Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
MyMagicKingdom
Mouseketeer

"Ohana means family. Family means no one is left behind - or forgotten."

I think releasing 157 balloons is a beautiful idea. I have seen balloons without strings released from bags as a PP said. I'm sure Disney could be very helpful with ideas as well. Please update us and let us know what you chose to do.

On an odd note, some of these threads are beautiful in that you can really see the love parents have for their children which is so very refreshing, despite the sadness. Last week, not too far away from where I live, a 21 year old father shot and killed his 3 month son in his arms because the police were called to his house after he told his mother (whom he was fighting with) not to. Stories like this make me beyond sick as a mother because I would put myself in front of whatever harm imaginable to keep my son safe and its nice to read about the love other parents have on here. Please know that while I can't imagine your loss and wish every parent that has a lost a child prayers, hope and strength, you all also show true love and that's beautiful. Hugs and love to all and I hope I haven't offended anyone in anyway at all with my statement. I hope it doesn't come out worded wrong, I just wanted to maybe share something positive with others.
*June 2009 (Honeymoon!!!) ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)/The Polynesian (Aotearoa)/Disney Wonder*
*August 2010 ~ Pop Century ..... First time celebrating my birthday in WDW and DS' first WDW trip!!!!!!*
*August 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge....My bday (again!) and DS' first trip to WDW!!! *
*January 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach*
*November 2013 ~ Caribbean Beach...surprise trip for the kids!!! First MVMCP!!!! *
MyMagicKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

Dear Kelly, I just read this thread and so sorry for the loss of your daughter. I read the story about the man who buys a balloon and gives it to a stranger in honor of someone. Have you thought about buying gifts that you would have bought for your daughter for her birthday and donating to a shelter?

My dad passed recently and he was a Santa. My daughter and I decided we are going to honor him by being a secret Santa to a family in need each year. Keeping the spirit alive, keeping the memories, remembering the love.

Amanda

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014 Booked!
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
scrappinmom
Still Tagless.......

I am so sorry for your loss - but so happy for you that you got to bring your beautiful daughter home with you.

My son died 12 years ago. He lived for only 2 days. He died in my husband's arms. I was never able to hold him, they whisked him away to a different hospital minutes after he was born, and I had a c section so I was still in the hospital. He was our second child, we had a 4 year old daughter at the time. She was the one and only reason I ever got up off the couch in the months that followed.

We too went to WDW as a family 5 months after my son died. I made my daughter a shirt that said "I'm the big sister" on the front and on the back "My brother is an angel - with a halo" - I'm sure some folks thought I meant the word "angel" in jest. But that's ok we knew what it meant.

We did a couple of different things, I bought a balloon each day for him and gave it to a family with a young boy. We paid for a families CRT breakast (this was before the whole dining plan thing).

I LOVE the balloon release idea, I agree & think calling disney to ask would be a great idea.

Every year at the holidays, I pick every boy off the angel tree at church that is Patrick's same age and buy those kids gifts. This year there was only one 12 year old boy on the tree, and he had a winter coat, boots and any "game" system on his list. It even said (can be used). So, we bought the coat, boots, and a Wii with 4 games. - extravagant yes, but if my son were here I'm sure I would have spent $400 on him, just like I did his sisters.

I hope you find a way to make the day special for you and your family. I know that going to WDW without your precious daughter will be so hard. I hope someday you can find comfort in knowing she is still with you each and every moment of your day.

hugs & love

scrappinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #19
GoofyGolferGirl
DIS Veteran

First of all, I am really sorry for your loss, I lost a DD at birth and can say the pain of the loss never goes away but it does dull, making you able to talk about them without tears. I thought about buying those little bottles of bubbles (like they use in a wedding) and giving them to other children in the park esp. those waiting in long lines. You could put a sticker on them that says in memory of your DD. Whatever you do I hope you have a magical trip!!
GoofyGolferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: