Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #121
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Christmas Eve dinner at Les Chefs de France

We have visited France a couple of times in the past and we have come to really enjoy French food, although it is a little hard to come by here in Australia! We have a few, but generally the 'French-ness' of their menus is limited to escargot and creme brulee . And the ones that actually serve real French food generally do not do it that well. So we were hoping that we would have a really good, proper, French meal here at Les Chefs de France.

We had a reservation for 7:30pm, although we arrived probably at some time around 7:20pm and we were seated straight away.

The restaurant looks very nice inside and it really is set up like an authentic French restaurant could be. There are lots of tables for two along the windows, which I think would be very nice for couples! The restaurant is very large and is sort of divided into two main areas, an inner area without much of a view and an outer ring, where guests can look out the windows. We were seated in the outer ring, although not right next to the window. We still had a view of the pavilion and the lake outside. The more interesting part of the view was the open dessert kitchen, where chefs were preparing the dessert and the waiters and waitresses were collecting them. It was pretty cool to see them flaming the creme brulees and preparing the other dishes.

Our waiter was Peter. I've forgotten exactly where he was from, but I think it was somewhere in the south of France or perhaps Paris, one of the two. We didn't see him too often, but overall he was a good server.

Below are some pics of the menu

The Prix Fixe three course menu was allowed for those on the regular DDP so Mum, Rachel and I went for that ($39.95), while Dad decided just to get the standard entree and dessert.

For our appetisers DM and DS got the Bisque de Homard (Lobster Bisque) and I got the Soupe a l'oignon gratinee (Onion Soup). For the entrees DS and I got the beef short ribs with pasta, DM got the fillet of salmon and DD got the beef tenderloin ($34.95).

To drink DS had a Sprite, DM had an Orange Juice, (soft drinks and juice were $2.95, although the sodas came with refills) DD had a glass of Chateau Mezain merlot ($9.50)

I'll start with the appetisers...

The Lobster Bisque

And the Onion Soup

Both of the soups were reasonably good. DS liked the lobster chunks, but not the actual soup. However DM liked the whole thing. I was fairly happy with my Onion soup, which tasted pretty authentic and had good, full flavour. However, I think the Le Cellier cheese soup is just a tiny bit better.

And then our entrees...

Salmon

Beef

Beef Ribs with Pasta

The entrees were reasonably good. DM and DD were fairly happy with their meals. DS and my pasta were also fairly good. The pasta itself tasted good as did the ribs, and I think the weakest part of the dish was the sauce. The sauce was heavily flavoured by the onions in the dish, and, to a lesser extent, the mushrooms. However, it was by no means a terrible meal and we were fairly happy. The servings sizes were also quite generous, considering it is a French restaurant. BTW, I thought it was kinda funny how each dish had a single lone cherry tomato

After dinner we ordered our dessert. DS had the profiteroles, DD had a crepe and DM and I had the Creme Brulee. (All desserts were $7.25ea) I was having it so I could make a comparison with Le Cellier!

Dad also ordered a Kir au Chassis to go with his dessert. ($7.25)

The Crepe

The Profiteroles

And the Creme Brulee

All the desserts were nice. The way DS's profiteroles was served was a bit different to what we usually see, where the ice-cream is on the side! DD enjoyed his crepe. DM and I enjoyed our Creme Brulee, although to be honest I preferred the Maple Creme Brulee at Le Cellier over this one.

In summary, Les Chefs de France was a great meal in its own right, however I think we all agreed that Le Cellier was the clear winner in this great battle. If we had been to Les Chefs on a different day, or before going to Le Cellier, we wouldn't have been able to make such comparisons and this review would have been far more positive. So I would recommend it, I would just have Le Cellier take priority over this place

In terms of value for money on the DDP, it was really good. This was the best value we got out of one TS credit for the entire trip, with all of our meals costing over $40 and that was pre-tax! If you are looking for making some money out of your DDP, then this is definitely the place! If you aren't dining on the DDP, I think your best bet may be the prix fixe menu, since there is a fair bit of choice within the prix fixe and since most entrees are in the $28-$35 range, it is just a few dollars more and you can have three courses! Even if you are on the DDP, the prix fixe is still a great option!

Cost:

4 TS credits used - 16 remaining
Bill Total - $186.22 (avg $46.55ea! That's almost the cost of one day on the DDP!)
Running Total - $1641.54

NEXT UP: A morning snack then a quick service lunch at DHS!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #122
disneydreaminA115
Long time lurker - coming out to play!

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!

*The evening star is shining bright, so make a wish and hold on tight, there's magic in the air tonight and anything could happen*

Grand Floridian Dec 2012 - The Sweetest Little Disneymoon Ever! **In Progress**
POP/POFQ Dec 2011 - Eating and Napping Our Way Through The World - A First Timers Black Friday Trip Report!
disneydreaminA115 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #123
HolidayRose
Mouseketeer

I am enjoying you reviews immensely. Your observation of the lone cherry tomato garnish made me
HolidayRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #124
serendipity
DIS Veteran

Love the reviews
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #125
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Great review! We're going to Chefs de France in August and can't wait-- that crepe looks so yummy!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #126
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreaminA115 View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your review!
Thanks! I'm glad to hear that so many people are enjoying the reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolidayRose View Post
I am enjoying you reviews immensely. Your observation of the lone cherry tomato garnish made me
Glad you're enjoying the reviews!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
Love the reviews
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Great review! We're going to Chefs de France in August and can't wait-- that crepe looks so yummy!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #127
juliebean
Mouseketeer

Great reviews - love the dessert pics! We have Asherkus scheduled for breakfast, Le Cellier for lunch and Les Chefs for dinner in April - you've reassured me about two of the three. I did think my daughters would really like to see Remy though, so I'm bummed he's not around at dinner - we love the Ratatouille movie. Great job!

Last edited by juliebean; 02-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.
juliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #128
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Just read through your reviews! Great job!! I think you helped me decide for Chefs de France, so thanks!!
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
amandaluvsgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #129
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebean View Post
Great reviews - love the dessert pics! We have Asherkus scheduled for breakfast, Le Cellier for lunch and Les Chefs for dinner in April - you've reassured me about two of the three. I did think my daughters would really like to see Remy though, so I'm bummed he's not around at dinner - we love the Ratatouille movie. Great job!
Glad to have helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaluvsgoofy View Post
Just read through your reviews! Great job!! I think you helped me decide for Chefs de France, so thanks!!
Thanks for reading! I'm glad my review helped you decide.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 PM   #130
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Some morning snacks

Nothing much to report here, we just picked up a Nesquik chocolate milk ($2.19) and four yoghurts ($1.95ea) in the morning.

There's a picture from an earlier visit in case anyone is interested

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post39764563

Cost:

5 snack credits used - 18 remaining
Bill Total - $10.64
Running Total - $1652.18

NEXT UP: Lunch at DHS

Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #131
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Christmas Lunch at DHS - Starring Rolls and Fairfax Fare

It was Christmas Day, and we were in search of some good ol' turkey and ham! Looking through the menus prior to departure we had decided that going to Starring Rolls for a ham or turkey sandwich would be a decent option for our CS lunch.

The Starring Rolls Cafe is located at the intersection of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard, next to the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant. The restaurant doesn't actually have an indoor seating area (at least, not one that I know of) and the only seating is outdoors, under large umbrellas.

The main items available for an entree at Starring Rolls are the sandwiches and the sushi. DD didn't like either so he went off to Fairfax Fare to get his lunch. DM, DS and I decided to get sandwiches ($9.19ea). The sandwiches are served with either a bag of chips or fresh fruit. We all went for the bag of chips

There were two types of sandwiches available, a Black Forest Ham sandwich and a Turkey Focaccia. DM and I went with the ham sandwich while DS chose the turkey sandwich. The chips were the standard Disney-branded packets, and there were probably three or four to choose from.

The best part of using a CS credit here is the wide array of desserts to choose from. This is something like a bakery after all and there are a bunch of premium things to choose from. DM chose a Fresh Fruit Tart ($3.29), DS chose an Eclair ($3.49) and I got the ever-popular Butterfinger Cupcake ($3.99). To drink DM and DS got a Nesquik chocolate milk ($2.19ea) and I got a Minute Maid Orange Juice ($1.89).

DD got the same thing that he got last time, a Chicken and Ribs combo ($14.19), a Chocolate Fudge Cake ($3.59) and a Dasani water ($2.50).

Now for some pics!

My entire meal

A close up of the ham sandwich

A close up of the turkey sandwich

DS' eclair

And DM's Fruit Tart

We were very happy with all the components of this meal. The sandwiches had plenty of meat, and also some salad which made us feel better about ourselves . I have read a lot of reports of complaints about the dressing on the sandwiches. For us, we found the dressing to be very nice, and we didn't feel like there was too much of it or anything. Perhaps they have cut down on the amount of dressing recently, which I am sure would please many people.

The desserts were magnificent. DS' eclair was large and she enjoyed it. DM really enjoyed her fruit cup. The fruit was fresh, the custard or cream underneath it was good and the tart itself was coated in a nice, fairly thick layer of chocolate. She really enjoyed it, but was quite full and unable to finish it! My butterfinger cupcake was truly out of this world. That outer, shell-like part on the top of it was quite crispy and without a knife it would have been a bit of a mess. Most of that mountain on top is heavenly icing. Generally I can't handle more than about a spoon of icing, but this icing wasn't overly sweet which meant that I was able to enjoy every single bite of it. The cake itself was also marvellous. It was fresh, soft and had a beautiful chocolate sauce hidden in the middle. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of the inside, but if you go to the Disney Food Blog, AJ has some excellent pics of the item. I really need to thank the Disney Food Blog for alerting me to this excellent dessert!

The chips were quite nice too. I was wondering what they would be like after Disney started selling their own brand of chips, but it still tasted great and the Disney-themed packaging is of course a bit of fun . We shared some of the chips during the meal and saved the other packets for later.

Dad was content with his Fairfax Fare meal, although really there was nothing different to report on the place from our last experience.

The Cast Members at Starring Rolls were also good. They were friendly and helpful, explaining everything to each guest individually. There were also permanent cleaning staff on hand outside. The Cast Member outside was very helpful and was taking things away as we were finishing them, providing us with more space to have our desserts and drinks. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of service provided at this counter service. Another benefit of the outdoor seating is that you have a great view of the Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard, where there always seems to be some form of entertainment. We could clearly hear the "Disney Channel Rocks!" show that was on at the Sorcerer's Hat, in fact we could hear it so clearly that when we heard Ernie D's voice (the guy from Radio Disney) we actually thought it was really him for a second!

All in all, we were very pleased with our lunch at Starring Rolls. Each component of the meal was good and we would return there again in the future. If people aren't interested in the sandwiches, perhaps the sushi might interest you. In relation to the dessert selection, there are just sooooo many items you could probably spend weeks there and still not get to try everything! It's probably a good idea to go there with a couple of friends or family, that way you can try a few different things! They also take snack credits for the dessert items, which could be useful if you aren't interested in the available entrees or just aren't that hungry.

In terms of value for money, you do get plenty of food and the food you receive is of a good quality. For those on the DDP, you could definitely find more expensive options elsewhere that would provide better bang for your credit (example, Fairfax Fare) but honestly even though this meal cost less, I think we got just as much, if not more food and at least personally, I enjoyed it more than Fairfax Fare. For those not on the DDP this could be a great option, for under $10 you've got yourself a sandwich and a bag of chips for later. It could also be a good option for people that aren't feeling too hungry, you could easily split a sandwich and the chips between two people and it wouldn't be too costly, either.

Cost:

4 CS credits used - 16 remaining
Bill Total - $69.11 ($21.60 for Dad's Fairfax Fare meal, $47.51 for our Starring Rolls meal (avg cost of each Starring Rolls meal was $15.84)
Running Total - $1721.29

NEXT UP: An ice-cream snack at Hollywood Scoops followed by dinner at Mama Melrose's!

Old 02-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #132
sbprincess
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your dining report! You are doing an excellent job with the descriptions and pictures. Keep it up!

Subscribing and looking forward to the rest

Oh, and I've been considering Raglan Road for our trip this Oct/Nov. I think your review has made that a definite. Thanks!

1984 - 2002 Many visits with family (off site) * May 2005 Girls' Trip - POP Century * March 2008 Honeymoon - All Star Movies * May 2010 - Contemporary Resort (Trip Report) * December 2010 - POP Century * October 2011 - Contemporary Resort & Universal Studios (WWOHP!) * November 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Dining Report) * March 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort * May 2014 - Boardwalk Inn & Contemporary Theme Park View * July 2014 - Grand Floridian Girls Trip!!!!**
sbprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #133
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Those sandwiches look amazing!!!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #134
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Hmmm, those desserts alone are worth trying to get a reservation at Chefs de France.

I'm glad you liked Le Cellier. We enjoyed it last summer when we went there for our first anniversary trip. They even gave us free champagne! However, I'm so disappointed that no one got the chocolate moose. He's just so cute!

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #135
rpbear
DIS Veteran

I am enjoying your dining reviews. This is a first for me to read dining reviews and this has me hooked. I can't wait to go to try the Butterfinger cupcake at Starring Roles.

Lucy

It has been too long since the last trip. Adding a ticker finally for my next trip.
rpbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter service, dining plan, holidays, snacks, table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: