing less.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #1317
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Gosh, I really want to try La Cava now. And since we'll be so close, I think it would be perfect.

Even if I have to try it myself!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #1318
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Ah yes the AC slide! I know it well. A similar action is the raindrop slide
I think a visit to the Ditch it is a good consolation prize for giving up Soarin' FP.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #1319
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Great update!!!!

I'm not a tequila drinker but I think I would love one of those nice cold drinks on a HOT day!

Glad you were able to fit in a little pool time and cool off a bit.

I can't wait to hear about your meal at 'Ohana. That could be my favorite restaurant... I hope you guys make it!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #1320
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Nice afternoon in EPCOT. Ya know, you could have stuck with the "Ditch" theme and ding dong ditched the drinks! But it sounds like they were just the thing needed to cure some woes. They really do need to post the cash only thing more clearly, especially since it is so different from almost every place else in the World.

It is good that you had time for a dip in the pool. Hope it was enough time for everyone. Or was is TOO much time? I'm curious to see if you make it to 'Ohana, how late and what they assess you for a penalty punishment. We got 30 minutes in a crowded lobby, no drinks in pineapple for our tardiness.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: