Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

We were at Disney World 19-26 December. We were at rope drop every morning and really didn't notice heavy crowds until 11 or 12. We didn't go to a park on Christmas. We went to DTD and then toured resorts looking at Christmas decorations, ending with dinner at one of the resorts. It worked really well for us. The parks sounded like they were crowded on Christmas but if you went early with a plan and the expectation that you wouldn't get to do a lot of attractions that day, I think it would still be enjoyable. We would defnitely go to Disney at this time again and are already talking about a future trip. If you can make it in earlier December, though, that time would be better for crowd levels.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #17
amzking
DIS Veteran

We went 12/24-12/28 last year, and I didn't want to leave. Christmas Eve we did the Candlelight Processional and Illuminations. We were in MK on Christmas day and though it was a zoo, we thoroughly enjoyed it. We did Christmas dinner at Liberty Tree - yummy. We did the Osbourne lights and a sleigh ride around Fort Wilderness. AK was open late so we did Everest at night, which is a rarity. Snow on Main Street. We toured all the deluxe hotels to see the decorations. We didn't touch our car the whole time - WDW transportation all the way, and when we left and saw the backup of cars entering the TTC I was amazed.

I think if you are a Disney veteran and are not going to hit all the rides but instead soak up the atmosphere and just "be" in Disney for Christmas, then you will do fine. If you want to see and do everything, choose another time to go. I went knowing that we would probably never do it again (we are Fl residents and usually get seasonal, not annual passes) so I just wanted to make it an experience we would not forget, and it wasn't!
amzking is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
SunniKC
Mouseketeer

We were there over Christmas 2009...from the 21st to the 29th. We spent Christmas Eve at Epcot and went to the Candlelight Processional which could not have been more appropriate and beautiful. Then Christmas morning we got up and headed for early ADR's at Magic Kingdom (crystal palace)...crowds in the morning were actually not bad but heard the park closed several times throughout the day, actually crowds at DTD later that same day were FAR worse than we'd seen at MK. There was something totally magical about spending the most magical day of the year walking about MK. We did lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and left the park around 3 (we were spending the remainder of the day with my niece at her apartment before going to DTD with her for dinner and to watch her boyfriend perform).
So yes, the magic more than made up for the crowds...we skipped things we'd have loved to do because of ride wait times (like shows and parades). I'd do it again in a heartbeat--but would stick to my plans more and use FP's more. It was our first trip as a family and first for any of use since 1990 (that was my last trip...dh's was several years prior).
AK was by far our worst experience, in the beginning it was fine, headed straight upon rope drop to the safari and walked right on but as the day went on the crowds became horrid with wait times on rides over 2 hours and with the volume of people walking place to place was very difficult.
SunniKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
lovndisney12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michst8alum View Post
We also just got back. We were there from 12/18 to 12/26 and absolutely loved it. The key is to get to the parks at rope drop. We rode everything we wanted multiple times in a morning. TSM 4 times each morning, Space Mt. 2 or 3 times, Expedition Everest 3 times (single rider line)... The parks are pretty empty until around 11 then we would do the shows or the less popular rides. We never waited longer than 20 minutes for a ride. Late night to us was a joke. The park was as crowded at 11 at night, we finally just went back to the room around 10. I will admit this is a tiring schedule. You have to be up by 6:30 am to be at the parks by 8, so it is not a relaxing schedule, but if you do it, you will do everything! To do this you must stay on property. EMH's are great! We also did DHS on Christmas, we weren't going to do MK on Christmas, that is the one park that will have level closing during the day.

Don't miss the Osborn lights, but for a true Christmas experience the Candlelight processional is not to be missed. We did it twice and both times it brought tears to our eyes!
Our experience was very similar. We got there at rope drop - walked on to most rides and used fast passes for others. On 12/26 we were able to ride TSM 4 times by noon.

We too had always gone during slower times and was very nervous about our first time actually over Christmas. Could not imagine being there when every day was considered a 10 according to the crowd calendars. But, we had a wonderful time and did not feel that the morning crowds were any different than other times of years. We noticed much larger crowds for the parades and fireworks. Because of getting up early for rope drops and an occasional 7 AM EMH - we were usually back at the resort in the afternoon for a rest (swim for the kids).

11/14 ASM - (Just me & DS 13 - conference)
12/10 POFQ (DS 12 & DS 9)
12/08 POFQ (DS 10 & DS 7)
1/07 CSR (Just me - conference)
10/05 Off-site (DS 7 & DS 4)
10/03 Off-site (DS 5 & DS 2)
6/97 Off-site (no kids)
12/96 CBR (DH first time / 1st anniversary)[/[/SIZE]
lovndisney12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, crowds

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: