Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Olaf
DIS Cast Member

Using My Points in Europe

At the suggestion of Carol, at the US DVC board, I'm posting this question over here.

We're a military family, set to be in Europe for the next three years. Was wondering about using our points over here: I know Disney Paris is an option, but I was wondering about other possibilities. Have any of you ever traded out for something on this side of the pond?

After some research, it's looking as if renting the points out and then using the cash would be the best option. The Disney Med Cruise looks really good.

Would appreciate any input. Many thanks.

Last edited by Olaf; 11-12-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
princess jackson
DIS Veteran

I have only used my point for Paris, sorry not able to help.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
KENNYBOT
Earning My Ears

Turning points to cash

It seems you're right. My research shows points are worth more using inside DVC> If you can, I think its better to turn them to cash and then plan to stay wherever you wish. Enjoy.
KENNYBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Agree with your thinking. Best use of DVC is at DVC resorts. We always book cash for DCL.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-5), Bay Lake Towers (7), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (8), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (4), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

a few years ago would have been ok but disney try to get you to use points in dvc so the points outside are a bad option, agree with most to rent out and use the cash instead
Paul
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

The OP asked a reasonable question which has no simple answer, particulary the generic "trading never makes financial sense" points being made here. That's a gospel that never takes into account where and when one is looking to trade into, much less the increasing complaints about the drop in upkeep and service at many Disney properties, much less the fact supply of rental points is currently way above demand for them.

So to help the OP:

First, I would do a thumbs down on Disney Paris, in that you are forced to buy a full stay park ticket when reserving there which basically destroys the value of using those resorts as a home base for properly touring Paris or other areas near it. However, if you don't care about that and only want to do the parks, then full speed ahead.

Secondly, here is how I would approach your question on finding European trade options:

Determine what countries you are really interested in, since number of potential RCI properties varies (decent numbers in the U.K. and Spain/Portugal, a handful in Italy, one each in Austria and Croatia, a few in Greece . Unfortunately, nothing in France, Germany, Scandanavia and Switzerland). Also note that for classification purposes, the DVC accessible RCI European properties include three beach resorts in the Canary Islands (which are off the coast of Africa).

Assess the kind of travel experience you want. You'll generally find that urban locations (i.e. "culture," the first thing most people look for in Europe) tend to skew "hotelish" with true time share properties generally falling into the rural resort category.

Once you have zeroed in on the areas and type of properties you are most interested in, google the ones that come up in RCI. Fifteen minutes reading about them on TripAdvisor will tell you more than anyone here can about the property itself and will leave you with a clear sense of whether it is worth considering as a trade.

Last edited by CandyMandy; 01-03-2011 at 09:11 PM.
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: