Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #31
wdwthanksgiving
Mouseketeer

You are really doing a great job may i ask your age-- your write so well and are very detailed!
we are going to be at wdw feb 2 - 6 so i was very interested in the WPE pictures and description and also the food from sunshine - many thanks and keep writing - i am subbing!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #32
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

A Dinner with Character at 1900 Park Fare!

After hopping on the monorail from the MK to the GF we stepped off and went downstairs to 1900 Park Fare. We had a 6:50pm ADR and we were informed at the front desk they were probably running about 20-30mins behind. She blamed it on the holiday season. We were given a buzzer and left to absorb the atmosphere of the GF lobby. Quite a nice place I must say, and it was made even better by the Christmas decorations. The Ginger Bread house is really something, and we enjoyed the live music being played for the guests.

Some info about the gingerbread house

We were eventually called fifteen minutes late at 7:05pm. They offer a family photo before being seated, which we refused. We were then taken to our table, which was a fairly good table. The restaurant appears to be split into three sections. There is the section as you enter, which is of a reasonable size (not too big, not too small) and although there are a lot of tables I wouldn't say it's packed. The next room has the buffet as well as the middle section of tables. I think this room is louder and more crowded. On the far side was what looked like a narrow room that looked like it was pretty packed. Perhaps that one is only used during peak periods. Luckily we got put in the room as you enter.

Our server was Margaret, I think she was from New York. She was a really excellent server. The amazing thing is, we never really saw her. As if by magic, we'd return from the buffet to have all our old plates cleared away, and she kept our drinks filled the whole night. She was a really, really good server and ensured that we didn't have any plates stacking up through the night.

Drinks are included as part of the buffet. They had a very wide selection of stuff. DM had a Pomegranate Lemonade, DD had sparkling water, DS had coke and I had fresh orange juice.

Of course the theming of this dinner is "Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner" so there are plenty of characters. The characters going around were Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella. For whatever reason, Drizella never made it to our room. She always seemed to be in the main room. For us it wasn't such a big deal since we're all adults and just wanted to see a couple of characters, but perhaps other people who visit this restaurant would like to meet her.

As for the characters, Cinderella was alright, but a little bit boring. I think perhaps she was trying a bit too hard to act like royalty. She probably wasn't the best character of the evening. Prince Charming in my opinion was a pretty good character. The Cast Member playing Lady Tremaine was probably a bit young, but she did an excellent job of portraying the character and walked around with the same "I don't want to be here" expression the whole night, which was pretty funny! Anastasia was by far the best character. She got all the kids and took them around the restaurant in a line, singing and dancing. At the end she got them all to scream at the top of their voices! But by far, her best performance occurred when a child started crying at a table not too far for us. The child had been crying for a little while when Anastasia came in and let out an ear-piercing scream! The child immediately stopped crying and started looking at Anastasia, who was staring back. Definitely a highlight of the night. I worship her ability to control small children lol

As for the buffet, there was an extensive selection and they kept things topped up fairly well. There was a wide variety of salads, soups, entrees, accompaniments and desserts to choose from. I had some of the caesar salad, which was very good. I also recommend trying the chilled strawberry soup. Either as a soup OR a dessert, it was really good!

For the entrees they had prime rib being carved, various pastas, rice, Italian sausages, an Asian beef dish, paella, chicken and much more. They also had a Kids section with a few child friendly items. I thought that the quality of the food was very good.

Here is a picture of one of my plates...

The dessert selection was also very good. They had key lime tarts, brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cheesecake, carrot cake, fruit tarts, bread pudding, Edys soft serve ice-cream and more. Unfortunately one of the soft serve machines had broken but the other one was working. What I liked about the desserts were that they were all miniature, which allowed us to try a large variety of them and go back for the ones we liked.

Midway through dessert Margaret brought out a birthday muffin for DS, who had just turned 17. We were too full to eat the whole muffin but we had some of it and it was very nice! I wonder if they're still doing this sort of thing now that the "What will you Celebrate" theme is over. I hope they are, as I think it really adds to the Disney experience without very much cost to Disney.

So all in all we enjoyed this buffet. There was a variety of food, service was excellent and the characters were a bit of fun. Just one minor complaint, there seemed to be a couple of spills on the ground around the buffet which I didn't notice getting cleaned up. There was one in particular near the dessert buffet which was quite a large spill. It wasn't cleaned up and I saw quite a few people walk straight through it. Be careful!

I would definitely recommend this to people as a good character dining experience, plus you get the bonus of having dined at the premier resort hotel at WDW. I haven't been to Cinderella's Royal Table, but I reckon that this place must give it a good run for its money. Personally I wouldn't mind returning, but I think that this is the sort of place you only really have to do once in a lifetime

Cost:

4 credits used, 36 remaining
Bill Total - $170.36 (avg $42.59ea)
Running Total - $539.69

NEXT UP: Lunch at Japan's Yakitori House!

2002: Disneyland and Californian Adventure - Offsite
2006: WDW - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
2007: Disneyland Resort Paris - Disney's Sequoia Lodge
2008: Tokyo Disney Resort - Hilton @ Tokyo Disney Resort
2010: HK Disneyland - Offsite
2010: WDW - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.
The_Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #33
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
I'm checking in here. I'm really lenjoying your report so far, your family seems to have very similar tastes to my family. Our upcoming trip in Aug. I've planned some of the same restaurants.
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwthanksgiving View Post
You are really doing a great job may i ask your age-- your write so well and are very detailed!
we are going to be at wdw feb 2 - 6 so i was very interested in the WPE pictures and description and also the food from sunshine - many thanks and keep writing - i am subbing!
Thanks for reading! I'm 18.

I guess since your trip is so close you've already made the ADR's, so the CS restaurant reviews are probably more helpful. There are more to come, hopefully I'll post a review for Yakitori House later today!

Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #34
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! DBF and I tried making 1900 PF's Strawberry Soup at home, but it definitely wasn't as good as the original - isn't it great? Looking forward to reading more
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #35
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

Jumping on board! Loving your reviews
onelilspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #36
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Great reviews! DBF and I tried making 1900 PF's Strawberry Soup at home, but it definitely wasn't as good as the original - isn't it great? Looking forward to reading more
It is great! Perhaps I should try making it sometime, although I also doubt if I can make it as well as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
Jumping on board! Loving your reviews
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Dining in Japan at Yakitori House

We were back at Epcot, but this time we decided to try something on the World Showcase! We visited Yakitori House on our last visit to WDW too, although since then we have visited Japan and our palate for Japanese food has definitely developed!

The indoor seating area at the restaurant was very small with just a couple of tables. However, there is more seating outdoors. We sat outdoors.

Here's a photo of the menu board. It's a bit blurry but hopefully you can make out a few of the dishes

For our entrees Mum and Rachel had the Teriyaki Chicken, while Dad and I had the Tonosama Teriyaki Combination. As the dining plan dessert they have both an American and a Japanese option. The American option is a chocolate chip cookie, while the Japanese option is a ginger cake. We got two cookies and two ginger cakes. To drink we got a Diet Coke and three bottles of water.

The staff at the restaurant were reasonably efficient at getting our meals organised. The cast member serving us was shocked out of her mind when I thanked her in Japanese!

And now for some food pics! Here's the Teriyaki Chicken ($8.99)

And here's the Tonosama Teriyaki Combination ($12.99)

As you can see, the Teriyaki Chicken is served with some steamed vegetables and a big serving of rice. The Tonosama combination had chicken, beef and salmon, as well as the steamed vegetables and rice. This dish has been edited very recently, and the menus on WDWinfo and AllEars haven't been updated yet to reflect the changes in price or content to this dish.

We found both dishes to be alright, although the vegetables were a little soggy and tasteless (perhaps they had been frozen for a really long time??). The meats were alright, my favourite was the beef. As for the ginger cake, I think it was a good idea to give it a try since that's what the World Showcase is all about, but it didn't really suit our Western tastes. The cookie was good though!

In summary, the meals at Yakitori House were just alright. There was nothing special about them, but they weren't bad. Now that we've been there twice I don't think we'll ever have a need to go back. Perhaps we can try a few other CS places around the World Showcase next time! I think my overall recommendation would be that if you really want to try it there would be no harm in giving it a go, but if you're tossing between Yakitori and another place, perhaps go to the other one

Cost:
4 CS credits used - 28 remaining
Bill Total - $70.24 (avg $17.56ea)
Running Total - $609.93

NEXT UP: A tasty snack at Boulangerie Patisserie!

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #38
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Good updates, I have heard good things about Harbour House , I had Park Fare on our tentative list until be changed resorts, we switched our ressies from CR to Beach Club since there are so very many places in Epcot we want to try this trip. We are planning on Teppan Edo but Yakitor House does not look bad for CS at all. On our last trip Ddil went there with DS for sushi.
I have to say as a pp mentioned , like that you are giving the credits used and prices, both of which will be helpfull when planning, we are doing the DxDP for the frist time in September.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great reviews looking forward to more. Can't believe the creme brulee was a cs dessert it looks very good.

Your flight puts our 10 hours into perspective.

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #40
shezfrombermuda
DIS Veteran

I am really enjoying your reviews, thanks for posting!
Pop Century 2008, 2011, Caribbean Beach 1988, Port Orleans Riverside 2005, Polynesian 2009, Beach Club 2005, 2008, Beach Club Villas 2011, Animal Kingdom Kidani 2013, Disney Magic 2004, Disney Wonder 2008, Disney Dream 2013
shezfrombermuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Great reveiws and pictures, can't wait to see more.

princess aleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #42
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Good updates, I have heard good things about Harbour House , I had Park Fare on our tentative list until be changed resorts, we switched our ressies from CR to Beach Club since there are so very many places in Epcot we want to try this trip. We are planning on Teppan Edo but Yakitor House does not look bad for CS at all. On our last trip Ddil went there with DS for sushi.
I have to say as a pp mentioned , like that you are giving the credits used and prices, both of which will be helpfull when planning, we are doing the DxDP for the frist time in September.
I agree, if you're staying at the Boardwalk there's a plethora of places you could eat (and the World Showcase too!) so really not much of a need to visit 1900PF. Either today or tomorrow I'll be writing my Cape May Clambake review, which you might find helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
great reviews looking forward to more. Can't believe the creme brulee was a cs dessert it looks very good.

Your flight puts our 10 hours into perspective.
Ahh, from Aus to get anywhere other than New Zealand you are really looking at a minimum of around ten hours!

Glad you're enjoying the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezfrombermuda View Post
I am really enjoying your reviews, thanks for posting!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess aleya View Post
Great reveiws and pictures, can't wait to see more.
Thanks! And don't worry, there's heaps more to come!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #43
The_Aviator
Mouseketeer

What could be better than snacking in France...

Hi everyone! Sorry I didn't get around to posting yesterday, it was our National Holiday and there were lots of parties and celebrations etc.

Today I'm back with a review of the Boulangerie Patisserie at the France pavilion in Epcot. We really like French food and French culture so this seemed like an excellent place to make use of a few of those snack credits. No point wasting them, right?

Here's a picture of the patisserie from the outside. You actually have to venture a little further into France to find it, it's not like Les Chefs de France where the restaurant is right at the pavilion entrance. The sign above the door would seem to suggest that this patisserie is run as part of Les Chefs, so perhaps the private catering company that runs the French restaurants runs all the eateries across the pavilion.

I just want to point out that there are absolutely no dining plan snack credit logos on any of the items in the patisserie. I'm not sure why they do this. We asked the Cast Member at the counter and she said that you could basically have anything other than the quiches, croissants, sandwiches etc. Pretty much all the sweet items and none of the savoury ones! I think this is one of the situations where jjohnson's confirmed snack list over on the Dining Plan forum really comes in handy. I actually printed a copy where I shrunk everything onto just three or four pages, one for each park basically. This way you can sort of plan what you would like to have before arriving. Also just another note, at the patisserie they have two queues as you enter, one on the left and one on the right. It isn't important which queue you choose, as they both serve the same thing. Just choose the shorter one!

For our snacks, DM got a cheesecake ($3.50), DD got a Creme Brulee ($3.80), DS got a Chocolate Eclair ($3.75) and I got a Chocolate Mousse ($3.35). We also got a specialty cappuccino ($3.19). We haven't got pics of the cappuccino or cheesecake, but here are pics of the other snacks.

We were all reasonably happy with what we had chosen. I think this type of snack really beats the standard stuff like an ice-cream from the ice-cream cart or a bag of chips. I think a lot of people are catching on to the value of getting a snack from this place though, since the line seemed much longer than it was when we visited in 2006! I would highly recommend the Boulangerie Patisserie for anyone visiting the France pavilion.

Cost:

5 snack credits used - 35 remaining
Bill Total - $18.73 (avg $3.75ea)
Running Total - $628.66

NEXT UP: A Clambake at Cape May Cafe!

Last edited by The_Aviator; 02-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #44
DisneyDarlings
Mouseketeer

Great reviews and great pictures as well!
DisneyDarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #45
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

That chocolate mousse looks really good...it would be difficult for me to deviate from my beloved Napoleon though! Maybe if I could convince someone I'm there with to get it, then I'd be covered!

Great pics, btw!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
counter service, dining plan, holidays, snacks, table service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: