Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #31
pmw1718
Earning My Ears

I liked the Sword and the Stone... Though I like most everything that has to do with Arthur and Merlin
pmw1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #32
sailorstitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kies99 View Post
SACRILEGE!!! HEATHEN!!! WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK AND BURNING TORCH?!?!?!

Just kidding...

My 7yo Daughter would like to speak to you about Stitch. He's her all-time favorite character and she sleeps with at least 3 different Stitches each night (she probably has 8-10 different stuffed Stitch's).
*I* have something to say about that! Lilo & Stitch is the BEST Disney movie of the past decade! I'm going to be Lilo for Halloween this year. I have at least 20-30 plushes of Stitch.

sailorstitch
sailorstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #33
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad bishop View Post
everyone remembers the princess movies like beauty and the beast, the little mermaid, etc. Disney has released some dogs, though:

Oliver and company - my personal favorite of the worst disney movie of all time. When i first heard about it i thought: It's based on oliver twist. The story has been written. How could the screw it up? Well, they did. I have a hard time even following the movie.

home on the range - recent, but crap. I rented it and gave up about 20min into it.

chicken little - another one where it seemed like a good idea. The story was written for them already. I think the problem is that the story, at best, makes for a 30-min tv special (incl commercials).

treasure planet - i saw it. Don't remember what it was about other than some space version of treasure island. That's pretty bad, imo.

Atlantis - another one where i thought: Maybe the story isn't written but it seems like there's enough myth/legend there that you could make an interesting movie. Nope. The only thing i remember (if i'm remembering it correctly) is michael j. Fox voiced the lead character.

fox and the hound - probably starting to enter controversial territory here. My daughter loves this movie. I remember it from the 80s and i remember thinking how people seemed to love this movie but after seeing it, while not as bad as the others, it's still kind of a yawner.

The great mouse detective - this was one when i first heard about it i thought: Sherlock holmes with disney animation!! What could go wrong? You could do all sorts of cool things. The problem was - they didn't. It's not horrible-horrible (like many don bluth movies) but it's down there.

Sword in the stone - this one got panned when it first came out. I've always enjoyed it. I like the idea. I like how merlin teaches wart. I think it's pretty good but, yeah, i agree it's not on the same scale of other disney movies.

Aristocats - 101 dalmations with cats! (and no story) i've seen this one a few times and i get lost in it - but not in that good/magical way. More in the what the... Way..

Rescuers - this one was probably targeted at me and my youth. I liked it back then because it was a disney movie but, looking back, it's pretty bland. Rescuers down under is better but not up to the same measure of other disney movies.

Make no mistake - i'm not bashing all disney movies here. I find it amazing that snow white still holds up after 80+ years. Sleeping beauty, cinderella, etc. All good movies that have stood the test of time. I'll even admit that while i really didn't care for lion king it does seem to have lasting appeal.

It just occurred to me the other day that some of these dogs are forgotten. Really - who things of treasure planet or atlantis when they're thinking about watching a disney movie?

Thoughts? Arguments? Additions?
i bolded what i agree with you on. i love fox and the hound and also like aristocats. im iffy with chicken little. i also like the rescuers but hate the sequel. i am not a big fan of the little mermaid or peter pan 2 return to neverland.
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
916chipndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Fantasia....except for the Night on Bald Mountain scene.
I actually saw this at a movie theater when it was rereleased several several years ago. I slept alot except for Night on Bald Mountain and also the Sorcerers Apprentice.

Now Fantasia 2000 was alot better with creating visually stunning scenes...flying whales in the beginning and at the end both featured outstanding music and wonderful imagery.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #35
McIntoshTx
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post
Everyone remembers the princess movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. Disney has released some dogs, though:

Oliver and Company - My personal favorite of the worst Disney movie of all time. When I first heard about it I thought: It's based on Oliver Twist. The story has been written. How could the screw it up? Well, they did. I have a hard time even following the movie.

Hey now Oliver & Co had a sweet soundtrack at least

Home on the Range - Recent, but crap. I rented it and gave up about 20min into it.

Agree it was not great but not crap in my book.

Chicken Little - Another one where it seemed like a good idea. The story was written for them already. I think the problem is that the story, at best, makes for a 30-min TV special (incl commercials).

Pretty weak movie

Treasure Planet - I saw it. Don't remember what it was about other than some space version of Treasure Island. That's pretty bad, IMO.

I like it overall

Atlantis - Another one where I thought: Maybe the story isn't written but it seems like there's enough myth/legend there that you could make an interesting movie. Nope. The only thing I remember (if I'm remembering it correctly) is Michael J. Fox voiced the lead character.

Same as Treasure Planet, I enjoyed it overall

Fox and the Hound - probably starting to enter controversial territory here. My daughter loves this movie. I remember it from the 80s and I remember thinking how people seemed to love this movie but after seeing it, while not as bad as the others, it's still kind of a yawner.

Not my cup of tea

The Great Mouse Detective - This was one when I first heard about it I thought: Sherlock Holmes with Disney animation!! What could go wrong? You could do all sorts of cool things. The problem was - they didn't. It's not horrible-horrible (like many Don Bluth movies) but it's down there.

Average movie

Sword in the Stone - This one got panned when it first came out. I've always enjoyed it. I like the idea. I like how Merlin teaches Wart. I think it's pretty good but, yeah, I agree it's not on the same scale of other Disney movies.

Classy movie

Aristocats - 101 Dalmations with Cats! (and no story) I've seen this one a few times and I get lost in it - but not in that good/magical way. More in the what the... way..

Cats are horrid animals so........

Rescuers - This one was probably targeted at me and my youth. I liked it back then because it was a Disney movie but, looking back, it's pretty bland. Rescuers Down Under is better but not up to the same measure of other Disney movies.

Pretty good movie for the kids

Make no mistake - I'm not bashing all Disney movies here. I find it amazing that Snow White still holds up after 80+ years. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, etc. all good movies that have stood the test of time. I'll even admit that while I really didn't care for Lion King it does seem to have lasting appeal.

It just occurred to me the other day that some of these dogs are forgotten. Really - who things of Treasure Planet or Atlantis when they're thinking about watching a Disney movie?

Thoughts? Arguments? Additions?
Overall I think we have a lot of the same taste in flicks!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #36
benny02
Earning My Ears

Wow! Now that's a very good informative post. Thanks!
benny02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #37
Aladdin + Abu
Horsing Around!

Since Tangled is Disney's "official" 50th animated feature, in spite of the fact the Disney has produced several other animated theatrically released movies which include A Goofy Movie, several Pooh movies, and a few others not on the list, and some on the list that have live action footage in addition to animation, this is a good time for a list like this. Of the ones I don't care for, some of those even have a few bright spots, which I will indicate. Here's my list Good, the Mediocre and the bad and ugly (in order of release, a separate Pixar list will follow) :

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

Pinocchio Classic Disney, Great Story Great Music, Great Characters

Fantasia Classic Disney, Disney Expanding standard boundaries,

Dumbo Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

Bambi Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

Then there were a series of short stories, pieced together, primarily done this way in large part to WW2. I personally don't recognize these as real movies, as nothing pieces these short together. Some of these shorts I like, some I don't, but without a full cohesive story, each short should really be rated individually. Since it's hit and miss with most, I'm rating these mediocre.

Saludos Amigos

The Three Caballerros

Make Mine Music

Fun and Fancy Free

Melody Time

The Addventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Back to proper movie form, Disney begins to bring back the great stories and characters!

Cinderella Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music

Alice in Wonderland Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Characters

Peter Pan Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

Lady and the Tramp Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

Sleeping Beauty Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Characters

101 Dalmatians Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

The Sword in the Stone Just doesn't stand up to all the other one story Disney Animated Movies, not bad either but doesn't rank as high

The Jungle Book Classic Disney, Great Story, Great Music, Great Characters

The Aristocats 1st Animated feature done without Walt. Still Classic, Great Musice, and Great Characters, although it does seem similar to 101 Dalmatians, done with cats.

Robin Hood[COLOR="lime"] This movie seems to drift further away. The story just doens't pull together very well, although it does have some great characters. I personally, did not like the music in this feature at all. It's borderline between did not like and mediocre, but leans more to didn't like.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Disney Brings in the Pooh, Great Song, with a different look, separate stories but all enjoyable, and with the same group of characters,

The Rescuers Just didn't like the story much, nor the limited music.

The Fox and the Hound Didn't like the story or the characters. And couldn't stand the music.

The Black Cauldron Disney tried to appeal to a different group, and just lost it's way this movie.

The Great Mouse Dectective Another unusual attempt, just didn't like the overall story. Sadly, even with Vincent Price as the voice of the Villain, this animated feature still didn't work.

Oliver and Company Once again, another unusual attempt ( at least they kept trying ) but the story was overshadowed by too many musical stars and pop song with voices in the movie. This rates between didn't like and mediocre.

The Little Mermaid Classic Disney has returned! Great Music, Great Story, Great Characters!

The Rescuers Down Under Temporary fallback, just didn't like the story. Characters were ok, but the original movie just didn't warrant a sequel.

Beauty and the Beast Classic Disney! Great Music, Great Story, Great Characters!

Aladdin Classic Disney! Great Characters! Great Music! Great Characters!

The Lion King Classic Disney! Great Characters! Great Music, Great Characters!

Pocahontas Animation is ok, Music is ok , but just didn't like the overall story and character.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame Animation ok, some music ok, story was bad, and some parts of the story are so offputting, (namely the singing gargoyles) this movie crash lands in the dumpster. Poc and Hunch turned away many of the fans Disney had built up over the previous 5 years, and Disney began to struggle with several of it's features, but with fewer BIG successes.

Hercules Love the Story, and the inventive way they designed the characters, great music, great story, great characters, including another Fantastic Villain!

Mulan Another Great Story, Great Music,

Tarzan Another Great Story, Great Characters (exception of Terk) Good Music (with the exception of Trashin the Cammp)

Fantasia 2000 Revisting Walt's most experimental Theatrical releases. Beautifully done.

Dinosaur CGI Dinos with Real compiled backgrounds. But awful story. This movie at one time was not considered as a Disney animated feature, perhaps because of the real compiled backgrounds that were used. It should have stayed off the official list. It's a stinker..

The Emperor's New Groove Completely different type of humor for this movie that got great word of mouth, in spite of Eisner avoiding practically all advertising for the movie. Great Story, good music. Disney didnt have this much fun since Aladdin or Junglebook.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire Didn't like the story or the characters, appeared to copy of the plot of Fox's Titan A.E.

Lilo and Stitch Great Movie, with a character that immediately became a breakout hit.

Treasure Planet Great Movie, inventive take on a old classic story. I love taking out this movie, perhaps because it's one of the few with a male character, rather than a princess or an animal. Spectacular animation, with a great combination of a futuristic look with a familar old fashioned look.

Brother Bear As much as I wanted to like this animal movie, I couldn't stand the story of the characters. And didn't like the music either.

Home on the Range Story was fair, but couldn't stand the cows as main characters. Didn't like the animation design of the cows, horses and bulls noses. However, in spite of the horrific heroes, the music for this moooovie (sorry) was among the best ever written for any Disney Animated movie. And the Villain and his assistants are among the most entertaining, with his yodelling. Sounds odd, but villain nearly saves the movie.

Chicken Little Didn't care for the story much, it was among the very first movie to be released with the newer 3D technology. But it did show, if the story isn't that great, even if it's 3D, people won't come to see it. Also, the first Disney feature in complete CGI.

Meet the Robinsons Good but chaotic Story, Mediocre Music.

Bolt Good Story, Ok Music, the hamster was more of a breakout character and overshadowed the dog. Some scenes have a good moment here and there, but the overall story is just not good enough to make it among disney top group of stories.

The Princess and the Frog Good Story, Good Characters, Music is done very well.

Tangled Great Story, Great Characters, Unfortunately, the Music is just not that great, a couple songs are borderline good, which is surprising for Alan Menken, so used to having great stuff from him all the time. Still the story, characters, villain, make this a great movie!

PIXAR

Toy Story

A Bug's Life

Toy Story 2

Monsters Inc.

Finding Nemo

The Incredibles

Cars

Ratatouille

WALL-E

Up

Toy Story 3

Last edited by Aladdin + Abu; 11-13-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Aladdin + Abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #38
garer32
Earning My Ears

I had fun reading the posts here. Made me remember a lot of movies I forgot about. Man, am I that old already(21)?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #39
rawpower
Earning My Ears

You know, looking at the OP, the only ones I can agree with are The Great Mouse Detective and The Rescuers. Not that any of these movies aren't good, because they are, but some just aren't as good. Some I just automatically hate. The ones that I hate by default are anything CGI that isn't done by Pixar excluding DINOSAUR. We'll see if Tangled breaks that pattern. Most sequels I don't like. I liked Oliver and Company, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Hunchback, and Hercules. Hercules and Oliver and Company are probably two of my most favorite Disney Movies. Gah, I hated Home on the Range so much. Terrible.

rawpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #40
DisneyCrazy915
I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street USA....

I agree with you with just about all of them, except for Oliver and Company (one of my favorites as a kid), The Fox and the Hound (super depressing, but I also loved it as a kid), and Rescuers (that song makes me cry to this day).

The only others I think are terrible are the direct-to-video sequels. They're just awful! Only ones I like are Return of Jafar, King of Thieves, and The Enchanted Christmas. Animation wise, I have no idea how those measure up, but story wise I enjoyed them.

Favorite non-classics: Meet the Robinsons, Hercules, The Emperor's New Groove, Tarzan, and A Goofy Movie.
Actually it's polished marble. -Prince Naveen (Princess and the Frog)
DisneyCrazy915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #41
MinnieRx85
Earning My Ears

I swear the scene where Kronk is singing his own background music against the wall is one of the flippin' funniest things I have ever seen in my life....Patrick Warburton and David Spade is the funniest animation duo out there! I keep hoping for a Emperor's 2 although sequels are not my friend...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #42
Rekenna
DIS Veteran

I have to say the movie I have been most dissapointed with was the recent, "The Princess and the Frog." If I hadn't known ahead of time I never would have guessed this was a Disney movie. I was really looking forward to watching this-I love Beauty and the Beat and Little Mermaid is one of my all time favorite animated movies-but Princess & Frog?-not anywhere near in the same class.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #43
chessie
DIS Veteran

I hated the squared off drawing of the characters in Atlantis. The story was fine, OK, but it was hard to watch. “Doug’s 1st Movie”, now that one was really bad. I don’t think the Gkids have ever watched it. I keep suggesting it but they say naaaa. Sorry “Lilo and Stitch” fans. I didn’t like the way the characters were drawn in that one either. I didn’t care for the little guy either. Not sure if I have ever watched “Black Cauldron” or “Sword and the Stone “all the way through. I keep falling asleep. Now the worse one in MHO was” Gepetto” with Drew Carry. Was “Bed knobs and Broomsticks” a Disney movie? Now that was a real snoozer.
chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #44
kristina87
I'd rather die tomorrow, than live a hundred years without knowing you

I hated Lilo and Stitch. I don't really get the whole Stitch thing, I think he's weird and I really didn't like the animation. I agree that the Fox and the Hound, Bambi and Dumbo are almost too sad to watch but I really like the animation.

Never saw Home on the Range, Chicken Little (and never will, ugh), Brother Bear, Treasure Planet, The Incredibles, Meet the Robinsons or The Hunchback. I would like to see the Hunchback and Brother Bear sometime, I think I'd like them. Everything about The Incredibles turns me off so I don't think I'll ever watch it, but I'm not a huge fan of most Pixar movies for some reason..

haven't seen Tangled yet but looking forward to it, I loved Princess and the Frog and Bolt!

Check out my blog!

http://http://thedisneybtches.blogspot.com/

kristina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #45
MadiPan
All it takes is faith and trust...oh! And something I forgot - dust!

I agree with with everything on your list except for The Fox and the Hound.

Personally, I didn't like The Lion King. At all. But I'm one of the very few who think that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: