Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Hotel in Miami

Not sure where to post this, so I thought I would try here first.

We are coming in from the UK to Miami, as it is cheaper than directly into Orlando.

We need to spend the night in Miami before heading up to Orlando. We will have picked a rental car up from the airport.

We want to avoid any "bad" areas - you know because according to CSI Miami the place is a hotbed of murder....... although never seen a middle aged, podgy red head get bumped off. See I knew there was a reason I wasn't a young skinny blonde girl for a reason

We don't mind driving for a bit but probably not more than about an hour given we would have just gotten off a 10 hour flight with 3 small children.

Would like pool and need to be able to accommodate the 5 of use although bubs will still be in a cot/crib.

So if anyone has any recommendations we would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Kirsten
Old 12-31-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Since I live in Miami I can't really suggest what hotel is good but I can suggest looking in the Doral area which I know has several hotels and is a 5-10 minute drive to the west of the airport.Then to get up to Orlando you can get on the Turnpike which is also next to Doral,that way you can avoid taking the crazier I-95 altogether.
Register to remove

Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
racechick8293
Mouseketeer

I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for a few years, spent some time in Miami as well. IMO, the areas immediately around MIA are a bit questionable.

I would recommend getting on the turnpike and driving about 30 minutes north and staying around Davie. There are some reasonably priced options on University Drive in that area. There's a LaQuinta on the west side of University that I stayed at about 1.5 years ago. It was clean, safe, and very inexpensive.
racechick8293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Orlando Vic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick8293 View Post
I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area for a few years, spent some time in Miami as well. IMO, the areas immediately around MIA are a bit questionable.
I agree. The immediate airport area is not the best. I would suggest posting your question here: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida/. Fodor's has many forums, much broader in scope than this one. You could probably get more detailed answers there.

Welcome to the U.S.of A., Kirsten! Have a good time in Central Florida.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Vic View Post
I agree. The immediate airport area is not the best. I would suggest posting your question here: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/florida/. Fodor's has many forums, much broader in scope than this one. You could probably get more detailed answers there.

Welcome to the U.S.of A., Kirsten! Have a good time in Central Florida.
Thank you very much everyone, I will certainly ask my question on the forum you suggested and thank you for the warm welcome.

Kirsten