Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #1681
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Trish...that brought tears to my eyes...if ever there was a perfect evening, you guys had it! The pictures are amazing....you all look so wonderful and relaxed!! Sometimes the best thing is to just be at the pool isn't it....we get caught up in the parks and forget just being together is that best part of any vacation.
Thanks Queen. You are right! It was such a simple, unplanned moment, but the best night of the whole trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkle View Post
awh!!! Sounds wonderful!! I could actually feel some of the Disney Magic There really is no place quite like it.
On our next trip I am bring ing my nephew...hw has gone to Disney but hasn't stayed in Disney. There is no comparison......IT IS SUCH A MAGICAL PLACE
Aww...thanks! It was a magical night for sure.

How lucky that you will be able to bring your nephew on your next trip. The next best thing to your first ever visit in WDW is sharing someone else's.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #1682
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Love reading about your last night!

My DH and I ate at Narcoosees and also enjoyed the surf and turf and the mussels. I won't tell you what my DH had, because it was a little scary. The kids look they had a lovely evening as well. Wonderful pictures of the whole family!

It sounds like your after dinner swimming was also perfect! What a great memory to have of the last day of your trip!
Hmmmm....now you REALLY have my curiousity piqued. So what DID your husband order????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid764 View Post
Wow that sounds like the perfect evening to ever have at WDW, dinner looked fantastic and what a bonus that you were able to enjoy both the princess and the frog and illuminations from the pool.

Can't wait to hear about your final day
Thank you! I should have the start of Day 10 up sometime this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
What a great night. I can just picture you guys having a blast in the pool!!
Thanks...it was a great nite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandbella View Post
I'm all caught up on the rest of your trip! The way you described that night in the pool gave me goosebumps...sounds heavenly!
Hey stranger! I am glad I am not the only one who got a wee bit behind on the Dis lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixidustmom View Post
Hello, I just decided to read your TR starting yesterday. Her it's about 24 hours later and I am not all caught up.
I have a DH like yours. He loves it when it's something he was enjoying, like eating or relaxing. He hates it when it's hot/raining, long lines and crowds. There have been many times I say I want to do a trip without him so I can truly enjoy the trip. Then I think how I may miss him and want him to enjoy it as much as I do.
The kids are so cute. Loved all the outfits. Narcoosee's dinner looked divine. I must go there some time. MMM The surf and turf would have had me drooling.
Thanks for the links so it made reading the TR much easier.
Welcome, and thanks so much for posting!

Oh, how I can relate to everything you just said. I have done the trips that involve a lot of compromise to ensure that DH has the best possible time that he can (which can be disappointing), and I have also done trips without him where I always feel like something is missing, especially when I see other couples or families where everyone seems to "get it" and is so clearly enjoying the magic. Fortunately, the kids seem to be following in their mom's footsteps on this, albeit not without a healthy degree of assimilation from a very young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighbass06 View Post
Your dinner at Narcoossee's looked absolutely fabulous! That may go on my list for next trip...

I love how Katie's doll had a matching dress! So cute!
Definitely check out Narcoossee's on a future trip. Great place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
Your last night in the pool sounds positively perfect! How wonderful!!!
Thanks Ellen!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #1683
cdotla
Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
So you mention "next trip" - when is it???

What a perfect night! It sounds just magical. A wonderful, memorable Disney moment. And you have my stomach growling for Narcoose's!
It is looking like this fall. Working out all the details now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mek View Post
What a wonderful, magical evening!! SO happy that you had it after all the ups and downs on the trip!

Looking forward to hearing about the Poly....

Sara
Thanks Sara. We are both Poly girls at heart, aren't we? More on the Poly coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
What a wonderful dinner -- and a wonderful night!

Katie looks so adorable in her fluffy skirt, with her doll in a fluffy skirt!

My mom and I stayed at the GF last year, and we thought that even my dad -- the biggest WDW-hater ever (after four daughters and many many years of WDW trips, all in the days before FPs) -- would love the GF!
Thanks! Yes...it is pretty hard not to like the GF. So beautiful. And while you are always aware that you are in WDW...never too far from a view of the castle or the monorail...it is so peaceful and relaxing there. Great place to get away from the hustle and bussle of the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3babes View Post
What a perfect end to your day! I also figured out that sometimes you have to let kids choose. Even if it means going against your plans. I did that on our last family trip and we had a really great time! It's their vacation too, right? I'm glad you all went swimming and had so much fun family time. Great update!
Very wise tip! You are completely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
What a perfect last evening at Disney!
Thank you.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #1684
cdotla
Trish

Day 10: Goodbye Beach Club...Hello Poly!

Morning soon came on our last full day in Walt Disney World. While we were all sad to bid farewell to the Beach Club, our wonderful home for the past 8 nights, I was also quite excited about where we were headed...the Polynesian.

Ever since my first stay here in 1977 at the age of 4, the Poly has always had my heart. It is remarkable how similar it still looks to how it was back in the 1970's. I have heard many complaints about how it is outdated, and perhaps I would feel that way too if I hadn't experienced this resort back in the 1970's. To me, the Polynesian is pure Disney. There is something so wonderful to me about the fact that it really hasn't changed all that much over the years.

After a lesuirely morning, we finally got over to the Polynesian around 10am. I had been waiting the whole trip to dine at my favourite breakfast place in all of Walt Disney World - the Kona Cafe.

From the deliciously sweet lilikoi juice, to the dark french press coffee, the meal always gets off to a great start. Then, I always get the Big Kahuna here. There is nothing quite like it:

After breakfast, I figured we would try our luck with checking in. It was still early, but we completely lucked out...not only was our room ready, but our exact room request in Tokelau was honored. The day was off to a great start!

After we were all appropriately lai'ed, we headed to the room. Oh, how I love the Poly. It is so unmistakably Disney. Walking the grounds with the monorail gliding by overhead, hearing the piped in music, and seeing the tropical surroundings...there really is nothing quite like it.

I was very anxious to see how the rest of my family would enjoy their first ever stay at the Polynesian.

We settled into the room very quickly. The kids enjoyed hanging out on the balcony while Chris and I got things settled.

Our "Hidden" Mickey:

And the glorious view from our Balcony:

Our room was right on the end of the Tokelau longhouse. Here was the view from the staircase outside our room:

And a few more of the glorious grounds and views surrounding the Polynesian:

And The Pool! Which was exactly where we were headed!

Today's agenda was just to hang out, relax, and enjoy our time at the Polynesian. We would not be visiting any parks....just soaking up all of the atmosphere and delight of being at my favourite place in all of WDW.

Fortunately, it was not exceptionally crowded at the pool, and we had a great time hanging out poolside all afternoon. The kids enjoyed digging and playing in the sand, swimming in the pool, and trying out the volcano slide, which was great, but admittedly not quite as great as the pirate slide at SAB. There was plenty of shade when we needed time to cool off, and we enjoyed plenty of dolewhips and sampled a few cool drinks from the Barefoot Pool Bar.

Once again, we had a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable day. Before we knew it, it was late afternoon and time to head back to the room to get cleaned up for dinner.

UP NEXT: Dinner at O'Hana

Last edited by cdotla; 01-30-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #1685
cdotla
Trish

sorry...double post.

Last edited by cdotla; 01-23-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #1686
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Your breakfast looks so yummy! I've yet to eat breakfast at Kona Cafe, I've had ressies two different times, but getting there for them just didn't work out.

How awesome was that, being able to grab a dole whip right by the pool?!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #1687
mermaid764
DIS Veteran

Kona looks delicious.....this is definitely one I want to try for breakfast sometime.

The poly looks beautiful and I love the hidden Mickey!!

Can't wait to hear about Ohana
Old 01-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #1688
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Ahh the Poly... someday I'll go there!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #1689
MadilynnsMomma
...first star to the right, and straight on til morning...

Hi - been lurking and catching up. First question, where did you get the kids swimsuits? They are an adorable print!
Girls Trip Round Two - September 2012 - Pop Century Resort / Introducing Oli to the Magic - February 2015 - Pop Century Resort

Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #1690
Kellyh123
DIS Veteran

I love breakfast at Kona Cafe. Tonga Toast and Bacon mhhhm!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #1691
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Oh the Poly! That is one place I'd like to stay someday, but since we've joined DVC I don't know if it will ever happen. I need to give Kona breakfast another try. When we ate there in October I was had a stomach bug and the meal didn't sit well in my stomach (to say the least.)
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 AM   #1692
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I agree that the Poly screams Disney! Charles and I stayed there on our first trip together back in 1995. What a great view from your balcony and hanging out at the pool sounds like a great way to spend some time!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #1693
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Narcoossee's really was great. But it still doesn't touch California Grill or Jiko in my view. I haven't tried Flying Fish yet, but really want to. I still haven't finished your TR, so I definitely look forward to reading all about your experience there.

As for taking your daughter....check out the photo of Chris and Declan. There are 2 other tables in the background and what do you see at each of them - kids!!! Our dinner ADRS were usually btwn 5:30-6pm and we never had problems with the kids, nor were we ever alone in bringing them to the fancier signature restaurants. Personally I probably wouldn't bring young kids (age 5 and under) to such places after 7:30-8pm as most kids that age aren't their best at that time, plus I think most adult diners probably expect (or at least are hoping) for a more child-free experience. But anything before 7:30pm is fair game as far as I am concerned. It is Walt Disney World afterall!
Oh, we will be trying Flying Fish on our upcoming trip in 2 weeks, so it won't be in the TR I just did. I am excited to try it though. We did try to book earlier dinners at most TS restaurants as we just know DD gets a little crankier as the night goes on. The tricky part was not booking them too early that we have to wake her up early from a nap, as that doesn't go over well, either.

Loved the update as I would love to stay at the Poly one day. Your pictures of the resort are gorgeous!

I love Kona, but have never tried it for breakfast. We always end up there for dinner. Actually, between Kona, Ohana or Capt Cook, I think we eat at the Poly very frequently during our trips. We might as well be staying at the Poly!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #1694
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Looks like an all around perfect day! Would sure like to be lounging around a pool today instead of dealing with winter!!

I am not a breakfast eater but sounds like Kona is a good option. I may have to go just to try the coffee!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #1695
mom2mek
Obsessed with Disney

Oh girl, it hurts....love looking at those pics of the Poly, but it's painful! LOL! (Going back in 2 months and not staying there....)

You got a great room!! I will definitely remember that request for next time. Tokelau, 3rd floor??, closest to the end by the beach?

I love the music and the sounds of the Poly in general - it's so relaxing and fun!!

Kona breakfast sounds and looks delicious - I got the macademia nut pancakes last time and they were divine!!

Looking forward to hearing about your dinner!

Sara

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: