Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #91
TheTXTaylors5
He's the Mickey to my Minnie

Our itinerary has been updated in Post #4.

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

TheTXTaylors5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #92
TheTXTaylors5

1 Day Until ... Our Vacation Begins!

Jennifer
2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR Trip Report ,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH (DLR) Trip Report, POR Trip Report , SSR Trip Report, BWV Trip Report , POFQ ~ DAP; 2010:BWV(2xs), ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) Trip Report ~ Napa Rose Review, AKV ~ DCL(Wonder) Trip Report; 2011:BCV(2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ F&W, MNSSHP, MVMCP, 1st 5K Race! ~ DCL(Dream);2012: AKV, BWV, BLT ~ F&W, MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy) ~ CC5K;2013: 04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ EEC & F&G, 10/Pop ~ F&W, 12/DLH (DLR), 12/PPH (DLR); 2014: 06/DCL ~ Wonder (Alaska), 08/DLH (DLR), 10/DCL - Magic (Southern Caribbean); 11/AKV;2015: 01/AKV ~ WDW Marathon Weekend, 04/ABD - CA/GCH(DLR)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #93
TheTXTaylors5

Bill (DH) took our DIScat, Minnie, to the boarder this morning. She did NOT want to get into her pet carrier. It was a sight! For a little thing, she is feisty! Now, I just have to remember to pick her up on December 30th. That is a long time to board her. I hope she forgives us. I wish there was a pet-friendly hotel ON-PROPERTY at WDW.

Jennifer

Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #94
TheTXTaylors5

I do not blog or do live Trip Reports. We leave the laptop at home. So, when we get back, I will turn this Pre-Trip Report into a Trip Report. Bill just bought me a "back-up" memory card with over 3,000 pictures capability. Expect lots and lots of pictures on the Trip Report.

Until then ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Jennifer

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #95
gellybean
DIS Veteran

Merry Christmas Jennifer!!

Wishing y'all a safe drive and a fabulous trip!!! We'll be there in just 5 short days!! I'll keep my eyes peeled for y'all!!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
gellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #96
TheTXTaylors5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
Merry Christmas Jennifer!!

Wishing y'all a safe drive and a fabulous trip!!! We'll be there in just 5 short days!! I'll keep my eyes peeled for y'all!!
Time to get out of this Texas cold for some Florida cold. What is wrong with that sentence????? It has been colder in Florida than here. Glad the pools are heated!

Have a safe trip down to the "world".

Jennifer

Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #97
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

Safe travels Taylor family!!!!!

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #98
Pooh_Girl
I have a rumbly in my tumbly!!

You guys be safe and have TONS of fun!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #99
Nemo32
DIS Veteran

Hope you're having a blast!!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #100
TheTXTaylors5

Wow! What an amazing trip! Now, that is my teaser!

After the New Year's celebrations, I will get to work on this Trip Report. Until then ...

"Happy New Year Everyone! "

Jennifer

Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #101
TheTXTaylors5

I can’t believe how quickly our trip went by. After months and months of planning and anticipation …. WHOOSH! The trip is over and I am back at home. What a trip!!!!!! I have many wonderful memories that are priceless. I can’t thank Bill enough for taking us on this truly magical trip. He really is a great guy that can’t say “No!” to his family. I appreciate all his hard work that enabled us to take this trip. Thank you Bill!!!!! I love having a “Disney Husband”. He gets “it”.

I needed a calendar to keep straight what we did when on this trip. As you will soon see, things don’t always go as planned. An itinerary is a nice thing to have. But, making changes along the way is needed sometimes. With that written, time to start this Trip Report ...

Happy Reading!

Jennifer

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #102
TheTXTaylors5

DAY ONE
FRIDAY - December 10, 2010

We always have grand plans of getting on the road at 5:00 am. But, rarely does that happen. The alarm went off at 4:00 am. The rooster wasn’t even up yet! Another ten minutes wouldn’t put us too far behind. So, Bill hit the snooze button. Well, sleeping in an extra ten minutes turned into another hour of slowly getting out of bed. I just couldn’t get moving this morning. Usually, the thought of our final destination “Disney World” has me awake all night and I am just waiting for the alarm clock to buzz and hop in the car. I was moving slowly this morning. I honestly just think I was exhausted from all the pre-trip packing and running around. My mind and body were ready for this trip to finally start. Luckily, I had everything packed the night before and waiting by the front door for Bill to do his magic and make it all fit into the SUV. It was like a puzzle getting everything to fit. But, he did it! After Bill packed up the SUV and the kids were buckled in their seats, I went back inside to make one final walk through. At this time, I quickly played Santa and put the Christmas presents under the tree and filled the stockings. Santa would be visiting our home while we are away. Thank goodness because I don’t know where Santa would have hidden all that stuff in the SUV! We had no more room! I can’t wait to see the kids’ faces when we get home. This is the first year our oldest Will (DS10) is “in” on the Santa secret. Emily (DD8) and Cole (DS5) are still believers. This will be our first Christmas away from home. I hope this Christmas doesn’t ruin it for them. We’ll see how it goes. We finally pulled out of the driveway around 6:00 am. We’re on our way to Walt Disney World!

We drove through east Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to get to the Sunshine State of Florida. With our new GPS, she had us go the northern route. We were running behind and the northern route is quicker. Bill gave me “the look” and I knew we weren’t passing near New Orleans this trip. Boooo! Maybe next time we can make the stop. I am sure we’ll be making this road trip again. Today was VERY uneventful.

On the road with the Taylors ...

Emily enjoying the road trip.

Bill cruising in the family truckster.

Cole dreaming of Disney World.

The kids kept busy with their games and movies. We had an ongoing game of find the license plate thanks to a fellow DISer and their USA map for the license plate game. Bill downloaded some Podcasts. So, we had fun listening to those.

Our trusty new ride.

This was our first road trip in Bill's new Toyota Sequoia. We had been traveling around the USA in a Honday Odyssey for the past six years. I have to say, I love the Sequoia! It was very roomy and comfortable for the 19 hours drive. The heated leather seats came in handy a few mornings. Brrrr! (More on that later.). Also, the leather seats will be a savior on the ride home (stay tuned!).

We crossed into Florida around 5:00 pm. However, our hotel wasn’t for another five hours away (east of Tallahassee). At least we were in the same state as Disney World. That always feels nice. We have a favorite Holiday Inn Express we like to stay at which is only four hours from WDW. That makes a short drive the next day.

Holiday Inn Express - Madison, Florida

I laid my head on the pillow around 11:00 pm. I drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face because this time tomorrow, I’d be sleeping on a pillow at Walt Disney World! Now, I was getting that giddy feeling and couldn't wait for morning to come!

COMING UP: Arriving at Walt Disney World and staying at our “home” for the first time at Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House.

Jennifer

Old 01-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #103
TheTXTaylors5

DAY TWO
SATURDAY - December 11, 2010

We slept in a little this morning and didn’t leave the hotel until around 8:00 am. My Mom was flying into MCO today and would land around 11:00 am (Florida time). We didn’t want to subject her to confinement with the kids in the car. Also, she has to be back to work on Monday after the cruise. So, flying only made sense. We were on a race to see who would make it to WDW first ... Disney’s Magical Express or a Toyota Sequoia. The race is on!

After Bill filled up the SUV, there was nothing stopping us and our mission to Walt Disney World. About two hours into our trip, I glanced up and saw a billboard for Starbucks next exit. A little pick-me- up would be nice right about now. So, we made a quick detour for some caffeine. As some of you may know, there isn’t a Starbucks on Disney property. So, you’d better get your fix before stepping onto WDW property (Just a warning!). However, I have heard “rumors” they may start building Starbucks stands/kiosks on property. Wishful thinking maybe. Only time will tell. While Bill was inside getting our drinks, I get a call on my cell phone. It was my Mom!!!!! She was still on the plane at MCO. Phew! I just couldn’t believe she was already in Orlando. I racked my brain to think how she is already there! Silly me! I forgot to take the time difference into consideration when trying to plan our rendezvous. We live in CST. I didn’t tell her we were about two hours away. I told her to take her time and call us when she arrives at the resort. As Bill approaches the SUV, I give him the news that my Mom is already at MCO. So, he puts the pedal to the metal and off we go.

Almost there!

Just as we are turning onto I-4, I get the call from my Mom that she just arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge. She beat us!!!! We’re about ten minutes away. So, I tell her to relax in the lobby and I’ll call her when we pull up outside.

The winner is ...

It never gets old doing our countdown when passing under the Walt Disney World resort sign. I know we're not the only ones that do it. It always chokes me up. We are at our home away from home. Let the fun begin!

The sweetest sign in the world!

We’ve visited Animal Kingdom Lodge and Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village. But, we have never stayed at either. So, I was excited to stay at Jambo House (main lodge) before the cruise and Kidani Village after the cruise (DVC resort). I called my Mom as we were pulling up to the guard shack around Noon. It was fun pulling up and seeing the holiday garland. We’ve arrived!

Animal Kingdom Lodge

I couldn’t wait to get inside the resort and see the huge tree in the atrium that I have seen numerous pictures of over the years. Bill pulled to the curb and he ran in to check-in. My Mom came outside after Bill was inside for about five minutes. She looked so happy to finally be on vacation. I don’t know if I told y’all but she lost my step-Dad almost three years ago. It was very sudden. They were supposed to go on a cruise for their Twenty-Fifth Wedding Anniversary. But, he died two months before that cruise ever happened. She has never been on a cruise. So, she was VERY happy to finally be cruising. We embark the Disney Wonder tomorrow. Also, this is our first “major” trip with her. She is excited to experience Walt Disney World with her grandchildren. Bill came out and told me that our room was not ready yet. This is very typical when we stay DVC. The only DVC resort we have ever stayed that had our room ready upon arrival was Saratoga Springs. It honestly gets to be annoying when you want to get into your room, unpack and freshen-up before heading to a park. We ended up giving our luggage to a porter and would call them later to deliver the bags when we finally get into our room. I didn't get to enjoy the lobby yet. That would have to wait until later.

The Taylors at Epcot

We had an ADR at Biergarten that evening as part of a Candlelight Processional Package. So, we decided to head to Epcot for a light lunch and to purchase our Annual Passes. Hopefully, we could get a couple of rides in before dinner. We arrived at Epcot around 1:30 pm (I keep estimating the times because I honestly don’t remember the exact times we did what. So, the times are just to give you a gauge on the flow of our days.) Since we participated in the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day volunteer program, we decided to use our vouchers towards our Annual Pass purchases. We were also able to use our DVC discount on the APs. Every bit helps! We did not use one of the vouchers for our AP purchases though. Since we got to the park so late, the Soarin’ Fastpasses were already gone for the day. So, we took advantage of the immediate-use Fastpass card option for the other GAD voucher. Bill bought my Mom a regular Magic Your Way ticket for the duration of her stay. So, we were able to get six (6) of the FP cards. Also, we were given these really cute VoluntEar pins to wear.

Give A Day Fastpass Cards

VoluntEar pin

For information on Epcot click HERE .

Once we entered the turnstile into Epcot, we all agreed that we needed food. Our first thought was “Let’s get some fish and chips at Yorkshire County Fish Shop in the UK Pavilion at World Showcase”. This is one of our favorite counter service places at Epcot. However being a Saturday, the line was super long. So, we opted for the newish counter service near the Canada Pavilion (It used to be McDonald’s). They had items like fried shrimp which Will (DS10) got and meat-filled and cheese-filled empanadas which Bill (DH) got. Cole (DS5) just munched on what they got. Nothing sounded yummy to Emily (DD8) or I. So, I just got a Duffy rice crispy treat to share with her. Duffy is the Disney Bear that has merchandise EVERYWHERE on property right now. He originally started at Tokyo Disney Sea and has made his way to the states. He's Mickey's teddy bear that Minnie made for him. It's a cute story. Read more about Duffy HERE . At WDW, you can only meet him at Epcot. Will a Duffy come home with us???? You'll just have to wait and see ...

Emily with our Duffy Bar

Will said his shrimp and fries were good. But, Bill was NOT raving about the empanadas. Luckily, this was a light lunch. We would get our fair share of food at the buffet dinner later. Once everyone finished their food, we made our way to The Land, home to Soarin’.

Mom and Emily after Soarin'

For information on the attraction Soarin', click HERE.

We thought my Mom would like this attraction and wanted it to be her first taste of Walt Disney World. We already knew the Fastpasses were gone for the day, thanks to the information board upon our entrance. So, Bill headed to the special Fastpass machine kept open just for the GAD FP cards. It spit out six FP tickets ready for use that minute. Off we were to enter the FP line. I believe the stand-by line was almost two hours at this time. Thank you Fastpasses!!!!! Now, my Mom is a very chatty person and was talking with the people in line behind us telling them that this is her first time on Soarin’. The woman behind us was telling her how it lifts up and moves. I could see it on my Mom’s face that she was freaking out a little. In my mind I was yelling at that woman to stop talking! I know my Mom will love this attraction, if I could just coax her on after the idiot behind us scared her to death. Luckily, my Mom trusted me and knew I would not put her on anything I didn’t think she could handle. OMG! From the time we made the first Swoosh! into the sky, my Mom was laughing and smiling. She loved it!!!! It was so fun seeing her experience this attraction. In the past, we had to do Rider Switch because Cole got freaked on this attraction at Disney’s California Adventure. I am not one to take a screaming kid on an attraction. It is traumatizing to the child and bothersome to the people around them. I am proud to say, Cole walked off Soarin’ today telling Bill, “I want to ride again!” I am glad that Cole got over his Soarin’ fears on his terms. Finally, we can start riding it as a family again. Yea!!!!

Mom and the kids in front of Test Track.

For information on the attraction Test Track, click HERE.

Emily’s favorite ride in all of Walt Disney World is Test Track at Epcot. So of course we had to ride it with Grandma. Off we headed to Test Track. Bill walked a little ahead of us to gather our immediate-use Fastpasses. My Mom walks at a rather slow pace compared to our normal WDW walking. So, we had to slow it down a bit this trip for her. We met Bill just as he was walking away from the FP machine and hopped into the FP line. Again, my Mom starts chatting with the people behind us and again the woman starts to freak out my Mom (a different woman this time). The woman made it sound like we were taking my Mom on a rollercoaster as she describes the inside portion with all the turns and hills. Again, my Mom trusts my judgment and hops into our Test Track car. My Mom is not a “ride” person I discovered this trip. But, she DID like Test Track. We decided we should give my Mom a ride break and headed to Club Cool to try some different Coca Cola products from around the world. Bill said he would meet us in there as he rushed off to god knows where. The kids and I all know about the Beverly as we have all tried it during past trips. This time, we had a new” victim” to try it. My Mom was trying all the sodas and when she came to the Beverly, I had my camera waiting …

Mom's first taste of the Beverly.

She had the same expression as most people that drink it. Yuck! My favorite is the Costa Rica soda.

Cheers!

Bill met up with us with a bag in his hand. He surprised me, my Mom and Emily with sparkly Minnie ears. Thank you Bill!

Emily and I with our sparkly ears.

At this time, we decided to head back into World Showcase and started in Mexico to slowly make our way to Germany for our 5:25 pm ADR at Biergarten.

COMING UP: Dinner at Biergarten and Candlelight Processional

Last edited by TheTXTaylors5; 01-28-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #104
bigmoonmullen
Disney Adventurer

Hi Jennifer,

Good stuff!!! Will keeping watching your trip report.

Did you get the pictures of your mother singing off my facebook page?

If not, let me know where to send them.

Mark
2008 - Dolphin / OKW (Nov/Dec)
2009 - Dolphin (Oct)
2010 - Swan / POD2.0 / Swan (Dec)
2011 - ABD - Backstage Magic Tour (Apr)
2011 - Oct - Fun with friends
2012 - May - VWL & BCV
2012 - Oct - BCV & DCL Fantasy
Upcoming:
2012 - Dec - BCV & DCL Fantasy
bigmoonmullen is offline   Reply With Quote