Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #136
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Well I guess it could be worse and have the smart car and be cramped.
At least you can hang a car freshner. I need to find a can of lychees and give them a try. I would eat that before vegemite. Maybe I should do my own trip report as it just got interesting long before we leave in june.
Hmmm....perhaps we could try lychees with vegemite.....never.mind.

Someday, vegemite will RULE the world!

We never got round to getting a car freshner. We kept thinking of when we were returning it and somehow, the countdown just flew by. At the end, it was really obvious that we should have gotten that freshner instead of ignoring the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I see where this is going now with the Scavenger Hunt photos cleverly worked in...don't think I forgot our little discussion about Po Boys...I may be old but I haven't lost THAT much of my memory!
I have no idea what you mean!...

Actually, it was quite amazing how many of the scavenger hunt items just jumped out at me during this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I've never eaten at Bubba Gumps even though there is one close by.

I would never get into a Smart Car. They are so tiny & low to the ground. I hear they are very popular in Europe. But, here, where the high, high off the ground SUV is king, I would NOT want to be driving in a low to the ground Smart Car and have an SUV or truck not see me.

I'm guessing that you're thinking about the one at Times Square??
Usually full of tourists!

Smart Cars are also here in Oz. At least we see them on the road...we still could drive over them, though...

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #137
PrincessInOz
in

DTD at night rounds off Day 1...(3 parts)

Day 1 - Downtown Disney

It was a dark and gloomy night…err…day in Anaheim and I did care! Because…I was hoping to catch a shot of the San Gabriel Mountains, supposedly covered with snow. As franandaj had suggested, we had driven down the 91 to the 5 in the hopes of catching a picture of a top of snowy mountain (with real snow). But it was so gloomy that you could have sworn that there were no mountains in “them there hills”.

But it was still warmer in the Anaheim winter than when we left in Melbourne summer and the boys had decided that a dip in the hotel pool was in order.

I didn’t feel like getting wet and so consoled myself with the fact that I was here!

I eagerly walked down to the main entrance past the bus pick up point...

..and made it past security and into the promenade area between Disneyland and California Adventure…where I soaked in the ambience of being back on a Disney property.

The reminders for World of Colour were everywhere! I know that its sad to admit this…but I was excited just to see the reminders of exactly where I was and why I had come to DLR.

I was also intrigued to see the changes to the entrance of DCA and whilst I didn’t take a picture of the Pixie Dust excuses, I missed the colour of the C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters out the front.

My destination for the night was fast approaching.

I took some time to take pictures of the DTD shop signages

But I wasn’t aimlessly meandering….I was really aiming for here.

I had decided to go check out the Grand California Resort main lobby as it presented a wonderful photography opportunity.

And I just loved seeing the fireplace with crackling fire in operation.

Whilst I was in the lobby, I got a call from the boys. They had finished their pool fun and had made their way to the DTD zone as well. So we arranged to meet in the lobby.

I’m still wondering if this was a mistake….as I had problems pushing BOTH boys out of the lobby.

So with one last look at the crackling fire…

I bribed the boys to move ….with the promise of food!

I pushed them out towards the bright neon lights of an old favourite of mine…

….and bought a serve of sugary fatness delights! Beignets!

And just so there are no mistakes about it….they were delicious!

Since the Princess and the Frog movie, this treat has become even more highly sort after than ever and I was intrigued to check out the manufacturing process for beignets.

The CM rolled the dough real thin and sliced them with a pizza slicer..

…she picked them up…

…and placed them in the deep fryer!

But at $10 for the mix, I think I might just google a recipe at home and make it myself!

We were well satisfied with this treat. None of us were super hungry but hey! Opportunity knocked.

(Continued in next post)

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #138
PrincessInOz
in

DTD at night rounds off Day 1...(2 of 3 parts)

(Continued from previous post)

After being fueled up, the boys knew exactly where they wanted to hang out…

And they were NOT budging!

So, they went into the Lego shop….

….and I left them after a while to meander the shots…er…shops.

I made my way here…

..and took a look at the person at work making more sweet things.

I always enjoy the smell of this shop…there is nothing that quite fills those nostril hairs of mine than the intoxicating scent of just-starting-to-burn sugar. You know what I mean….that smell that travels into your nose and tickles the senses all the way down to the top of the tonsils and just past the throat. It is *almost* (but not quite) as addictive a thought as thinking about chocolate. So, with my nose firmly leading the way, I walked in and salivated over the delectable delights!!

I looked at the jelly belly candy jars. Did you know that there is no Peppermint flavour JB @ MC?

And after my October trip to the World and spending time in the Kuche Karamel shop, I now have such fond memories about DisneyFirefly’s caramel apple that I couldn’t resist taking this shot either.

My favourite snack to get in MC is the macadamia turtles. So I got one (or six) of them to go, with a marshmallow covered chocolate stick and one of those toffee apples.

With my lovely treats in hand, I headed back in to the Legoshop to see if the boys were ready for a round-up…

Not just yet!

Thankfully for me, there was a great drummer putting his musical instruments in use near the Rainforest Café.

The rat-a-tat-tat drew me closer to listen. I really enjoyed his performance.

(Continued in next post)

Old 02-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #139
PrincessInOz
in

DTD at night rounds off Day 1...(3 of 3 parts)

(Continued from previous post)

It was still only about 8.00 pm and by this stage, the boys were ready to leave the Legoshop; but still had a bit of energy left in them.

We found something to amuse us not too far away from the drummer. I don’t know what the cast member tending the stall must have thought of us but we sure had fun trying on the different hats on offer.

I spotted a Floyd Turbo or Mad Bomber Hat in the mix..and DS was a willing model for me.

It was nearly 8.30 pm by this stage and we were all fading fast. At this stage, we had hit the 35-hour mark without much sleep and it really was time to head back.

But there was one more stop to make along the way.

DS and I both picked up either a Build a Dino or a Build a Bear ..and this particular model made it home with me.

The boys were getting to that scrappy stage.

And everything just seem a little fuzzy to me…

..We were all seeing Mickey’s everywhere! Some hidden…

Others…out in the open.

We made it safely back to the Inn where we just flaked out!

The end of a long but satisfying first day.

Up Next – Our one and only day at a Disney Park

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 02-04-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #140
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Its getting better by each post. Cant wait to see pics from inside Disney. All the yummy sugary treats. YUMMY!!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #141
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

i NEVER noticed that Hidden Mickey in the sign of Marceline's and we go there to buy one (or six) of the Chocolate Marshmallow sticks every time we go to DLR, which recently has been at least once a month!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #142
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

What a lovely update; you are a very good photographer!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #143
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Quote:
i NEVER noticed that Hidden Mickey in the sign of Marceline's and we go there to buy one (or six) of the Chocolate Marshmallow sticks every time we go to DLR, which recently has been at least once a month!
Sure rub it in. Well you are just going to have to buy us something and send it our way. I'll let you know what I want we I see all the other pics.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #144
shushh
DIS Veteran

Action packed first day as expected with lines and all! I've been looking at the not so obvious "hidden" mickey for a while and I still can't see it...

Love the photo of your DS upside down and of the traffic light. Classic!
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #145
DisneyFirefly
I wind up insanely itchy and liable to break skin
I'm definitely a walking information desk when it comes to MK

I can't wait to be there!

Follow The Bouncing Ears 10/10 TR/PTR | 10/10 Pop 2008-09 CM 11/06 Offsite 2004-05 CP/First Visit
Me DBF
DisneyFirefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #146
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Really good stuff. I also enjoy walking into DLR when I get to Anaheim. Your photo journey helps me relive my past delights.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #147
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Fantastic photo's I have just been showing them to my kids and they are just bursting with excitement at the thought that they will soon be there too! Your photography has really brought DTD alive for us.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #148
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Its getting better by each post. Cant wait to see pics from inside Disney. All the yummy sugary treats. YUMMY!!
Thank you. Too much sugar is not good for you...so you're gonna have to wait until Lunch before I dole out anymore!

Quote:
Next time you go, check out the Hidden Mickey's here as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
What a lovely update; you are a very good photographer!
Thanks!

Quote:
Sure rub it in. Well you are just going to have to buy us something and send it our way. I'll let you know what I want we I see all the other pics.
If I thought sugary fatness would ship to Oz well, I'd be letting her know what to get me too.
On second thoughts, maybe I'll just go slap some more icecream on my thighs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Action packed first day as expected with lines and all! I've been looking at the not so obvious "hidden" mickey for a while and I still can't see it...

Love the photo of your DS upside down and of the traffic light. Classic!

Mmm. The curl at the bottom of the M forms one ear. The curl at the top of the C forms the other ear. The 'flourish' that makes the start of the C is the big circle...

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
I can't wait to be there!
Not long now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Really good stuff. I also enjoy walking into DLR when I get to Anaheim. Your photo journey helps me relive my past delights.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll stick around for the rest of my TR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Fantastic photo's I have just been showing them to my kids and they are just bursting with excitement at the thought that they will soon be there too! Your photography has really brought DTD alive for us.
Excellent! I always like it when kids jump up and down....especially when sugar is involved .

Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #149
PrincessInOz
in

What happened to the ‘Must Do’ Rides? A Goofin’, Hangin’ and Shootin’ Around Mornin'.

The Happiest Place on Earth!

Today was Disneyland Day! The Happiest Place on Earth.

After the long Groundhog day getting to Anaheim, I was deep in DreamLand when the alarm rudely went off at 7.20 am.

Wait…that was another TR…and a 50-minute earlier rude awakening!! It might be a different holiday and state, but nothing much had changed.

DH and I got back to the room last night and decided that an alarm to wake us up was in order. Afterall, we only had this one day at DLR and we had decided that with the list of ‘must-do’ rides to get through and not much time to do it. So, we set the alarm as “protection” as we didn’t want to chance an unexpected and unplanned…..sleep-in.

So, with no chance of a sleep-in, I got up, got ready and faced the breakfast buffet at RI. There was a heap of other people making the stampede for the buffet and I knew I was on a hiding to none trying to get in the middle of the herd to take pictures. So I opted to take a picture of my breakfast plate instead.

We then headed out into the beautiful, crisp day and looked out to see this….

YES! My top of snowy mountain, with real snow.

Despite our dawdling DS, we got going and made it to the Guest Relations window by 9.15 am. This was a new experience for us as we normally go to a standard ticket box and purchase our tix. But we were going to have lunch at Club 33 today and were following instructions provided by our hosts.

After confirming our names, we had our park hopper tix issued for the day.

DH and I turned to head towards Disneyland and the Mountains…..when the curve ball came!
DS had decided that he wanted to get on the swinging gondolas in DCA instead of starting in DL. And he was not budging from this. This was NOT part of DH nor my plan nor any family discussions we had before the trip. Right! NOT.Right!

With that ‘look’, DH and I decided to play ball and we headed into DCA. Afterall, we did have a list of rides to do at DCA and we were flexible….er…somewhat. On the way in, we stopped to pick up fast passes for Soarin’ when DS decided to Goof around….

I’d forgotten how tall Goofy is….

… or is that…I’d forgotten how vertically challenged I am??

It was still pretty early in the morning and DS was still rubbing away the sandman from his eyes….

…When he was enticed by some DisneyCast Members into just hanging around.

Definitely having a swingin’ ole time!

..psst. Take note of his t-shirt…more later.

We were sad to see that one of our favourites at DCA was indeed left high and dry.

But we knew that before coming and decided to grin and bear it.

I was anxious to keep going and had obviously forgotten one tiny little detail…It was only still 9.45 am and the schedule opening time was 10 am (winter hours).

Yes…I made yet another rope drop!

It was very evident that Tinkerbell was really busy to the right of the pier...and that entire section was closed. I guess that sometimes it is possible to have too much Pixie Dust.

We all rushed to the left of the pier…

..which was where EVERYONE was heading. And I knew why…but first I had to do some real fast-talking to DS. With my motor mouth non-stop, I herded us into a detour.

DH was also happy with the change in plans. Contrary to appearances, he really is a PRINCE!

DS, on the other hand, was not so happy with the change in plans….he could see his destination! X marks the spot.

This was strictly walk-on at this time of the morning. We loaded into our vehicle and went in..

This is normally an attraction that….well…I SUCK at. Even DS can beat me hollow. Everything normally looks like this to me!

But in October at the World, DisneyFirefly gave me some pointers…

… and surprising, I found that I was better at seeing clearly in this attraction. At least I knew where to aim and where to shoot.

And I still found time to take a couple of the other kind of shots inside..

Surprisingly, I was also getting better at this kind of shooting inside dark rides.

And when we came out…

..I was even more surprised to find that my score was over 119,000. Not great…but respectable. More the point, I beat BOTH the boys…..and someone was NOT happy about it.

Score One to Me!

(Continued in Next Post)

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #150
PrincessInOz
in

(Continued from Previous Post)

Games of a Different kind equals Mischief!

After the Midway Madness, we headed for DS’ choice ride pick. With no queues at all, we bundled ourselves into a swinging Fun Wheel gondola.

We’d last been on the big swing in 2007 and I was looking forward to reacquainting the pit of my stomach with the bottom of my lungs.

The view is pretty good and I took the opportunity to nab some shots. I must admit that I only had eyes for one spot.

…Slightly to the right of the yellow fire hydrant.

I eventually spotted the nearby snowy mountain.

Um…apologies for the slight out of focus picture. Not only was I playing with manually focusing the camera here, but this was the moment of the biggest drop slide and it was all downhill from here for me. I hope that no one out there reading this was at the DCA on this morning…that loud person screaming like a girl who wasn’t on Screamin’….well, that was me, first time down AND second time down.

So, much as my stomach and lungs enjoyed the experience, I was really pleased to be back on solid ground again…getting off the Fun Wheel! And it is OFF!

We came out right by the Boardwalk Games…

…and DS had obviously decided on a very different agenda to the one that DH and I had planned. He wanted to go FISHING!

I’ve checked my Must Do List in the PTR….definitely don’t see any Fishing on the list.

So, whilst the boys were fishing, I looked towards Screamin’ and decided to try my luck on my own kind of boardwalk games....the kind that involves patience and a steady hand.

Turns out the boys had their own patience and steady hands success at Fishin’ and came back with these beauties for their 10 minutes work.

We walked right past Screamin’…both boys looked at it…and then chickened out! Let me repeat that again. They.chickened.out!

That list of ‘must-do’ rides? Well, it was sure being turned given a whirl around today!

DH saw me eyeing off the carousel photo opportunity and suggested that we get on…Nope…this one isn’t on the ‘must do’ list either.

Still, from my viewpoint it wasn’t all bad…

…even with the low spin cycle effect turned on.

By this time, our Soarin’ FP window had opened up and we headed back.

I stopped to take a look at a Disney Menu as I have long term plans of eating here someday…

…Thank Goodness I did! Because out of the corner of my eye, I noticed some colour and motion in A Bug’s Life. We snaked in to find some old friends, waiting for anyone..someone to walk up (no queue!!).

I’ve raised my DS right. He could tell his Dale…

from his Chips…

…and THEY could smell Mischief in the air….

I hope you paid attention to the 'Mickey Hug Me' T-shirt DS was wearing this morning.

Chip N Dale were a very happy couple of chipmunks that morning…especially when they KNEW someone else has spied that T-shirt DS was wearing.

The Duck came over to check it out and he was NOT Happy!

I think we can all guess what was going to happen next when DS wandered over to him…and these pictures say it all!

I LOVE the Duck…and for once….the protective lioness in me did NOT care that someone was pushing my DS around (and out of the picture of me and my Duck!).

One of the best ever and funniest character interactions we’ve...er I've..experienced!

(Continued in Next Post)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: