Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
ratlenhum
DIS Veteran

A social story properly written and read often can help.

I know with my son, with a behavior like that, we can't give in. We tell would tell him "it's someone else's turn to be first" and if the melt down happened, it happened. You just let it happen and do not pay any attention to him. No eye contact no words. If he goes to hurt himself or others we would gently pull his hand away or hold down his hand to stop him, but not give him what he wanted, which is either to be first or to get your attention. I can't tell you how many negative behaviors we have gotten rid of just by not paying attention to them.
ratlenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #17
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

Just call an IEP meeting an put forward that your child 's needs are not being met in a behavior classroom which is not teaching social skills at the level and in an appropriate manner for the mid to higher fuctioning ASD children and specificly to meet your child's needs for FAPE and that the IEP needs to be modified to include a comprehensive social skills program

Here is one of the best documented programs

http://www.socialthinking.com/

And yes providing a social skill or other accomodation to address the underlying issue or deficit while not reinforcing the currnet damaging behavior including using tools like social autopsies and social stories (repetitively over time) is a good path to progress.

bookwormde
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
lucigo
DIS Veteran

I am working on putting together a social story for school, thank you for the reminder of how well they work. We have a trip to Disney planned in a couple of weeks, and DS is less than excited about going.

I pulled out a shutterfly book I made just for him a couple of years ago when we stayed at Pop. It has pictures of all of the things he enjoyed about the trip and simple language that he could read at the time. He loved looking at his book and remembering "when he was little" and how he wrote "Pop" on his magnadoodle and sat in the numbers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: