Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #451
courtiebabe420
Earning My Ears

Size question

Last edited by courtiebabe420; 06-06-2014 at 11:01 PM.
courtiebabe420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #452
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

It's not easy to judge how much more leeway you get with the revised "yellow light" safety harness. I will be finding out myself in a few weeks.
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2011, 02:48 AM   #453
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtiebabe420 View Post
So my B/F and I are going to IOA tomorrow with some friends. We have annual passes, but he just moved here, so he hasn't been to IOA yet. We're going to ride on FJ, but we're both a little concerned he won't fit. He says he's prepared to not be able to ride, but I know it would make me feel better if I asked some of you what you thought.

So here's the deal: I'm 5' 7", about 240, and I fit in the regular seat just fine about 2 weeks ago. I'm not worried about me. But he's about 5' 8", 5' 9", 300lbs. Size 44/46 pants, and usually 2xl or 3xl shirts. At the Rip, Ride, Rockit, he didn't fit, but that was because the hip/leg harness wouldn't go around his thighs. I barely fit in that coaster some days.

So what do you think? Will he have trouble, or will he be able to fit in the modified seats? The more I read, the less I worry, but I'm the girlfriend, so it's my job to worry. Thanks in advance!!
It may depend on where he carries his weight. For example you said that you are 5'7" and 240lbs. When I was there last September (prior to the modified seating being introduced), I did not fit in the middle seats, but did fit in the larger end seats. I was 5'6" and 230lbs at that time. When I went back in Oct I was 5'6" and 220lbs. I still didn't fit in the middle seats, but did fine in the end seats. My husband who is 5'9" and about 240lbs was able to squeeze into the regular middle seat, but was very squished. He did fine in the end seats (both modified and nonmodified). I carry my weight in my stomach, butt, and thighs. All of his weight is in his chest and arms.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #454
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

My husband did not fit in the test seat outside the ride. Then a tm came over and said just to tell them he needed modified and he would fit in that seat. He is 6' 4" and about 280 with broad shoulders and a long torso. When we went throught he line we told them he needed modified and the inside tm said no problem just pick an outside seat on the bench. He fit in and the tm pushed down quiet a few clicks until it was tight. Hubby said the harnish was harsh on his shoulders, but worth it in the end...hope this helps someone. Without modified, he probably wouldnt have been able to ride.

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #455
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Sure am glad I was able to lose about 100 lbs... now if only I wouldn't get sick!
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #456
courtiebabe420
Earning My Ears

UPDATE: Size Question

So we went today, and the first seats we tested were the Dragon Challenge seats. The B/F was unable to fit in those, mostly because he couldn't get the harness down over his shoulders. He's a short-statured guy, and although a lot of his weight is in his stomach, he's broad shouldered, and big chested, too. So he didn't try the seats at FJ, since they are similar. But now it's a goal, to be able to fit in the seats. But he had fun just being in Harry Potter world, and we got to celebrate the millionth butterbeer sold, and got free ones! Thanks everyone for their thoughts!
courtiebabe420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #457
linnell
DIS Veteran

I was there this weekend and very nervous about fitting. I am a female, size 20/22. I carry my weight in my hips and belly, so I was concerned. I tried the test seat outside and got the yellow light. I went through the line, told the first CM (or whatever they are called there) that I needed a modified seat and she said to sit on either end. I did and pulled the bar down and got the three clicks on my own. Big sigh of relief.

I rode it three more times, never an issue. One of the times one of the CMs just asked me to sit on the end. The last time I pulled it down and didn't hear clicks, but the CM pushed down and gave me a thumbs up.

I honestly didn't feel like it was a tight fit for me at all. Once the ride was going, I was sliding around the seat a lot, in fact.

I hope that helps someone!

linnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #458
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
My husband did not fit in the test seat outside the ride. Then a tm came over and said just to tell them he needed modified and he would fit in that seat. He is 6' 4" and about 280 with broad shoulders and a long torso. When we went throught he line we told them he needed modified and the inside tm said no problem just pick an outside seat on the bench. He fit in and the tm pushed down quiet a few clicks until it was tight. Hubby said the harnish was harsh on his shoulders, but worth it in the end...hope this helps someone. Without modified, he probably wouldnt have been able to ride.
Did he get the red light? But he was still able to ride? Wishing there'd been a CM when hubby was trying the seat, if that's what happened with your husband... Sigh.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #459
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

I am less than two weeks away from Round 2 with FJ's Sorting Fat. Although there's no way to know at this point, I am not optimistic. I heard no clicks at all last August with the "regular" test seats, both outside and inside. Strangely enough, I have managed to ride The Simpsons, Revenge of the Mummy, and even the notoriously confining Ripsaw Falls (before it burned up, anyway). I knew about the seat harness situation before my first try at FJ, but was still surprised when I failed.

Any recent experiences/observations with the modified seats? Have there still been instances of people failing the test seats, but riding anyway?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #460
bouncy54
I Believe In Fairy Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIChessGuy View Post
I am less than two weeks away from Round 2 with FJ's Sorting Fat. Although there's no way to know at this point, I am not optimistic. I heard no clicks at all last August with the "regular" test seats, both outside and inside. Strangely enough, I have managed to ride The Simpsons, Revenge of the Mummy, and even the notoriously confining Ripsaw Falls (before it burned up, anyway). I knew about the seat harness situation before my first try at FJ, but was still surprised when I failed.

Any recent experiences/observations with the modified seats? Have there still been instances of people failing the test seats, but riding anyway?
Hmmm.. I rode FJ twice in November. I am 5'3" and am size 24 with a lot of my weight around my middle. I tried the test seat outside the attraction and got the yellow light so knew that I had to use the modified seat once I got to the attraction. I had no problems fitting on the ride at all. Went on it twice!

This picture was taken in November at the Magic Kingdom. Hope I've been helpful!
bouncy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #461
auntylinda
Earning My Ears

What has been people's experiences with the test seats? Is there a lot of people trying them? I wouldn't feel so bad if there were. Also, are they pretty discrete about the whole thing? I am going with my super small boyfriend and I don't want to make a fool of myself.
auntylinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #462
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

I made my second trip to WWoHP this morning and made it onto one of FJ's modified seats. This time the outside seat-tester did not call me over. And I walked right past the inside test seats as well. When I pulled down on my ride seat's safety harness, the clicks came in a hurry; I know I heard at least two but wasn't sure about the third. The team member came over, did a perfunctory tug on the restraint, and that was it. I was worried that she was going to say that there hadn't been a third click. But nope, she said nothing and off I went.

Oddly enough, after all that, the ride proved to be a bit much for me. I had planned to go again right away via the single-rider line. However, as an older person not in the best of shape, I decided that one ride would suffice. The other thing is that I am not a super-hardcore Harry Potter fan. But the ride is extremely clever and I can definitely see how many people would wait a long time for a second ride. (Incidentally this is not an issue during the current slow season; gates opened for off-site people around 8:48 a.m. today and you could get right on FJ with essentially zero wait. Even Ollivander's was a short wait for the first part of the morning.)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #463
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

We just came back and DH (5' 10", 270 lb) rode with no problem in a non-modified seat. He said that it was a little tight, but anyone with a 44" or smaller waist should be just fine. His weight is mostly legs and butt if that matters.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #464
Tink2Day
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntylinda View Post
What has been people's experiences with the test seats? Is there a lot of people trying them? I wouldn't feel so bad if there were. Also, are they pretty discrete about the whole thing? I am going with my super small boyfriend and I don't want to make a fool of myself.
I don't think it's a problem. I sat in one just to see if it was comfortable, not because of size and my tall travelmate did the same to make sure the height wouldn't be an issue like some rides at Disney. There were a couple of people who sat in them to pose for pictures and my friend who is around a size 18 tried them because of all the talk and said no one even looked twice.
Tink2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #465
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer

I went back for my second ride on FJ this morning. This time, I definitely heard only two clicks. A TM came over and said, "You need another click," and pushed down on the harness to get the third one. He didn't seem to be straining that much. I had made it past the outside and inside test seats without being called over, same as Monday. I definitely appreciated the TM's getting me that final click, as it wasn't clear to me whether they always do that or whether the harness-pushing is left up to the individual TMs. Maybe another one would have kicked me out. I wanted to submit a complimentary note to management about it, but couldn't see his name tag in the dim lighting before he moved on to the next ride bench.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: