Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #136
lexmas
DIS Veteran

Look at you, still posting. I'm so impressed! I may have already given up on my TR, and I haven't been at it half as long as you have! I am so glad though, I love reading it! Another great update!

I am happy to hear that all of your kids liked Lights, Motors, Action! We didn't go last time, and I'm hesitant to go next time, because I wasn't sure if the kids would like it.

And I completely forgot about meeting Lightening and Mater! J.J. would LOVE that. I will have to ask directions though, because I have no idea where they are. Are they on the map?

How cute is the baby in his 3D glasses? haha I love it!

Is it bad that I didn't even know there was a parade at DHS? I'm glad you got to see it though, I love the parades! I hated them before I had children, but now I am a parade person!

Fantasmic might just be a bad end to a long day. That was our experience as well. Maybe if you could see it fresh and rested, it would be better!

So glad you are still updating! I was so happy to see that e-mail notification arrive in my inbox!

Hoping to take a trip this year, but also contemplating buying DVC, which would involve skipping this year and using that money for the downpayment. We'll see where the year takes us.

Me- DH- DS (5)- DD (2.5)
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #137
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmas View Post
Look at you, still posting. I'm so impressed! I may have already given up on my TR, and I haven't been at it half as long as you have! I am so glad though, I love reading it! Another great update!

I am happy to hear that all of your kids liked Lights, Motors, Action! We didn't go last time, and I'm hesitant to go next time, because I wasn't sure if the kids would like it.

And I completely forgot about meeting Lightening and Mater! J.J. would LOVE that. I will have to ask directions though, because I have no idea where they are. Are they on the map?

How cute is the baby in his 3D glasses? haha I love it!

Is it bad that I didn't even know there was a parade at DHS? I'm glad you got to see it though, I love the parades! I hated them before I had children, but now I am a parade person!

Fantasmic might just be a bad end to a long day. That was our experience as well. Maybe if you could see it fresh and rested, it would be better!

So glad you are still updating! I was so happy to see that e-mail notification arrive in my inbox!
I know! Can you believe I'm still updating this?! Two days from now is the 1 year anniversary of the start of this trip!! I finally put the photos in the album yesterday and am determined to finish this TR! Are you leaving on Friday for your next trip? I've been thinking about you! (And Rick and I had a lovely time in Florida. We decided not to travel down to Epcot but just enjoyed the Gulf Coast. I ended up being gone a full week, rather than 4 days, due to the ice storm in Atlanta. I sure did miss the kids!)

Lights, Motor, Action! is loud, but if you think your kids can handle that then I think they would enjoy it. Lightening and Mater are on the map, but even with the map AND directions we had a hard time finding them!

I wasn't a parade person before I had kids either, but my kids absolutely love parades so much (even our pathetic town patriotic parades) that I can't help but love them now as well.

I'd love to see an update to your TR as well, but completely understand if you can't get to it (especially if you're heading out again this weekend!). I hope to get another update up soon.

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
October 26th - November 7th 2011 ~ Off site ~ Second Family Trip
January 26th - February 4th 2010 ~ Off site ~ First Family Trip
April 2004 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2002 ~ Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #138
MImommy
Earning My Ears

Cheryterese and Lexmas, you must both keep posting your TRs! I'm hooked.

Cheryterese, I just came over after seeing your signature on one of Lexmas' TR postings. I have gained so much great information about touring WDW with a toddler from you.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the hardships your family has gone through this year.
1990 (off property) - 1997 (off property) - 2003 POP - 2004 (off property) - 2005 POP - 2006 (off property Why do I keep falling for family member's condos) - 2007 WL / Disney Honeymoon - 2008 POP, 2011- off-property

ME, 32DH, 32 DS, 18months
Old 02-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #139
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MImommy View Post
Cheryterese and Lexmas, you must both keep posting your TRs! I'm hooked.

Cheryterese, I just came over after seeing your signature on one of Lexmas' TR postings. I have gained so much great information about touring WDW with a toddler from you.

I'm so sorry to hear about all the hardships your family has gone through this year.
Awwww, thank you so much! My father-in-law died the day after Christmas, so that was hard. We are trying to get back on our feet for a better year this year! It's a good thing we took that trip to Disney last Jan/Feb because our year really did go downhill after that. I'm so glad you are reading, and I am working on another update now!

February 6th - February 12th 2013 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~ Mom's Birthday Trip!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #140
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Day 7: Back to the Magic Kingdom!

We were very excited to be returning to the Magic Kingdom for the 3rd time as this park was definitely the favorite with our kids. Rick had taken Caryn to the airport early this morning and was back just after 8am for us to load in the van and head out. It was a humid day in the mid-60's and there was an all day on and off rain. We didn't let the rain dampen our plans one bit and just carried on as scheduled.

We walked off the monorail just as the opening ceremonies were ending and headed straight back to Dumbo again. We were hoping for a repeat of our first day at the Magic Kingdom with a wonderful morning of rides in Fantasyland and we weren't disappointed. We walked right on to Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight and then Winnie the Pooh:

After that it was right on to the Carousel:

From there we walked right on to Snow White's Scary Adventures and then over to Goofy's Barnstormer where Sam rode 5 times in a row without getting off! It was an amazing start to the day.

After Sam's Barnstormer marathon we decided to take a break from the rides and try to meet Minnie at The Judge's Tent. Ever since Madeleine and I had toured Minnie's house earlier in the trip, Madeleine had been mentioning how Minnie hadn't been home then and how she really wanted to meet Minnie. Like I think I mentioned before, my kids have always been afraid of the characters we'd seen at places like Chuck E Cheese's and such so I hadn't planned any time in our touring plans for characters, but we had been so fortunate with being able to ride so much that we felt we could take a break and take the time now that we saw they were interested. After all, this trip was for the kids and our little girl wanted to meet Minnie Mouse!

The line at The Judge's Tent was definitely the longest one we waited in the entire trip, but we hadn't planned for it so we tried to be patient. As soon as we got to the first door, Madeleine asked the cast member, "Is Minnie here?" The CM told us she didn't know and said the characters were always changing. Rick and I crossed our fingers and got in line. Sam was very happy watching the movie clips they had up on the screen in the front and Matthew was happy on Rick's shoulders:

Madeleine was very impatient! Halfway through the line we saw another CM and she asked again if Minnie was there. We got the same non-commital response and Rick and I explained to Madeleine that Minnie might not be there, that it might just be Mickey. In a very loud and indignant voice she responded, "I don't care about Mickey! I want to see Minnie!" Needless to say, we were really hoping that Minnie was around! After about a half hour wait we were excorted to a room. Rick and I said silent prayers of hope for Minnie and in we walked. Here is what we saw:

Hooray!!

Poor Mickey Mouse was passed right over as Madeleine ran to Minnie! She was one very happy little girl. Mickey didn't have much better luck with Sam and had to practically pull him over for a picture:

I felt bad for Mickey!

Once things calmed down a bit we all posed for a picture and I love this one that we got:

A happy moment for sure!

Still to come: The magic continues!

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-01-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #141
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'm glad you're back! I was enjoying reading about your families adventures! I sounds like you had a perfect morning in the MK! We don't usually travel in the late winter, but maybe we should reconsider, it looks like you had no trouble with crowds.

The family photo with Mickey and Minnie is wonderful! I'm so glad Minnie was there to meet your little girl!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #142
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm glad you're back! I was enjoying reading about your families adventures! I sounds like you had a perfect morning in the MK! We don't usually travel in the late winter, but maybe we should reconsider, it looks like you had no trouble with crowds.

The family photo with Mickey and Minnie is wonderful! I'm so glad Minnie was there to meet your little girl!
Thanks! It really was a perfect morning! Crowds were light during our trip anyway and then I think the rain that day kept even more people away. We really did love our late January/early February trip and would definitely travel at that time again. Now that our oldest has started school we're thinking about mid November for our next trip. He would have Veteran's Day off and 2half conference days so we could still do a long trip but he wouldn't miss as much as late winter and we would hopefully still enjoy lighter crowds. We felt the crowd levels for our Jan/Feb trip were ideal. I hope to get another update up soon! Thanks for reading!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #143
MImommy
Earning My Ears

Sounds like your day at MK went much better without all the extra family members and texting! I loved your idea of eating lunch at Tom Sawyer Island. I have never been over there! What is it like? Is there a place to get food if we don't pack it?
1990 (off property) - 1997 (off property) - 2003 POP - 2004 (off property) - 2005 POP - 2006 (off property Why do I keep falling for family member's condos) - 2007 WL / Disney Honeymoon - 2008 POP, 2011- off-property

ME, 32DH, 32 DS, 18months
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #144
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MImommy View Post
Sounds like your day at MK went much better without all the extra family members and texting! I loved your idea of eating lunch at Tom Sawyer Island. I have never been over there! What is it like? Is there a place to get food if we don't pack it?
Yes, MUCH better! The rest of our day, that I am working on updating, was very nice as well. I was so happy to get back to "just us". I'm afraid I'm not very patient with group travel!

As far as Tom Sawyer Island goes, a lot of people love it but I have been over there twice (once with just dh and I on our honeymoon and then this trip with the kids) and I felt like it was a waste of time. There's a lot of room to run around, a couple of fun bridges, some caves to explore and a playground we found at the very end with some picnic tables. I thought my kids would like it more than they did, but they really just wanted to ride rides and weren't really into it at all. Maybe when they're older? I think I will skip it for the trip we hope to take this November and then maybe try when we go again two years after that.

I can't remember if we were allowed to take our stroller over on the raft for our 18 month old, but there was a lot of time over there that dh spent holding him (caves and such) and that was hard. The raft ride was also hard with the kids. They really pack people on and the kids were scared, especially our oldest who has the sensory issues.

It WAS a nice place to eat our lunch. There were some vending machines at the dock area, but I think it was just drinks. There wasn't any food to purchase that I could see. My in-laws were going to get their food to go and bring it over after they forgot to pack a lunch, but for some reason that didn't work out for them. I think you could probably do that though. There was a place very near the Tom Sawyer dock (down the hill on the left as you walk away from the dock, I think) that they ate at. I don't know why they didn't end up bringing it over. The plan was to find the playground/picnic area and enjoy a relaxed lunch while the kids played, but that didn't work out! Good in theory, I guess!

Thanks for reading!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #145
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Day 7 (continued): More magic in the Magic Kingdom

After Madeleine finally met Minnie, we decided to head over to Tomorrowland. We passed by the Mad Tea Party on the way over and who did we see riding but the Queen of Hearts:

and the Rabbit:

We had to take a ride too, of course!

We were then on to Tomorrowland. I took Madeleine and Matthew on the Transit Authority while Rick and Sam rode Space Mountain and then we switched. After that we did the Carousel of Progress. I can't say it was a huge hit with the kids, but Rick really wanted to do it (it had been closed on our 2 previous trips before we had the kids) and they didn't seem to mind it. They all loved it when the theater moved, and Sam loved the dog in every scene.

We went to a store in that area next so the kids could pick out a treat. When we came out we were unsuccessfully trying to figure out how to open Madeleine's tinkerbell topped candy when a mysterious voice started instructing us on how to do it:

PUSH!! You can clearly see the CM with the remote control in the picture, but we did not notice him at all in the moment. PUSH talked to the kids for a long time about Madeleine's candy and our double stroller and they got quite a kick out of it. So fun! (Sam had picked out a Goofy sour cherry candy in the store, which he later said was the favorite part of his day. Kids!)

We rode Buzz Lightyear next:

Even though it was still a bit before noon we decided to head back for naps. We had gotten a lot done that morning and since Matthew had thrown up again overnight (forgot to mention that earlier) we figured a nice long rest would do him good.

We let Matthew sleep all afternoon in hopes of getting rid of his sick tummy once and for all while Sam and Madeleine napped as well and then swam with us. We had ADR's at Boma for 5pm but ended up cancelling them and just had dinner at the rental house. Matthew was still napping at the time we would have needed to start getting ready and we just didn't want to wake him. I was sad to miss out on Boma, but hopefully next trip!

After our leisurely afternoon and early evening we headed back to the Magic Kingdom with the main purpose of seeing the Spectro Magic Parade. We had just enough time to squeeze in rides on It's A Small World, Peter Pan (had picked up FP's that morning), and Big Thunder Mountain RR (had picked up FP's for that earlier as well) before we needed to find spots at the end of the parade route by BTMRR around 7:15 (parade began at 7pm). There was hardly anyone waiting in the roped off areas and we found a nice spot easily.

Pluto led the parade and came right over to see us. He got High 5's from Sam and Madeleine, but Matthew, as usual, wanted nothing to do with him!

The parade was enjoyed by all:

We walked out to Main Street to enjoy Wishes Fireworks once again and our magical day in the Magic Kingdom was concluded.

Still to come: Our trip is almost over, but not before our first visit to the Animal Kingdom where Mommy and Matthew are sick. Sigh.

Last edited by cheryterese; 02-22-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #146
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

I just finished uploading my Animal Kingdom photos to photobucket, so will hopefully have the next update soon!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #147
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'm sorry that you had to miss your Boma ADR, but I hope little Matthew was feeling better. How awful that his tummy was still acting up!

I'm also happy to see that you ran into Push! I just love him and I hope we meet him on our next trip. I think DS is getting to just the right age to enjoy watching him.

How fun too that the Alice characters were riding the mad tea party, I've never seen that before! I must never be in Fantasyland at the right time. Come to think of it, I'm almost never in Fantasyland. I'm thinking that is all going to chance now that Everett is starting to understand more and more.

Nice pictures of Spectro! I'm always meaning to take pics, but then I get so caught up in just watching, that I forget there is a camera in my hand. Oh well, they'd probably turn out blurry anyway. Someday I'll figure out the settings for my camera.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #148
cheryterese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I'm sorry that you had to miss your Boma ADR, but I hope little Matthew was feeling better. How awful that his tummy was still acting up!

I'm also happy to see that you ran into Push! I just love him and I hope we meet him on our next trip. I think DS is getting to just the right age to enjoy watching him.

How fun too that the Alice characters were riding the mad tea party, I've never seen that before! I must never be in Fantasyland at the right time. Come to think of it, I'm almost never in Fantasyland. I'm thinking that is all going to chance now that Everett is starting to understand more and more.

Nice pictures of Spectro! I'm always meaning to take pics, but then I get so caught up in just watching, that I forget there is a camera in my hand. Oh well, they'd probably turn out blurry anyway. Someday I'll figure out the settings for my camera.

Matthew's tummy troubles were to continue, unfortunately. More to come on that!

It's funny about PUSH - I had written on our daily MK itineraries to keep an eye out for him anytime we were in Tomorrowland, but then forgot about it completely. Seeing him was purely by accident. Such a fun surprise!

I think you will find yourself in Fantasyland more and more as your little one gets older!

I'm glad you liked the Spectro pictures. I have a lot more, but I didn't want to bore anyone!!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #149
lbuzz52
DIS Veteran

just joining in and way behind- but i wanted to say i love the haircut! what a great memory. we get to do that next trip too!
sam had a great age/ height for this trip! dd was 40" fo rthe last trip, and was able to ride a ton. she has three she is looking forward to this next trip- space, everest, and tower of terror. i was most worried about space (i love tower) but it seems that it was the easiest.
looking forward to more!

May 2011 CBR TR. October 2012 POR PTR . May 2011 PTR.
Oct/Nov 09 TR

Contemporary 1986 Contemporary 1988 Polynesian 1989 Disneyland 1998 Disneyland 2008 Saratoga Springs 2009 Caribbean Beach 2011Port Orleans Riverside Princess Room 2012 Caribbean Beach Pirate Room 2013 Disneyland 2014 WDW/Cruise 2015

Last edited by lbuzz52; 03-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #150
BlueEyes78
Mouseketeer

Joining in late also, looking forward to reading more! We've been twice with two little ones - our boys were about Sam and Madeleine's ages on our first trip two years ago. You're right, "4" is the magic age. I felt like my oldest, Caden, was old enough to do a lot of riding, but young enough to still believe in the Disney magic. He was able to ride a bit more on our Thanksgiving trip 4 months ago, but was already starting to say, "Mom, that's someone dressed in a Mickey suit, isn't it?"

They're 6 and 3 now, and we have another one on the way, so it's interesting for me to find out what it will be like to go with THREE kids. Your report has been so fun to read, and with itineraries similar to ours have been, you're bringing back a lot of fond memories!

Surprise Trip for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: 11/13/10-11/20/10: "We Fly Down in 10 hours...The kids are in bed and have NO IDEA!"

3rd Family Trip: 8/4/12-8/11/12:We have an Entourage (just like the Gosselins!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: