Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #91
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

A mid-afternoon snack at DHS

Just a quick post here, I'll post the Raglan Road dinner review later this evening

While we were at DHS, DS and I went and got a Mickey's Premium Cookies & Cream Ice-Cream Sandwich ($3.50ea tax inclusive). We just bought these at one of the ever-present snack carts, this one was just outside the ToT. Mum and Dad also got a coffee to share from the KRNR Station, just outside the Rock'n'Roller coaster. ($2.19)

Nothing to complain about here, they were fairly decent value for a snack credit and tasted pretty good. Perhaps the next time I visit a snack cart I might have one of the Mickey Premium Bars instead

If you're interested in having a slightly more 'premium' ice-cream then I suggest checking out Hollywood Scoops, which, funnily enough, was just across the road from this snack cart Over there you can get a two-scoop cup or cone for the same snack credit, except here the cost of the snack is $3.89 plus tax, making it $4.14. It may not be so much more expensive, but as I said, it's probably a bit more 'premium' than just picking up an ice-cream from one of the carts. We actually visited Hollywood Scoops on Christmas Day, so I'll review that separately later.

Oops, I almost forgot the pic! Here it is

And it tasted even better in the cold weather!!!

Cost:

3 snack credits used - 26 remaining
Bill Total - $9.33
Running Total - $1125.03

NEXT UP: A quick snack at POFQ then off to dinner at Raglan Road!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 07:21 PM.
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #92
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Beignets!

Just a quick post here before I move onto the report on Raglan Road.

We decidedd that from DHS we could take a bus to POFQ and then go on to DtD. This had two purposes, one, to get a chance to ride on the Sassagoula River on the boat and two, to have some beignets!

So within minutes after hopping off the bus at POFQ we were at the Sassagoula Floatworks and standing in line for beignets.

Beignets of course are completely unknown here in Australia. We had just seen them on a Samantha Brown Travel Channel show recently so when I heard that POFQ had them I knew we had to make an attempt to get there.

We decided to get the serving of three beignets. This is considered a snack serve. They were prepared completely fresh right in front of us by some very friendly Cast Members.

These beignets were absolutely divine. They were much bigger than I thought they would be and although the icing sugar on top nearly choked us to death and then clung to our clothes until we could wipe it off, it was totally worth it. I envy those who stay at POFQ and get to have these every day!

I think that since we had to transfer somewhere to get to DtD anyway, transferring at POFQ was a good option for us. We got to try an absolutely magnificent snack, AND we got to take a fun boat ride

Sorry, no pics of these beignets. The only thing that really illustrates them is this smiley...

Cost:

1 snack credit used - 25 remaining
Bill Total - $3.18
Running Total - $1128.21

NEXT UP: A review of Raglan Road!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2011, 05:53 AM   #93
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

A fun Irish dinner at Raglan Road

We hopped off the boat from POFQ and went straight to Raglan Road, arriving at 8:10pm for an 8:45pm reservation. They gave us a buzzer and looked around in the Irish souvenir shop until we were called about ten minutes later to sit.

Our server was a young guy named Patrick. He was pretty good, he gave us recommendations from the menu and kept our drinks filled. However, he did seem to disappear for long periods at a time, which was a little strange since the only tables he seemed to be serving were the ones around us.

To drink DM, DS and I had Diet Coke ($2.50ea) and DD had a Glass of Cabernet Sauvignon ($9). A serving of soda bread with a sweet Guinness reduction came out with the bread to dip it in. Both the bread and the reduction were very nice, and in my opinion, better than just getting some plain bread rolls.

For our entrees DM and DS had "It's Not Bleeding Chowder" ($24), DD had the Serious Sirloin Steak ($27) and I had the Mighty Mixed Grill ($28).

Here is the 'chowder'. It's got a bunch of seafood and potatoes in a white wine infused cream broth. Both DM and DS absolutely loved this dish! DM kept suggesting that we go back for more, so she must've liked it!

Dad's Sirloin steak. It's a 10oz steak with an Irish whiskey glaze, basil oil, mashed potatoes and crispy onion rings. He really enjoyed his too.

And here's my dish, the Mighty Mixed Grill. I really liked this dish, as I got to try a variety of things. It had a lamb chop, Guinness banger (sausage), a piece of sirloin steak, black pudding, a chicken drumstick and some bacon. They were all served together on a skewer on a bed of scalloped potatoes. Everything was absolutely delicious (even the black pudding!) and I would have it again if I returned. If you are looking to try a variety of different things, this is the dish that I would recommend.

One of the bonuses you get by dining at Raglan Road is the entertainment, included in the cost of your meal with NO cover charge. They had a live band playing Irish music, as well as one male and two female Irish dancers. These dancers sometimes danced on the stage where the band played (when the band left for their break) and at other times they danced on a smaller stand in the middle of the dining area. It was fun to watch and both the band and the dancers were pretty good!

As you can see in the background, there are some Christmas decorations they've got up!

After our entrees Patrick brought out dessert menus

All the desserts are prices at the same price, $7.99. DM decided to have the Moore Street Market fruit basket which was served with yoghurt and honey, DD got the Bailey's Creme Brulee and DS and I got the Bread and Butter Pudding. I had read about this all over the internet and I absolutely had to try it!

Here's the fruit basket. DM was shocked with how big it was, but she said it was very sweet and nice. I reckon that this dessert could probably be shared quite easily between two or three people.

Here's DD's Creme Brulee. It looks a fair bit different to our other Creme Brulee's but it was nice!

And here is DS and my Bread and Butter pudding. Words just cannot explain how good this was. I am not usually a huge fan of bread and butter puddings, but this was just spectacular. It was good on its own, but with the two sauces (one was vanilla and the other was caramel or butterscotch, thanks to PixieDustandEeyore for letting me know! ) it was just amazingly good. It was a very large serving too! If I wasn't so full, I would definitely have ordered another one.

They say in their description of the bread and butter pudding "Like no other pudding you have ever tried. Believe us". DS and I definitely believe it!

So all in all our experience at Raglan Road was highly positive. There was nothing to complain about. Patrick was a reasonably good server, the entrees were very good, the entertainment was very good and the dessert was EXCELLENT! I think that Raglan Road is definitely one of our top TS experiences during our trip and we would all be very happy to return again in the future. I think it represents pretty good value on the dining plan, and even for those not on the dining plan I think that the combination of good food and included entertainment makes this a really great place to dine. If you haven't given this place a try yet, please consider taking it somewhere close to the top of your "To-Do" list!

Cost:

4 TS credits used - 24 remaining
Bill Total - $151.72 (avg $37.93ea)
Running Total - $1279.93

UP NEXT: A quick snack in the morning then off to Le Cellier for lunch!

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:07 AM   #94
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed watching the entertainment at Raglan Road as well during our meal - and that bread and butter pudding truly is amazing . Glad to see you enjoyed it as well!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #95
AlisaMom
Mouseketeer

Great report! Thank you

Waiting for updates!!!

Last edited by AlisaMom; 02-01-2011 at 08:12 AM.
AlisaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #96
dvc4life
Disney is my Happy Place

Raglan Road has been a hit and miss for us. One time good, one time not so good. But your DD's steak looks so delicious. I could go for it right now! And those dancers are just awesome. We were fortunate enough one time to sit right at one of the tables by that little stage they dance on. Fun times.

Can't wait for your review of Le Cellier. We have yet to eat there.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #97
juliebean
Mouseketeer

Great job

Wonderful reviews, and such a cute family - although you look startlingly like my son's friend - to the point where I have to do a doubletake everytime I see a picture you're in!

We'd love to try the Cape May Buffet, but I am not familiar with how close it is to Epcot... We'd be going at the end of a full day with our 5 & 8 year old girls, I am concerned it might be too much of a walk. (Our son and his HS band are playing at DW, son he'll be with his buddies that day.) Do you think it would be too far for their tired legs? However, they do love seafood, so that might get them walking!

Look forward to the reading about the rest of your visit!
juliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #98
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
We really enjoyed watching the entertainment at Raglan Road as well during our meal - and that bread and butter pudding truly is amazing . Glad to see you enjoyed it as well!!
Oh that bread and butter pudding was definitely something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaMom View Post
Great report! Thank you

Waiting for updates!!!
Thank you for reading! Hopefully there will be an update later today

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc4life View Post
Raglan Road has been a hit and miss for us. One time good, one time not so good. But your DD's steak looks so delicious. I could go for it right now! And those dancers are just awesome. We were fortunate enough one time to sit right at one of the tables by that little stage they dance on. Fun times.

Can't wait for your review of Le Cellier. We have yet to eat there.
One time I sat at a table near the dancers, not at Raglan but at a place in Ireland. It was actually quite scary, they were doing their kicks right over my head!

Hopefully the Le Cellier review will be posted later today

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebean View Post
Wonderful reviews, and such a cute family - although you look startlingly like my son's friend - to the point where I have to do a doubletake everytime I see a picture you're in!

We'd love to try the Cape May Buffet, but I am not familiar with how close it is to Epcot... We'd be going at the end of a full day with our 5 & 8 year old girls, I am concerned it might be too much of a walk. (Our son and his HS band are playing at DW, son he'll be with his buddies that day.) Do you think it would be too far for their tired legs? However, they do love seafood, so that might get them walking!

Look forward to the reading about the rest of your visit!
Hi Julie,

I guess one of the first concerns is where you will be in Epcot. The 'International Gateway' exit as they call it is located between France and the UK, so if you were somewhere in that part of the World Showcase it would only take a couple of minutes to get there. However, if you were at Spaceship Earth it could take some time!

I would say that the walk from the International Gateway exit to the Beach Club wouldn't be any more than 1/2 mile, tops. Probably more like 0.3mi or 0.4mi. We did this walk very slowly and it didn't take us longer than about eight minutes. I think the Beach Club/Yacht Club are probably the closest ones to Epcot.

However, if the walk from the exit to the resort is a problem, they have the boat service called the Friendship launch. However this would probably take more time than walking, and even taking the boat you still have to do a bit of walking.

Personally, I think that the walk should be fine. It really wasn't too long, and if your girls have been alright walking around in the park this really shouldn't be too bad

Old 02-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #99
PixieDustandEeyore
DIS Veteran

the sauces are creme anglaise (vanilla sauce) and caramel or butterscotch (cant remember which!)
Great reviews ive been following along! My family lived in Australia for 3 years
PixieDustandEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #100
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

OMG, everything from the chowder, steaks, and your mixed grill look amazing. We have been debating on trying this place, my DH really wants to try the bread pudding. He loves the stuff, I'm not a fan but I will taste it just so I can say that I tried it. LOL

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #101
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

We have been trying to decide between WGPE or Raglan Road if we go to DTD this trip, I have to show DH the pic of "The Mighty Mixed Grill" I think he would love that.

I do have a question ? What is the black pudding?

Great review once again......Thanks

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #102
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDustandEeyore View Post
the sauces are creme anglaise (vanilla sauce) and caramel or butterscotch (cant remember which!)
Great reviews ive been following along! My family lived in Australia for 3 years
Thanks for letting me know! I'll update the review with that information

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess aleya View Post
OMG, everything from the chowder, steaks, and your mixed grill look amazing. We have been debating on trying this place, my DH really wants to try the bread pudding. He loves the stuff, I'm not a fan but I will taste it just so I can say that I tried it. LOL
Oh I'm not a big fan of bread pudding either, but this was just amazing! I reckon if you've been thinking of trying this place, give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
We have been trying to decide between WGPE or Raglan Road if we go to DTD this trip, I have to show DH the pic of "The Mighty Mixed Grill" I think he would love that.

I do have a question ? What is the black pudding?

Great review once again......Thanks
WGPE and Raglan are both great restaurants. I guess it depends on what you want. Just keep in mind that it is probably best to make an ADR for Raglan as soon as you know when you are going, just in case they fill up. You could always cancel it and go to WGPE!

As for the black pudding, it is very popular in the British Isles and all across the British Commonwealth. It is also known as blood pudding or blood sausage, as basically what they do is cook blood until it is thick enough to solidify as it cools. It is usually mixed with oatmeal or some other sort of filler to thicken it up. It is a common breakfast item in the UK and Ireland.

At this point I'm not sure if you're reading in horror or liking the sound of it, but it really isn't as bad as it sounds! I haven't eaten black pudding too often, but I reckon that this was one of the better ones. I didn't find the taste to be as strong as it is in the British Isles, so perhaps they've watered it down a bit for the American palate. It's sort of got a sausage-like texture, sans the meat.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #103
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aviator View Post
Thanks for letting me know! I'll update the review with that information

Oh I'm not a big fan of bread pudding either, but this was just amazing! I reckon if you've been thinking of trying this place, give it a go!

WGPE and Raglan are both great restaurants. I guess it depends on what you want. Just keep in mind that it is probably best to make an ADR for Raglan as soon as you know when you are going, just in case they fill up. You could always cancel it and go to WGPE!

As for the black pudding, it is very popular in the British Isles and all across the British Commonwealth. It is also known as blood pudding or blood sausage, as basically what they do is cook blood until it is thick enough to solidify as it cools. It is usually mixed with oatmeal or some other sort of filler to thicken it up. It is a common breakfast item in the UK and Ireland.

At this point I'm not sure if you're reading in horror or liking the sound of it, but it really isn't as bad as it sounds! I haven't eaten black pudding too often, but I reckon that this was one of the better ones. I didn't find the taste to be as strong as it is in the British Isles, so perhaps they've watered it down a bit for the American palate. It's sort of got a sausage-like texture, sans the meat.

Ah , no not reading in horror in fact my mother who was of English/Irish decent use to speak of blood sausage, if I had thought about it some it might have dawned on me what it was. Thanks for the explaination.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 AM   #104
Hootiss
cheese and crackers

Gotta love that bread pudding, it is definitely one of my favorite desserts Everyone's dinner looked great. I am really enjoying your reviews. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #105
haven_alise1997
Mouseketeer

Enjoying the reviews. Seeing about the Cyclone hitting Australia, hope you and your family are safe.
Me DD14
haven_alise1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter service, dining plan, holidays, snacks, table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: