DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Poll of DVC perks used and recommend?
Have used DVC points for RCI exchange resorts? 2 4.44%
Have NOT used DVC points for RCI exchange resorts? 13 28.89%
Felt that DVC points used for RCI exchange was GOOD deal financially? 0 0%
Felt that DVC points used for RCI exchange was NOT good deal financially? 6 13.33%
Have used DVC points for Disney Cruises? 7 15.56%
Have NOT used DVC points for Disney Cruises? 3 6.67%
Felt that DVC points used for Disney Cruises was GOOD deal financially? 2 4.44%
Felt that DVC points used for Disney Cruises was NOT good deal financially? 4 8.89%
Have used DVC points for Adventures by Disney? 0 0%
Have NOT used DVC points for Adventures by Disney? 5 11.11%
Felt that DVC points used for Adventures by Disney was GOOD deal financially? 0 0%
Felt that DVC points used for Adventures by Disney was NOT good deal financially? 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoPahd View Post
We booked the Dream on points. I know many say it's not a good use of points, on top of the $95 fee. However, in our case it worked. I think it really depends on the circumstances. For the dates we are cruising it was only 79 pts per person, so 158 for both me and my husband. When we compared it to the cash price vs renting our points the price was very close. Close enough that we felt it wasn't worth the hassle of renting our points. We looked at other cruises where there was no question that paying cash would be the way to go.
I think the key is to look at specifics. The points chart was somewhat favorable for the Dream which is likely whey the system got overbooked with DVC points. One of the common "mistakes" people make in comparing points vs cash cruises is missing the early booking deadline and not taking that into account when comparing.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #17
Mjasp
DIS Veteran

My daughter is 19 and plans on buying DVC in the future, she had a good point when I told her about the age old debate for cruising, she said well if you have DVC already and can't afford to take a cruise by cash, well then it is worth using your pts then isn't it?
June 2011- Carnival Glory August 2011- Disney Dream
February 2010- NCL Gem, June 2010- Carnival Glory
April 2008- Disney Wonder Land & Sea, November 2008- Disney Magic
August 2007- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
February 2006- Costa Mediterranea
August 2004- 10 day Disney Magic- Thanks Hurricane Frances
May 2002 Disney Magic Western Inaugural
Mjasp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
DizDays
DVC & D23 Member

We used our points to book the Members Cruise in 2011. Absolutely ridiculously high points. But this is a first time adventure and, I hope, worth it for the experience. If the poll can get fixed to allow each category to be answered, I'd be curious to see what the numbers look like.

DizDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

We are using some of our points on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. For us it is worth it since the points were prepaid. We are not interested in renting out points. We got them to vacation as we see fit.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/]2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani, 8/2014 RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjasp View Post
My daughter is 19 and plans on buying DVC in the future, she had a good point when I told her about the age old debate for cruising, she said well if you have DVC already and can't afford to take a cruise by cash, well then it is worth using your pts then isn't it?
To a degree. However, one who plans to buy in has the opportunity to make a better choice by buying less DVC points and using the money saves (up front and dues) to pay cash for the other options with a significant long term savings, less stress, more guarantees and more options.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

We used DVC points once for a 3 night off season cruise. The points were valued at a little more than $8 per point in that transaction. It was an underbooked, inexpensive cruise. At the time I felt the value was good. We had cancelled plans for a trip and were looking for options during that particular use year. It would not be a regular transaction for us, but once was fun.

We have not used any of the other exchange options. We love our DVC accommodations and see no need to exchange into RCI -- although I thought it was an important option when we bought into DVC.

Tags
adventures by disney, dvc perks, poll, rci

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: