Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
One strong reputation it has in Florida is that if your political leanings are not toward the Republican Party you will not enjoy being there.
That is sort of true, but not to the point a democrat or liberal would not enjoy it here. Yes, the developer has quite a bit of control over what political guests are invited to speak and/or sign books here and they are almost always republican, but the residential areas are divided into Community Development Districts (CDDs) and are run by elected residents. We have plenty of democrats and we all get along quite well.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #17
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I may be wrong, nut the STD rate for the Villages is said to be the highest in the state, and among the highest in the nation.
Not true. Several years ago The Villages was mentioned as an example in an article about an increase of STDs among older folks in general, countrywide. The local doctor who provided some misleading information is no longer practicing and long gone. A much less published follow-up article polled local doctors who said that while there is some occurance of STDs in The Villages, there was nothing to indicate it was no more than anywhere else.

We are advertised as "Florida's friendliest hometown." Sometimes the folks here can be very friendly, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the STD rumor.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #18
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

We've visited The Villages a few times. The first time we visited it we loved it..the last time, it had just gotten too busy for us. It's a city, and I think it's bigger (in people) than the city I live in. The houses are very close, but I see that in a lot of the retirement areas. I did like the older part more than the newer part. It was also pretty expensive for us. They sure did have a lot going on, and those who do live there seem to love it and all the activities. We have two sets of friends living there in the winter. The Villages offered a place for us to stay over for a few days, during the last visit, but it was just too busy for us....the town square was like Disney on a holiday...very crowded. But they did have a car show going on, so that may be why.
We have also visited here: http://www.solivita.com/ and loved it, but not enough to leave the great Northeast..yet.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

I'm only 42 but I've been there and thought it was absolutely wonderful! I would definitely live there.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
We've visited The Villages a few times. The first time we visited it we loved it..the last time, it had just gotten too busy for us. It's a city, and I think it's bigger (in people) than the city I live in. The houses are very close, but I see that in a lot of the retirement areas. I did like the older part more than the newer part. It was also pretty expensive for us. They sure did have a lot going on, and those who do live there seem to love it and all the activities. We have two sets of friends living there in the winter. The Villages offered a place for us to stay over for a few days, during the last visit, but it was just too busy for us....the town square was like Disney on a holiday...very crowded. But they did have a car show going on, so that may be why.
We have also visited here: http://www.solivita.com/ and loved it, but not enough to leave the great Northeast..yet.
We have a lot more people during snowbird season, which equates to tourist season in the coastal areas. We don't get as bad as the coastal areas, though, and May through September is a lot less crowded. It's a lot warmer then, but it all balances out. There are quite a few special events through the year that pull in crowds in the town squares.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
Disnydad
DVC Member -- OKW

We looked into the Villages but found it to be too big for us. We settled on a smaller place, Solivita. We do have friends up at The Villages and will be visiting them in a couple of weeks. I'm still shopping for my golf cart.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #22
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disnydad View Post
We looked into the Villages but found it to be too big for us. We settled on a smaller place, Solivita. We do have friends up at The Villages and will be visiting them in a couple of weeks. I'm still shopping for my golf cart.
We have friends in Solivita..they are very social, so you prob have met them LOL. We have really enjoyed our visits there.
I see we also live very near you (my sister lives in your town)..but you are prob enjoying the warmer FL weather right now, rather than getting ready for our newest storm.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: