Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Talking DH is a mailman...neither snow nor rain-Jan '11 TR (UPDATE 3/31)

This was our family's fourth trip to Disney, and each trip gets better and better.

Me (38) teacher, nerd, Disney geek:

DH (40) mailman, jeep lover, Disney lover:

Our twin daughters (9 in a week) 3rd graders, love thrill rides, yet sit on floor of ITTBAB:

As the title implies, our departure was not without obstacles...

Chapters (most recent first):
Trying to Delay the PTR - two more souvenirs
Souvenirs
Time to leave
Park Hop to ride one ride and back to MK
MK morning
Last day - Monorail ride and Poly Breakfast
Opinion of OKW
All that drawing, I'm hungry!
Still morning, more to do
Shopping at Keystone Clothiers
"Today's early morning was required - Hollywood Studios! (Not that we aren't early birds every other day!)"
Morning Adventures at HS (which really means three rides)

Day 2 OKW arrival
Day 2 - Part 3 AK
Day 2 - Part 2
Day 2 - Animal Kingdom
January 27 Evening
Swimming in January - Jan 27 afternoon
Memories with Chip and Dale
What could be better than waking up in Disney? Jan 27

Our Arrival Jan 26
Day before and day of departure Jan 25 & 26

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 03-31-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I'm here! Can't wait to read!!
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Day before and day of departure

As many of you know, once reports of the rain moving into the area would actually be 5 to 10 inches of snow, I was able to change our flight. We were scheduled to leave at 6:40 pm on Wednesday night, and I was able to change our flight to 11:20 am. (We considered the 6:40 am flight, but the forecast was messy in the morning with a lull after rush hour before the evening storm.) I have to give credit to my friend's husband. He texted her to tell me that we were looking at a bad forecast. (His plan was to razz me...)

Jan 26

We woke up to snow and calls informing of school delays. We headed out to FIL's house for our ride to the airport. FIL's house is 30 minutes away from us and 15 minutes from the airport.

DH was driving my swagger wagon...commercial interruption that you MUST watch for a GREAT laugh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

road near our home:

local highway:

After about 2 miles down the road, we both considered that his 4 wheel drive jeep with suitcases on our laps would have been the better choice.

Not sure if we would make it to the airport...

Of course, I put the camera away and didn't get the shot of the car flipped on the side of the road.

We made it to the airport by 9:50. (Trip took 45 minutes longer than usual...not too bad all things considered!) Hopped into the line to check luggage inside because the curb side line was about ten deep and it was cold! Standing in line the airline board kept showing cancellations. The 1:20 to Orlando (with 1 stop) was cancelled. Southwest kept updating everyone on the cancellations. At one point, someone from Delta came on and said that most likely no one was going to get anywhere. UGH! We stood in line for an hour. With each announcement my stomach kept flipping. I felt like if we could just get to the counter, we would go. The employees reported major computer problems. Then, one employee began to update and said something to the effect of "Okay, go ahead and start crying now..." He wasn't being mean; he was trying to make light of the situation. I struck up a conversation with the man in front of me who was also traveling to Orlando. When he went up the person told him the connecting plane wasn't here yet, so he had plenty of time. We went up to the next person, and she said the plane was still on time. We checked bags and went up to security. Went through security with a brief hold up over one bag.

The terminal was pretty empty with the cancelled flights...

Finally, we went to the gate to find that we were boarding the plane (it was now 11:10.)

We boarded and found 3 and 1 seats together and sat.

The flight attendant came on and said we were waiting for a flight from Pittsburg to fill the plane. So, we sat for two hours. They finally boarded, we headed for de-icing. My daughters had an awful time while we sat, but as soon as we took off, they were perfect angels. I really wasn't aggitated. I knew we would make it to Disney.

Five hours later, we were at MCO!

Last edited by disneydreamingdebby; 02-01-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

So glad you made it! Can't wait to hear more!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

Wooo Wooot! You are tricky! We knew you went! Can't wait to hear about the relief that you felt once you were in the air and on your way!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Have a great trip. Cant wait to hear more.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Great start!! The pics looking outside the window look a little scary! We have ice right now so it's not good at all! I thought the snow was bad..the ice is worse!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Can't wait to read about it! Looks like you guys were SO stressed on that drive! What were the girls doing???

Are we there yet???
2000 CR Garden Wing
2004 All 4 parks in one day

2010 FW Cabin

2011 FW rented 5W

2012 Pop Century

2013 Castaway Cay (Disney Dream)
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

I updated my post with the plane details and more pics... sorry that I didn't take care of it in one shot. I didn't realize the pics weren't uploaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
So glad you made it! Can't wait to hear more!
We were so relieved! Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
Wooo Wooot! You are tricky! We knew you went! Can't wait to hear about the relief that you felt once you were in the air and on your way!!
I didn't think I could fool anyone but I wanted to build some anticipation! I have to get caught up on your Sept PTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Have a great trip. Cant wait to hear more.
Welcome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Great start!! The pics looking outside the window look a little scary! We have ice right now so it's not good at all! I thought the snow was bad..the ice is worse!
We had snow last week...tonight ice is forecasted! I hope to keep power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsmom View Post
I'm here!

Can't wait to read about it! Looks like you guys were SO stressed on that drive! What were the girls doing???
Hannah kept asking about the time...I told her she was making me nervous! Otherwise, I really don't know. They were quiet.

Hey - I saw a ticker!!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Here! Now, I am going back to read!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I've never had to experience delays for snow (living in Louisiana). I'm so glad y'all made it out of the airport without your flight being cancelled. Looking forward to hearing how sunny Orlando was.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamingdebby View Post
Hey - I saw a ticker!!
Why yes, yes you did! Hoping to pull out another trip to the Fort! Our back-up is Pop just in case. It's about 1/2 the price to stay there as the cabins, sooo.... it all depends on if we get any discounts!

Sounds like the airport was a mess!!! I can imagine that the ONLY time I wouldn't mind sitting on the plane for 2 hours is if I knew I would be off to Disney!

Are we there yet???
2000 CR Garden Wing

2010 FW Cabin

2011 FW rented 5W

2012 Pop Century

Old 02-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran

How's the weather treating you, Debby? Our winter storm warning expires this evening, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was headed in your direction. School's closed again today, and we'll see how we do tomorrow. I think I heard we got an inch and a quarter of ice to an inch and a half all together depending on which side of Indy you're on. But we never lost power! I hope you had the same luck!!!

October 2012 Trip report

Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
mgsmom
DIS Veteran

Yes - how are you? The pictures on the news look just horrible!
I hope you guys have power, heat, and some Disney pics to look at!

Are we there yet???
2000 CR Garden Wing

2010 FW Cabin

2011 FW rented 5W

2012 Pop Century

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
disneydreamingdebby
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Here! Now, I am going back to read!
Glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I've never had to experience delays for snow (living in Louisiana). I'm so glad y'all made it out of the airport without your flight being cancelled. Looking forward to hearing how sunny Orlando was.
All of our friends were quite worried for us- the forecast called for rain for days. Then, bam! Ahhhh sun in Orlando; I miss that. The sun reflecting off snow just isn't the same!

Quote:
Why yes, yes you did! Hoping to pull out another trip to the Fort! Our back-up is Pop just in case. It's about 1/2 the price to stay there as the cabins, sooo.... it all depends on if we get any discounts!

Sounds like the airport was a mess!!! I can imagine that the ONLY time I wouldn't mind sitting on the plane for 2 hours is if I knew I would be off to Disney!
I hope you can get a deal; I know how much you love the Fort! If not your DD will love Pop!

The line to check luggage was unbelievable after we checked in. Those poor people not only had a heck of a line, but it was a line to find a new flight no less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
How's the weather treating you, Debby? Our winter storm warning expires this evening, but I'm pretty sure it's because it was headed in your direction. School's closed again today, and we'll see how we do tomorrow. I think I heard we got an inch and a quarter of ice to an inch and a half all together depending on which side of Indy you're on. But we never lost power! I hope you had the same luck!!!
We've kept power, thankfully! We had a 2 hour delay and then a day off (power outages and closed roads).

Jen, how's the masters coming?

Quote:
Yes - how are you? The pictures on the news look just horrible!
I hope you guys have power, heat, and some Disney pics to look at!
No worries, luckily, we kept power. I had six little girls playing school yesterday instead of going to school, though. I heard some instruction on fragments, so they continued right where they left off the day before!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: