Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #376
Funball
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Maybe they have had a security threat and they aren't sure what to look for? I do know I find it really odd.

i dont. ..its just security.. being security.. welcome to disneyland resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Possibly, but the main reason is safety and I can understand that.

yes exaclty safety! still u did good with the pictures though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
It makes sense to me, but I always wonder how security looks at people in Disney since there exists pictures of nearly everything all over the net. Although this gives me an idea for you next photo hunt. It's called the nail head and bolt search. Good Luck Bret!
ur not funny....

bret he is kidding.. u dont have to do that.

[QUOTE=skiingfast;39667267][QUOTE=mvf-m11c;39640623]

Quote:

Is that faux bamboo furniture?

please put on ur glasses skiingfast

bret.. how was the room? was it nice? was it comfortable? was the price good? did the heater/AC unit work?
Funball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #377
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funball View Post
bret.. how was the room? was it nice? was it comfortable? was the price good? did the heater/AC unit work?
The room was okay. It is nothing special just a typical room with a nice king bed, nice sofa that is also a bed, tvs are just okay but it would be nice if the ESPN channel had better sound quality. I always like to stay there and it is always nice and comfortable. The price I got for the room is $79 a night. That is not bad for a king room, but I got a last second change to the room price just before I left Sacramento. I originally paid the room for $85 a night and it changed to $79 in just a few days. I didn't use the AC unit, but I know that it is noisy and I didn't use it all week since the weather is very nice in Anaheim.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #378
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Bret will this be the biggest trip thread ever when you post 1,000 sign pics? I'm looking forward to seeing what you captured.
This will be possibly my longest TR ever with all the signs around the resort. I wished I did more photos of DTD and the DLR hotels, but that stopped by the security guards right by the D Street store just made me uneasy after that. I just didn't feel comfortable taking pictures of the hotels and DTD.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #379
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

My Short Visit to the South - Day 1 – January 20, 2011 & January 21, 2011 - Part 1

I just got back home today this morning and I have uploaded my photos and some video of this weekend. This will be many of posts of my TR with photos from the Sign Quest and Kickin’ Country Weekend during Family Fun Weekend at the DLR. So it will be some time for me to show all of my photos from my trip.

This was my first time going to the DLR during January which is a off-season to a lot of people. Even though it did not seem an off-season to me since most of the guests I have seen are AP holders and are locals. The weather was great in the 70s during the day and 50s during the night. The construction was kind of bit disturbing at DL with all the walls around MS and it was hard to go around. Why am I saying this on the opening page? I should save that for later.

After doing the Tree & Wreath Quest two months ago with Sherry, Liza (funatdisney), Funbal (Sara), amamax, Belle Ella (Jazz) and others which was a fun quest to do during the Holiday season at the DLR. Now this time as some of you have already been following me on my TR, I just did the Sign Quest at the DLR. It is all the signs around the resort from billboards, bathrooms, rides, restaurants, stores, etc. This was possibly one of the hardest quests that I have ever done during my time at the DLR. I just went like crazy and took as many pictures of the signs around the resort. I know that I didn’t get all of them but for only one and a half days at the park is not bad. There must have been over 1,000 signs that I have took during my visit and I’ll try to post all of them. I also thought it would be neat to do a little game and guess what sign belongs to this land, ride, etc. But we will wait and see.

Now is the time to start my TR.

Day 1 – January 20, 2011 & January 21, 2011 – Part 1

I left my house around 7:30pm on Thursday night and had a 1 ½ hour trip to my Grandmothers house in Livingston. This is my usual stop where I go to the LA area. It is a good rest stop and it is always nice to see your grandmother during a stop.

The time I got to my grandmothers house was around 9pm that night. The first thing I did was greet her and than call it for the night since I was tired from work and driving all the way. It was really foggy that night and there was no way I would continue during that trip. I than took a shower and went straight to bed.

The next day I got up very early in the morning around 6am and than got some breakfast from my grandmother and head straight out to Anaheim. But I always try to get her something when I am at the DLR. Mostly it is food or bags, but I had no clue of what to get her. I will tell u later of what I got her but it won’t be a surprise. Than I left my grandmothers house around 7am in the morning and now heading straight down to LA. I am excited to go to DL but I forgot to do something.

It took me 4 ½ hours to get to LA from Livingston. On the way after I got out of the mountains, there was a major accident on I-5. If I remember carefully that there was a car on fire on I-5 on Friday around 11. But I guess the locals got to confirm this if they saw this on the news. The lanes did move but it was slow. It almost seemed like a usual rush hour day in LA.

Now back to my trip, the first thing before I went straight to DL is to stop at my DB GF apartment in Irvine where she is going to school. So when I left Livingston, I pass DL around 12pm and I got to my DB GF apartment around 12:20. I dropped her some food and supplies since she lives in Sacramento just like me. My DB asked me to take her some stuff so she won’t have to buy it in Irvine.

Than I head on straight over to my hotel which is the BWPPI. I got in around 12:45pm and the first thing I did was go straight to the front and got my room. I got my room very early since I book it through the company instead of booking it through Expedia, Orbitz, etc.

They put me on the other side of the building and I was almost at the back of the building. It was very interesting to me since I have never been on the other side of the hotel since I am always facing Captain Kidd’s restaurant side all the time. My room was on the first floor and my room number was #147. Here are the pictures of the BWPPI King room.

The room is nothing special, it is just a normal room with a king bed, sofa bed, old school tv, etc. I didn't like the ESPN channel where it doesn't give good sound and I have to increase the volume. Than when I change the channel it was really loud. I always like staying at the hotel since it is really the closest hotel to the walkway on Harbor Blvd.

I will get to my day at DL but right now I am having dinner and I will get to u later. Thx for reading my TR.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #380
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Wow the outside so looks like Stovall's Inn. They are owned by the same company aren't they?
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #381
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow the outside so looks like Stovall's Inn. They are owned by the same company aren't they?
Yes, Stovall's is own by the Best Western Company.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #382
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

My Short Visit to the South - Day 1 – & January 21, 2011 - Part 2

After a good dinner of being back home, its time to go back to my TR.

Day 1 – January 21, 2011 – Part 2

I believe I left off when i checked into my hotel room and now am planning on going to DL so I can check out Kickin' Country Weekend. The weather was in the 70s which was way better than being back home in Sacramento which is around in the 50s during the day. I didn't even bring enough short pants for this weekend so I have to use them twice during my visit.

I left around the room around 1:15pm and now is the time to do the Sign Quest that will be even tougher than I thought. The first sign at the DLR is the east side entrance where the ART buses dropped off the passengers.

BWPPI Hallway

BWPPI Sign

The entrance from Harbor Blvd

Here is my the first sign of the Sign Quest

Walkway through the ART bus and TS pickup area

Before I walked through the security check-point, there was a sign that is telling everyone that the taxis are not running on the east side but they are on the DTD side.

WoC Sign above the Security Check Point

Than I walked through the security check point and there was a decent amount of people between DL & DCA. Than I past tickets booth and the prices are still the same, but everyone knows that the prices will not be the same at the end of the year.

Than the WoC light pole signs have been there for awhile and still are colorful with each of these different characters. I have never got tired of those light pole signs.

Got to see the wall around the former CALIFORNIA letter heads which I am going to miss when DCA gets the new entrance. But I do like the art work of the boards with the Buena Vista Entrance for DCA and the characters of all of Walt Disney work. It's been awhile since I have seen art of Clara Cluck, Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar.

Before I walk into DL, I decided to look for more different signs and saw one of the multiple sign pole on the west side of the ticket booth.

Now that I can't post more photos on this post so I will get back to my TR later.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 01-25-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: day
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 AM   #383
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

My Short Visit to the South - Day 1 – January 21, 2011 - Part 3

Day 1 – January 21, 2011 – Part 3

I entered DL around 1:25 and now is the time to look for all signs around DL. So the first thing that I always see when I walk through the turnstile entrance is the MS station. So one of the signs I always see is the Population and elevation sign. Also the DLRR logo up on top of the station. Than shortly the Ward Kimball Engine #5 pulled up with the Excursion car set. The Excursion car set has the DL RR sign on top of the car.

MS RR Station

Engine #5 Ward Kimball

Excursion Car Set

I than went to the right side of the entrance and took some pictures of the sign posters of where the former stroller and wheelchair rental area.

BTMRR Poster Sign

IASW Poster Sign

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Poster Sign

FNSV Poster Sign

Than when I was about to walk underneath the MS station, I got a couple of more signs including the plaque above the station that everyone is very familiar with.

The sign that tells people that some Fantasyland attractions will be closed during the fireworks.

Mailbox on the right side of the entrance

Family Fun Weekend Sign

The plaque at the Entrance

Than I was going underneath the station and had to get the posters of the attractions and I thought DL would take down the Believe...In Holiday Magic poster but I should know that it will take some time when they take it out.

DL Monorail Poster Sign

JC Poster Sign

Mr. Toad Wild Ride Poster Sign

Believe...In Holiday Magic Fireworks Poster Sign

POTC Poster Sign

EO Poster Sign (Sry it was kind of blurry and you can see me in the picture)

DLRR Poster Sign

Alice in Wonderland Poster Sign

Now here is the first guess game of which sign is this from and where is it. Guess which land this sign belongs to and which building is it right next to?

Now after getting to the guessing part, it is time to go back to the Sign Quest and check out some area. When I walk into DL, I past the Bank and took some more photos for the Sign Quest.

Another day of the TR and I'll get right back to more.

Last edited by mvf-m11c; 01-25-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: day
Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #384
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

HI Bret,
I'm lovin' your short report from the south. I never knew (or stopped long enough to look for) that there were those awesome sign posters for all the attractions. I am so enjoying looking at them in detail.

Hope you are enjoying your trip!

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #385
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
HI Bret,
I'm lovin' your short report from the south. I never knew (or stopped long enough to look for) that there were those awesome sign posters for all the attractions. I am so enjoying looking at them in detail.

Hope you are enjoying your trip!

TK
Thx TK. There are at least 8 attraction posters underneath the walkway on each side underneath the MS station. Than there is the four posters where the stroller and wheelchair rental area was until they installed a permanent area outside the gate.

I enjoyed the trip and this is going to be awhile for me to complete this TR with all the Sign Quest and Kickin' Country Weekend.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #386
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

My Short Visit to the South - Day 1 – January 21, 2011 - Part 4

Its time to get back to the TR after a nice sleep back in my own bed. It good to be back home and I am already missing DL already and Character Fan Days this upcoming weekend.

Day 1 – January 21, 2011 – Part 4

I left off around pictures of the Bank and now is time to get pictures around MS including walls up around flag pole and by the Emporium which was a problem for guests to leave the park at night. But I will get that later during my TR. Here are some pictures of GMwML, DLRRMS station, CH, & GT.

Omni Bus Sign by DLRRMS Station

GMwML Main Entrance Sign

GMwML Poster Sign

GMwML Poster Sign

Churro Stand by the Flag Pole Area

As you can see the construction wall goes up all the way to the Firehouse and towards the area around the flag pole. Talk about a big construction wall.

Popcorn Stand by the Flag Pole Area

DLRRMS station Sign

DLCH Sign

DLCH Press Information GR Sign above the Entrance Door

DLCH Wait Sign

DLCH Lost Children Sign

DLCH Handicap Sign

DLGT Sign

DLGT Sign

DLGT Sign

Horseless Carriage Sign

Now is time to go down the stores and shops down the street of MS USA.

MS Hotel Sign by the Disney Showcase Store

MS Magic Store Sign

Emporium Sign

Emporium Store Sign on the Right Side

News Sounds for a New Century Sign
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #387
kaoden39
Hugs

Bret, I think you took on a daunting project when you took on the sign one. Wow.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #388
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bret, I think you took on a daunting project when you took on the sign one. Wow.
No kidding. This is possibly is almost impossible of getting everything in only one and a half days at DL. I can't remember who got me into this Quest. I know Sherry said I should try this quest after the Wreath & Tree Quest during the Holiday season to make it more challenging. A lot of other DISers got me into this quest and it will be nice to do another one in the future.

Also I am now planning on doing a another trip (again) at the end of May because my middle school that I went and coach basketball will be down during that month. It is a middle school band group that will be performing down there and I thought it would be a good idea to go down there and see them. I have some kids that play for my basketball team are part of the band and will be performing at DL. I don't know what the days are, but it is at the end of the month. And the way it looks like, it would be a good idea to go down there before the summer crowds start and get to see LMR, ST2 and the new parade.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #389
kaoden39
Hugs

I think that a May trip beats a summer trip by far. I have heard that May is one of the better months crowd wise.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #390
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that a May trip beats a summer trip by far. I have heard that May is one of the better months crowd wise.
I was considering doing a trip one day in late May, but most of the stuff like Summer Nightastic events are in mid June (Debut of WoC, updated F!, and Magical the last two years) and I don't want to miss out on it. But if the schedule for LMR, ST2 and the parade are scheduled to be opened before I get there and it would be worth it going in late May than early or mid June. It would be disappointed of not seeing those rides and parade, but we will wait and see.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: