Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #136
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbprincess View Post
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your dining report! You are doing an excellent job with the descriptions and pictures. Keep it up!

Subscribing and looking forward to the rest

Oh, and I've been considering Raglan Road for our trip this Oct/Nov. I think your review has made that a definite. Thanks!
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy Raglan Road as much as we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker12 View Post
Those sandwiches look amazing!!!
Oh, they were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Hmmm, those desserts alone are worth trying to get a reservation at Chefs de France.

I'm glad you liked Le Cellier. We enjoyed it last summer when we went there for our first anniversary trip. They even gave us free champagne! However, I'm so disappointed that no one got the chocolate moose. He's just so cute!
We had a look at the Chocolate Moose, but none of us could bring ourselves to eat the poor thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbear View Post
I am enjoying your dining reviews. This is a first for me to read dining reviews and this has me hooked. I can't wait to go to try the Butterfinger cupcake at Starring Roles.

Lucy
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the reviews. Hope you enjoy the Butterfinger Cupcake!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #137
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Hollywood Scoops

This scoop shop is located just outside the Tower of Terror, and seems like quite a popular place to pick up an ice-cream, even in Winter!

They have a range of flavours to choose from including Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cookies & Cream, Mint Chocolate Chip and Butter Pecan. I think they also had a sorbet and some low-fat, low-sugar vanilla.

I may be wrong, but I think the only thing you could get on a snack credit was a cone or cup. They only offer one size of cone or cup, and it comes with two scoops of ice-cream. DS and I both got cups. I had one with Mint Chocolate Chip and Butter Pecan (weird, I know. Even the Cast Member thought so! ) and DS had one with Chocolate and Cookies & Cream. ($3.89ea).

The ice-cream was as good as an ice-cream could be, and we enjoyed it more than the ice-creams we got from the snack cart. I personally think that if you want an ice-cream on a snack credit, you may as well come to a place like this where the ice-cream costs a little more but it is prepared for you then and there and there are a variety of flavours to choose from. The serving sizes of the ice-creams were very generous and they lasted for quite some time (and DS was able to share hers with DM & DD comfortably), so even for those who are purchasing this OOP, I think it is worth the extra 50c or so. All in all, I would recommend this for anyone in search of a good ice-cream

Sorry no pics of this snack! Later tonight I'll be posting a review of Mama Melrose's

Cost:

2 snack credits used - 16 remaining
Bill Total - $8.29 (avg. $4.14ea)
Running Total - $1729.57

NEXT UP: Dinner at Mama Melrose's

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-06-2011 at 03:30 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #138
Hootiss
cheese and crackers

ok, the turkey sandwich and butterfinger cupcake look AMAZING!!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #139
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Dinner at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano

After watching Fantasmic! we quickly made our way down to Mama Melrose's at the Streets of America for our dinner. We arrived a little after 7:20pm for our 7:30pm reservation. The lobby itself is quite small but immediately you are transported to this really interesting place where Hollywood meets New York which meets Italy .

We were seated pretty much right on time for our reservation in a nice big booth near the window. Our server was Sam, or perhaps Cory. The reason I say this is because we were told that his name was Sam by the guy who seated us and the receipt said we were served by Sam, but his badge said that his name was Cory. Perhaps he had put on the wrong badge at the start of his shift? Regardless of what his name was, he was a really good server. He made sure our drinks were filled and even made a few exceptions in regards to what we received on the dining plan. I'll explain more as I go on. By the way, if any one has had this guy before and can confirm his name, please let me know as I'm just curious!

So to drink DM, DS and I all had sodas ($2.69ea) and Dad asked if he could get a sparkling water. Sam said so no problem and soon returned with a huge bottle of Pellegrino! It was probably a litre bottle (a little more than a quart) and usually cost $6.50! That was really nice of him. Dad also bought a glass of the Canyon Road Merlot ($9)

Below are some pics of the menu

Sam gave us a few suggestions for the entrees, but he said that everything was good. For our entrees DM ordered the Shrimp Pippette pasta ($19.99), DS ordered the Spaghetti con Vongole (This dish has replaced a more generic Spaghetti Marinara dish they used to have before, cost $19.99) and DD and I both ordered the Charred Strip Steak ($28.99). He asked DM and DS if they wanted their pastas to be a bit spicy. DS said no and DM said to make hers a bit spicy.

While we were waiting Sam brought out a basket of seven, yes, seven bread rolls! He said he didn't want to fill us up, but the bread was good. The bread was served with a dip of possibly olive oil and pepper, although we asked for some regular butter as well which was just as good.

Not wanting to be rude, we decided to finish all seven of the dinner rolls and were quite full, yet happy that we had succeeded in this monumental task. Imagine our horror when he brought out ANOTHER seven rolls! . We had a couple of them but couldn't finish the lot.

Soon the meals came out. Here's the Spaghetti con Vongole

The Shrimp Pipette

And the Charred Strip Steak (and the seven extra rolls in the background! )

DM enjoyed her meal, but found it very spicy! The chefs had packed it with chilli flakes in accordance with her wishes. While she quite liked the heat and found it good, it would have been better if the chilli flakes had come on the side and then she could have put as little or as much as she liked. Her recommendation is that the dish is good, but if you want the chilli flakes, make sure you ask for it on the side rather than already mixed into the dish, as the amount of chilli may be too much for some.

DS's Spaghetti con Vongole had a lot of pepper in it, too much for her liking. Perhaps something went awry here because there was just far too much pepper, for anyone's taste. I suppose we could have easily sent it back but we didn't bother.

DD and I enjoyed our Charred Strip Steaks a lot. The steak itself was well cooked and being charred it was a bit different to the regular steak. All the side components such as the potatoes, onions, butter and wine reduction were also good and complemented the steak well. I would definitely order this one again if I were to return.

Afterwards Sam brought out the dessert menus. Just keep in mind that the Tiramisu they offer is not a Tiramisu, but a tiramisu-flavoured gelato. Sam overheard me pointing it out to Mum and Dad and he said that almost everyone that comes into the restaurant seems to have that problem, so I just thought I would point it out here

Dad decided on the Chocolate Amerittini Cheesecake ($5.49) and the rest of us got the Chocolate Cannoli Cake ($5.99). It took a few minutes for the desserts to come out.

The Cheesecake

And the Chocolate Cake

Both desserts were pretty good. In regards to the cake, I enjoyed the cake a lot but didn't really like the sauce that they had drizzled on the plate. You might be able to see the cappuccino in the picture. Sam had told us prior to the meal that he was an easy guy and we could have both a non-alcoholic drink during the meal and he would get us a cappuccino as well after the meal. So Mum and Dad both got a cappuccino, without any extra cost! (Regular price $3.89ea)

In regards to the decor of this place, I thought it was pretty cool. As I said earlier, it's really a big mix of American and Italian culture and it just seems quite welcoming. It's a bit of a weird way to explain it but I think the best way to describe the restaurant is that it's like one of those themed steakhouses (eg. Outback Steakhouse, Lone Star) except it serves Italian food. And nothing like any of the other restaurants at WDW. The theming of the restaurants at DHS is one of my favourite things about eating at the TS restaurants there

Also, the kitchen is like completely open and you can see it very clearly as you enter the restaurant, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind if guests walked over just to check it out before or after their meal. I like having the open kitchen, that way you can see what they're doing and see the condition of the kitchen

So all in all, we had a good experience at Mama Melrose's. We had a great server, the entrees were good (although be careful when asking for extra spice in your food and tell them to go easy on the pepper!) and the desserts were quite good, bar the red sauce that came with the cake. This was one of the places we wanted to visit on our last trip but didn't, and we're glad that we finally got to try it. I think we would visit again if we found ourselves looking for food at DHS, although we still have to try the Sci-Fi Dine In and possibly the Brown Derby and Hollywood & Vine!

One suggestion I would make is trying to book the Fantasmic! Dinner Package. The benefit of doing this is that you can get a seat for the show, and you are served a three course meal instead of a two course meal. On the DDP this package is only one credit, so it's like getting something for nothing! We didn't actually do the Fantasmic package because you have to call them and we couldn't be bothered to make an expensive international call just to book it so we saw Fantasmic ourselves and just made a regular online booking for Mama Melrose's. However, for guests based in the U.S., there really is no reason not to try for a reservation.

In terms of value for money this place really wasn't too bad. On the DDP we got reasonable value, while for those not on the DDP this place isn't as expensive as some other options and you do get a generous meal, and plenty of bread! So either way, I think if the food and atmosphere sound interesting to you, it's definitely worth a go.

After dinner we walked the short distance over to the amazing Osborne lights, an absolutely perfect ending to an awesome Christmas Day at Disney

Cost:

4 TS credits used - 12 remaining
Bill Total - $153.12 (avg. $38.28ea)
Running Total - $1882.69

NEXT UP: Lunch at the Magic Kingdom

Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #140
wdwfanatic316
Mouseketeer

Really loving your reviews!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #141
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootiss View Post
ok, the turkey sandwich and butterfinger cupcake look AMAZING!!
They were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfanatic316 View Post
Really loving your reviews!
Thanks for reading them!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #142
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Lunch in the Magic Kingdom - BRRRR!!

It was December 26th (Boxing Day for most Commonwealth Nations) and we found ourselves in the Magic Kingdom. The temperature was really low, probably mid to low 30s! And the wind wasn't helping much either! Anyways, DD had already said that he wanted to have a Turkey Leg for lunch at some stage so we decided that this was just about the last chance we would have to do it. DM didn't want a Turkey Leg and was more interested in having a hot dog, so we took her to Casey's Corner for a hot dog.

She ordered a hot dog combo with apple slices ($6.59), a 22oz lemonade to drink ($2.49) and for dessert, a chocolate brownie ($2.39). Casey's Corner is a fairly small place and they don't have too much seating, but we weren't planning on sitting there anyway so we just took the food and walked across to Liberty Square, where they had a turkey leg cart.

I think that currently this may be the only place stocking turkey legs at the MK, since the Lunching Pad has switched over to serving hot dogs instead. Either way, neither of them had any indoor seating so we would be braving the chilly cold!

There was a large sign at the cart saying that for 1 CS credit a guest could get a turkey leg, bag of chips, dessert and a drink. We all got a turkey leg ($7.59ea), a bag of chips (two potato chips and one nacho cheese, $3ea), a drink (two Dasani waters, one bottle of Diet Coke, $2.50ea) and for dessert, the only option was a cookie, which was fine with us. ($2.69)

It was a little strange, because this small cart seemed to be quite overstaffed! I think they had like three or four people just standing there, one running the counter and two or three just wrapping the turkey legs when they were ordered. By the time we had completed the transaction they were there holding the turkey legs and everything else out for us. Now if only some of the other places could offer that kind of service!

They have some seating right across from the turkey leg cart, I'm not sure if it's there for any restaurant in particular but no-one else was there so we just grabbed a table.

Below are some pics

A picture of everything but the turkey legs

And a turkey leg (sorry about the blurriness!)

The meal was as expected, it was fine. The turkey legs were warm and had a lot of meat on them. DM enjoyed her hot dog, although it wasn't a foot long or anything it was enough for her. The chips were good, as were the desserts. Mum's apples were alright, but they're just packaged stuff so I'm not sure how fresh it is. The good thing about having the pre-packaged stuff is that it is very easy to carry it around, so we took some of the cookies and bags of chips along with us to munch on during the day. We enjoyed the turkey legs so much that later on during the trip DD went back just to buy one as a snack.

The only problem I have with this meal is we had to sit out in the cold to eat it! My advice, nothing is worth sitting out in the cold to eat!

The value of the turkey leg meal was pretty decent (almost $16ea pre-tax), while the hot dog meal wasn't so great (about $11.50 pre-tax). However, I think for those that aren't on the dining plan (who probably wouldn't need dessert, a drink for everyone etc) paying $6.59 for a hot dog and fries or apple slices at Casey's is a pretty cheap lunch for MK! And at $7.59 for the turkey leg, that's not too bad for an OOP purchase either. We would probably recommend both meals to anyone, regardless of whether they have the dining plan. However, if you are looking for a lot of value out of your DDP credit, Casey's is probably not the best place to find it

Cost:

4 CS credits used - 12 remaining
Bill Total - $62.63 ($12.22 for the Casey's meal, avg. $16.81ea for the Turkey Leg cart)
Running Total - $1945.32

NEXT UP: Some snacks during the day then a Thanksgiving Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-07-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #143
MiraDawl
Mouseketeer

I am loving this entire review! Your honestly in discussing food, service, value & portion size is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm just waiting for your total dining plan cost vs. the value of food you ate. I haven't gotten a dining plan yet but still have time to decide. Thanks!!!
MiraDawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #144
jmm476
DIS Veteran

I've been reading your report over the last few days and I think you've done a great job writing it up! Your pictures are great too. I'm looking forward to the rest.
WDW Commando Member #75

No trip planned right now

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #145
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraDawl View Post
I am loving this entire review! Your honestly in discussing food, service, value & portion size is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm just waiting for your total dining plan cost vs. the value of food you ate. I haven't gotten a dining plan yet but still have time to decide. Thanks!!!
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I hope my conclusion will help you decide whether or not to get the DDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm476 View Post
I've been reading your report over the last few days and I think you've done a great job writing it up! Your pictures are great too. I'm looking forward to the rest.
Thanks for reading!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #146
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

The snacks of the day

Did I mention before that this was a cold day? I love having ice-cream in the Winter, but this day was just far too cold for one!

So we found ourselves at Casey's Corner again and used some snack credits on two 160z Hot Chocolates for Mum and Dad ($2.19ea) and a serving of French Fries for Rachel ($2.49)

Mum and Dad were happy with their choices. I think the hot chocolate was Nestle brand and it was sweet and good. It was also a decent serving size, which was nice considering the price. As for the fries, DS thinks that they were pretty tasteless and she had better fries at other CS places during the trip (eg. the fries at Columbia Harbor House). It was also a fairly small serving.

A little while later she picked up a churro from a churro cart in Fantasyland ($3.25). She didn't like that either . She thought that it didn't have much flavour to it, and that it tasted like cardboard. She was expecting something more fluffy in terms of texture. I suppose perhaps part of the problem is that these are being sold from a cart and are just being pre-prepared then heated for extended periods, although from our good experience at the Turkey Leg cart we weren't really expecting this. Another small point I should probably make here is that no sauce is provided with the churro. The chocolate dipper I think was like 50c or something, but that was an extra snack credit and what a waste of a credit that would be!

I didn't get any snacks today, I was planning on getting something at the Main St Bakery but the line was too long so we just left the place

Anyways, I think from this experience the only thing we can recommend is the hot chocolate. It is good and it is fairly cheap. Perhaps not the best value for someone trying to maximise their snack credits, but it's a pretty good OOP purchase. As for the churros and fries, we would probably avoid them

I'm sorry, but we didn't get any pics of these.

Cost:

4 snack credits used - 12 remaining
Bill Total - $10.78
Running Total - $1956.10

NEXT UP: Thanksgiving Dinner at LTT

Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #147
snowwhitefairest
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your dining report. Thanks for being so honest about the food. I think this will really help me plan our next trip. Also, you have me craving a turkey leg for lunch.
snowwhitefairest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #148
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

You just gotta love them turkey legs Have never been to Casey's Corner that I recall.
Can't wait to read about LTT, never been there either
Great job on the recent reviews

Almost forgot as of now we are planning on Mama Melroses Fantasmic Pkg, if I can book it

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #149
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhitefairest View Post
I'm really enjoying your dining report. Thanks for being so honest about the food. I think this will really help me plan our next trip. Also, you have me craving a turkey leg for lunch.
Thanks for reading, I'm glad you're enjoying the report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
You just gotta love them turkey legs Have never been to Casey's Corner that I recall.
Can't wait to read about LTT, never been there either
Great job on the recent reviews

Almost forgot as of now we are planning on Mama Melroses Fantasmic Pkg, if I can book it
We've been to Casey's at DL and WDW, although if I remember when we went to DL the hot dogs were footlong ones, not the case here.

I'll be writing about LTT tonight

And as for the Mama Melrose's package, I reckon it's good value if you're on the DDP. I'm actually surprised they're not asking for two credits, like they do for the Candlelight Processional! Even if you're not on the DDP, I think it's around mid-$30s so still pretty good!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #150
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Great updates. But even though we can't see you, you look so cold. Hope the weather warms up some for the rest of your trip.

Tags
counter service, dining plan, holidays, snacks, table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: