Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #226
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

One word for that post, *drool* Man that all looks yum-O!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #227
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

how many hours do I need to spend on the tread mill just for looking at this...LOL. SOOOOO yummy Jen!

CRdisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #228
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Fantastic sunset pictures!

I agree with Palo, so much food! And the souffle, to DIE for!

Great karaoke by the girls!
Thanks!! Yeah Palo was so much food this time. I was the fullest I have ever felt when we left!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
OK- I'm finally replying! I LOVE these pictures-

The first one, because I think it is so sweet how Savannah is being so motherly to her baby sister- I love the look on her face-

Then this one is soooooo adorable of Sarah!

And this one, because, well, it's just AWESOME!!! Your kids look GREAT in their costumes! It's actually really made better I think by the plain backround- it focuses more on them-
Aw, thanks! There were *so* many great pictures!! It was so hard to choose. The pictures are my big ticket souvenir of choice on cruises although I promised Ron that we would stick to the smallest photo package tis time....we weren't able to hold to that.... There was orginally one on the plain black background that we had chosen too, but we must have swapped it out for another one. It was a really great Halloween pic too. I would have loved to have the photo CD but man they are just waaaaaaay to pricey.

Quote:
I totally remember when he got heckled!! He was runnin' up that aisle with his Ron-great-big-smile, but he just couldn't run fast enough! It's what made me be SURE we were on time for the adult show the next night!

Back in a minute to comment on the other post-
LOL I bet that was hilarious!!!! I'm so sorry I missed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
I loved that the chef came out of that kitchen to take pictures with us! It was really funny!! I also wish I would have ordered that risotto, it looks outstanding! But really, where would I have put it? We were EXPLODING by the end of that meal!
Omg me too!!! At the very end I was having a sinus attack too and I excused myself to the restroom to blow my nose and I thought "Oh man I am so full I might be sick" ....luckily I was not...(altough I wish there was a way to purge just the calories)

Quote:
I think it is hilarious that Sarah was hangin' out with Chip & Dale! : I hope there is some way for her baby-brain to hold onto that memory! And how perfect that they had pictures for you. I give them a BIG for that one.
Oh me too, That is one fo the special things that makes Disney DISNEY. She got another special interaction the next day too!!!

Quote:
But the best in that post is the kareoke- first off, I can't BELIVE you had the energy for that after your VERY eventful day in Key west..
Me either.....I don;t know where the second wind came from, tat was a really long day!!

Quote:
.second, Sarah is crackin' me up! Did Savannah mind? And third- please tell my young girlfriend, Savannah, she's a ROCKSTAR!! Great job carryin that tune!
LOL thanks! I don't think she minded too much, that was the first time she had ever done karaoke or sang solo in front of anyone so I almost think she was relieved some of the pressure was off in a way. Both her and Brendan really got into it by the end of the week.

(BTW she said thank you (with a blush) for the compliment!)

Quote:
Ok- I think I'm caught up now. Maybe I should do a little housework for a change...
Mmmm, nah it will still be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
So enjoying riding along with you.

Cannot believe all of the work you did for the ToT for DISers. I'm sure the kids will remember it for years and years.
So glad to have you reading along!! Thanks so much! I am so glad it went off well and everybody was so great, the ToT was a true group effort though, I had a terrific group of helpers!!

Quote:
And finally, we're Key West rookies. What are the top 3 "must do's"?

Thanks!
Well, in my opinion...

1. The number one thing to do/see in Key West if you have never been to it is the sunset festivities at Mallory Square. It is something like you have never seen before. There are eclectic performers, like people who balance stoves (as in yes...an OVEN...range...household size!) on their bodies, lots of performing and exotic animals (cats jumping through hoops), birds, iguanas, etc. There are also a lot of handcrafts for sale...handmade clothing and jewelry, ornaments, knick knacks and just cute little souvenirs like sea shells personalized with your name, etc. While visiting KW on a cruise it can be hard to stay out for the whole sunset because of when the ship departs (and the view of the actual sunset is better from the ship anyway. If you want a view from your balcony or porthole port side is where to have a room). But it would be totally worth it just to go to Mallory Square and walk around to see everything before going back to the ship. The festivities start at least 2 hours prior to the actual sunset.

2. Number 2 not miss is the Duval crawl. Whether you are into bars and drinking or not there is something for everyone on Duval. Yes, if you want bars you get the world famous Sloppy Joes, Captain Tony's, Irish Kevin's, Hog's Breath, Green Parrot...etc. I could go on and on. But there is a lot more. Great shopping, everything from novelties (yes some storefronts can be racy, some are just plain tasteless (last time we were there my kids loved this store that had a plastic butt on display out front that blew bubbles. It was called a "Bubble Butt" of course....) but there are also stores with beautiful artwork, gorgeous jewelry and stuff you just can't find back home, like the Kino sandal shop. Then there are the mainstream shops..(Gap, anyone..if you are in need of jeans and a hoodie), right on down to Margaritaville (a great family friendly place!). And you don't have to have transportation, the best of Duval is within walking distance.

3. Key Lime anything. No you can't go to KW without consuming something Key Lime. Pie, regular or chocolate covered on a stick, key lime cookies, candy, martinis, tarts,wine, cupcakes...something. The best places for the pie are nearby, either on Duval or right in the vicinity Kermit's and Blond Giraffe. Though I am partial to the frozen chocolate covered variety (sooo good!)

There are some small museums (butterfly and ship/pirate I think) as well as Hemingways House which is relatively inexpensive (around $8) and has the 6 toed cats which are very cool. Worth one visit IMO. If you are taking one of the tours, for tour quality (non stop) and info you will learn I recommend the Conch Train. If you want to get from place to place and have a tour at the same time, it's the Old Town Trolley. As far as the southernmost point, there is nothing to do down there except take the picture at the big bouy, and the lines do not subside. It is also (IMO) not within walking distance-tough some will say you can walk it...you can...it's just too much walking for me in hot KW, its at least 1 mile, each way.

Hope that helps a bit!!! If you have any specific questions about any of those things let me know!!! Thanks for reading, and enjoy planning your cruise!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Looking at these photos, I think I just instantly gained back all the weight I lost that I had acquired on the cruise!
LOL, sorry aboout that!! I never lost any of mine (yet?) so...

Quote:
Unfortunately, we were not able to score a brunch reservation. Judy had offered us a spot when the private room suddenly became free and there was some space, but we were not able to take her up on the offer. Oh well....something to look forward to for the next cruise maybe!
Oh! That's bummer. You are so right, though...there's always next time!
Are you guys booked on the "reunion" cruise? The 8/25/12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThomsLuvDisney View Post
The Stollen Bread is my absolute FAVORITE! We leave in 25 days for our next trip but since we are doing B2B on the Dream, we did not get Palo brunch ressies.
Oh no, I haven't been following the Dream threads too much yet since we won't be on one of the new ships until '12..is it that hard to get now that the ships are fuller? Or wait...you must be on one of the first cruises, I'll bet that's why!

Yesterday was so exciting watching the video of the Dream come home for the first time!!!!! I just don't know how we are going to make it waiting so long to experience it!

Quote:
I have been thinking about that darn Stollen Bread for months and how sad it will be not having any this trip. My DH thinks maybe I can request a plate just of Stoleen Bread......what do you think? I can't imagine they will do it, but it is Disney after all!!!!
Hey, its always worth asking- the worst they can say is no, right?? Maybe someone from your meet thread can get some for you although that might be a messy FE gift....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
One word for that post, *drool* Man that all looks yum-O!
OMG I know, and I was soooo hungry yesterday..and I was thinking look at how little I ate (the dessert plate was Ron's all I had was tiramisu and 2 pots de creme)...what the heck was I thinking... And I had only eaten about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pancakes.....but I still left out of there really full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
how many hours do I need to spend on the tread mill just for looking at this...LOL. SOOOOO yummy Jen!
Ha! Umm, yeah a few!!! I haven't been on a scale since I got back..I just don't want to know....lol!

It was really so, so very good!!!!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #229
Tinkerkell123
DIS Veteran

Well, I wasn't hungry when I started looking at all the brunch pix. Now, however... Oh, well, just 2.5 weeks until we're back aboard the Magic!!

Key West questions: So does the sunset party start around 4:00 this time of year? Is it posted anywhere when it starts? And 1 more... What is your favorite place to eat there?

REALLY enjoying your TR!

The DaSilva's are:
Bert(DH), Kelli (DW),Alex (DD13) and Kevin(DS10)
* !!Theme Park Commandos!! WDW Commando Member # 223
My 1st cruise TR:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post35341965
Tinkerkell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #230
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for the Key West advice! Now I'm waiting anxiously for your next ports of call. Bring on the updates!
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #231
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenner1 View Post
Oh! That's bummer. You are so right, though...there's always next time!
Are you guys booked on the "reunion" cruise? The 8/25/12?
Yes, we are! So, I'm hoping we will be able to experience brunch then. If not, that's o.k. I'm sure we will have a ton of other things to do on the Fantasy that will be completely new for us.

Any chance you (and Ellen!) can be convinced to come with?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #232
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

ok all caught up with your tr also! oy so much to comment on bare with me!

Brunch at palo, always jealous of those pics, someday I will get to endulge also. I dont know how you held back, that dessert table is enought to make me bust through the laptop and lick my screen LOL

Dinner from palo, yummy. omg it all looks so good I think i gained 10lbs just reading about it

You did such an awesome job on the lanyards and then just OUT DID YOURSELF on the TOT. How fun for all the kids.. and adults! Cute idea to make it a sort of scavenger hunt instead of just go to stop #1 #2 etc.

Oy key west just seems like a forget it were stopping at this place and eatting and mommys getting a drink before SHE has a meltdown. you have more stregnth then I do. I would have stayed at Margarittaville ordered a few drinks let the kids play at the pool lol.

So Ron, what did they say to you when ya got heckled?

Cant wait to read more, glad I havent missed too much!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #233
Thumbelina
NDI #161!!!!

I love the TR so far. I cant wait to read the rest! Your family is just so adorable. I loved your matching outfits. They were so cute! Thank you for sharing with us!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 AM   #234
TotallyAngelic
Disney Addict

wow .... the amazing Palo brunch !!! Lovely to see the photo of Sylvester Now why did I look at those photos when I have just started weight watchers !!!! ( and I totally blame Palo for my need to start weight watchers! )
TotallyAngelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #235
DundasDad
Mouseketeer

wow - very cool TR so far! I see this is 1/4 - where is the rest of it?

(Newbie here!)

Hmmm - I think I've figured it out, the 1/4 means last updated Jan 4th, right? Not 1 of 4 ...

Looking forward to the rest of it! Love your style
Port Orleans Riverside March 2009
Kissimmee Condo (Grumpy's Villa) March 2010
Western Magic March 2011
Eastern Magic & Port Orleans Riverside March 2012
Double Dip on the Dream July 2015

Last edited by DundasDad; 01-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.
DundasDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #236
myelton01
Mouseketeer

WHEW! Caught back up again! (my computer broke Christmas day and I just got it back yesterday evening.) I'm glad your Christmas went well! I finally told MIL that she was going on the cruise and she got so excited. The kids got their character calls but they couldn't have cared less about it, they just wanted to open presents.

Your ToT event looked AWESOME!!! Everyone looked like they had a great time! The kids looked great in their costumes. I think I have to agree with other posters, the pic of them on the white backdrop is my favorite.

Loved looking at the pics of the Kino's store! I saw 2 of my 3 pairs on display! I'm sorry Key West didn't go as well as you had planned. I'm glad you got to enjoy the beautiful sunset though, that was amazing!

The food at Palo looks so yummy! I should have eaten breakfast before I looked at all of it. I'm so glad Sarah played so well while you were at Palo. Savannah was great at her singing and I'm so impressed she didn't let Sarah ruin her time up there.

Sorry it's such a long reply! Hopefully my computer won't die on me and set me behind again! Can't wait to read more!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #237
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerkell123 View Post
Well, I wasn't hungry when I started looking at all the brunch pix. Now, however... Oh, well, just 2.5 weeks until we're back aboard the Magic!!
Woo hoo! 2 weeks now!!!

Quote:
Key West questions: So does the sunset party start around 4:00 this time of year? Is it posted anywhere when it starts? And 1 more... What is your favorite place to eat there?
Actually I'm not too sure but I know it starts well in advance of the sunset. The last time we were there for the entire thing was in '06 and we were out there about 2 hours or so, and it was in full swing when we arrived. I'd start checking around 4 PM or so, if you are in the area.

As far as eating goes...depends what you are in the mood for, super casual or even more casual. LOL. We ate at a nicer restaurant out on the water in '06 but the food or service wasn't all that great. Don't remember the name of it, sorry!!

We love BO Fishwagon for fish sandwiches. Its reasonably priced and the atmosphere is pure Key West (it's basically a shack LOL). It's where we wanted to eat but never made it there. Not too bad of a walk, its a couple of blocks off Duval on Caroline St.

We've also had some killer coconut shrimp at, of all places Sloppy Joe's. they used to ave a food takeout window, but I don't think they do anymore. Those were pricey for the serving size but they were really, really good.

Margaritaville is where we have eaten the most in KW but to be honest we have been less than impressed. The menu is very limited. You can't really go wrong with Cheeseburgers in Paradise, but again it is pricey here. Atmosphere is fun, but this is the smallest, most crowded and least entertaining of the Magaritaville's (no pools, slides, or even exploding volcanoes).

For Key Lime Pie (regular) Kermits and Blond Giraffe are great, the frozen ones on a stick that I have had are prepackaged so not sure if you are looking for one of those if you need to visit those places in particular or if they serve the same ones everyone else does.

Hope that helps a bit!!!

Quote:
REALLY enjoying your TR!
Thanks so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertraveller View Post
Thanks so much for the Key West advice! Now I'm waiting anxiously for your next ports of call. Bring on the updates!
You're very welcome!!! I'm hoping to have a new update up tonight or tomorrow. We are in Orlando this weekend and so far its been a little crazy. We were hoping to drive to Port C to see the Dream today or tomorrow but she is off on a CM cruise so we don't really have plans for tonight now. Maybe DTD, or maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Yes, we are! So, I'm hoping we will be able to experience brunch then. If not, that's o.k. I'm sure we will have a ton of other things to do on the Fantasy that will be completely new for us.

Any chance you (and Ellen!) can be convinced to come with?
Well, that date is still on our short list. Unfortunately the longer we have to wait for the other dates, the more the price is going up... That is the first week of school here and that is why we haven't considered it as strongly although that does have it's benefits as well (not missing as much school).

I would love to do like the Blues Brothers and "Get the band back together"..LOL, for now we'll just have to see what happens when they finally release the rest of the dates. (Was*so* hoping they were wrong when they told us April. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
ok all caught up with your tr also! oy so much to comment on bare with me!
No prob, I know you ad a rough new years I'll cut ya some slack....

Quote:
Brunch at palo, always jealous of those pics, someday I will get to endulge also. I dont know how you held back, that dessert table is enought to make me bust through the laptop and lick my screen LOL
Oh it had me drooling when I was writing it. At the time though I was still full from the night before...

Quote:
Dinner from palo, yummy. omg it all looks so good I think i gained 10lbs just reading about it
Yeah I packed on the pounds....I won;t look to see exactly but my guess is about 10. Pretty sure I haven't lost any yet. Sigh.

Quote:
You did such an awesome job on the lanyards and then just OUT DID YOURSELF on the TOT. How fun for all the kids.. and adults! Cute idea to make it a sort of scavenger hunt instead of just go to stop #1 #2 etc.
Thanks girl. I really am glad it went off so well. I always felt bad about not being involved more on the DDD. So I made sure that this time I could get the full on Dis experience. LOL!

Quote:
Oy key west just seems like a forget it were stopping at this place and eatting and mommys getting a drink before SHE has a meltdown. you have more stregnth then I do. I would have stayed at Margarittaville ordered a few drinks let the kids play at the pool lol.
LMAO. If we had had our suits I just might have. I don't know why we got frazzled and tried to do so much, it isn't like we hadn't been there before or wouldn't be back. That was my bad. Really everything would have been 2,000% better if we'd ave had the stroller though. Live n learn I guess!

Quote:
So Ron, what did they say to you when ya got heckled?
He says they said to him "Hey where are you going? Oh wait''''I've seen *that* look before...go on, go ahead..." Implying he was running to the bathroom!!

Quote:
Cant wait to read more, glad I havent missed too much!
LOL I'm trying to go faster but I can't hold a candle to Ellen... She's blown right on past me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbelina View Post
I love the TR so far. I cant wait to read the rest! Your family is just so adorable. I loved your matching outfits. They were so cute! Thank you for sharing with us!
Thank you so much for stopping by and for the compliments!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAngelic View Post
wow .... the amazing Palo brunch !!! Lovely to see the photo of Sylvester Now why did I look at those photos when I have just started weight watchers !!!! ( and I totally blame Palo for my need to start weight watchers! )
Aw yep, Sylvester was so awesome!! I know those pictures are so delicious (hey! it's lunchtime!!!) And yes it is all Palo's and DCL's fault. I have put on sooo much weight since we stated cruising so much in '07..most of it on the last 2 cruises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DundasDad View Post
wow - very cool TR so far! I see this is 1/4 - where is the rest of it?

(Newbie here!)
Thanks so much for coming by to read the TR! I am still working on finishing the report, I am a little bit slower of an updater but I will finish it I promise! I hope to have more posted this weekend but we are in Orlando so we'll see.

Quote:
Hmmm - I think I've figured it out, the 1/4 means last updated Jan 4th, right? Not 1 of 4 ...

Looking forward to the rest of it! Love your style
Yep! Thanks so much for the compliments, glad to have you reading along!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelton01 View Post
WHEW! Caught back up again! (my computer broke Christmas day and I just got it back yesterday evening.) I'm glad your Christmas went well! I finally told MIL that she was going on the cruise and she got so excited. The kids got their character calls but they couldn't have cared less about it, they just wanted to open presents.
Oh....they will come aroundt, they will, trust me!! Just wait! So glad your MIL is sharing your excitement though!!! Sorry about your computer, that stinks! Glad you are back online!!

Quote:
Your ToT event looked AWESOME!!! Everyone looked like they had a great time! The kids looked great in their costumes. I think I have to agree with other posters, the pic of them on the white backdrop is my favorite.
Thanks so much! Yes I do love the white one, we had a plain black one too that was also great (very similar to the white one) which must be why we switched it out for another photo. it is *SO* hard to limit those awesome Shutters photos.

Quote:
Loved looking at the pics of the Kino's store! I saw 2 of my 3 pairs on display! I'm sorry Key West didn't go as well as you had planned. I'm glad you got to enjoy the beautiful sunset though, that was amazing!
Yea it was a rough one and the hassle could have been avoided (to a point, lol) but it's OK, we still had fun and when I think back to that day I do tink of the good point first. I think Ron might even think I downplayed the difficulty we had, but that's what happens, the bad things float away.

Quote:
The food at Palo looks so yummy! I should have eaten breakfast before I looked at all of it. I'm so glad Sarah played so well while you were at Palo. Savannah was great at her singing and I'm so impressed she didn't let Sarah ruin her time up there.
Yes, Palo was sinfully good! It would have been terrible if Flounders had not worked out, but later int he week we dropped er off kicking and screaming and they were so great in there. They calmed her down like that. Can't say enough about the FR staff!

Quote:
Sorry it's such a long reply! Hopefully my computer won't die on me and set me behind again! Can't wait to read more!
LOL at my pace you won't miss too much sorry!!! We have been pretty busy. I hope to get more up this weekend!!

ETA to all: I had to edit out a bunch of smilies, sorry!!!!

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #238
nenner1

No Shoes, No Shirt....No Problems!

After brunch we had a few minutes before picking up Sarah, so we strolled through the Quiet Cove up on Deck 9. What a lovely day!!

It wasnít long before we had to go pick up the little munchkin though, and when we arrived at Flounders, she was sad to go. We were hopeful to schedule a little more time, and had no problems getting a slot later that afternoon so Ron and I could enjoy an adult beverage tasting!
For now though, clothes off, suits on and we were off to the pools!

The kidsí Mickey pool was just as crazy as it always is. We were very thankful to not experience one- not even a single- UFO closure this cruise! Yay!!

Brendan made a brief appearance; it wasnít so easy dragging him out of the Edge!

After we had our fill of screaming and splashing kidlets, we made our way midship to the even more crowded goofy family pool. Goofy was just finishing up his exercise session, followed by dancing up onstage with Daisy that Savannah really loved.

In between the pool splashing fun (does the Goofy pool look a little cloudy to you? Rest assured it was thick with chemicals, not bodily fluids but it didnít look too inviting. LOL!

Meanwhile, in between splashing and sunning, a few characters stopped by:

When Stitch came out, Sarah got very excited and began running around the little gazebo. Eventually Stitch was able to catch her for some photos, but it was pretty funny. (Video, click to play).

The kids got a snack from Pinocchioís and before you could blink an eye, it was already time to head down to the Beer tasting!

Brendan was already back at the Edge, we got the girls dried off and changed and Savannah grudgingly went to the Lab, and we dropped Sarah back off at Flounderís. We would discover later on that she was able to enjoy Storytime, with Belle! I donít think she quite realizes just how cool that isÖyet!

Meanwhile we were hurrying to the tasting in Diversions. We thought you had to buy tickets at Guest Services, and unfortunately while the line wasnít too long, it was ridiculously slow. Ron stayed in the line while I went to check out Diversions, maybe get seats and see if we were too late or not. As I walked in the entire room was completely full, and of course all eyes were on meÖlate to the ball. I asked the emcee (a server in the center of the room with a table of beers and a microphone) if it was too late and he said something to the effect of hurry up and have a seat, youíll be the last to join us. Of course Ron was still up at Guest Services in the line, so I scoured for seats and luckily found fellow Disers Bill and Nicole, whom we had enjoyed brunch with earlier, who had two seats still at their table. I went quickly back out to go get Ron, as when I explained my husband was buying the tickets, I was told that wasnít necessary, that they could just charge our cards right there in Diversions. We met each other in the hallway of Beat Street- he finally got to the front of the line just to be told no tickets were necessary, as Iíd just found out. In any event we went back to Diversions and had a seat just in time to enjoy our first beer.

One of the first things I realized was that Iíd forgotten my camera. So these pictures are snatched from around the Dis and the net. Not much has changed except that you are presented with a large plastic disk with little cork circles for you to place each of your beer samples into as you receive them instead of the paper placemats you see in some of the photos. You can see them in this picture below:

Now I am not much of a beer connoisseur- thatís Ronís job in this family! In fact I rarely drink beer, usually only defaulting to it when there are no other choices. So I did not expect to much enjoy this tasting, however I was wrong, I really liked it.

As the servers bring around the little beer samples, one at a time in about 6 ounce glasses, the emcee tells you interesting facts about beer production in general and in the creation of that beer specifically that you are drinking. Some folks are able to guess the beer; we didnít get anything too exotic. In fact the logos for the specific five beers you will be tasting are already displayed around the center of the coaster/disk you are given so as you go along the choices are narrowed, and you can often guess which beers you have by color and/or taste. We started with light beers and moved along to darker. (I told you I donít know much about beers!!)

We learned lots of stuff about the types of hops and grain to make beers, the beer making process, and little interesting tidbits, like the bubbles in beer are nitrogen and they usually ascend but in Guinness they descend. (I recalled hearing that in the talk only after reading it again in the beer tasting threads here while I was tolling for pics to share with yaíll.

The types of beers didnít vary too widely. Iíd heard of most of them, and like I said I donít know much about beer. We had a Fosters, a Stella Artois, a delicious Sam Adams, a Blue Moon, and Guinness. At the end we mixed the Blue Moon and Guinness to make a Black and Tan- which IMO made the Guinness a little more tolerable (we are not big Guinness fans, unless I am putting it in my chili, yummmmm!).

Some of the folks in the audience were a bit punchy, even at the beginning, and it made for quite a fun experience. The tasting didnít last too long, only about 45 minutes, but it was definitely a great way to spend a little bit of time onboard!

Afterwards we spent a sort amount of time relaxing back at the Quiet Cove. The pool wasnít too busy, and the afternoon weather was lovely. We enjoyed these small nuggets of quiet adult time as we could get them; they are few and far between for us.

Up Next: Princes, Princesses, and a Mouse.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #239
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

So Jealous no UFO's awesome!

Beer tasting Oh yeaaahhhhh! im still not into Guinness at all. unless its used to cook with. I love beer, but i dont steer too far so this was a nice "tasting"

Love that Sarah is getting so much special attention. How cool. What a great memory for years to come.

Glad you guys got special alone time also!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #240
livingis2me
DIS Veteran

Another great update!
It's fun to recall the beer tasting. I think it's so funny how everyone talks about Guiness being an acquired taste. Why train yourself to like something? If you don't like it to begin with... What makes someone think they have to teach themselves to like something that is supposed to be for pleasure???? And to think they drink it room temp in Europe... Oh well... I'm sure Europeans are looking at me and thinking how can he drink that ice cold Bud Light?

Tags
cruise, dcl, halloween, magic, trip report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: