Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #16
Database
Hey! I'm stalking you today!

1.Dunkin Donut Coffee is a big hit. I stock up when they have 4 lbs for 19.99. Even the flavored coffee is a hit with the fellas.

2.Bath and Body hand soap. (I used to keep my hands from getting raw with repeated washing between patients. Clean Cotton, Tangerine...) Can't tell you how many times the patients would mention how nice the room smelled? Go figure. Look for the semi-annual sales, order online and send directly to the APO.

We even started putting the soaps at each sink in the "shared" locker room style bathrooms. It was a hit. I was surprised when one of the guys wanted one. Said it reminded him of home.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
MattsPrincess
Mouseketeer

I never had to send DH the basic things, like toiletries and that sort, as he was at a base that had all those sort of things available at the BX. and the only restriction I has was no alcohol because he was at a dry base, but that's not always the case. So, I just tried to keep the boxes fun, and fill them with things that would make him happy and not as homesick. I mostly did themes, as has been mentioned already. Lets see....I did...

Christmas Theme- baked brownies with red and green sprinkles, cocoa mix, packaged christmas cookies, and a few "presents" like a little nerf ball to toss around and some puzzle books.

Valentines Theme- baked cherry chip mini cupcakes, a can of cherry frosting, plastic knife to ice with, two valentines themed pairs of boxers, heart peeps, valentines m&ms, a card, and then topped it all with heart confetti.

St. Pattys Theme- a single serve cup of lucky charms, a small ireland flag to hang in his room, bags of all green m&ms (they sell these around valentines with the girl m&m on the bag, grab them then and hang onto them), baked irish cream shortbread, boxers with clovers and beers, and topped the box with clover confetti.

Easter Theme- peeps, baked cookies with pastel sugar, cadbury eggs, jelly beans, m&m eggs, reese pieces in a carrot shaped bag, egg shaped deck of cards, and other typical easter candy. This one was really fun to do, because instead of just packing everything into the box, I filled the box with that green easter basket grass, then put all the candy into those little plastic eggs and "hid" them in all the grass. That way, he got to do a little egg hunt, lol. It was his "easter box-sket".

Summer Theme- summer flavored candies, like tropical starbursts and skittles, ice cream flavored jelly beans, ICEE squeeze candy, squirt guns, water balloons, a water grenade, lemonade flavor kool aid, etc. They all got a kick out of this one and used the balloons and guns the rest of the time.

Also, there was a period in between the Valentines and St. Pattys boxes where he was really down. I wanted to send him something that would really cheer him up but couldn't think of anything. I was walking down the toy aisle and saw those Mr. Man (i think) stuffed toys, and one was just a giant yellow smiley face. I put him in a box alone, sprayed with some of my perfume. I put in a note explaining that this was a box of happiness. He really loved that, still has it, and is planning to take it with him this summer when he goes back. Goofy, and maybe not every guy would like it, but it really did the trick for DH.

I always just tried to send things he missed and always included a letter too. I also sent cards in between the boxes. All his friends were always jealous because Dh's packages were always so "cool" lol.

* also, a tip about sending home baked things. no matter what i sent, be it cookies, brownies, whatever...they always got there still soft and fresh. I used glad disposable tupperware, then wrapped that in the "press and seal" wrap. Seemed to really do the trick. *
MattsPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: