Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

You can also see some of the construction through the trees if you ride the railroad from Frontierland to Toontown.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #17
TinkerMouse
Mouseketeer

I'm wondering if the Gaston's Tavern restaurant will have Gaston, the bimbettes and Lefou show up from time to time. I think that would be fun.

Does anyone know why the Little Mermaid ride took about twenty years to be made? The platinum edition DVD from years ago has a bonus feature that talks about the ride that never was and virtually takes you through the whole thing. When they first announced that they were making this ride I immediately thought about the DVD and thought "Wow so NOW they're going to do it". Why after two decades? I guess there is more incentive when there wasn't before. Anyway, I want to ride it to see if it's just like the DVD because the new pictures essentially say it is. I liked that virtual ride.

WDW: Oct ‘97 OS...Aug ‘02 OS & The Grand Floridian...Aug-Sept ‘04 Coronado Springs...Sept ‘05 The Polynesian DL: Aug ‘07 The Disneyland Hotel...2008-2009~8 trips with AP~2 BDAYs DCL: Aug-Sept ‘02 The Disney Wonder~4-night Bahamas...Aug-Sept ‘05 The Disney Magic~the original 14-night Eastbound Panama Canal cruise~Sweet 16...May 2010 The Disney Magic~11-night Mediterranean~21st BDAY
TinkerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerMouse View Post

Does anyone know why the Little Mermaid ride took about twenty years to be made? The platinum edition DVD from years ago has a bonus feature that talks about the ride that never was and virtually takes you through the whole thing. When they first announced that they were making this ride I immediately thought about the DVD and thought "Wow so NOW they're going to do it". Why after two decades? I guess there is more incentive when there wasn't before. Anyway, I want to ride it to see if it's just like the DVD because the new pictures essentially say it is. I liked that virtual ride.
Actually it's been under construction in California for some time! It was announced as an addition to California Adventure in fall 07 and is slated to open this year.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #19
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
The platinum edition DVD from years ago has a bonus feature that talks about the ride that never was and virtually takes you through the whole thing. ... Anyway, I want to ride it to see if it's just like the DVD because the new pictures essentially say it is. I liked that virtual ride.
I don't have the DVD -- what's the virtual ride like?

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

More information about Ariel's attraction is in the first post. There is a video with an Imagineer talking about the attraction and some sneak peaks.
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #21
TinkerMouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Actually it's been under construction in California for some time! It was announced as an addition to California Adventure in fall 07 and is slated to open this year.
I know this. For all of my visits to DCA & DL in 2009 there were huge construction walls for Mermaid ride and World of Color. The DVD is older than 2007 since it came out in 2006 meaning that they most likely put it together in 2005. This could imply that they put the ride on the DVD in order to promote it early just as they did with the reopening of the Sleeping Beauty castle walk through back in 2008. So there is still a something teen year difference from when they first came up with the idea for the ride after the film became popular in the early nineties and 2007. My question is about this over a decade break between the conception of the idea and the execution of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlioz70
More information about Ariel's attraction is in the first post. There is a video with an Imagineer talking about the attraction and some sneak peaks.
Thanks, but I watched the sneak peak video before I made my first post and it is essentially a much less detailed version of the DVD tour. The people presenting it didn't seen to mention the original conception of the ride's idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina
I don't have the DVD -- what's the virtual ride like?
The designs and colors are very cute. You essentially go through the entire movie. You're in your little clam shell car, go backwards into the "water" which is this area underneath this light up "water's surface" and because of this surface (I have no clue what it would be made of) it actually does kind of look like you dive underwater. For the "Kiss the girl" scene you come up out of the water and onto the surface which already has Ariel and Eric floating on it in their row boat. Just like the video linked on the page shows you also go into Ursula's lair and are there for "Under the Sea". I really liked it. I'm pretty sure the actual ride will be the same thing just as the Sleeping Beauty walk through ended up practically the exact same thing that was on the DVD.

Does this mean that no one really knows why there was such a break in the ride's production? I ask this because on the DVD they act as if they came up with the idea in the early nineties and talk about how it was a ride that never was.

WDW: Oct ‘97 OS...Aug ‘02 OS & The Grand Floridian...Aug-Sept ‘04 Coronado Springs...Sept ‘05 The Polynesian DL: Aug ‘07 The Disneyland Hotel...2008-2009~8 trips with AP~2 BDAYs DCL: Aug-Sept ‘02 The Disney Wonder~4-night Bahamas...Aug-Sept ‘05 The Disney Magic~the original 14-night Eastbound Panama Canal cruise~Sweet 16...May 2010 The Disney Magic~11-night Mediterranean~21st BDAY
TinkerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
kaybird
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperwendy View Post
Can you currently see any of the construction while riding dumbo? I know they planted some trees a while back. We are going to WDW soon and I'd ride Dumbo if I could peek over the wall!
Here are some shots I took from Dumbo about Dec. 17th. Really exciting to see the progress...

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #23
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

nicely put together - good job.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #24
Berlioz70
DIS Veteran

NEW Aeriel Photo: http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/...ction-site.htm

First post updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheblood View Post
nicely put together - good job.
Thank you!
Berlioz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

hey everyone..
I posted this on the 1st thread but i wanted post it here..
So everyone gets a chance to read it..

Thank you again barlioz07 for starting Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilais_mommie View Post
now has for what i saw and hear from my trip..

you can see work being done from dumbo..
(sorry no pics DD wouldnt stop going up and down)

they seem to be doing most the work on TLM Ride..
I think they maybe trying to get the rides' frame work done by the time toontown closes..

I was able to talk to a few CMs, one of which really seem to know what was going on.. ( also the only cm i saw wearing a check blue shirt / soild light blue & nice black coat??? maybe a higher ranting CM?? ) anyone know?

He was able to talk to me from about 20min why DH was getting FP..

He told me about Tinkerbelle moving to DHS and then on the epcot..
This MAY NOT where they will end up... It made it sound as if the Pixie area was almost off table if not scrapped all together..
And that placing them in DHS and then Epcot was a way of testing to see how guests react..

Mickey and Minnies houses:
(Quote) " Mickey has house is in DisneyLand & would rather sleep in cinderella's castle on vacation. Wouldn't you??" (unquote)
he would say nothing else on that topic..
sorry i guess its a tight lip sercet..

Railroad..
I was told that they are doing everything they can to keep it open..
They DO NOT want to close it if they can avoid it..
That all i was able to get..
We have a great trip.. even if after everyone got sick... ( it must have been those 32 degree nights)

Last edited by Lorilais_mommie; 01-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #26
julirina
Close your mouth, Michael. We are not a codfish.

Quote:
The designs and colors are very cute. You essentially go through the entire movie. You're in your little clam shell car, go backwards into the "water" which is this area underneath this light up "water's surface" and because of this surface (I have no clue what it would be made of) it actually does kind of look like you dive underwater. For the "Kiss the girl" scene you come up out of the water and onto the surface which already has Ariel and Eric floating on it in their row boat. Just like the video linked on the page shows you also go into Ursula's lair and are there for "Under the Sea".
RE: Ariel's attraction -- I watched the video -- does anyone else get the feeling that it's a lot like Nemo & Friends but without the real water & fish? Maybe it's just the clam-mobiles but I'm getting a kind of copycat feel. Is there anything to indicate that this will be a really fresh new ride? It seems surprising that a brand-new, expensive-to-build E-Ticket attraction would be basically the same thing that already exists just one park away.

julirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #27
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
RE: Ariel's attraction -- I watched the video -- does anyone else get the feeling that it's a lot like Nemo & Friends but without the real water & fish? Maybe it's just the clam-mobiles but I'm getting a kind of copycat feel. Is there anything to indicate that this will be a really fresh new ride? It seems surprising that a brand-new, expensive-to-build E-Ticket attraction would be basically the same thing that already exists just one park away.
I was thinking the same thing. I really hope there's more to it that we don't know about yet.

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #28
Lillian Gracey
Lady in Blue

I wouldn't say it's a copy-cat because TLM ride concept came first, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #29
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by julirina View Post
well, the idea of riding through an area while annimatronics, etc. tell a known story isn't really new (Peter Pan, Snow White, etc.) .... so I think it is the fact that the Nemo ride is still relatively new so it seems like two rides, built somewhat close together (from a timing perspective) and tell a story that involves being under the water and you ride in clam shaped "cars" does make it seem a little copy-catish

but, if it was something other than clams and if the nemo ride was built 20 years ago, I don't think we would think it was a copycat

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm wondering if the Gaston's Tavern restaurant will have Gaston, the bimbettes and Lefou show up from time to time. I think that would be fun.

It's important to remember that the ride that is being built, althought it may end up having some similarities, is NOT the one on the DVD. The big difference is that the one on the DVD has the cars suspended from an overhead track like Peter Pan's Flight, but the one that is being built has been confirmed to be an omni-mover like Haunted Mansion.

Dan
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: